Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I get wanting to bring back Beloved Character Ink Witch after such a long time of having her sit in the sidelines but thanks to the comic's structure the timeline becomes extremely weird. The camera cannot leave Snout so the Ink Witch (and every other character) only exists in relation to Snout; the impression we have as readers is that all the Ink Witch and Arudak have been doing for all this time was try to get into contact with Snout again. It's so loving weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
That isn't an impression, it's all they've been doing.

Whenever Snout is on screen, everyone offscreen doesn't exist unless Snout is looking for them spends all their time asking "Where's Snout?"

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, the only ones that haven't been doing that are the two villains(?), though even in their case Snout's diary was somehow important enough to warrant blanking it out. Arudak and the Ink WItch have mutual backstory but that's background information, not part of the story being told.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hahahaha he is writing this loving comic by dartboard.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

skeleton warrior posted:

Because it sexualizes her in a creepy and stupid way? It's a Marilyn Monroe over the heat grate shot but she's clearly not wearing underwear to make it even more sexy, except it makes absolutely no sense because it's her ship so she should know what happens when she gets out and what would be appropriate clothes to wear.

Mookie's having a character do cheesecake they should be smart enough not to do for no reason other than he finds the character attractive and wants to get people off to her. Which is manipulative if he's trying to rehabilitate her by just having her be sexy. And stupid in-character. It's really awkward and wrong.

You're right, that is absolutely part of it. I think for me another part is how mundane it is, she could have used all kinds of magic to get down there and instead she just... hops out.

I'm also surprised that this didn't get dragged out the whole week. Like, I could see the Monday being "ooh, we've seen the ship, is it Ink Witch or Ink Mom?" then Wednesday the ship drops a big old blob of swirling ink, Snout goes to check it, arms reach out and grab him, and Friday is the reveal that yes, it is Ink Witch, we get this stupid reunion and he didn't have to have anything of note happen to upset the inertia of the current storyline.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pyrotoad posted:

He's vacuum-sealed her dress again for no reason in that last panel. Mookie really wanted to show us her vagina bones...

Remember: The ink witch is based on his actual wife. He wants to show us his wife's vagina bones.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I though that was the dryad who keeps grossly manhandling the flaccid satyr, was the ink witch also explicitly based on her? Or am I conflating "based on" and "used as a model" here.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

Seriously, Bitcoin?

Yep. Actually Etherium if you want to get specific.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

super sweet best pal posted:

Yep. Actually Etherium if you want to get specific.

Any relationship to the DAO fiasco? (Which was, honestly, hilarious on a historic level)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The best part is that this person that the protagonist cares so much about still doesn't have a name.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Nighthand posted:

I though that was the dryad who keeps grossly manhandling the flaccid satyr, was the ink witch also explicitly based on her? Or am I conflating "based on" and "used as a model" here.

They're both based on Mrs. Mookie and modeled after her. She's the only woman he's in regular contact with since he had to stop perving on burlesque models when the troupes he used to announce for threw him out for being too creepy. Consequently, she's probably the only woman he can get to model for him.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

That he wasn't ready for yet? Dream Snout was the first thing to happen in over and year and the characters are actively choosing to ignore it.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
"I don't know what's going on with your friend and I don't know who or what she is, but everything that's just happened to you wasn't supposed to and it was definitely her fault somehow."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

How does she know what Snout saw? Also how does she know corpselady is the reason when she doesn't know who or what she is? And did she just have that paper ready or did she write it between panels?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It really feels like this comic is steadily moving further and further away from the plot instead of progressing it and resolving anything.

Also nice white void, Mookie. He's really cranking these out as fast as possible

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Who the hell asks "who... or what... is she?" in this context, Mookie!?

The cliche only makes sense out loud! In writing it would be 'Who is she? What is she?' or else it would just be one of them! Asking both is a lazy dialogue choice to communicate 'woooo might not be human woooo' but here it's just totally redundant and stilted, AND IN WRITING

agh

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Remember she's not writing, but literally just talking through that piece of paper directly from her mind in this comic with no dialogue

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
"You've spent more chapters travelling with her than you have with me, and I won't stand for that."

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
It's definitely not a red flag that this person with a history of abusive and controlling behavior towards Snout, upon meeting him again for the first time after a period of separation, chooses as literally the first thing she tells him that the other woman he's been spending time with is a problem and having a bad effect on him and he should probably ditch her because she's dangerous and he doesn't need her.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The Ink Witch just magically knows the plot now? I'm calling it, she's a Deegan.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

YF-23 posted:

The Ink Witch just magically knows the plot now? I'm calling it, she's a Deegan.

I'm definitely assuming she's a Deegan, which is probably part of the reason the narrative is avoiding giving her a name.

Maybe she's named, like, Luna Deegan after her great great great grandmother or something. Or something else that would make it obvious.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The War in Hell Part 6

It's not a big thing, but man do I hate the lazy exposition of just having a character magically sense what's happening and explain it. Why are the panel with Miranda and Donovan even needed?

So Siggy feels that he needs a pretext to get Dominic into the Castle. Ok.

Never giver up a chance for a fantasy slur!

I love how much of a pointless flex the bottom four panels are. Even when his characters are supposed to be imperilled a little bit for the sake of plot, Mookie has to demonstrate that Dominic is actually always winning.

Given what we know is following, this isn't a bad bit of dramatic tension. I will say that the fated fatale was one of the more clever things Mookie came up with. It was a genuine blow to Dominic, and he kept his cards hidden for the first time in a long while.

