Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what's the best way to score used tools i couldn't afford new? craigslist? estate sales?

Craigslist is dicey because of tool thieves, FB marketplace is good, a reputable pawn shop that verifies serial numbers is decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what's the best way to score used tools i couldn't afford new? craigslist? estate sales?

I'll look at sold auctions on ebay for what I'm after to see if lowest prices are in ballpark for what I'm trying to pay, and if so I'll save searches refined for auction only and will "watch" the ones I'm interested in, and when ebay notifies me 15 min from auction close I'll set an alarm on my phone for a couple minutes before and put in what I'm trying to pay for my max bid right before it ends. And I do that til I get what I'm after

I also have found sweet deals at estate / garage sales, and indirectly on Craigslist by looking at the guys other poo poo he's got in his garage and asking about it

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
OfferUp is full of questionable sellers too.

you can choose to be bothered by buying tools stolen from home depot...or just not

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

BraveUlysses posted:

you can choose to be bothered by buying tools stolen from home depot...or just not

i would prefer to buy tools stolen from a big box store, actually. i'd even consider paying a premium for it

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i would prefer to buy tools stolen from a big box store, actually. i'd even consider paying a premium for it

Only Home Depot.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm not bothered by tools stolen from retailers, I'm bothered by tools stolen from tradesmen, who rely on those tools to make a living.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sharkytm posted:

Only Home Depot.

Menards seems to have some fuckers at the top.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I've got a local auction site that... it's not exclusively estate sales, but a lot of estate sales, plus other rando auctions. And the randos are sometimes gold.

Tonight I'm bidding on a Hilti 3-driver kit and a Hilti reciprocating saw and shop light kit with no batteries. There are a ton of filled tool boxes being sold and stuff, it's legit, but it's a weird grab bag. Last night a 45' long industrial edge banding machine that's got to be thousands of pounds with a lot of Allen Bradley controls and 3 phase motors sold for $65. :wtc:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BraveUlysses posted:

I watched a guy steal an armload of Milwaukee tools just this year. Amazing, just walked to the door in the garden section while three orange aprons asked the dumbest questions (did you pay for those?) and then ran from there.

It was a sight. They were completely helpless and for sure that guy got away with it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, Makita, Milwaukee and Makita all have great tools, it's very much once you're bought into an ecosystem you're stuck there. If someone broke in and stole all my tools and batteries tonight I'd probably switch to Milwaukee, though I like Makita for their unique engineering, and not having their brand absorbed by one of the global tool hegemonies.
Keep in mind that manufacturers will sometimes run promos where they will "switch you over" to their ecosystem.

We do this on the industrial side and, if you ever drive by an industrial wholesaler/tool place that has an open house and you see the Dewalt/Milwaukee banner/truck there, it might be worth your time to talk to the rep.

For example, I had a client that has a mix-mash of Milwaukee, dewalt, Bosch, and even some corded tools. Basically took everything that he had and gave him brand new Milwaukee equiv of everything. I think he had to buy 1-2 items (at a deal price for that matter) but basically all new everything for next to nothing.

It is a program that is more directed to the trades and large clients, BUT, I can't see why they wouldn't do it for a home guy if he had enough. The field reps job is to displace competitors and that's a very effective way to do it.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

StormDrain posted:

Can I get more color on the Makita trimmer? 18v or 36v? I'm coming from a corded one that was donated to me by my brother in law when they moved like a decade ago, it was never good, but always worked well enough, however now is fully busted. I may get the trimmer first and wait for my gas mower to die fully or get worse first. Or maybe just secure a promise that my wife will use an electric one.

I've got the 36v one and my review is: it's dope. I'll never touch a gas trimmer again.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I finally bought an oscillating multitool (Milwaukee M12). For the longest time, I didn't know what I'd use it for, now it's obvious.

I also violated the "don't buy cheap consumables" rule, because I know nothing about the blades and 28 blades for 28 bucks sounded better than 5 blades for $40.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Krakkles posted:

I finally bought an oscillating multitool (Milwaukee M12). For the longest time, I didn't know what I'd use it for, now it's obvious.

I also violated the "don't buy cheap consumables" rule, because I know nothing about the blades and 28 blades for 28 bucks sounded better than 5 blades for $40.

That's probably not a bad way to start. Blades are super variable, dependent on what you're cutting. Wood blades can last a long time, or dull quickly, seemingly at random. Hitting nails in the wood will knock teeth off in a hurry.

The nice thing is that even dull blades work, just with more smoke and smell. :v:

Smooth blades are good for caulk removal and stuff.

