Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

There are AAA to AA adapter you can buy if you want a less hacky solution.
How many grams does it save over an AA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Depends on the adapter, I assume.

If you want the lightest batteries possible, get Lithium (not lithium-ion) batteries like the Energizer Ultimate Lithium, or the VARTA Ultra Lithium.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tornhelm posted:

For gaming, the Razer Basilisk Ultimate is better than the G502 wireless. Literally the only thing the G502 has on it is the infinite scroll wheel and slightly more accessible sniper button. The scroll on its lowest resistance has no tactile feel and is kind of similar, and I find the sniper button position useless on both of them, so that makes no difference to me. Oh and the Basilisk has the optical switches instead of the lovely ones that fail after a year that Logitech have been using.

I use my G502 wireless for work, but for literally everything else I use the Basilisk.
Yeah the sniper button on the G502 is useless for me.

The Basilik looks very interesting. The shape is uh... dangerously close to copyright infringement, but that's fine by me since I love the G502 shape.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah the sniper button on the G502 is useless for me.

The Basilik looks very interesting. The shape is uh... dangerously close to copyright infringement, but that's fine by me since I love the G502 shape.

Especially compared to the 502, I thought the Basilik (V2) was great. Though I didn't have much of an issue with either "sniper button".

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I went from the G502 to the Basilisk (V1): I use the long sniper button (there are two variants included in the box, a short and a long one - not sure whether this is still the case with V2). Fits my hand way better than the G502, that one is simply way too long.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Rinkles posted:

Wouldn't that rattle? (and I think that would still put the Basilisk X over 100g)

Surprisingly, no. The couple times I swapped out the 2 AAs in my g602 for a single AAA you'd never know other than the weight.

Fame Douglas posted:

There are AAA to AA adapter you can buy if you want a less hacky solution.

This is also an option.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

I went from the G502 to the Basilisk (V1): I use the long sniper button (there are two variants included in the box, a short and a long one - not sure whether this is still the case with V2).

My V2 only came with one. I think it's the long one.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Especially compared to the 502, I thought the Basilik (V2) was great. Though I didn't have much of an issue with either "sniper button".
I use a semi-palm grip so my thumb can't reach the sniper button. :(

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Josh Lyman posted:

I use a semi-palm grip so my thumb can't reach the sniper button. :(

I had the same issue with the G502, the Basilisk sniper button is way more reachable. Might work for you.

I use it as a Teamspeak/Discord push-to-talk button.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
When I switched to the basilisk ultimate from the 502, my first thought was that the sniper button was in a weird spot and I couldn't comfortably reach it, now it's no problem and today I whipped out the 502 and immediately thought the sniper button was in a weird spot and I couldn't comfortably reach it

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Vaxee (ex-Zowie people) have a new ergo mouse: https://www.vaxee.co/eu/news.php?act=view&id=70

No strong feelings on it.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Neurosis posted:

Vaxee (ex-Zowie people) have a new ergo mouse: https://www.vaxee.co/eu/news.php?act=view&id=70

No strong feelings on it.

No good clear images, just an 8 minute YouTube video that I can't be assed to watch.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Disclaimer: I'm not sure if this is the best thread, feel free to suggest a more suitable one :confused:

I just got a pretty nice projector and I would like to do some relaxed, turn-based gaming from my couch and/or standing. Think Paradox games or isometric RPGs. Are there alternatives to the classic 'wireless M&K on a breakfast tray' for point-and-click gaming?

- The Steam controller should have been perfect for this purpose, but it appears to have been a commercial failure. Was it a technical failure as well or is it worth grabbing an old one?

- Other than that, trackballs look like the most sensible option. There are plenty of wireless trackballs, but are any designed to be held in the air?

- Thinking about it, a gamepad with a trackball might be what I want. Looks like Nvidia has recently patented such a design, so maybe in 2023 or so...

- There are also keyboards meant for smart TV with a trackball in the top right. The design could very well work, but all the ones I've seen are tiny and uncomfortable, clearly meant just to operate a menu or navigate YouTube, not to be actively used for gaming.

- Likewise, there's a bunch of tiny "presentation mice" around that don't look at all comfortable for being used for hours at a time

- Virtual reality controllers are certainly designed to be used in the middle of the living room. Can they emulate a mouse in a halfway decent way?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've got a logitech M570 for couch mousing and it's fantastic for that. I don't play games with it usually, but it's functional the couple times I have. Since all the sensors are within the shell it can be used in any orientation.

