Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:boom:

Have you played Foxhole? Have you played Battlefield? Have you ever wanted a crossover episode?

Look no further; 2021's finest hiking simulator has arrived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1NUjA2d-qw

Hell Let Loose - !!NEW!! GUIDE to EVERYTHING (Update 10) [2021]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaY27yiOPPA

Is HLL Still worth it? July 2021: Update 10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK1lomGigec

Infantry gameplay: Hurtgen Forest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwdo9NHL9CM

Infantry gameplay: Machine Gunner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzNvgPGQHRs

Infantry gameplay: Anti-Tank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAIRIQGEbNc

Tank gameplay: Sainte-Mere-Eglise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VVORUbETsI

Tank gameplay: Foy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3UlgRgyxgA

Realistic(ish) time to kill. You'll constantly be getting domed by things you can't see!

Infantry Controls
X = Command chat (red/brown colour), squad leaders and the commander can talk to eachother to coordinate the battle.
C = Squad chat, talk to your squad mates (green colour)
V = Local Chat (blue) talk to those in proximity, warn a tank there is a mine infront of him or yell for a medic over voice comms.

MMB = Ping. Very useful to warn squadmates of targets, where to go, things of interest. Brings up a small red ping marker on your squads screen and map for 5 seconds.

Z = Prone (Crtl = Crouch/stand)
G = Grenade, pull out a grenade, you can cook them before throwing to reduce the fuse timer. Right click to drop a grenade in an underarm throw over a wall or out a window.
B = Melee, stab or bash the enemy to death with a shovel, knive and in the future, bayonet.
F = Use, deploy your machine gun bipod, enter a vehicle, pick up ammo from a crate, dismantle an enemy garrison or supply crate, also pull out your bandage when wounded.
T = Tactical overlay, rings up the HUD including ammo count, weapon selected, commander/officer map markers, map sector information/location name

Built-in radio comms networks and positional voice chat. All the loving horrible mil-sim fuckwits you could ever want. Never play on the German side: It's just someone playing Horst-Wessel-Lied on repeat.

LOGISTICS. :toot:

Tide-Turning Artillery

Seriously, when the arty gets used properly, it will have an effect on the course of the round. Well-used artillery is key to effective offense and defense.

Artillery calculator:
https://www.hell-let-loose-calculator.com/#/

Multi-crew armor. Die to AT mines with your friends!

Vehicle Controls:
E = Start the engine or turn it off
Shift = Change Gear Up
Ctrl = Shift gear Down
Space = Handbrake for trucks (do tight cornering)
F1,F2,F3etc = Change seats, F1 is Driver, F2 is Gunner, F3 is Commander/Spotter seat in most tank and vehicles.
1, 2, 3 = Ammo type selection, for most, 1 is Armour Piercing ammo, 2 is High Explosive Ammo and 3 is smoke where applicable.
RMB = Coaxial machine gun, either as the gunner or in some tanks, the driver has a Coax MG they can shoot infront of them.

Overall side command and individual squad commanders. Aforementioned mil-sim fuckwits will be screaming at you over aforementioned voice comms!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBZpLNGeYl0

This thing could be a lot of fun with goons. It's not very much fun without goons.

:siren: RT4 GOT US A GOONSERVER :siren:

rt4 posted:

This game has no squad support atm and I really want to play with goons, so I got a server.

:siren: It's called "HLLJK" at IP 172.107.179.39 :siren:

If you're also in the mood for wasting money like me, you can donate to the server funds here: https://www.g-portal.com/int/donate/e470c8bdd973e5390b900b0af11904ec/gportal_27912066
I don't think it's possible for me to use this money on anything but the server

:goon:

Current Roadmap:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/686810/announcements/detail/2998819078306679126

Here is the past roadmap showing what has been added to the game since it launched on Steam as early access and where it will go in the next 12-16 months now that the game has reached version 1.0

Theres a Wiki
https://hellletloose.fandom.com/wiki/Hell_Let_Loose

And a new player guide
https://www.reddit.com/r/HellLetLoose/comments/ou3g0t/hll_new_player_guide/

Infantry Roles

Commander
Leader of your faction. Responsible for coordinating actions of all squads, maintaining a view of the overall battlefield, and for using commander abilities to do things like drop air support supplies, strafing or bombing runs, using the resources you get from resource nodes to spawn tanks and vehicles for your team.