I haven't found a blade that really stands above the others, I've tried bimetal and carbide blades and the work, just not so much better than the cheapos to be worth the price difference.

Basically :shrug: you did fine.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That makes me feel better, thank you!

The stuff I'm planning to cut in the short term is all plastic, so I don't anticipate a lot of problems. Lots of smoke and smell, no matter what.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I use the multi tool a lot when installing laminate floors. Good for cutting door frames to fit floor and for notching out pieces to fit around corners.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

slidebite posted:

Keep in mind that manufacturers will sometimes run promos where they will "switch you over" to their ecosystem.

We do this on the industrial side and, if you ever drive by an industrial wholesaler/tool place that has an open house and you see the Dewalt/Milwaukee banner/truck there, it might be worth your time to talk to the rep.

For example, I had a client that has a mix-mash of Milwaukee, dewalt, Bosch, and even some corded tools. Basically took everything that he had and gave him brand new Milwaukee equiv of everything. I think he had to buy 1-2 items (at a deal price for that matter) but basically all new everything for next to nothing.

It is a program that is more directed to the trades and large clients, BUT, I can't see why they wouldn't do it for a home guy if he had enough. The field reps job is to displace competitors and that's a very effective way to do it.

Oh yeah, I picked up a free 3.0Ah battery with a deeply discounted circular saw from a DeWalt rep at Lowes awhile back.

I say I'd only switch over if all my stuff disappeared because I fo really like my DeWalt tools, and with my recent purchase I have 1 3Ah, 1 4Ah and 2 5Ah batteries.

My old impact driver and 2 cheap "6Ah" knockoff batteries are getting given away.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Krakkles posted:

Multitool is one of those things that once you have it, you wonder how you lived without it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ok, so, the multitool is good for removing grout.

What else?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Flush cutting shims, cutting square holes in drywall, cutting drywall along center of stud for patches. Getting awkward cuts in corners, squarely finishing corners.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Cool cool. Was considering getting one, now I know what else they can be used for!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It's one of those things you can live without generally, like most of the things I listed can be done with a utility knife, but it makes all of them done faster and usually more accurately. And sometimes for like, cutting the bottom of door trim to slide flooring under, it's hard to picture how else to do it, and this thing just does it and it's obvious it's the right tool.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks mate. I'm just a DIYer who hasn't needed one yet but I do need to regrout a tub soon so...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You could also attach a steak knife to one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN2jhnWNyxs&t=284s

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You gotta show the final review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9qN9LIChh4

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Specific reason I bought it: I need to cut plastic deep inside a double-DIN slot in the dash. Dremel would work but would be a lot harder to get where I need it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

StormDrain posted:

Flush cutting shims, cutting square holes in drywall, cutting drywall along center of stud for patches. Getting awkward cuts in corners, squarely finishing corners.

Yeah, flush cutting shims is great.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Krakkles posted:

Specific reason I bought it: I need to cut plastic deep inside a double-DIN slot in the dash. Dremel would work but would be a lot harder to get where I need it.

Whenever I use a dremel to do that exact job with the straight bit it likes to melt the plastic as it goes along.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
[quote=" post="512015283"]
Can I get more color on the Makita trimmer? 18v or 36v? I'm coming from a corded one that was donated to me by my brother in law when they moved like a decade ago, it was never good, but always worked well enough, however now is fully busted. I may get the trimmer first and wait for my gas mower to die fully or get worse first. Or maybe just secure a promise that my wife will use an electric one.
[/quote]

I have the previous generation of this brushless 18v string trimmer and it’s great for my small backyard. I can get roughly 45 minutes of trimming out of a 3 amp hour battery.

I haven’t tried using it against any woody brush though, and I expect I would need an interchangeable head with the brush knives if I were dealing with woods and not a lawn, similar to the 36v trimmer model with interchangeable attachments like cultivator head. Might be able to do brush knives with the 18v model, just haven’t tried finding ones that fit because I’m just dealing with grass and weeds.

I will say the 36v Makita chainsaw is pretty great though! I’ve used it to buck several hardwood trees, clear 2’ ash stumps, and it’s performed fantastically, even in a light November drizzle. It does churn through batteries, but a dual charger and 2 sets of 5 AH batteries kept me running pretty well last time I needed it for something big

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I can add that my 36v Makita trimmer (split shaft) can trim a full acre of orchard on the two 5.0AH batts.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I’m on team teal as well and pulled the trigger on an electric mower earlier this year. Really wanted the Makita, but couldn’t justify the price so I picked up a Kobalt 80v Brushless push mower on end of season clearance for ~250$. Eventually picked up another battery and blower for 115$ on another sale.

