Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Enderzero posted:

I did it. I beat a souls game. I had an crazy monk experience - I knew griefing was a possibility and on my first run The player was sitting cross legged in front of a statue. When he stood I saw he was equipped with a spear, freaked out, and tried to strip down fast as I could. Still no signs of hostility, so I bowed, and attacked with my bone and prepared for retaliation. It was only then I noticed how how goddamn fast his life was regenerating. Oh, poo poo.

So I threw off my weapons too, bowed again, and sat down, resigned to my fate but happy my equipment wouldn’t be destroyed. And then he bowed and hung back so we gestured a few times and then I took a chance, reequipped my bone and two handed him to death without any attempt to stop me. Victory. Helluva game, warts and all.

I have an old monk build just like that

basically its just built to make their lives hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

eonwe posted:

I have an old monk build just like that

basically its just built to make their lives hell

Yeah, I had read about the scraping spear griefing but forgot about the usually concomitant regeneration and just accepted my fate and I guess he realized there was no salt to be had and graciously took pity?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
On my dex build run, I got to the old monk room and the guy was sitting there, and the room was littered with dropped items; like 20+ of them.

Each one was a monk's head wrap. I suspected I might be in trouble....

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Seems like if you're going to PVP Old Monk you should run in naked with something crazy like the dual hiltless so the nerd waiting for you is caught off guard with his stupid spear.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
On my sec char, Dex/Mag and man it feels good to get 1-1,1-2,2-1 done without a death. And in an hour. Feels like that took me 5 hours the first run. Love the second run on a souls game.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
What the gently caress is this Maneater fight, easily the most frustrating boss fight in any souls game

So far I’m loving DeSR but the boss fights kinda suck

E: yes this is my first time playing demons souls

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've beaten the game a bunch of times but I still absolutely hate the Maneaters. Unless I'm playing a magic build and can just Firestorm them out of existence.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Colonel Whitey posted:

What the gently caress is this Maneater fight, easily the most frustrating boss fight in any souls game

I just got a PS5 and am really looking forward to seeing if my Flamelurker / Maneater memories are accurate, I remember Maneater being such a nightmare but in retrospect there's no way it's as bad as like, Dark Souls 3 DLC bosses right??

Also I haven't listened to any of the remake music yet but please tell me they delivered a kickass rendition of #1 bass clarinet showpiece in video games, Adjudicator's Theme.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

ReWinter posted:

I just got a PS5 and am really looking forward to seeing if my Flamelurker / Maneater memories are accurate, I remember Maneater being such a nightmare but in retrospect there's no way it's as bad as like, Dark Souls 3 DLC bosses right??

Uhhh it’s way way worse, just incredibly unfun and every death feels cheap as hell

I beat flamelurker in 2 tries but maneater is just kicking my poo poo in

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I want to whittle the first one down before the other one shows up but he just flies around like an idiot shooting his green beam into pillars. Fuckin fight me you bitch

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
In retrospect my favorite highlight of this thread was complaining about the lovely AI for Maneater and everyone who already played the game years ago nodding sagely.

Absolutely incredible that they kept every detail so exactly perfect to the PS3 game.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Am I wrong to be using the battle axe I started the game with? I got it up to +8 and I’m running a strength build but still have the option to go quality. I just haven’t found any weapons that I think are a big enough improvement to farm for upgrades. Kinda disappointed in the weapon selection so far. I’ve done the -1 stage of each zone and also 1-2 and 2-2. (as mentioned working on the boss of 3-2). Maybe I’m just not far enough along?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The weapon selection is just naturally smaller since it’s the first one in the series. I’ve always had a soft spot for the claymore so after 1-2 I never really found anything else as good. There are some weapons you can find that aren’t as ‘grounded’ as the rest. Ones you can find in 2-3 and 3-3 come to mind. It’s a fairly sword heavy game.

You can use grey stone to turn hardstone weapons into Crushing which boosts the strength scaling. So if you’re heavy into strength you could go that route.