Officer
Lead a squad, talk to other squadleaders and commander in Command Chat (X), place down Outposts (squad spawn) and Garrisons (team spawn, requires supplies) with your pocketwatch. Hasbinoculars, frag and smoke grenades, pistol and an SMG or Rifle

Rifleman
Basic soldier, carries a rifle (M1 Garand, Kar98, Nagant), grenades and a deployable box of ammo to resupply your teammates.

Assault
Close-quarters infantry, carries an SMG (Thompson, MP40 or PPSH) or later on, an automatic rifle (BAR, G.43, STG44) and grenades and smoke grenades depending on the loadout. Storm trenches, buildings or strongpoints.

Automatic Rifleman
What it says on the tin at low level. Carries either a BAR/STG44 or later, a Thompson/MP40/PPSH depending on loadout with some grenades and bandages.

Medic
Can revive downed teammates who are bleeding out. Uses morphine to revive, and can bandage allies much faster than they can bandage themselves. Can also refill allies’ bandages. Has an M1 Carbine or Kar98 in standard loadout with smoke grenades. Can unlock a pistol-only loadout with extra smoke grenades.

Support
Carries an infantry rifle, and drops supplies on the battlefield for squad leaders to build garrisons (team spawn points) or engineers to build resource nodes or defensive structures. Can also place ammo crates for teammates.

Machine Gunner
Primary suppression-dealer on the battlefield. Carries a machinegun (M1919, MG34, MG42, DP-27) and a pistol (M1911, Luger.) Don’t discount suppression. It’s an extremely important mechanic in this game.

Anti-Tank
Rocket launcher (Bazooka with 4 rockets, Panzerschreck with 2 rockets, or AT Rifle for Soviets.) Use your wrench to construct an anti-tank gun emplacement with supplies (PAK40, 57mm M1) or place AT mines with an alternate loadout.

Engineer
The most complex role, use supplies to build fortifications (barricades, wire fence, hedgegog/belgian gates and upgrade them or place down repair stations for friendly tanks, resource nodes for the commander (Fuel, Manpower, Munitions) carries a Carbine or Kar98, AT and AP mines or an explosive satchel charge. And a repair wrench/blowtorch to repair tanks.

Tank Commander
Leader of a tank squad, but can occupy any position on a tank. Situational awareness is key, so you should probably sit in the commander slot whenever possible. Can talk to other squadleaders to mark enemy targets, carries an SMG and Binoculars.

Crewman
Driver and gunner of a tank squad. Allows you to enter friendly vehicles, carries a pistol and smoke grenades, can unlock a repair blowtorch as another loadout.

Spotter
Recon squadleader. Can place down an outpost behind enemy lines (only person who can) for snipers to spawn at. Hunt behind enemy lines and scout for your team. Has an SMG (Thompson, MP40, PPSH), smoke grenades and an anti-personnel mine for local security.

Sniper
The only infantry slot in the game with a magnified optic. Only two recon squads can exist in any team. Carries an M1903 Springfield or a Kar98k with an 8x scope.

As mentioned above, suppression is an important mechanic, and can be decreased by proximity to medics and squad leaders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccL9andkr-k

Glamour Shots

The maps are even based on real life, using terrain data and era period aerial photos to recreate battlefields. See Saint Marie Du Mont below:

:haibrow:

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
This game is far more complicated that it initially seems, but the beauty of it is that if you just wanna run around and shootmans, you can totally do it. I like how many roles you can take in this game, and the tanking is tons of fun, since it straddles a line between sim and arcade, and some of the more difficult elements ensure that the roles are usually filled by someone who knows what their doing (Most of the time).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Duck_King posted:

This game is far more complicated that it initially seems, but the beauty of it is that if you just wanna run around and shootmans, you can totally do it. I like how many roles you can take in this game, and the tanking is tons of fun, since it straddles a line between sim and arcade, and some of the more difficult elements ensure that the roles are usually filled by someone who knows what their doing (Most of the time).

