Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

No you didn't miss a post but yes, she has passed and the light is a little bit dimmer. She was a lovely person from everything I've read.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mira-furlan-dead-babylon-5-lost-1234890117/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1352465912255770624

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

All five seasons of Babylon 5 are now on HBO Max.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Roth posted:

All five seasons of Babylon 5 are now on HBO Max.

Me in the UK: "cool."

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Me in America finding out that a goon with a Doctor Who theme account lives in the UK: "cool"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

You on discovering the magnificently obvious: "cool".

I hope people choose to commemorate Mira's passing by resuming the blind watch. In your own time, of course.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/engadget/status/1353976759641911297

:stwoon:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I wonder about the remastered branding. From my understanding they did do something to make it look better but I suspect people will see that and expect a full HD treatment like TNG got and be disappointed.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Grand Fromage posted:

I wonder about the remastered branding. From my understanding they did do something to make it look better but I suspect people will see that and expect a full HD treatment like TNG got and be disappointed.

TNG got what?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I am pissed as hell that there's no Blu-Ray release planned. I want to own, not depend on some provider to maintain the streaming rights.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ikanreed posted:

TNG got what?

TNG got blu-rays by CBS re-editing the episodes together from the 35mm film dailies, so now it looks gorgeous. It was expensive to do, and the blu-rays didn't sell nearly as well as they wanted, so they didn't even break even.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

The_Doctor posted:

Me in the UK: "cool."

Apparently the remastered editions are also available on Amazon Prime too - a UK twitter account I follow had purchased them and was commenting how they were significantly better.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I am pissed as hell that there's no Blu-Ray release planned. I want to own, not depend on some provider to maintain the streaming rights.

Did anything come of those Babylon 5 Blurays which were listed on an online shop?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Zaroff posted:

Apparently the remastered editions are also available on Amazon Prime too - a UK twitter account I follow had purchased them and was commenting how they were significantly better.

Ooh, that is good news, and yeah they are. A little expensive for me right now, but something to think about at some point.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Zaroff posted:

Did anything come of those Babylon 5 Blurays which were listed on an online shop?

Not as of yet, it was listed as March apparently

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/651884-babylon-5-coming-blu-ray.html

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I believe Swedish Discshop was one of the primary sources of this rumor, and they've since pushed the tentative release date back to the year's end, Dec 31, 2021.

So probably not coming all that soon.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The_Doctor posted:

TNG got blu-rays by CBS re-editing the episodes together from the 35mm film dailies, so now it looks gorgeous. It was expensive to do, and the blu-rays didn't sell nearly as well as they wanted, so they didn't even break even.

Yeah, and now you can see details that were obviously never foreseen for people to be able to be read.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah, and now you can see details that were obviously never foreseen for people to be able to be read.

"Well, as my great-grandfather used to say: Cool!"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

After a quick sampling on HBO:

It's in 4:3
There's a slight grain to the footage, but it does look better in live action.
The CGI is okay, not re-rendered quality but definitely watchable.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

pentyne posted:

At least 2 of them were at high risk for other health complications, but yeah they're dying in their ~60s or earlier while most of the OG Star Trek cast is still alive.

While I'm not surpised that Takei is alive, dude seems to have always taken care of himself, it's downright baffling that Shatter is still kicking.

I had thought Nichols has died, but i guess not, though it looks like she has dementia, and is 88, so I wouldn't be surprised if she passes this year. :(

Though in looking her up on Wikipedia, I discovered her brother was a member of Heaven's Gate and killed himself with the rest of them in 97. :stare:

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Perhaps it was something I said?

Perhaps it is everything you say :smugjones:

God G'Kar and Londo are so good.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

ThingOne posted:

Perhaps it was something I said?

Perhaps it is everything you say :smugjones:

God G'Kar and Londo are so good.

I never seen a show with such chemistry like them. Well, from the 'nerdy fiction' stuff, so far.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Is anyone in a position to resume their blind watch? i loved those reports so much... happy to spot someone a sweet av if they can finish a season.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ok, I absolutely promise I will watch my next episode very soon.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 31, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

S3ep14 - A Late Delivery From Avalon

Next thing you’ll be saying is he’s not Merlin.

Oof, it’s been a while, let’s see if it’s all still in my head.

Michael York! Let us not go to B5, it is a silly place. York is definitely classing up the joint. There’s shades of Doctor Who’s Battlefield (heavy sci-fi and Arthurian legend) and broad strokes ripped wholesale out of Boorman’s Excalibur.

Nice to see the Postal Service is still a bastion of virtues. Having just paid money to Royal Mail here in the UK to receive a Christmas gift I also feel Garibaldi’s pain. But extorting the post office to keep running? Put the rear end in a top hat hat back on, chief.

Oh, hey, our first proper look at the Ranger pin. It’s a very big and showy brooch for a supposedly secret organisation.

