Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Slimy Hog posted:

Who's left at ss? Didi and Freddy Galvis?

Galvis went to the Orioles for 1.5m and a 250k trade bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Slimy Hog posted:

https://www.mlb.com/news/freddy-galvis-signs-with-orioles Galvis just signed with the Orioles for 1 year/1.5 (plus 250k if he's traded)

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

The Pussy Boss posted:

IMO it's good to remember that the Hall is just a museum. The writers can keep players out but they can't erase history. The home run chase happened, bloody sock happened, 762 happened, Manny being Manny, Sheffield bat waggle, Andruw Jones diving catches, Billy Wagner saves, all of it happened.

A lot of the best players from my childhood won't be in the HOF, and I've made peace with that. Who cares what a bunch of sportswriters thinks.

The best part about the sanctimony is that when McGwire and Sosa were chasing the home run record the sportswriters tripped all over themselves talking about how there would be no asterisk this time, and that the record would be the record, and they learned the mistakes of ostracizing Maris. They couldn't last a decade before cheerleading a literal stamping of an asterisk on the home run ball Bonds hit. :laffo:

It's all so embarrassing, in like two decades all the PEDers will be beloved after we find a new scandal to be outraged over.

General Bullshit fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 27, 2021

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

more falafel please posted:

https://www.mlb.com/news/freddy-galvis-signs-with-orioles Galvis just signed with the Orioles for 1 year/1.5 (plus 250k if he's traded)

Whelp I hope the Phils get Didi back.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

This is a ballot:

https://twitter.com/NotMrTibbs/status/1353696525709307907

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Chaos Hall hell yeah

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Slimy Hog posted:

Correa probably gonna be available at the deadline

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

A very good lad. HOF twitter account. And HOF in my heart.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

habeasdorkus posted:

What? Sheffield admitted to being a BALCO client.

Well I learned something new today! Maybe I just blocked it out because I always liked the guy. I retract my statement about Sheff but I stand by Helton

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Johnny Bravo posted:

I used to feel this way and to an extent still do but more and more I'm coming around to the idea that it's 2021 and being an exceptional rear end in a top hat of any flavor shouldn't be handwaved away. Until people like Schilling (or Bonds or whomever fits the narrative) are told gently caress off, we won't be memorializing you because your character absolutely sucks, then it'll never change. Ty Cobb was a hundred fuckin years ago nearly, how the gently caress has this taken so long for people (myself included) to say no, being a despicable piece of poo poo is not okay

It takes MLB actually taking a stand with the players of today. Broadly speaking, the culturally accepted standards for men of the 50s were awful compared to men of the 90s, and men of the 90s awful compared to today, and any multi-generational history is going to reflect some of that. Of course you have your occasional salt of the earth type like Hank Aaron (RIP) or Mike Trout who nobody will likely ever speak a bad word about because they're fine people. They're the exception, but a role model to prove that yes an ideal ballplayer can exist.

The HOF shouldn't be in the business of condoning lifestyles, it should be in the business of condoning baseball. MLB should be in the business of policing players conduct and making sure that people who are scum don't have HOF baseball careers.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dan Haren continues to rule.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

im not really good at the economy but did redditors just indirectly bankrupt the mets??

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

no. Cohen's firm invested 750 million of the 2.75 billion that Melvin Capital is getting after getting bodied over the gamestop thing. His firm wasn't the one to lose big.

It does sound a lot cooler to say "cohen's losing tons of money because of reddit" than "cohen's investing in another firm who got owned by reddit"

EDIT: Like, if Melvin Capital completely goes under and Cohen loses everything he has in the company, his net worth goes down to like...12 billion dollars. Oh no.

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 27, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/1354234732515651587

Was kinda hoping for a reunion but oh well, be good to our prodigal son Giants.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
This is disgusting, they really want no fans left https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1354280183210061831

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Troxartas posted:

This is disgusting, they really want no fans left https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1354280183210061831

They’re allegedly inquiring about Jose Ramirez, too. It’s a race to see Which fan base will erode faster!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

TheFlyingLlama posted:

no. Cohen's firm invested 750 million of the 2.75 billion that Melvin Capital is getting after getting bodied over the gamestop thing. His firm wasn't the one to lose big.