My first experience with armor was spawning into an open crew slot, seeing the tank with my two squadmates driving away with both of them talking on squad chat about how fast the Sherman was compared to the Tiger, and then just as they were about to disappear over the hill they hit a mine and died horribly. The comedic timing was amazing.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think fun can be had by random people. I don't know anyone who plays this game and I just play with random people using a mic. I would say if you don't want to use a mic it probably will not be that great of an experience. If I can't find a good squad I just make one or I run around with a satchel trying to blow up tanks depending on the map.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiejYMy-_FE

Recorded this the other night. One of the better pub tank crews I've been in. Both teams were playing very well, with lots of coordination. We were parked on the western side of the objective, and generally just making the attacking US team's lives difficult enough that they started dropping smoke shells on us (I've never seen a team do this before aside from myself), and then HE shells, and then a bombing run.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I always forget to record after something cool happens, but here is me tackling a tank. I think the most fun though is attaching Satchel charges, but the explosions are pretty with both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my-SLcITC80

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Keep looking at this title but not sold, can someone explain the less shooty mechanics? I'm the odd man out who loves doing things like backline support in most games, jow does that translate here gameplay wise? Will someone be building trenches or sandbag fortifications or running ammo and supplies to some FOB?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I can try and explain the supply system. At the top there is a commander that has 3 resources he uses to call in various things like bombing runs, supplies, tanks, etc. The engineer class can build nodes of these resources and it gives your team more resource points. The engineer can also build all sorts of bunkers and walls and road blocks. To build these you need supplies. The ways to get supplies are the commander can drop them if they have enough manpower resource, the support person can drop some every five minutes, or you can use a support truck and run supplies all day and build all you want. Some people do and it does help hold points, especially in the one game mode where they have to be on the point, if you make a bunch of concrete bunkers and fill them with MGs, it can really be hard to take the point, and someone has to build all that.

The building system for bunkers and walls has 3 levels, wood, then you can upgrade to sand bags and then concrete. Each one has different bullet penetration properties, wood being easy to shoot through and concrete impossible with sandbags only penetrated by tanks and rockets I think.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 27, 2021

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna give this a try

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Amazing Member posted:

Keep looking at this title but not sold, can someone explain the less shooty mechanics? I'm the odd man out who loves doing things like backline support in most games, jow does that translate here gameplay wise? Will someone be building trenches or sandbag fortifications or running ammo and supplies to some FOB?

What Rusty said, and believe it or not, it's a huge role that not enough people take advantage of, so playing resource gathering is always appreciated. You can place resource nodes that gain manpower, ammo, and fuel, and when making fortifications, it helps to have a supply driver drive back and forth to keep the supplies for building going.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I keep wanting to compare this game to red orchestra but it's like someone took a lot of valid criticisms of where RO chooses simulator features over approachable gameplay, and remedied some of them to the best of their ability. It's definitely not as arcadey as battlefield but it's not as impenetrable as red orchestra, but on the other other hand, you definitely want to use all the concealment and cover you can while advancing, you definitely need to work as a team/unit to succeed, and you definitely will end up waiting 40 seconds to spawn if you don't slow down and stay low. I keep thinking I'm going to bounce off it but I just keep playing and I'll be hosed if I'll ever figure out why. Maybe it's the lack of planes, maybe it's how effective they make coordinated fire and maneuver stuff.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
After some videos and the responses here, I found it on sale on indigala for $20 and decided to try it out.

Its ok, teamwork seems to be very important but I havent found any squad lead using comms. I kinda like whats already here but I feel like there's a lot more they can add to it since there only seems to be 1 armor for both sides. I'm only 90 mins in so thats my hot take. Will probably try it again sometime today when its normal us east coast hours and see if its better then.