Marcus still feels like JMS’s new favourite toy. A year on a Drazi colony, a year on Minbar picking up the fundamentals of the language. Now he’s just in the right place to greet King Arthur and be duly deferential. When did he start doing all this? I wonder if it was a mistake to make someone quite so worldly who also looks like he’s barely mid-20s.

I did initially wonder if Arthur was another Vorlon hostage plucked from Earth, and I’m actually glad Marcus brings that up as continuity. When he tells the story of the negotiations with Mordred, my first thought was ‘oh, like the initial Minbari encounter...’ and then the whole story was immediately clear about where it was heading.

Franklin’s bedside manner here in telling Arthur the truth is terrible, and any psychologist/psychiatrist would have been much more sympathetic, and not so aggressive. Where’s Troi when you need her? There’s a lot to be said for appropriate ways of dealing with trauma and PTSD, but this isn’t it.

Garibaldi said he must have ditched his ID and papers on the Asimov, but did he come in a full suit of chainmail with a sword? There was no trouble getting it onto the ship in the first place?

Oh my god, the dodgy mannequin arm attached to the camera.

I guess sending Arthur off to Narn is a different ending for him that I was expecting. My guess was he’d either go back to Earth, or press on to Minbar. Warriors and spirituality seemed up his alley.

Who is Morgan le Fay? Sounds like JMS put a bit of thought into that role casting, and that absolutely feels like a dangling thought to come. We don’t really have any evil female characters, considering Talia is now likely dead. Lyta? That one psi-cop lady who shows up sometimes?

This episode felt like a bit of filler, but it’s fun enough. I was reminded very heavily of the one with David Warner seeking the Holy Grail, and I feel like this one suffers slightly from being too similar. However, Michael York’s charisma goes a long way here, and earns a lot of forgiveness.

It would be remiss of me not to mention Mira Furlan as the Lady of the Lake. No lines, but her presence is amazing. She will be missed.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
oh dear
oh dear
They are back!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Glad to see you haven't given up. I hope your schedule allows you to keep watching regularly.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Thanks, I love your recaps!

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
You're coming to another point where episodes were shown out of order: Originally episode 318 "Walkabout" was supposed to air right after episode 315 "Interludes and Examinations". It doesn't make a big difference but that was the original order.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The_Doctor posted:

S3ep14 - A Late Delivery From Avalon

Next thing you’ll be saying is he’s not Merlin.

Oof, it’s been a while, let’s see if it’s all still in my head.

Michael York! Let us not go to B5, it is a silly place. York is definitely classing up the joint. There’s shades of Doctor Who’s Battlefield (heavy sci-fi and Arthurian legend) and broad strokes ripped wholesale out of Boorman’s Excalibur.

Nice to see the Postal Service is still a bastion of virtues. Having just paid money to Royal Mail here in the UK to receive a Christmas gift I also feel Garibaldi’s pain. But extorting the post office to keep running? Put the rear end in a top hat hat back on, chief.

Oh, hey, our first proper look at the Ranger pin. It’s a very big and showy brooch for a supposedly secret organisation.

Marcus still feels like JMS’s new favourite toy. A year on a Drazi colony, a year on Minbar picking up the fundamentals of the language. Now he’s just in the right place to greet King Arthur and be duly deferential. When did he start doing all this? I wonder if it was a mistake to make someone quite so worldly who also looks like he’s barely mid-20s.

I did initially wonder if Arthur was another Vorlon hostage plucked from Earth, and I’m actually glad Marcus brings that up as continuity. When he tells the story of the negotiations with Mordred, my first thought was ‘oh, like the initial Minbari encounter...’ and then the whole story was immediately clear about where it was heading.

Franklin’s bedside manner here in telling Arthur the truth is terrible, and any psychologist/psychiatrist would have been much more sympathetic, and not so aggressive. Where’s Troi when you need her? There’s a lot to be said for appropriate ways of dealing with trauma and PTSD, but this isn’t it.

Garibaldi said he must have ditched his ID and papers on the Asimov, but did he come in a full suit of chainmail with a sword? There was no trouble getting it onto the ship in the first place?

Oh my god, the dodgy mannequin arm attached to the camera.

I guess sending Arthur off to Narn is a different ending for him that I was expecting. My guess was he’d either go back to Earth, or press on to Minbar. Warriors and spirituality seemed up his alley.

Who is Morgan le Fay? Sounds like JMS put a bit of thought into that role casting, and that absolutely feels like a dangling thought to come. We don’t really have any evil female characters, considering Talia is now likely dead. Lyta? That one psi-cop lady who shows up sometimes?

This episode felt like a bit of filler, but it’s fun enough. I was reminded very heavily of the one with David Warner seeking the Holy Grail, and I feel like this one suffers slightly from being too similar. However, Michael York’s charisma goes a long way here, and earns a lot of forgiveness.