It does sound a lot cooler to say "cohen's losing tons of money because of reddit" than "cohen's investing in another firm who got owned by reddit"

EDIT: Like, if Melvin Capital completely goes under and Cohen loses everything he has in the company, his net worth goes down to like...12 billion dollars. Oh no.
He’s buying into an otherwise very lucrative hedge fund at a nice discount. If anything Cohen will make more money off the whole saga long term than all of r/wsb

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

They’re retiring the Fox Sports name and your RSN will now be Bally Sports. :barf:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Going to plan a family trip to drive to New York to look at a bust of Bud Selig and not any of the most famous players in the past 30 years

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

euphronius posted:

Going to plan a family trip to drive to New York to look at a bust of Bud Selig and not any of the most famous players in the past 30 years

Lmao

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Time for a trip to Wisconsin.

https://www.mlb.com/brewers/ballpark/attractions/selig-experience

Popete fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 27, 2021

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

quote:

The Selig Experience will be available for viewing during home games on a first-come, first served basis.

poo poo, get in line now!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It better consist of a statue of him shrugging during that one All-Star Game

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1354464142866796544
LOL @ trying to sell a cheating shitbag as a leader with great character LOL. Sometimes just don't talk.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Whoa mcmagic watch out you may burn yourself with these hot takes.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
perhaps they meant a lack of character, like, he's an example of a shitbag, and don't be like this guy

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kirios posted:

Whoa mcmagic watch out you may burn yourself with these hot takes.

That take really isn't that hot.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

mcmagic posted:

That take really isn't that hot.

:thejoke:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
He was a very good leader of the banging trash can brigade :shrug:

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Y'know, ever since a week ago, I have started to think that maybe we have been too hard on certain Astros players, specifically George Springer.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/1354234732515651587

Was kinda hoping for a reunion but oh well, be good to our prodigal son Giants.

Nice.

Not official yet, but sounds like it's 3 years. That would be Zaidi's first signing that extends beyond the rebuild into when the Giants are competing again (2022, hopefully). Also, a very Zaidi signing in that we already have Longo and Solano at 3rd and 2nd but now we have depth, can do platoons, move guys around, etc, all that stuff that the Dodgers are good at. Farhan owns.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

bewbies posted:

perhaps they meant a lack of character, like, he's an example of a shitbag, and don't be like this guy

No, we've all just seen the light now, and understand that he's a firey competitor with the will to win.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Look, if the Jays have to resurrect the Man in White, so be it.

They have some payroll flexibility left, so who's the biggest cheater left. Preferably someone that uses a lot of "foreign substances", but also not Trevor Bauer. We have standards in our post-racial paradise.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

schilling literally wants to destroy the press. Like murder journalists. That is his political ideology.

https://twitter.com/officialBBWAA/status/1354452876114817025?s=20

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
On the other hand it will be pretty funny when Schillings request is rejected and then he fails to make the hall his last eligible year. Denying him the satisfaction of "opting" out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Again, Schilling only wants to be removed so he doesn't have to suffer the indignity of having a lower number next year and being tossed off the ballot. He lost votes this year and that was before his support of insurrection caused some voters to publicly regret their votes. You don't lose momentum and then gain it back in these things, and its unlike he doesn't say or do something else terrible in the next year. He's just reading the writing on the wall and trying to say "I dumped them, they didn't dump me."

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The most insufferable thing about Hall of Fame voting now is the endless whining from writers about the vote. They complain that they don’t have clearer guidance from the HoF on the character clause, they complain that people care about the results too much, etc.

All these things are subjective, so someone has to decide and it might as well be a distributed decision based on a pool of ostensibly knowledgeable people.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bawfuls posted:

The most insufferable thing about Hall of Fame voting now is the endless whining from writers about the vote. They complain that they don’t have clearer guidance from the HoF on the character clause, they complain that people care about the results too much, etc.

All these things are subjective, so someone has to decide and it might as well be a distributed decision based on a pool of ostensibly knowledgeable people.

Can you recall any specific writer's clear and concise guidelines on how they consider candidates and vote that you'd agree with?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/mets/status/1354494977028587521?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Red posted:

Can you recall any specific writer's clear and concise guidelines on how they consider candidates and vote that you'd agree with?
I’ve seen ballots I generally agree with in the past. But the details are ultimately irrelevant because everyone will have a different subjective view on these things. What would be improved by 6 guys at the HoF deciding instead of 400 writers? It would still be the subjective opinion of a small group of people.

No matter who is deciding, it’s an aggregation of the opinions of a few people. Whoever that group is they should quit bitching about it the subjective nature of the whole process.