Is there a discord or something for goons?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FAUXTON posted:

...maybe it's how effective they make coordinated fire and maneuver stuff.

Artillery or a strafing run of a fortified position followed by a coordinated assault is something I’ve only seen brought off once, but holy poo poo was it cool as gently caress.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MrYenko posted:

Artillery or a strafing run of a fortified position followed by a coordinated assault is something I’ve only seen brought off once, but holy poo poo was it cool as gently caress.

Yeah I don't know how they managed to make the game in such a way that team coordination and properly supported assaults are not only OP, not even only one way among many to win, but the only effective way to play the game. There's not really a way for a single poopsock-tier chucklefuck to dominate an entire map solo, not even a good way for a single squad to do it, everything supports someone and needs support from someone else and it's all delegated out broadly enough that you've got to have, like several squads acting together and by that point it's just "teamwork OP" all over again.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Amazing Member posted:

Is there a discord or something for goons?

The Chugging The Stairs Mumble goons play it pretty regularly.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796734

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duck_King posted:

The Chugging The Stairs Mumble goons play it pretty regularly.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796734

wow mumble works on modern PCs?

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Pumped about 3 hours into this so far, its... interesting. Feels a little janky on the infantry side, getting stuck on random piles of bushes or awkwardly standing on top of a fence feels not good.

Got into some armor and liked the experience but again, the movement is.. wonky. God forbid your fender bumps into a hill without your big bad tiger tank flopping around like a desperate fish on dry land.

The best thing so far has been communication between squaddie and squad leade and squad leads to the commander though im having random voice service drops where it just stops working period and I don't know if anyone can hear me or why I can't hear anyone.

I'm stuck with it now, but it's not terrible. I'll keep playing some

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Amazing Member posted:

Pumped about 3 hours into this so far, its... interesting. Feels a little janky on the infantry side, getting stuck on random piles of bushes or awkwardly standing on top of a fence feels not good.

I'm stuck with it now, but it's not terrible. I'll keep playing some

Crawling through brush under machine gun fire, and you crawl over a rock that has such a huge hit box that you’re momentarily silhouetted above the grass and you get turbo boned...

It has potential, certainly.

Skoots
Sep 6, 2006
Got this game getting the hang of it. Tried to play with Duck king he acted like he didnt know me, proly for the best im not that good yet.
How dose arty work. It seems like its either really accurate when im on the receiving end or just dosent do anything.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Skoots posted:

Got this game getting the hang of it. Tried to play with Duck king he acted like he didnt know me, proly for the best im not that good yet.
How dose arty work. It seems like its either really accurate when im on the receiving end or just dosent do anything.

Make a new squad as the SL so you can mark on the map to get distance. Then either use the arty calculator or do the math in your head (iirc, each mil is 4m). If you hit things you'll hear a tiny clink sound. I usually don't use loader because you really don't need to fire that fast.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Skoots posted:

You knob, I literally had no idea who you were. It was only after I looked at your profile did I realize it. You had a different name.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
Armor in this game feels really good, riding in a Panther with a tank commander and driver is oddly satisfying.

@Akhavir (with NATCA logo) on Steam

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Got this yesterday and it’s pretty fun! My ears are still ringing

Griz
May 21, 2001

I bought this last week and most of my gameplay was "run forward and get shot" because no one used smoke but tonight some actually built resource nodes so my team had munitions and i got on the artillery and everyone was all "yay artillery on voice" and we won that round.

if you know where the bad guys are, you can make your own map pings with middle mouse and aim the arty on that.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Anybody playing this? I've been eyeballing it for a while and it's on sale.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It’s really rough to solo, but I’m pretty much always down for games with goons.

SteamID is same as here.