It would be remiss of me not to mention Mira Furlan as the Lady of the Lake. No lines, but her presence is amazing. She will be missed.

G'kar and Arthur beating the poo poo out of the local gangsters to get back the innocent old lady's picture frame and then getting wasted in celebration of their chivalrous deeds, culminating in Arthur anointing G'kar as The Red Knight of the Round Table is one of my favorite scenes in the entire franchise.

I think this one hour of television single-handedly cemented a lifelong love of that rare subgenre of History/Myth clashing with Modern/Future settings. Well, this and Comes The Inquisitor.

The anguished cry of "Their horses were burning!" has also stuck with me since the first time I watched it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I enjoy Boorman's Excalibur, although not as much as Zardoz which would be an absolute masterpiece if it wasn't shite

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

G'kar and Arthur beating the poo poo out of the local gangsters to get back the innocent old lady's picture frame and then getting wasted in celebration of their chivalrous deeds, culminating in Arthur anointing G'kar as The Red Knight of the Round Table is one of my favorite scenes in the entire franchise.

The anguished cry of "Their horses were burning!" has also stuck with me since the first time I watched it.

Yes! I meant to mention both of those. Arthur and G’kar working surprisingly well together, with G’kar almost hanging a lampshade on the entire series by bemoaning the shades of moral grey that exist in life. It was a particular highlight.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

S3ep14 - Ship of Tears

Do not thump the book of G’quan. It is disrespectful.

Ah, ISN is back on the air, and has gone full Fox News propaganda wing.

Oh, new longer starfury! Looks alright.

And hey, it’s Bester again. Following up from Messages from Earth, we’re shuffling the telepath plot on a little bit more. This time we’re connecting the dots that episode laid out, that yes, the Shadows are using human telepaths in their ships. That said, who are the aliens doing the experimenting on the telepaths? They’re not the Streib (I think?).

How hard did Ivanova slap Bester to draw blood like that? Did she have some kind of heavy ring on? Or is his skin so paper thin it cut at the mere touch?

Oof, Delenn telling G’kar the truth about the lead up to the Shadow war is hard-going. The hesitance in her voice is fantastic acting, and Katsulas equally brings it. Excellent scene.

The image of Carolyn trussed up by wires in the middle of medlab was mildly horrifying, especially with the way you don’t see any body visible below her upper torso and the fact it doesn’t touch the ground at all. But I also giggled at ‘cyberweb implants’.

Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here, this is the war room! The paint on the walls is still wet! Also, that’s some super 90s overly bright lighting in there.

Not a huge amount of plot, 45 mins of just reiterating some plot points, joining up a few dots, and introducing the concept of telepaths as weapons/important parts of the Shadow ships. I appreciate the dichotomy of Bester’s ‘I don’t want my telepaths being used as weapon components by the Shadows’ against Sheridan’s new found ‘We have a weapon against them! Telepaths!’ I’m sure that’s going to end really well.

I have a brain itch here on one minor plot point. G’kar tells us that there are no Narn telepaths because the Shadows killed them all. But also G’quan and the remaining Narn telepaths drove out the Shadows. So there are Narn telepaths that made it out...?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

S3ep14 - Ship of Tears

I have a brain itch here on one minor plot point. G’kar tells us that there are no Narn telepaths because the Shadows killed them all. But also G’quan and the remaining Narn telepaths drove out the Shadows. So there are Narn telepaths that made it out...?

There are not. The Narn telepaths all died in the final battle, either in a last knockout strike to drive off the Shadows or to smash their defenses so the rest of the Narn could push them back. Either way, no Narn telepaths were alive after end of the war which is why an early G’Kar character beat was being a horn dog for other species’ telepaths.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Midjack posted:

There are not. The Narn telepaths all died in the final battle, either in a last knockout strike to drive off the Shadows or to smash their defenses so the rest of the Narn could push them back. Either way, no Narn telepaths were alive after end of the war which is why an early G’Kar character beat was being a horn dog for other species’ telepaths.

Oh god, that's right! he was trying to hook up with Lyta, wasn't he?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Oh god, that's right! he was trying to hook up with Lyta, wasn't he?

:quagmire:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The_Doctor posted:

S3ep14 - Ship of Tears

Do not thump the book of G’quan. It is disrespectful.
They’re not the Streib (I think?).

They are not

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

How hard did Ivanova slap Bester to draw blood like that? Did she have some kind of heavy ring on? Or is his skin so paper thin it cut at the mere touch?

Ivanova is a hard rear end and hates psycorps. The only reason Walker Smith was the first human to fight in the Mutai was because Ivanova was really loving busy in Ops.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:suspense:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Is this an E:15 reaction? It sure seems like one.

the latter third of Season 3 is probably the shows peak for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

Is this an E:15 reaction? It sure seems like one.

the latter third of Season 3 is probably the shows peak for me.

Yeah, I have a LOT OF WOrds to write up. :stare: