Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think this album deserves its own thread to talk about - after all, Foo Fighters are probably the last great American Rock 'n' Roll band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1G6-RUz3OA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gnvQWwwoTg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJd82T1_o1A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm here for it. I dig the new songs so far, it's hard to figure out where the album's gonna rank ultimately. I have a feeling it's gonna turn out "just okay" but it still sounds more interesting than if they had just kept doing identical arena rock over and over. They are at least making an effort to keep it fresh, and it all sounds good. I'm a proponent of not waiting forever in hopes of unleashing your masterpiece and just recording whatever you've got.

I'm still a big fan of Concrete and Gold. The back half loses steam a bit, but at the very least it's got the best initial run of songs since their '90s albums. I remember not being so thrilled with "Run" when it first came out, but now the "T-Shirt / Run" sequence has become one of my all-time favorite album intros.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 1, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Edward Mass posted:

after all, Foo Fighters are probably the last great American Rock 'n' Roll band.

Styx is still touring OP

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Just found this topic. I made threads in the last two albums, but didn't thus time as Concrete and Gold was very disappointing. It's still my least favorite album of theirs.

This album comes out the day before my birthday, so hopefully it's good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

My initial listen is quite a big 'meh'. Love Dies Young is a nice closer though.

e: Also I know it shouldn't really matter but 36 minutes? Seriously?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So far I think my impression based on the singles was pretty much correct. It's a fun little romp but will probably not be considered a classic. Time will tell though. It's a little less "weird" than the last one, but that's not really a bad thing for a band like this. Still has some unexpected stuff. Certainly isn't just boilerplate Foo Fighters.

I don't really like how the drums sound on "Cloudspotter" but I do like everything else about it. Title track is pretty cool, that has the "Let's Dance" inspiration they've been talking about, but more of a minor key thing. I definitely want to listen to "Holding Poison" again, there was definitely some cool stuff going on there that I didn't fully process.

My assessment of "Waiting On A War" continues to be: Dave Grohl probably wrote this in his sleep, but that doesn't make it not a good song.

I agree that it's surprisingly short. I figured at least one of the 9 tracks would push past the 5 minute mark.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 5, 2021

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Holding Poison sounds like the track Grohl said he had a riff for 25 years for - the song could easily fit on s/t.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I dunno I didn't really dig this one. I didn't even know it existed until last week.

When a FF album drops, I'll usually enjoy maybe one or two songs and be lukewarm on the rest. Then I listen to it a few more times at work and it grows on me. And I am starting to like Shame Shame, Cloudspotter and Holding Poison, even if the whole time I'm thinking "man Wasting Light was a great album". No Son of Mine should have been the first track—setting the same energetic pace that Bridge Burning did.

stev posted:

e: Also I know it shouldn't really matter but 36 minutes? Seriously?

This. I know the Foo's have more money than god, but it's so weak.

IUG posted:

Concrete and Gold was very disappointing

Concrete and Gold was a weird album, but I dug songs like Sky is a Neighbourhood, Arrows and Dirty Water, even if it takes a bit for those songs to get going. I forgot Sonic Highways even existed, and I think MaM is going to be just as forgettable, unfortunately.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 31, 2021

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah my opinion of it definitely hasn't improved since release. Feels very much like a "we have to tour on something" record.

An aging rock band could certainly do much worse though. This would be a pretty great EP. I think Cloudspotter and Holding Poison are both pretty great, I never skip those when they come up. Waiting On a War is solid although it seems like there should be some other big climactic moment after the changeup. And the opening track is pretty fun even though it's kind of cheesy.

I still stick up for Concrete & Gold though. Loses some steam towards the end, but there's at least ⅔ of an album there that's the most interesting thing they've done in years. It really benefited from the album format, whereas this one, I can take it or leave it.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 30, 2021

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I finally ended up listening to this album only last month due to life and all. Despite not liking C&G, I did like this latest one, short though it is. I didn't really hear the disco influence, but some of the songs were ear worms. I came around on Shame Shame, being lukewarm on it when they released the music video.

Also my record store never got any copies of Hail Satin in, so now I have to wait for flippers to stop selling it at 10x the price. :argh:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
On the bright side, some cool poo poo happened last weekend.

https://youtu.be/jsDgrKdczAE

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bringing this topic up from the dead because Foo Fighters are making a pulp horror B movie.

https://youtu.be/UEDkqOBhPis

Also it was my birthday recently, so my wife went full Foo for me. She got me a signed copy of Dave Grohl’s Storyteller book, and this:

I was not even aware that it was anything more than a prop for the album cover, but it’s a Buck Rogers gum, turns out.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

gently caress

Yes

Foo Fighters recorded a thrash metal album

quote:

Now, to coincide with Studio 666’s February 25th release, Grohl intends to release Dream Widow’s “lost album.”

“I mean, I work fast, but gently caress, this deadline is going to kill me. Yes, I’ll get it out for the movie. By February 25th, there will be a Dream Widow record,” Grohl told Rolling Stone. He said he’s drawing inspiration from his days “loving Eighties thrash-metal kid,” and cited Trouble, Corrosion of Conformity, and Kyuss as bands whose sounds he is emulating. Another track on the album, “Lacrimus dei Ebrius,” is a 13-minute metal epic composed of four or five different suites.

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1494321263094943745?s=20&t=6Q4UHHb6del0kkCHlOH3mg

Out next week

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 17, 2022

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I was just coming here to post that. I've been waiting for Probot 2, so this is hopefully close to that.

Also, I saw on Record Store Day they're offering a 2 song 7" record.
https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/14582

quote:

A special 7” single for Record Store Day, featuring two Foo Fighters tracks “Re-Versioned” by some of their musical friends.

Making A Fire Re-Version includes contributions from members of the Dap-Kings, the Budos Band, Antibalas, the Tedeschi Trucks Band, and more.

Chasing Birds Re-Version includes contributions from Ben Jaffe, Charlie Gabriel, Clint Maedgen, Walter Harris, Branden Lewis, Ronnell Johnson and more.

"Making A Fire (Mark Ronson Re-Version)" b/w "Chasing Birds (Preservation Hall Jazz Band Re-Version)"
Release Date: 4/23/2022

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

gently caress

Yes

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1494321263094943745?s=20&t=6Q4UHHb6del0kkCHlOH3mg

Out next week

Really? That is awesome. Hope it is good. Medicine at Midnight is a good album....but subpar by my expectations for the Foo Fighters. Then again....since they set the bar so high twenty years ago....I'm usually letdown. Wasting Light was their last really good album, imo.

Anyways....I've got my tickets to see them this August at US Bank Stadium. And I am looking forward to the new tracks and the movie.

P.S.....the Buck Rodgers/FF gun is pretty awesome. And 'The Storyteller' was really good. The overuse of similes was a little much....but it was a really fun read. Someday we'll get a much deeper and more raw biography/documentary....but this was some fun insight for now.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

gently caress

Yes

Out next week

as if there wasn't enough completely forgettable bad thrash around lol

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

So this is kinda fascinating to me. I've only heard the single, but it kinda reminds me of some hybrid of Exodus, early Kreator and... something else... (I guess that something else is Foo Fighters?)

I'm sorta impressed. I'm not surprised Grohl knows his way around thrash, he was a working musician prior to Nirvana and thrash was a BIG THING about that point. But I like it. Its unrepentantly Dad Rock Thrash.

Its all very silly dad rock, and as an unrepentant 90s kid Gen Xer, I'm 100% ok with that.

edit: The bass is kinda 4 on the floor motorhead.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 22, 2022

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/metalsucks/status/1496885607120912389

Also I’m probably going to miss the movie in theaters because of the combination of a blizzard tonight through tomorrow, having a one year old with no baby sitters, and general Covid avoidance.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/metalsucks/status/1505884049490993153

It’s Friday digitally, later for a physical release.

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE
https://twitter.com/foofighters/status/1507552958988255234?s=21

Absolutely shocked.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Grohl's rep as the "nicest dude in rock" is deserved and earned, and I always thought that extended to the people he kept around, especially for a long time. Hawkins always seemed like a great dude outside of his great drumming. RIP.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Holy poo poo. :smith:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

What a loving way to start the saturday :(

I just recently listened to Dave's autobiography, Storyteller, and the way he talks about Taylor was really touching. They sounded closer than brothers.

loving hell.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My wife was up at 4 in the morning and saw it, woke me up to tell me the news. Just devastating.

https://youtu.be/a5tG8USj0YE
This album of his rules, Coattail Riders was good, and he had another project coming out soon.

IUG fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 26, 2022

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
drat, this is extremely unexpected. They all seemed on track to just be doing this forever.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I just want to echo the nice-guy talk about Taylor. I mean, I don't even like Foo Fighters' music really but Taylor seemed like a genuinely awesome guy, and obviously he was a solid drummer. RIP

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

gently caress. Devastating news for the band. God dammit.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Is this the place where we can lament? Because I haven't been this beat up since Layne Staley.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yeah, this one is actually kind of loving me up, for some reason. Celebrity deaths usually do nothing to me, but this one feels different.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Crushing news. He seemed perpetually 28 and all you hear about him is nice stories.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Taylor Hawkins was a true drum artist, I have always loved his style so powerful, bloody, wild: it reminded me of the great John Bonham.
I was lucky enough to see the Foo Fighters years ago, it was a great show of pure rock energy, and in June of this year I should have seen them again, drat .......
See you on the other side, Taylor!!!

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
I was lucky enough to see them at Innings Festival last month and Taylor's cover of "Somebody to Love" was easily the highlight of the night. The energy he maintained for the 2 hour set was amazing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Knightsoul posted:

Taylor Hawkins was a true drum artist, I have always loved his style so powerful, bloody, wild: it reminded me of the great John Bonham.

Yeah it's weird. If you asked me to pick my top 5 favourite drummers, I'm not sure I'd think to pick Taylor Hawkins. But if you asked me to pick my top 5 bands with the best drum tracks, Foo Fighters would 100% be up there. He played with such energy and looked to be having a blast all the time.

Of course it's too early to say, but I have a bad feeling this might be the end of the band. Considering how close Taylor and Dave were, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't feel right continuing.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
This summer is/was/who knows/who gives a gently caress going to be the first time I caught them live, having been a casual fan for...ever, like I assume everyone else on the planet who isn't a megafan is. I really don't care if they play the shows or not, but god willing if they do I'll be there ready to rage.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Of course it's too early to say, but I have a bad feeling this might be the end of the band. Considering how close Taylor and Dave were, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't feel right continuing.

It's certainly a hell of a seat to fill.

Taylor was my absolute idol as a drummer growing up, and the reason I started growing my hair out aged 13. A lot of great musicians have passed on in recent years but this is the first that really hurts.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Yeah, this is worse than them just losing their drummer, Dave just lost his best friend oh and also his drummer. Taylor literally cannot be replaced in his capacity as Dave's best running buddy since the older you get the harder it is to make old friends. That said, if Dave's feeling is that Taylor wouldn't want them to break up then Dave has his pick of drummers from a list that includes literally every drummer on the planet. Feels weird talking about what comes next, I hope that's not in bad taste.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Grohl's gonna drum and sing and there'll be a new guitarist maybe

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Dave playing the drums on their albums and someone else coming with them on tour sounds like the most realistic scenario, but who the hell knows. I'm sure the guys have no idea about anything yet. Who knows if they talked about these kinds of scenarios as a band and know what Taylor would have wanted. I think ZZ Top had some kind of arrangement in place ahead of time for Dusty Hill's death, but then that was from an illness IIRC.

Honestly it feels hosed up to even be thinking about this right now, but at the same time it's something that selfishly keeps popping in my head. The Foo Fighters have been probably my favourite band since they got me through some real tough times 15+ years ago, and even though things obviously won't be the same again, I (again selfishly) hope they find some way to keep going.

E: and honestly, even before then. I was way into Nirvana as an angsty grunge teen, and bought the Foo Fighters' first album the day it came out, and haven't looked back since.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 26, 2022

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Dave playing the drums on their albums and someone else coming with them on tour sounds like the most realistic scenario, but who the hell knows. I'm sure the guys have no idea about anything yet. Who knows if they talked about these kinds of scenarios as a band and know what Taylor would have wanted. I think ZZ Top had some kind of arrangement in place ahead of time for Dusty Hill's death, but then that was from an illness IIRC.

Honestly it feels hosed up to even be thinking about this right now, but at the same time it's something that selfishly keeps popping in my head. The Foo Fighters have been probably my favourite band since they got me through some real tough times 15+ years ago, and even though things obviously won't be the same again, I (again selfishly) hope they find some way to keep going.

E: and honestly, even before then. I was way into Nirvana as an angsty grunge teen, and bought the Foo Fighters' first album the day it came out, and haven't looked back since.

FF got me through some dark times in a similar time frame. That's sort of why I asked my last question. I don't want to weirdly turn a random thread into an IN MEMORIUM, but I dont have a lot of other places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I just really hope it wasn't a relapse. He seemed healthy and happy though. Maybe heart damage from his earlier years.