These four strips are entirely wasted space, resolving a cliffhanger that led nowhere. This is what happens when you reflexively write cliffhanger updates on weekends

So, looping back to my above point, Siggy apparently felt the need to bring Dominic in under a pretext to help him root out corruption, but at the same time isn't above playing a hilarious prank on his old pal dominic. Dominic's 4th wall breaking scowl also sort of undercuts the urgency of the situation.

Mentioning Baaleth here means really little to the audience, but later on Mookie draws a kick rear end mega demon so I think this was him being impatient. I like that Stonewater is now a "prophecied"{sic} orc. Mookie-sue status confirmed

Here's another window into Mookie's psyche. Even in this story that is about corruption in the highest ranks of government and law enforcement, where all the agents of the law (except Siggy) have so far been portrayed as untrustworthy, Mookie still has to display his contempt for the criminal element, attributing them all the awful jock opinions (and slurs!) he himself would never have or use. It's not like this characterization adds anything, except once again to prove that Dominic is better than other people.

He also has a literal guardian angel in Klo Tark. I'm just going to spoil it and say that this does come up later in the war, when Klo Tark saves Dominic from falling and is subsequently somehow killed again by being stabbed, whereupon he fades away like Obi Wan Kenobi. What exactly was he? Who knows

Always be stabbing ladies between the titties. That's the rule

Those wings are pretty rad. Bulgak has to die though because he's stolen a protagonist's girlfriend, which we know is the most grievous sin of all.

I love the fact that for Mookie, any negative emotions between allies, even now, is the result of demonic corruption. And so is using slurs. But Bulgak, or Karnak, or Siggy, their evil is internal and unforgivable.

Here's the chapter break. Stonewater is going to prove he has amazing, previously unmentioned magic powers now. And yes, basically a Thor copy. The important thing is the Bulgak poisons people and turns them against stonewater, but it's all fake and in no way represents their real emotions.

Part 7 soon...

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

Joe Slowboat posted:

What happened to Erfworld, anyways? I stopped following it a while back. It was definitely... I mean, I don't want to overhype it, but at least all the pointless side characters were there because the author wanted to flesh out the setting Game of Thrones style, with severe amounts of deeply pointless worldbuilding. It at least has an aesthetic purpose, even if it's not something I care for.

Corpsechildwife is just utterly pointless.

Horrible answer in spoilers, sex stuff and suicide involved, absolutely nothing funny:

The creator's 20 year old stepson was arrested and on trial for loving a 13/14 year old. He supposedly was in the process of making a plea deal that would have put him on the sex offenders registry for 15 years, then committed suicide via car asphyxiation. His mom found him. Also she had cancer at the time. There's rumors the creator recorded some kind of unhinged audio file where he claimed the 13/14 year old lied about her age and the stepson was a victim because he was autistic, but I've never seen it out in the wild so I can't confirm it exists.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Well, that's incredibly horrible and I can't even begin to imagine being in the creator's shoes. loving hell.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Riot Bus posted:

I'm definitely assuming she's a Deegan, which is probably part of the reason the narrative is avoiding giving her a name.

Maybe she's named, like, Luna Deegan after her great great great grandmother or something. Or something else that would make it obvious.

Ugh, of course, her last name is Deegan, and that's why she doesn't have a name yet. I mean, that's why Mookie hasn't revealed her name yet. There's still absolutely no good reason why Snout hasn't even bothered to ask her yet.

Eventually Mookie will reveal this and he'll act like it's a brilliant twist instead of lazy rear end writing.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Ugh, of course, her last name is Deegan, and that's why she doesn't have a name yet. I mean, that's why Mookie hasn't revealed her name yet. There's still absolutely no good reason why Snout hasn't even bothered to ask her yet.

Eventually Mookie will reveal this and he'll act like it's a brilliant twist instead of lazy rear end writing.

Oh gently caress. lmao if this actually happens. Doubly so if it happens right at the very end of Legacy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bulgak's face in the bottom left panel is still one of the funniest art farts in Mookie's entire career.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The real question is, the gently caress is going on with his knee?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

The Little Death posted:

Always be stabbing ladies between the titties. That's the rule

Jayden's tentacle looks like it's poking orc girl's breasts and this is way funnier to me than it should be.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Riot Bus posted:

Gonna put my bet on "Miranda" instead.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
It's kinda sad how close he can get to actually funny or interesting moments but undercuts them because he can't ever let his protagonist's be in legit danger or have flaws

Like the bit with Dominic snapping at the lovely knight that he's gonna be alone and sick and covered in his own poop cuz nobody will love him. That would be a nice shot from an angry character trying to be defiant in a situation where he's helpless. But Mookie has never let the characters be in these situations so rather than being an actually interesting dynamic, it's just Dominic Being Always In Control again and takes all the bite out of the interaction.

It was harder to see all that when you'd only see a strip in the morning while eating breakfast, but reading it in rapid succession just really highlights how bad the narrative structures are

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Someone remind me again why Dominic can look into the future of this random knight but not the future of the people around him to see who dies.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

TheHan posted:

Someone remind me again why Dominic can look into the future of this random knight but not the future of the people around him to see who dies.

Dominic has knight vision

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

TheHan posted:

I just figured that he was bullshitting in the heat of the moment.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I can't remember that happens to racist knight character for poo poo, but 50/50 it's either "Celesto explodes him for being an rear end in a top hat once to Dominic" or "he's repentant later and his racism was all Siggy's fault somehow." Wild card option: both.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You forgot "never appears again". I don't think the guy has a name.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Zereth posted:

You forgot "never appears again". I don't think the guy has a name.

I think he definitely has a name

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 28, 2021

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

She understands english perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Yep all the manipulation and "character building" removed so Mookie can continue to get off.