Aunt Teefa
Mar 17, 2015

I’ve played this game for about a year and a half, and the devs have made a ton of improvements. The best way I can describe this game is that when it isn’t fun, it really loving sucks (you’re on a lovely do nothing team where you’re playing solo, or you join during a team’s fail cascade, or you just have one of those days where you run for 5 min and get domed from who knows where)…but when it is good, holy gently caress it is one of the best video game experiences I’ve ever had. The crazy moments in this game all come together so well and so cinematically, the wins really feel like they’re earned. This is a hidden gem that I can’t believe doesn’t have more of a goon presence. A single well-coordinated squad can win games single-handedly, and nothing trolls try-hard mil-sim chuds more than steamrolling them while yelling ANTIFA WINS AGAIN

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I almost always play with randoms and have a great time. I have added people I play with over the months but I would still say I play 95% of the time with random people and as long as there is some communication, it's a really great game. If the SL doesn't talk or drop deploy points, I just jump squads until I find someone who will. I like this game so much it's pretty much the only game I play right now, or until the next Battlefield game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Picked this back up after letting not touching it for some months, it's pretty fun! I've been rolling with the automatic rifleman a bunch, since it's rarely ever taken and you get some nice short-range capability in addition to being good at range. The BAR kicks like a mule on auto but it's weirdly satisfying to hold down the trigger, completely lose sight of your target, and then realise you still somehow killed them after all.

Enjoy some BAR shooting with a creepy ragdoll:
https://i.imgur.com/IVYh7cL.mp4

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
What does this have going for it that Post Scriptum doesn't?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Pharnakes posted:

A lot more people play it, I can't answer more than that since I don't own it, but the main reason I don't own it is that the population is really low. From what I have seen, the maps look a lot better in HLL.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Pharnakes posted:

+ Graphics look much nicer (maps, characters, environment)
+ active development
+ shorter time to action (less walking) less punishing deaths
+ community balanced between mic using teamwork squads and casual do whatever squads
+ tank driving is dope in HLL, you get a cool hull MG you aim only using tracers and you have to manually shift for speed and turns. its pretty cool
+ more populated servers

- maps in Post Scriptum are much larger
- worse graphics in PS make it easier to see enemies
- PS has cooler/better building options

They are both more similar to each other than they are different really.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 5, 2021

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm downloading now, I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

+ Graphics look much nicer (maps, characters, environment)
+ active development
+ shorter time to action (less walking) less punishing deaths
+ community balanced between mic using teamwork squads and casual do whatever squads
+ tank driving is dope in HLL, you get a cool hull MG you aim only using tracers and you have to manually shift for speed and turns. its pretty cool
+ more populated servers

- maps in Post Scriptum are much larger
- worse graphics in PS make it easier to see enemies
- PS has cooler/better building options

They are both more similar to each other than they are different really.

SO it's more of an RO descendent in spirit then? Is it still one hit to kill with rifle calibre weapons?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Pharnakes posted:

SO it's more of an RO descendent in spirit then? Is it still one hit to kill with rifle calibre weapons?
Yes, one hit kill for rifles at varying distances depending on the rifle. I think the Kar98 is the longest one hit kill and the carbine the shortest.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Pharnakes posted:

Yes, I would say so and I played a LOT of RO back in the day. RO was the type of game where I could have just as much fun playing with my headset turned off, just shooting some dudes, as I could communicating with teammates. Sometimes you want to talk and sometimes you don't. That's the vibe I get from HLL.

Post Scriptum = Squad
Hell Let Loose = Red Orchestra

i guess that won't mean poo poo unless you have played Squad but I hope it helps.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
What's the deal with those big missile looking things that parachute down every once and a while?

They don't seem to blow up and sometimes you see them just laying on the ground.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Vakal posted:

What's the deal with those big missile looking things that parachute down every once and a while?

They don't seem to blow up and sometimes you see them just laying on the ground.

Those are construction supply dropped by commander to help build stuff.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Germans get the bomb-shaped thing, Americans get a box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Thanks that's helpful. I never knew if all that stuff in the sky actually did something or was just in for atmosphere.