I've only ever seen one person, in person or on the internet, say they prefer the steam controller to a regular one, and that was yesterday.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Some Goon posted:

I've got a logitech M570 for couch mousing and it's fantastic for that. I don't play games with it usually, but it's functional the couple times I have. Since all the sensors are within the shell it can be used in any orientation.

Where do you rest it? Couch arm? I've got a big couch so I might not sit near the right arm. Or is it comfortable to let it rest it along your thigh?

E: Hmm, now I kinda want to fashion a palm strap to wrap around a regular trackball.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

Where do you rest it? Couch arm? I've got a big couch so I might not sit near the right arm. Or is it comfortable to let it rest it along your thigh?

Usually, or for short mousing I'll just palm it and us it midair. It'll work in any position, so if you can find a place that's comfortable to rest your arm you can use it there; I could imagine it getting old to have it by your side for an extended period of time, but you can always move it, put it in your lap, etc.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I RMAd a G Pro Wireless in April, as my original one was double-clicking on middle-clicks. Unsurprisingly, the new one started doing that as well, but now Logitech's RMA process requires video proof (a click-measuring website, with the ticket number and the mouse itself visible). I can shoot a video of it happening, but that's pretty insulting, given that it's a known issue and has been for over a year.

I have a Powerplay charging mat and would prefer not to give it up. Are there any Powerplay-compatible mice that don't have these lovely switches? Or am I better off just jumping through the hoop while RMA technically covers it?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's likely not the switches, but the way Logitech and others are using them to reduce power usage.

The only mice currently on the market that aren't likely to have the same issues are the Razer mice with optical switches, since they can't experience the sort of failure these mechanical switches are.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

NihilCredo posted:

- The Steam controller should have been perfect for this purpose, but it appears to have been a commercial failure. Was it a technical failure as well or is it worth grabbing an old one?
The Steam Controller is great for games that don't work well with gamepads, and mine have been reliable, but they definitely feel prototypey compared to the major consoles.

quote:

- Virtual reality controllers are certainly designed to be used in the middle of the living room. Can they emulate a mouse in a halfway decent way?
There are solutions to do this with Wiimotes, not sure if anyone has done it with VR controllers but no technical reason it couldn't be done at least with Lighthouse or OG Oculus Touch. Later Rift S/Quest stuff wouldn't work.

edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/751j8d/vive_controller_as_a_mouse_pointer_v03/

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 1, 2021

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
Do newer razer mice save settings on the mouse itself or do I need to load up the razer app everytime on startup? The only ones I have experience so far are the older ones that needed the app open all the time.

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!

RocketSurgeon posted:

Do newer razer mice save settings on the mouse itself or do I need to load up the razer app everytime on startup? The only ones I have experience so far are the older ones that needed the app open all the time.

I have a Deathadder v2, and there is definitely an option in Synapse to change and save your on-board profiles. So you would probably only have to run it once, make your tweaks, and delete it. There is a button on the bottom of this mouse to switch between profiles, and the Razer Viper I had previously had the same button. I only replaced the Viper because I have long skinny fingers and use something closer to a palm grip, so I found it too small to use comfortably. I would recommend it for most people, unless you fall into the same bracket as me.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

This feels like a dumb question, but I'll swing anyway - how are you actually supposed to hold and use a vertical mouse? I picked up one of these a bit over a month ago and I've been using it at work to try and mitigate some ergonomics-related nerve issues, but apparently I'm too dumb to figure out how I'm supposed to actually use it. If I hold it loose like I'm used to doing with other mice, my hand constantly slides down and my wrist tilts back to "normal", wiping out the benefits while making it more difficult to use than a normal mouse. If I hold it tight to my palm, I have to death-grip it and feel like I'm grinding it into my desk just to keep a good hold on it, putting a lot of pressure on the web of my thumb in the process because it has to match the other 4 fingers on its own - and even then my last finger drags on the desk constantly & my coordination/"aim" is totally hosed up. Neither really seems like a solution. It's not a bad size, either - fingers straight and palm against the mouse like normal, my fingertips rest right where I'd want to click at anyway. I just have no idea how the hell you're supposed to use it properly.

