Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Let's talk about webgame. If you were a 00s kid and had a computer then you for sure played a lot of web games, or you're lying or you had no childhood. Web games were ftw because they were free, and free = best price for games. What were your favorites etc?
  • Hunted to (2? II?) Extinction: It was pvp final fantasy 5. Enough said. I'm still obsessed with this game even though it only existed for like a year in the early 2000s. I think it was written entirely in html which is pretty impressive lol, hope someone remakes it eventually.

• Realm of the Mad God: I played a lot of this during my "Wu Tang phase" when I was 17. Like hardcore diablo meets pixel roguelite bullet hell indie treasure. I would chill out listening to 90s rap and grind for stat boosting pots until the server inevitably lagged and everyone near anything dangerous died instantly. I think this one might still exist or it least it did a couple years ago.

• Gunbound: This doesn't technically count because you had to download and install it but Gunbound is godly, my absolute favorite game ages 11-13ish until I got addicted to mmos. If you somehow don't know what Gunbound is it's just anime worms. I played A Sate and when season 2 launched Kalsiddon. "New Gunbound" is currently in development but got covided, however I still believe and will 100% play it when it comes out and I hope imps join me.

• QWOP: This was my game of choice in high school graphic design class when my friend showed it to me. I figured out how to actually run but I don't think I ever made it past the hurdle. During this time I also got really good at T spin Tetris.

• Kingdom of Loathing: More of an honorable mention really since I know someone else will definitely mention it. I soured on this game and stopped thinking it was funny after a couple of years but I definitely played a lot of it up until that point. However it's still a one of a kind game. My favorite class: Disco Bandit.

• Neopets: I didn't play Neopets :smugmrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Was a big Gunbound head meself. And Neopets of course. Meerca chase hype.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i tried neopets once and couldnt understand it

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I tried doing the pokemon battles in neopets once. During the battle you could send chat messages along with taking your turn so I would quote sephiroth's coolest lines or whatever, I was 14. But the person I was battling called me mean for doing that, so I apologized. Turned out they were a 30-something mom, and they became my first and only neofriend.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was a big runescape head. My cousin from Australia showed me when we were 7 years old and I played it off and on until I was about 13 lol. To this day I still spin it up and play for a while when I'm nostalgic. It was technically not a free game but you better believe i got a lot of mileage out of the F2P stuff as a kid. At the time it was cheap enough that it was fairly easy to convince even my broke rear end parents to pay for it sometimes.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I played Runescape as well and my only real memories of it are mining a lot and upon logging in seeing a guy in full plate armor walking away and saying "Oh no, a noob!"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Adventure Quest at the well named website Battleon.com

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i think we all enjoyed making brittany spears crash her car on Newgrounds dot com.

RATS!
Dec 23, 2008

i bought like 100 tickets everyday on the neopets lottery and finally won twice in a row then they permabanned me and made me write a 500 word essay to get my account back (didnt work :( )

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Miniclip was my go-to for Flash games back when i was a kid just starting to use the internet. i spent way too many hours trying to get on the daily leaderboards of whatever random games i found.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

runod posted:

i bought like 100 tickets everyday on the neopets lottery and finally won twice in a row then they permabanned me and made me write a 500 word essay to get my account back (didnt work :( )

sounds like whoever that person is that made you do that is now a something awful moderator

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

we played Candystand mini-golf basically everyday in study hall for a year

then when 9/11 happened, we all refreshed the homepage of CNN.com over and over that day to follow the news, before getting bored and switching over to making obscene drawings on public Inklink games

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I was obsessed with neopets as a kid, although all I really remember now is that Kacheeks, whose name I just had to look up, were my favorite species and that I had one of the dogs too.

Also big into RuneScape, I don’t think I even really liked the actual game all that much but it was cool to have a free browser game that I could play with my friends

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I was obsessed with neopets as a kid, although all I really remember now is that Kacheeks, whose name I just had to look up, were my favorite species and that I had one of the dogs too.

Mine were the Bori, the cute armadillos, who I think at the time were like, the least popular neopet that was publically available.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I never heard of either of those so you guys must be new blood scrubs. Did the SJWs cuck the RP forums yet, liberal?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I played a game called Popamundo with my friend where you pretend to be a musician in a band. Our band was a punk band called The Communihilists which was based on us being 13 and learning about both of those things in social studies. And maybe I had seen the big Lebowski at the time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

symbolic posted:

Miniclip was my go-to for Flash games back when i was a kid just starting to use the internet. i spent way too many hours trying to get on the daily leaderboards of whatever random games i found.
My friends and I played a bunch of that helicopter game.