My biggest issue with DeS isn’t the smaller weapon selection but the drop rate of the rare upgrading materials. As I said, I’ve invested entirely in the claymore so having to find greystone chunks for the great sword is just. Too much.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Colonel Whitey posted:

Am I wrong to be using the battle axe I started the game with? I got it up to +8 and I’m running a strength build but still have the option to go quality. I just haven’t found any weapons that I think are a big enough improvement to farm for upgrades. Kinda disappointed in the weapon selection so far. I’ve done the -1 stage of each zone and also 1-2 and 2-2. (as mentioned working on the boss of 3-2). Maybe I’m just not far enough along?

Nothing wrong with the Battle Axe at all! You can't really go wrong with any of the standard weapons in this game. That being said, it might be in your interest to buy a Mace from the Filthy Woman in 5-1/5-2; it's the exact same weapon in every regard (axes and hammers share the same movesets), but has the superior Blunt damage type. It's effectively a straight upgrade.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I technically didn’t die at all to Maneaters because those first 5 or so attempts where I got knocked off the ledge a few seconds into the fight I force-quit the game before I actually died

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

ReWinter posted:

Also I haven't listened to any of the remake music yet but please tell me they delivered a kickass rendition of #1 bass clarinet showpiece in video games, Adjudicator's Theme.

All remake music is tubas, men's choir and string quartets

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Knocking out white tendencies left and right now that I know how it works. It’s very counter intuitive if you’ve played the rest of the souls games.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
as someone who didnt get to play Demons Souls, but enjoyed the other souls games, soul tendency is my least favorite mechanic of any souls game

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I managed to get pure white tendency in each world I was in my first playthrough. You just need to kill yourself in the nexus every time you decide to gain your human form back. It still takes longer than it should.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Holy poo poo I kept getting wrecked in the Old Monk fight (or the run up to it, gently caress those hallway-blocking black phantoms) and I finally got someone who wasn’t good at the game. Up until then it was all hardcore pvpers with their bleed/poison/plague builds. At least I didn’t run into those scraping spear people I’ve been hearing about.

I also got invaded by Nino The Human who is a twitch streamer but didn’t get to fight him because I died in the hallway.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Can you get pure white after you’ve completed a world? I’ve beaten almost all the last bosses but I don’t think any of my worlds are pure white.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

seiferguy posted:

I managed to get pure white tendency in each world I was in my first playthrough. You just need to kill yourself in the nexus every time you decide to gain your human form back. It still takes longer than it should.

Well Yes but every other game it’s encouraged to ember before a boss so you can summon/ have more health. That’s the last thing you want to do in this game.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Colonel Whitey posted:

Can you get pure white after you’ve completed a world? I’ve beaten almost all the last bosses but I don’t think any of my worlds are pure white.

Sort of? But generally no: only bosses or invaders give White World Tendency, and obviously you have neither if you've cleared the worlds. The exception to this are the dragons in Boletarian Palace, which you can go kill whenever, as well as password phantoms (you can still be invaded in cleared worlds via password connections). Odds are you'll need a friend to help out for PWWT.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

seiferguy posted:

Yeah but you only did this by looking up a guide and learning how to manipulate an obtuse and arcane mechanic by studying how a video game works before you play it. Whether or not it’s easy to pull off because it’s irrelevant, you have to actively play the game “wrong” in order to figure it out.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Sort of? But generally no: only bosses or invaders give White World Tendency, and obviously you have neither if you've cleared the worlds. The exception to this are the dragons in Boletarian Palace, which you can go kill whenever, as well as password phantoms (you can still be invaded in cleared worlds via password connections). Odds are you'll need a friend to help out for PWWT.

Ok, I suspected maybe I was mostly locked out at this point. That's fine, this is my first playthrough, so I'm just going for the ride without thinking too hard about it.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
That's not accurate; you can still be invaded after killing all bosses in the remake, if you set a password. SL restrictions still apply though, but if you find someone in the right range you can even just have them try to target invade you and let you kill them.

e: and to be clear, the password you set doesn't matter for black eye stone, as it won't prevent others using it, but it does let them all start invading if they're in the right SL range

Red Eye Stone also works post-bosses, and I think should also count for tendency?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Colonel Whitey posted:

Ok, I suspected maybe I was mostly locked out at this point. That's fine, this is my first playthrough, so I'm just going for the ride without thinking too hard about it.

