Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Keto or not I ate one of those Kirkland jars of chocolate caramel macadamia clusters in about 3 days, those were drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

infraboy posted:

Keto or not I ate one of those Kirkland jars of chocolate caramel macadamia clusters in about 3 days, those were drat good.

I love those but I'm too cheap to buy them because I would probably eat the whole drat thing in one sitting and they are $$

I find a lot of the snacky things near the checkouts to be.. not great. Things like the "snappers" dark choc/caramel/pretzels, and the golden clusters which is praline/caramel/white chocolate.. I find they're good for the first 25% of the bag (not at one sitting either) then I just get tired of them real fast and never touch them again.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

pnumoman posted:

Dude, nobody but you cares.

Manuel Calavera posted:

I care, I like Ok Comboomer's posts. The keto fad is dumb.

Yes.

All diets are dumb. They're all just a way to restrict calories but you have to eat a stupid diet like that the rest of your life to keep the weight off. Which of course almost no one does or even realize they have to do. They think they'll take off weight using keto and then they can magically eat like normal again. Which is obviously not true.

You can't trick thermodynamics.

edit: whoops, more Costco talk.

I like Costco. Praise be.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 26, 2021

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The Costco dog is low carb if you skip the bun. Eat two of them if you want, I don't know your needs.

Get a water to go with it. The cashier at my Costco brought me a bottle of water the other day when I said I just get water. She's lovely.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

fizzymercy posted:

The Costco dog is low carb if you skip the bun. Eat two of them if you want, I don't know your needs.

I throw away the top half of the bun and put the mustard directly on the sausage so that I'm forced to give my full attention to the dog or else it'll be a giant mess. I assume thats what all this "mindfulness" stuff is about

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

How often are you guys attempting Costco runs during COVID times? I've been managing on an every-other month schedule or so, but at least in Southeast PA the crowds are still pretty harrowing. I've had the best luck going on Monday evenings.

That said, I went to church yesterday and hopefully bought enough of my Costco staples to last until March. I impulse-bought a package of BBQ-filled Chinese meat buns that I'd recommend to anyone who sees 'em in their store.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

AuroMarshmallow posted:

How often are you guys attempting Costco runs during COVID times? I've been managing on an every-other month schedule or so, but at least in Southeast PA the crowds are still pretty harrowing. I've had the best luck going on Monday evenings.

That said, I went to church yesterday and hopefully bought enough of my Costco staples to last until March. I impulse-bought a package of BBQ-filled Chinese meat buns that I'd recommend to anyone who sees 'em in their store.

Once a month because I have to get a prescription filled anyway. I don't grocery shop anywhere else.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Usually about once a month. I alternate in store pickup at the supermarket and costco every 2 weeks, generally speaking.

Honestly the in store pickup thing has more to do with time constraints and general convenience than covid.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Costco in my town is luckily not one of the insane jam packed ones, mostly avoid going on a weekend and it's smooth sailing, I usually go every week or two but I don't really buy a whole lot every time.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
drat I go every other week. Household full of thirsty milk drinkers tho

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Every 1-2 weeks mainly because it’s right by my office.

My dog loves the Kirkland dog biscuits that come in the big blue box. The box contains approximately 80000 treats.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Has anyone gotten the black garlic that they sell in a giant container? I always leer at it like a creeper looking at a lady on a subway train. But good lord that's... a lot of black garlic.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
2-3 weeks for a real run, I pop in when it's quiet in between, like on a weeknight if i really need something.

I haven't been to the little grocery store in nearly two months.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Fartington Butts posted:

Has anyone gotten the black garlic that they sell in a giant container? I always leer at it like a creeper looking at a lady on a subway train. But good lord that's... a lot of black garlic.

My roommate bought a 20oz jar of Polar black garlic (I think? that's what costco has) on amazon and it was a pretty great idea. I would eat black garlic off a curbside sofa so I use it almost daily. If you eat it like that you should get it.

If not? Wow that a lot of black garlic.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Fartington Butts posted:

Yes please, mine doesn’t have it but they should since I’m nearly out.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I'm tempted by the Cuisinart convection toaster oven they have for $200 at mine, is it worth the counter space? The Item in Question

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

MrQueasy posted:

I'm tempted by the Cuisinart convection toaster oven they have for $200 at mine, is it worth the counter space? The Item in Question

I have no opinions on that specific model, but in my experience, toaster ovens will inevitably get gross and beat up very quickly and there's not much you can do about it. It's the one appliance I'd rather buy for $50 and replace every 2-3 years.

But hey, maybe that's my experience because I keep buying cheap toaster ovens. But it takes one drip of cheese from reheating some cold pizza to make an uncleanable mess and potentially a lot of smoke, so better to just not care about it in my opinion.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 27, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can buy a new drip pan

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Renegret posted:

I have no opinions on that specific model, but in my experience, toaster ovens will inevitably get gross and beat up very quickly and there's not much you can do about it. It's the one appliance I'd rather buy for $50 and replace every 2-3 years.

