Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
love 2 bomb interviews by channeling my relentless negativity and focusing exclusively on talking about everything i'm bad at and/or not familiar with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
read a sales book

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm a manager now, this is weird

when does my class traitor welcome packet get here?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
when are you in manager meetings discussing how your subordinates are going to be laid off and then you don't tell them because it'd cause "disruption"

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

just got the rejection email after spending five hours on google meets today talking to managers and doing tech interviews and trying to say the right poo poo. i am owned

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

that has happened to me 3 times recently and I think I'm heading towards the fourth time

I think it's partly due to covid downsizing increasing competition a lot, at least here in the uk, since it was seemingly much easier to get a job in the past

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
Does anyone have a link to that (offsite) thread a guy posted where he was complaining that he never got past the phone screens, but he had recorded a bunch of them and he was extremely terse to the point of being uncomfortably standoffish? I remember it being discussed here but I can't find it with the threadsearch.

All the calls were some variation of:

:haw: Hi, thanks for meeting with us today.

:geno: Hello.

:haw: So, it says here you have three years of JavaScript.

:geno: Yes.

:) What sort of projects have you worked on?

:geno: Web Apps

:shrug: Okay...

A mate of mine is trying to get their second job (after their first post-uni that they've been in for 5 years) and they're pretty nervous, not super confident to begin with, and I'm trying to convince them they'll do fine.

Edit: of course I find it after I post.
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20197206
He kind of owns in this one actually lol: https://soundcloud.com/freework/1d20190530155359pnull?in=freework/sets/phone-interviews

Chopstick Dystopia fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 21, 2021

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

Does anyone have a link to that (offsite) thread a guy posted where he was complaining that he never got past the phone screens, but he had recorded a bunch of them and he was extremely terse to the point of being uncomfortably standoffish? I remember it being discussed here but I can't find it with the threadsearch.

All the calls were some variation of:

:haw: Hi, thanks for meeting with us today.

:geno: Hello.

:haw: So, it says here you have three years of JavaScript.

:geno: Yes.

:) What sort of projects have you worked on?

:geno: Web Apps

:shrug: Okay...

A mate of mine is trying to get their second job (after their first post-uni that they've been in for 5 years) and they're pretty nervous, not super confident to begin with, and I'm trying to convince them they'll do fine.

Edit: of course I find it after I post.
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20197206
He kind of owns in this one actually lol: https://soundcloud.com/freework/1d20190530155359pnull?in=freework/sets/phone-interviews

That's Forum super star HOW?!?! Who also insists that because you don't get a 1:1 resume to offer there's no shortage of engineers and there's actually a super large glut! Because otherwise you'd be forced to take any resume you can regardless of the experience, fit, or personality.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Thinking about quitting my job this year and taking a break. Got a nice little nut tucked away and don't have rent/mortgage right now. A little worried about getting back into the job market if I do take a few months off though. Some people make it feel like career suicide to do this and no one will want to hire you with a gap in your resume/if you're already not working. Would I be loving up my career if I do this

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

my bitter bi rival posted:

Thinking about quitting my job this year and taking a break. Got a nice little nut tucked away and don't have rent/mortgage right now. A little worried about getting back into the job market if I do take a few months off though. Some people make it feel like career suicide to do this and no one will want to hire you with a gap in your resume/if you're already not working. Would I be loving up my career if I do this

Founder My Bitter bi Rival
7/21 - 7/22
Consultant for doing back end things.

Hey look no gap!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

better to avoid gaps but the consulting/small biz thing is a dece dodge if ur taking a break

I’d try to book a few small contracts or have some projects to talk about if they ask

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

PCjr sidecar posted:

better to avoid gaps but the consulting/small biz thing is a dece dodge if ur taking a break

I’d try to book a few small contracts or have some projects to talk about if they ask

spin up consulting company A. have buddy spin up consulting company B. both of you gently caress around. when the time to go back to work comes you talk about how A and B had a lotta contracts w one another. no, they were handshake sorta deals

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I took almost a full year off and literally told people “I decided I wanted a break to work on personal projects” but that was coming out of an 8 year tenure at one company so that might have helped. just own it imo, I wouldn’t want to work somewhere that cared about poo poo like that.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

it’s a spectrum; in an ideal world it wouldn’t matter but like so much else it depends on how much demand there is for your skills in your location. a senior ux designer or aws architect in the bay vs early career it generalist or qa analyst in des moines

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

qirex posted:

I took almost a full year off and literally told people “I decided I wanted a break to work on personal projects” but that was coming out of an 8 year tenure at one company so that might have helped. just own it imo, I wouldn’t want to work somewhere that cared about poo poo like that.

this is almost my exact situation, i've been here for like 8 years and i'm just running low. recruiters already look at me like im a psycho for having been at one job for so long in the bay area. thanks for giving me the advice i wanted to hear haha

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

my bitter bi rival posted:

this is almost my exact situation, i've been here for like 8 years and i'm just running low. recruiters already look at me like im a psycho for having been at one job for so long in the bay area. thanks for giving me the advice i wanted to hear haha

the stress of nujob can be ameliorated by asking for like 75k more

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Hughlander posted:

That's Forum super star HOW?!?! Who also insists that because you don't get a 1:1 resume to offer there's no shortage of engineers and there's actually a super large glut! Because otherwise you'd be forced to take any resume you can regardless of the experience, fit, or personality.