Yes, I know it's a lovely cheap mouse, I'm getting saddled with a lot of medical costs dealing with this and this is a proof-of-concept to determine if I really want to spring down the line + a backup in case other hardware fails.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you scroll down there is a picture of a hand holding it. Maybe you need to use it deeper into your desk so your elbow isnt suspended and you arent forced to death grip it. Try bending your wrist more towards you

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 4, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Fauxtool posted:

if you scroll down there is a picture of a hand holding it. Maybe you need to use it deeper into your desk so your elbow isnt suspended and you arent forced to death grip it. Try bending your wrist more towards you

Yeah, their example picture is terrible though especially for me - I have ulnar nerve issues so compressing the outside edge of my wrist/hand where the nerve runs (and the elbow, for that matter) defeats the whole purpose. Have to come at it slightly higher on the mouse to keep that uncompressed. My armrests are set up so that though my elbow is suspended to keep pressure off the cubital tunnel, my forearm can make contact just ahead of it and take the weight. Halfway works, but... work doesn't want to pay to replace our broken chairs and all the spares were gone through years ago, so it's that or no armrest and the latter sucks worse.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it sounds like the mouse was never the solution and everything else around it is really the problem. Maybe just go with a trackball and find a comfortable fixed position.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

That's pretty much my backup, yeah. The Anker just happened to be very cheap at the time & a friend's father with similar issues has one that helped him greatly, so I figured it was worth a shot.

Can't possibly be worse than the little standard mouse smaller than my palm that's all they'll provide without me paying for it, right?

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Why must $150 be the pricepoint for top wireless mice?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm using an old, cheap M+K logitech wireless combo (MK260, with 2.4Ghz dongle) for tv PCing, but recently its started to have connectivity issues. Sometimes it'll be a bit slow, sometimes some buttons won't work, sometimes nothing will work. I changed the batteries so its not that. I couldn't wake the computer with it after a while (worked after reinserting after waking).

Is this likely the reciever dying?

Should I just get something new? (E: suggestions welcome)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 4, 2021

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Should I just get something new? (E: suggestions welcome)

K400

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

one handy feature this keyboard had that isn't that common was a dedicated (PC) power button

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Did you change something about your setup, like move the receiver or add other USB devices?

Because with my TV PC setup (K270 keyboard + M560 mouse on a Unifying receiver) I had most of these problems, like the keyboard and mouse occasionally stopped working for a while, or only worked with a huge delay, or they randomly ignored some inputs but not others - until I moved the receiver some distance away from the computer with an extension cable.

If it's not just interference, you could try getting a replacement receiver before you replace the entire set. Otherwise, the (M)K270 still has the power button.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i added 2 external hdds at a similar time, but i hadn't used the M+K combo in years, so can't say for sure that it's related.

but what you describe is exactly what i've experienced, including the occasional delays. i'll see if i have a usb extender somewhere.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

got a laugh out of me

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Anyone know of an actual left handed mouse corded mouse that's not some weird ergo mouse? When I look for left handed mice I either find ambidextrous mice or ergo vertical mice.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
asking for left handed but not ergo seems like a strange request. Its for left hands, so its very likely going to be ergo.
You mean like a razer naga left handed?
https://www.razer.com/gaming-mice/razer-naga-left-handed-edition/RZ01-03410100-R3M1

it looks like they are back in stock but I would move fast, they dont stick around.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 9, 2021

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Like a regular right handed mouse, but in left.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Fauxtool posted:

asking for left handed but not ergo seems like a strange request. Its for left hands, so its very likely going to be ergo.
You mean like a razer naga left handed?
https://www.razer.com/gaming-mice/razer-naga-left-handed-edition/RZ01-03410100-R3M1

it looks like they are back in stock but I would move fast, they dont stick around.

I have this and I love it!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have this and I love it!

I really wished I had grabbed a left handed death adder when I looked at them 10 years ago as they now go for $money on ebay.

Edit: Holy poo poo I think I found a new one at a random computer store page out of Texas from 2010. Paypal protect me as I place this order.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 9, 2021

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Coredump posted:

I really wished I had grabbed a left handed death adder when I looked at them 10 years ago as they now go for $money on ebay.

Edit: Holy poo poo I think I found a new one at a random computer store page out of Texas from 2010. Paypal protect me as I place this order.

I had one back when and as much as I loved it, one button started double clicking like two years in. Hopefully yours doesn't have the same fate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Well the thing is I’m right handed but I’ve learned to be ambimousetrous to give my right shoulder a break. Using a ambidextrous mouse means the buttons are wrong in my left hand for left and right click and I’m swapping between mice on the fly. Having a dedicated left handed mouse lets the buttons be correct on both mice. It’s just this vertical mouse I got for left handing mousing is not great.