Holy poo poo both are absolutely fantastic, can not recommend highly enough, especially at giveaway pricing. Worth supporting another ecosystem. Was super tempted to get the trimmer as well, but I’ve already got a really nice Makita one that works great.

I've been pretty happy with my Kobalt mower, blower, chainsaw, and string-trimmer. Lowe's is pretty good about swapping out anything that's broken, but if you ever need replacement parts for some reason don't bother calling Kobalt, just go straight to Greenworks (the manufacturer). I needed a handle knob for a display I bought and Kobalt said my only option was to take the whole thing back to the store for an exchange. Greenworks mailed me a pair for free.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
I have this bamboo wall covering stuff in our bedroom - its basically a woven, pressed wood panel, too thick to cut with any sort of sheers or knife and too thin to be cut with a circ saw or sawzall I used a osculating tool to cut the holes in it for switch boxes and windows - I set up some fences for it out of aluminum stock I had and went to town - I got a bi-metal blade for it and I actually used it to demo a fence by plunging it in to the wood and thru the head of a screw - I havent used it in a year, but I know I have it, and I know its capabilities.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Cat Hatter posted:

I've been pretty happy with my Kobalt mower, blower, chainsaw, and string-trimmer. Lowe's is pretty good about swapping out anything that's broken, but if you ever need replacement parts for some reason don't bother calling Kobalt, just go straight to Greenworks (the manufacturer). I needed a handle knob for a display I bought and Kobalt said my only option was to take the whole thing back to the store for an exchange. Greenworks mailed me a pair for free.

That was my other reason I bought into the Kobalt lawn ecosystem, was that I read the 80v batteries are compatible across greenworks’ brands with a slight modification to a rail stop on the plastic housing of the battery. Figure the more ubiquitous, the cheaper the replacement

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

OSU_Matthew posted:

That was my other reason I bought into the Kobalt lawn ecosystem, was that I read the 80v batteries are compatible across greenworks’ brands with a slight modification to a rail stop on the plastic housing of the battery. Figure the more ubiquitous, the cheaper the replacement

Funny story about that...

Running a 3+ pound lithium battery through a table-saw is probably more at home in the OSHA thread.

First Kobalt tool I bought was a chainsaw I didn't need only because I got a deal I couldn't pass up when I pointed out that the saw someone had returned had a Greenworks battery jammed halfway into it with tool marks from where the previous owner had unsuccessfully tried to pry it back out. The store won in the end though because I was so impressed with the saw I decided to replace most of the rest of my gas equipment.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Cat Hatter posted:

Funny story about that...

Running a 3+ pound lithium battery through a table-saw is probably more at home in the OSHA thread.

First Kobalt tool I bought was a chainsaw I didn't need only because I got a deal I couldn't pass up when I pointed out that the saw someone had returned had a Greenworks battery jammed halfway into it with tool marks from where the previous owner had unsuccessfully tried to pry it back out. The store won in the end though because I was so impressed with the saw I decided to replace most of the rest of my gas equipment.

They just sold it to you like that? Wtf.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Elviscat posted:

They just sold it to you like that? Wtf.

I worked there at the time and right after I got done yelling at the returns desk for not looking inside the box before returning it I went and twisted a manager's arm into selling it to me for super cheap on the basis of "do you really want to pay me to fix this and then have to try and sell a used chainsaw with no battery, or would you rather just accept your losses now?"

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I’m impressed! How’d you get the battery out of there? And were you able to modify to get it working with the saw?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

He went on to buy $1,000 worth of additional tools and a table saw to extract and use the battery he got at a discount.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Tools! - buying $300 in tools to save $30 on a $100 tool.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

casque posted:

It was a simple misunderstanding that got blown out of proportion.

https://www.denverpost.com/2006/02/09/bowl-prank-turns-car-into-superdome/
I've heard that the same gas supplier once built a new store because a disgruntled employee opened up some bottles while closing on a Friday, and the place blew up over the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Not quite, but also not entirely inaccurate. I got the battery out by wiggling it back and forth with a pair of screwdrivers until I could get a good grip on it by hand. The only difference between a Kobalt and 80v Greenworks battery is the pair of slots closer to the bottom are at a slightly different place. I think it was two passes down the table-saw per side to enlarge the slot to where it would fit. You could probably do it with a Dremel but I would be very hesitant to try without a guide and full control over the cutting depth.

Kobalt on the right, both on their side. You can see how the guide channel for the GW is about a quarter inch closer to the centerline of the battery. If I was doing it again, I'd probably temporarily remove that screw during the cutting, just so that if I went too far the saw would be less likely to hit metal and kick.