Oh my god I had no idea this was HOW but it makes perfect sense.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

read a sales book

Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It is a fun and easy read in this vein.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
wow this guy sounds just like Sol from the Jerky Boys

Iverron
May 13, 2012

not really surprising but the very liberal use of the remote flag on SO jobs is getting a little old

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Iverron posted:

not really surprising but the very liberal use of the remote flag on SO jobs is getting a little old

ugh seriously. the "potentially remote for the right candidate" poo poo sucks. oh, so if I'm SUPER good, you'll give me an opportunity to be ignored because none of your work culture accounts for remote employees? what a deal!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

being completely ignored while still getting paychecks is the dream though

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that was an old dealio from sa greyforums where that really did happen to someone, right?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

that was an old dealio from sa greyforums where that really did happen to someone, right?

ya his name was moonshine i think i was going to try and pull it up but archives are broken lol

edit here it is: https://sites.google.com/site/forgottenemployee/

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 27, 2021

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

well, there's definitely some guy on the internet that said it happened. it's not clear to me what the relationship to reality is

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
that story will always be real because i want it to be real

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

barkbell posted:

that story will always be real because i want it to be real

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Iverron posted:

Also ones which are remote but only if you live in a specific country, and which don't bother to state this until you're 10 forms deep in the application process (almost always the USA)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

pointsofdata posted:

Also ones which are remote but only if you live in a specific country, and which don't bother to state this until you're 10 forms deep in the application process (almost always the USA)

I sorta get it if an application says "oh yeah be within n amount hours of this time zone", but the rest is some corpo bs. I've seen it a lot for american companies (because of course), but a ton of canadian and even UK corps do it as well.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Boiled Water posted:

I sorta get it if an application says "oh yeah be within n amount hours of this time zone", but the rest is some corpo bs. I've seen it a lot for american companies (because of course), but a ton of canadian and even UK corps do it as well.

I understand why they do it (they don't want to suddenly discover that their contractor in France has been reclassified as an employee and are now on the hook for $$$ in social security), but it's often bs corp stuff and the american ones never bother to even state it!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's because doing payroll and taxes for someone who works in a different country is a legal pain in the rear end.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jabor posted:

It's because doing payroll and taxes for someone who works in a different country is a legal pain in the rear end.

If I can possibly put pain in a company rear end I shall endeavor to do so!

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
what are the key things to look for when talking to a startup?

this company contacted me. 3yr runway, pay range and bonuses seem good, but the glassdoor reviews are not so good. apparently new ceo came in summer 2020 and upset things, lots of engineering left, "its not the same", etc. is that just normal startup growing pains or what do i make of it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i think you just need to ask questions about it

if your interviewers are offended about you asking, or really bad-mouth the people that left it's a super bad sign, but it is possible that everyone acted like adults and it was just a difference of opinion about the direction of the company, which is fine

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
well the final interview would be with the ceo so i can ask him if i get there

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The CEOs answer is important, but ask some of the lower-level people about it too so that you get a more balanced perspective.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

barkbell posted:

well the final interview would be with the ceo so i can ask him if i get there

yep, that is probably wise and good. be diplomatic though, as it is plenty likely that the ceo came in and nixed a bunch of dumb startup bullshit.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

barkbell posted:

what are the key things to look for when talking to a startup?

this company contacted me. 3yr runway, pay range and bonuses seem good, but the glassdoor reviews are not so good. apparently new ceo came in summer 2020 and upset things, lots of engineering left, "its not the same", etc. is that just normal startup growing pains or what do i make of it

One thing to keep in mind with glassdoor/blind - there's a pretty big reporting bias. All the people who think the company is middle-of-the-road probably aren't going to post about it.

Like say a company is 200 employees strong, and has an extra 200 former employees. If 350 out of 400 thought it was fine or good, that's 50 who had a bad experience for whatever reason (including that they might be shitlords). Maybe 25 of them bitch about the company online. Those people are probably also dumb as hell, or else they wouldn't do something shortsighted like badmouthing an old employer.

I'm not saying they're right or wrong with their reviews - just that you don't see all the people who don't think it's worth posting

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Carnage4Life/status/1355187699305472014

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
i put in my two weeks last friday and since my boss and i are on good terms i stupidly told him where i was going. how hosed am i? should I just consider myself unemployed at this point and start looking for another job? my boss doesn’t seem like a complete rear end in a top hat but the company im leaving has a huge legal department and the new company is a start up so im worried they’ll lean on them to rescind the offer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

greps of wrath posted:

i put in my two weeks last friday and since my boss and i are on good terms i stupidly told him where i was going. how hosed am i? should I just consider myself unemployed at this point and start looking for another job? my boss doesn’t seem like a complete rear end in a top hat but the company im leaving has a huge legal department and the new company is a start up so im worried they’ll lean on them to rescind the offer
If you don't have some enforceable non-compete contract or something what leverage does your boss have over this new company that they/you can't just tell him to stuff it?