Im having way more fun on the second play through anyways but I was like you, I read as little as possible and didnt worry about tendency just tried to do a blind playthrough.

This second one Im going for tendency, more trophies, and finding every bit of treasure I missed

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

There’s something I’m just not understanding about the Dragon God fight. When does he see you, and when is it safe to run? It doesn’t seem to matter where he’s looking.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Gotta be quick. His eyes will go red when he can see you.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

a foolish pianist posted:

There’s something I’m just not understanding about the Dragon God fight. When does he see you, and when is it safe to run? It doesn’t seem to matter where he’s looking.

He's also way more scripted than you think, some attacks will just happen with you near cover after being seen.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Garl Vinland was an absolute joke lmao. He just stood there and let me outspace him. Bluepoint really should have reworked some of these boss fights, they’re either insanely trivial or too hard because of bad design or other bs.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Welp, got the dragon god. That was the most annoying boss fight since Bed of Chaos.

I still don't quite get how his gaze works. Getting to cover unseen seems as much up to chance as to paying attention to where he's looking.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Help I beat the game using Spells and Firestorm for every boss and now I can’t beat any of them as a Temple Knight. I have all the items from 1-1, 2-1, 4-1, and 5-1 but I’ve only beat Phalanx. Not really sure what weapons I want to be using for best DPS.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Help I beat the game using Spells and Firestorm for every boss and now I can’t beat any of them as a Temple Knight. I have all the items from 1-1, 2-1, 4-1, and 5-1 but I’ve only beat Phalanx. Not really sure what weapons I want to be using for best DPS.

What are your stats looking like?

Realistically right now you can coast with the Crescent Falchion or Blessed Mace through most of world 2 if you want, then kill the 4-1 boss for the Meat Cleaver (again the Crescent Falchion or Blessed Mace will be plenty strong enough to pull that off). I'd also recommend picking up the Dragon Long Sword in 2-2 since sometimes it can be a pain in the rear end to upgrade Blessed weapons and the Dragon Long Sword can carry you through world 5 pretty well to help you get Faintstone.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

only the last boss requires any combat skill whatsoever

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Bust Rodd posted:

Blessed Mace is the best for a faith build, for sure. At least before you can snag enough faith stones to augment another weapon if you choose to do so. But the blessed mace is great in world 4, since all the skeletons are weak to blunt attacks.

You'll want to get dex up high enough to use a bow competently since you don't have magic for ranged. I used the small compact bow till I got it upgraded enough to convert it to the lava bow which has only a 16dex /21 str requirement. I killed more bosses than I could count with using the bow, either exclusively or as a massive damage augment.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Getting to cover unseen seems as much up to chance as to paying attention to where he's looking.

You don't have to be unseen, just get to cover again before he attacks.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Welp, got the dragon god. That was the most annoying boss fight since Bed of Chaos.

I still don't quite get how his gaze works. Getting to cover unseen seems as much up to chance as to paying attention to where he's looking.

For the second phase, he won't ever see you if you only move when he howls in pain from the giant spear you jammed in his side.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Really having a total blast with Temple Knight

Vit: 14
Str: 21
End: 24
Faith: 23
Dex: 16

I’ve spent the entire time just jamming regen items and Blessed Mace with Cling Ring, just wearing pants and rolling around.

Last night I conquered Tower Knight, then Flamelurker, then Adjudicator. I was able to instantly craft Lava Bow and realized I had no arrows, where’s a good spot to grind up like 40?

I was bummed to discover I wasn’t strong enough for Meat Cleaver, so my next goal is to hit 26 STR for that sword. After that I was figuring I would just dump the rest of my points into endurance and faith so I could play with more miracles and try out some armor without dipping into fat roll.

This has been a PWWT run, no summons or invasions so far, and actually fighting the bosses hasn’t been so bad. Adjudicator in particular only has, like, 1 melee range attack? Tower Knight I got the extra achievement for killing them without killing the archers, it was very easy.

Demon Souls!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Last night I conquered Tower Knight, then Flamelurker, then Adjudicator. I was able to instantly craft Lava Bow and realized I had no arrows, where’s a good spot to grind up like 40?

Basic arrows are pretty cheap to buy in the Nexus, just farming up some souls and buying them will get you a ton.