But hey, maybe that's my experience because I keep buying cheap toaster ovens. But it takes one drip of cheese from reheating some cold pizza to forever scorch the drip pan.

:same:

Mine was like $100 and it’s definitely all beat up and needs to be tossed.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you can buy a new drip pan

I totally edited that out because I always end up removing the drip pan anyway because the bottom of the food doesn't cook right without direct access to the heat.

Which just means that cheese just drops directly onto the heating element instead. But at least your pizza is delicious while your smoke alarms go off.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also the toaster oven doesn’t make toast worth a poo poo IMO

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Renegret posted:

But hey, maybe that's my experience because I keep buying cheap toaster ovens. But it takes one drip of cheese from reheating some cold pizza to make an uncleanable mess and potentially a lot of smoke, so better to just not care about it in my opinion.

I now use a cheap air fryer and toaster instead of a toaster oven, slightly more counter space and just a little less flexibility for much better quality and easier cleaning.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
convection oven will replace air fryer easily. an air fryer is a convection oven with a better margin

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I only go to the 'co maybe every 2 months. It's difficult to shop there as a single person but my freezer is always packed with their stuff. I basically don't get anything fresh there. Just frozen and pantry items.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

MarcusSA posted:

Also the toaster oven doesn’t make toast worth a poo poo IMO

It works great if you don't plan on eating anything between raw bread and charcoal.

Pro tip, if you want both, put the drip pan back in. Then one side can be on fire, and the other will be slightly warm.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Renegret posted:

It works great if you don't plan on eating anything between raw bread and charcoal.

Pro tip, if you want both, put the drip pan back in. Then one side can be on fire, and the other will be slightly warm.

are we talking about a toaster oven or a convection toaster oven, I was lead to believe they were different.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

MrQueasy posted:

are we talking about a toaster oven or a convection toaster oven, I was lead to believe they were different.

They're totally different, I just glazed over the 'convection' part of your post so you should probably ignore me. Generally speaking ignoring me is a good idea anyway.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

convection oven will replace air fryer easily. an air fryer is a convection oven with a better margin

Not everyone has a real convection oven, and most convection toaster ovens don't get close to the performance of an air fryer.

It's just a heating element and a big ol' fan, but most convection toaster ovens don't have as big of a fan so they have less airflow, and the radiant heat from the exposed heating elements isn't desirable for a pure convection cook. Air fryers a wonderful at what they do, while most convection toaster ovens are a bundle of compromises. I'd rather toast in a dedicated toaster and heat up fried morsels in an air fryer. And cook a spatchcocked turkey at blistering speed with my big gently caress-off real convection oven.

gently caress toaster ovens, convection or not.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
haha, thanks goons! your antipathy has closed my wallet for now. I'm just gonna hold off and spend my money on wine, pickles and wasabi almonds.

Maybe I'll just buy a cheap air fryer and see if I like it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

pnumoman posted:

Not everyone has a real convection oven, and most convection toaster ovens don't get close to the performance of an air fryer.

It's just a heating element and a big ol' fan, but most convection toaster ovens don't have as big of a fan so they have less airflow, and the radiant heat from the exposed heating elements isn't desirable for a pure convection cook. Air fryers a wonderful at what they do, while most convection toaster ovens are a bundle of compromises. I'd rather toast in a dedicated toaster and heat up fried morsels in an air fryer. And cook a spatchcocked turkey at blistering speed with my big gently caress-off real convection oven.

non-costco related question

I have a convection setting on my oven but it caps out at 350 degrees. Is that, uh, normal? Or did the manufacturer halfass it to just check some options off a list so they can increase the price.

I never use it. I'm honestly not sure what to use the convection setting for, and since this is the first oven I've owned with one I've been fine just ignoring it.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Renegret posted:

I have a convection setting on my oven but it caps out at 350 degrees. Is that, uh, normal? Or did the manufacturer halfass it to just check some options off a list so they can increase the price.

I never use it. I'm honestly not sure what to use the convection setting for, and since this is the first oven I've owned with one I've been fine just ignoring it.

If it caps out at 350, that's kinda odd. My oven's convection temps go just as high as the non-convection temps.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I got some crazy deal on a really nice Breville convection toaster oven that was normally like $300 and it rules and I will happily use it until it eventually dies.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Renegret posted:

pnumoman posted:

If it caps out at 350, that's kinda odd. My oven's convection temps go just as high as the non-convection temps.

Same, I can set my oven to whatever temp, and choose convection or not. If the convection is on the big-rear end fan in the back turns on.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

canyoneer posted:

I got some crazy deal on a really nice Breville convection toaster oven that was normally like $300 and it rules and I will happily use it until it eventually dies.

I’ve been a Breville fan since I was gifted an electric kettle like 12 years ago (still works great!) and their stuff goes on sale often enough it’s always a good plan. Got my convection oven and espresso machine from em on great sales and they rock.

I like the buttons a lot.