I also played a ton of Motherlode over at xgengames. It was a really fun game, my favorite Flash game by far. There's a remake you can download on PS3 (and maybe PS4?) and it's a fun way to kill a few hours.

Edit: Also got into the Ball Revamped series, which was a weird physics-based game where you bounced a ball around. In the fourth or fifth game you fight one of the bosses from Smash Bros. The guy who made them, JMTB02, did some cool stuff with Flash.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 27, 2021

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

My friends and I played a bunch of that helicopter game.

I also played a ton of Motherlode over at xgengames. It was a really fun game, my favorite Flash game by far. There's a remake you can download on PS3 (and maybe PS4?) and it's a fun way to kill a few hours.

Your boss is Mr. Natas, who is also the final boss (Satan).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

Your boss is Mr. Natas, who is also the final boss (Satan).
They changed this in the remake and it pissed me off.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Wormskull posted:

I never heard of either of those so you guys must be new blood scrubs. Did the SJWs cuck the RP forums yet, liberal?

I would have been playing mostly around 2001 or 2002 I think. I just looked up the guys arrhythmia was talking about and don’t recognize them though so I guess he was on a little more recently than I was. I was obsessed with that game, I have no idea why I barely remember any of it now, even allowing for the fact that it’s been nearly 20 years

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

was maple story one of these? i never played it but it made a splash in fyad for awhile, a million years ago

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Neopets was a site that housed dozens of games. My favorite Neopets games were Meerca Chase, Cheat! and Neoquest.

I liked that tank game a lot. I also played a lot of bad NewGrounds games that have blurred together on me now.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

blowing all your coins to look like a pimp for exactly 48 hours ftw

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

God I miss Gunbound.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
played a poo poo ton of games on miniclip and addictinggames, dunno why but i never really went on newgrounds. also played a bunch of club penguin but always got banned for being an epic 11 year old on the internet and posting FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK etc

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

was maple story one of these? i never played it but it made a splash in fyad for awhile, a million years ago

Maple Story is how I became a poster here

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

It was a client-based game, like gunbound.

the grow flash games were really cool: http://www.eyezmaze.com/sp

tawal fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 27, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

There was one website we used to go to in high school that was mostly Java games I think. I played a bunch of one of them on there. It was a shmup where you moved with the mouse and everything was made out of simple shapes but it felt really satisfying to play. I don’t remember the name of the site or the game. cheers

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

They changed this in the remake and it pissed me off.

Well now I'm pissed too.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I bet if someone rolled out a really good Club Penguin style social/minigame hub it'd make tons of money.

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
Loved Gunbound, played it a ton with my brother.

Also when I was like 12, I played an MMO called Graal Online that was basically LttP with multiplayer. Guy hit me with a yo momma joke and responded "lol good" when I pretended she was dead to make him feel bad and I was genuinely scandalized even though my mom was still alive.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Mamamedia dot com

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Did neopets but i also played gang wars(?) for a long while as a kid.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The only things that got me through computer lab were Falling Sand Game and a Flash rocket building game called Into Space.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
Insane Aquarium demo at computer lab then me and the other guy were called gay for playing it so never again

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

there were a bunch of really cool japanese flash games called dismantlement where you would have to take apart something like an alarm clock or a hard drive or a hamburger with just a screwdriver, but they would all turn out to be zero escape style puzzles with secret clues hidden everywhere and when you got to the bottom you had to defuse a bomb.

those were kinda the twilight era of flash games though, i spent most of my middle school days playing whatever euro platformer crap was on shockwave.com like fat boy raids the cookie factory and some runescape here and there

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sex Tragedy posted:

Insane Aquarium demo at computer lab then me and the other guy were called gay for playing it so never again

Insaniquarium owns

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I played a lot of this game called Battletanks where you were supposed to go around in this top down environment and shoot other people who were tanks, but instead I just towed around blocks to make bridges all the time. I have no idea what happened to this game because there's a dozen other lovely webgames called Battletanks out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

not an early 00s title but Fallen London was my favorite browser game for sure, absolutely loved the writing and setting even if it had lovely real-time cooldowns on doing certain stuff