Does costco carry them? I could swear I have seen them in store. But the big chain drugstore here (London Drugs) usually has the best deals on their stuff.

sandball
Jan 6, 2006
My dad has an LG oven that does convection that caps out like that (when the fan is on). I don't think it's as low as 350 but I'm gonna look it up to make sure.

edit: yeah the manuals for it don't say it has a max temp for convection but it will auto downconvert from a selected temperature to what it thinks a convection cycle should cook at. It was kind of really annoying to deal with last time I was up there.

sandball fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 27, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

pnumoman posted:

Yeah my air fryer is nothing like my convection toaster over. The fan in the toaster oven is just to circulate the air to keep it consistent to cook the food evenly. The air fryer is more like a turbine blasting air around the food. I do like it though. It fits a frozen pizza perfectly.

Also yeah, I have a regular toaster right next to my toaster oven because I'm not about to preheat that thing and then bake for 10 minutes for toast.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 27, 2021

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I only really go to Costco for fruit and fish. It wouldn't be worth it if I were the only person with the card. However, I can eat many grapes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Costco only really made sense for me “independently” when I lived with a partner and we had rabbits, but boy did it make a hell of a lot of sense then.

Actually, apropos of DietChat, Costco (or a similarly cheap means of getting tons of veg) is pretty much a requirement if you want to eat DASH, which I should honestly get back into....

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Not-Costco but germane to the topic at hand.

Our 2-slot toaster is easily 20 years old. It's beat up and has now an exposed metal lever instead of a nice piece of plastic. It has the lever, a done-o-meter knob and a cancel button. I love it.

My wife has asked for a new toaster for maybe 5 years now. Toasters these days are all 4+ slots with tons of buttons and wifi and personalized advertising and all them gewgaws. This Christmas, I finally found a little chrome Oster 2-slot with a lever, a done-o-meter knob, and 3 buttons: bagel, defrost, cancel. Close enough, right?

Bagels don't fit depth-wise, so the top of the bagel doesn't get any heat. It feels like you're breaking it every time you push down on the lever (my kid thought she was toasting, but she hadn't pushed down hard enough and she was almost late to online school and probably won't get into Harvard now). The 4 setting warms a bagel. 4+bagel button chars both sides of the bagel, except the top. 4+defrost does the same thing, only slightly lighter. My kid is convinced they put the stickers on the wrong buttons

I dug the old toaster out of the Goodwill pile. Maybe I can rip the lever cover off the new one and SuGru it on or something.

Last year, we were at Macy's and I saw this: https://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Gourmet-Slice-Toaster-WGTR102S/dp/B0197BB08I. It's like the perfect toaster (maybe too many buttons), but by all means please laugh with me at the price. Can you loving believe the balls on the guy who's gonna charge 3 bills for a toaster?!??

The Wirecutter recommends a $30 Cuisinart: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-toaster/. I think I paid $29 for the Oster. Correction: I may have paid $29 for an Oster-branded lever cover that may wind up on a 20 year old toaster.

On topic: Gonna hit the 'Co and search for that orange chicken. Thanks for the tip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

fischtick posted:

Not-Costco but germane to the topic at hand.

Our 2-slot toaster is easily 20 years old. It's beat up and has now an exposed metal lever instead of a nice piece of plastic. It has the lever, a done-o-meter knob and a cancel button. I love it.

My wife has asked for a new toaster for maybe 5 years now. Toasters these days are all 4+ slots with tons of buttons and wifi and personalized advertising and all them gewgaws. This Christmas, I finally found a little chrome Oster 2-slot with a lever, a done-o-meter knob, and 3 buttons: bagel, defrost, cancel. Close enough, right?

Bagels don't fit depth-wise, so the top of the bagel doesn't get any heat. It feels like you're breaking it every time you push down on the lever (my kid thought she was toasting, but she hadn't pushed down hard enough and she was almost late to online school and probably won't get into Harvard now). The 4 setting warms a bagel. 4+bagel button chars both sides of the bagel, except the top. 4+defrost does the same thing, only slightly lighter. My kid is convinced they put the stickers on the wrong buttons

I dug the old toaster out of the Goodwill pile. Maybe I can rip the lever cover off the new one and SuGru it on or something.

Last year, we were at Macy's and I saw this: https://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Gourmet-Slice-Toaster-WGTR102S/dp/B0197BB08I. It's like the perfect toaster (maybe too many buttons), but by all means please laugh with me at the price. Can you loving believe the balls on the guy who's gonna charge 3 bills for a toaster?!??

The Wirecutter recommends a $30 Cuisinart: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-toaster/. I think I paid $29 for the Oster. Correction: I may have paid $29 for an Oster-branded lever cover that may wind up on a 20 year old toaster.

On topic: Gonna hit the 'Co and search for that orange chicken. Thanks for the tip!

It’ll never be as good as this one:

https://youtu.be/1OfxlSG6q5Y
https://youtu.be/bLk1cjZ4ll0
https://youtu.be/2vcdbtAca0Y