Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If they make 1 more, I'd like to see Godzilla and Kong take on something like Destroyah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

There’s never been a clear solid winner in a vs movie.

Maaaaybe in kong vs Godzilla but Godzilla didn’t die so imo it doesn’t count.

In the run from Gojira to Invasion Of Astro-Monster, the only 1v1 Godzilla conflict without a clear winner is Godzilla vs Rodan. They’re presented as completely evenly matched, and then they just decide to stop fighting each other.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Tekne posted:

It's so dense.

All I hear seeing this gif is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw0r_CC0PvA

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Fan pages are getting really upset about the possibility of mechagodzilla being there so I hope he is.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tekne posted:

If they see enough profit for another movie or two in the Monsterverse, I'd love to see them take a crack at Bagan. He could be the end result of Dance's ecoterror goup collecting all the kaiju dna including Ghidorah and sticking it in a blender. That would be a threat requiring Godzilla, Kong, Rodan, Mothra, and all the others working together to take down. That being said, I would would love to see Legendary's take on Biolllante or Hedorah, especially the latter with how royally hosed the planet is becoming irl.

I feel like Hedorah would be an obvious next step for the Monsterverse. In a last ditch effort to destroy Godzilla, humans make and/or unleash Hedorah as a sort of global chemotherapy, knowing that it will damage the planet but hoping that it will destroy the other kaiju first

It wouldn't be the Hedorah movie I want(the Hedorah movie I want is a spiritual followup to Shin Godzilla, done in a similar style) but I think it could work

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Fan pages are getting really upset about the possibility of mechagodzilla being there so I hope he is.

...why?

Did they seriously expect it to be a straightforward GvK fight without any surprises?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I seriously cannot fathom the type of fan who follows and comments on a Godzilla fan page seeing MechaG being teased in an upcoming movie and going “oh noooooo that’s too many monsters!”

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I hope Jet Jaguar and King Caesar show up too.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

teagone posted:

I hope Jet Jaguar and King Caesar show up too.

I very strongly hope Jet Jaguar does not show up.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Give me GvKvKCvJJvHvMKGvA you cowards :argh:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gripweed posted:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm open to Jet Jaguar being good in Singular Point because the pilot looks awesome and the robot looks so lovely it immediately reminded me of Robotics;Notes, a show I like probably more than it deserves. But just based on his single movie appearance, Jet Jaguar is terrible and should only appear again if they're willing to do something radically different and better with the character.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Big Mean Jerk posted:

...why?

Did they seriously expect it to be a straightforward GvK fight without any surprises?

-In the showa era this would be fine and i'd buy it- but thus far the Legendary films have created a certain continuity of realism that would have a hard time creating a bio organic mech in disguise that would likewise convince the audience.

I can understand having a mechagodzilla. But a Godzilla disguied mechagodzilla? For some reason that seems like a stretch. (And yes i realize the irony in what I just said).

-I think Godzilla can sense the presence of Mechagodzilla and goes on a rampage because of that. Whoever built Mecha G (supposedly this "A.P.E.X.") might be trying to intentionally trigger a Titan war to get the creatures to eradicate themselves. Seems unnecessarily convoluted but whatever.

I don't think what we're seeing is Mechagodzilla in disguise mostly because I think that would betray the entire conciet of the movie. It'd be pulling an Armin Tamzarian all over again. The only in-universe way I can see it justified is if Ghidorah's regenerative abilities were manifested somehow to "grow" Godzilla skin around the mechanical Godzilla they built. But, again, that's kind of a cop-out to me in a film that's supposed to be about Godzilla fighting King Kong.

-Alright, ever since the GODZILLA Vs. KONG trailer came out, two specific subjects have quickly erupted, and I'm gonna my two cents on them in two separate posts. First let's get MechaGodzilla outta the way since he's a quicker topic to get over:

The theory surrounding this is that MechaGodzilla is disguised as Godzilla and is causing around trouble and acting in a behavior that was not displayed in the previous two movies (which I will get into in the next post). Most fans have quickly jumped to the theory because: A) they think it's the only logical conclusion to Godzilla "acting out of character" (to which, again, I will get into later); B) that was the big reveal and introduction in the character's debut film. There are several reasons why this theory ABSOLUTELY MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER, both inside and outside the movie:

Why would APEX send MechaGodzilla to attack and destroy their own facilities and resources (which would be a complete waste) all around the globe just to pin it on Godzilla when it would make much more sense to attack random cities to make it look more natural, thus easier to frame Godzilla than leaving an obviously suspicious pattern?
The reason why this worked in 1974 was because it was made by aliens, that is a justifiable reason. Where and how will they get all the material they need to make an artificial skin to cover Godzilla, especially with the enormous arms the new design has?
The biggest reason this doesn't hold up is because — IT WILL PISS OFF THE AUDIENCE! Make no mistake, MechaGodzilla being in the movie is a great added bonus and will no doubt add tons of fun and I welcome it, and in any other movie the Fake Godzilla twist would work, but it doesn't work here because PEOPLE WANT TO SEE KONG FIGHTING THE REAL GODZILLA, NOT AN IMPOSTOR. Why would anyone want that to happen?

Fans waited 59 years for this. 59 years for this crossover to happen. 59 years for a rematch most of us thought would never happen again. 59 years of red tapes and legal disputes that prevented it from happening. After all that time, half a century and nine years later, after FINALLY making the impossible possible, after all that just to reveal that the Godzilla Kong was fighting was a fake and the real one barely showed up in the movie until the very last minute?! GET. THE gently caress. OUTTA HERE!! That is the biggest middle finger to the audience since the Star Wars sequel trilogy screwed over Luke Skywalker and turned him into a total beaten down, runaway loser. That is not only the movie breaking word and not delivering what it promised, but that is killing all chances of generating big profits for a plot twist that works anywhere else but here. MechaGodzilla can work in this movie still without that plot twist, and I'm pretty sure the movie will do just that.
What the theory is suggesting is false advertising, and I'm pretty sure Legendary is smart enough to avoid it if they want this turkey to succeed. I don't care if fans complain the movie "missed the opportunity" to do Fake Godzilla again, I much rather prefer that the opportunity is missed so that we get to see the real Godzilla fight Kong. I rather accept that Godzilla has gone rogue and needs to be taken down a few pegs by Kong than accept that the whole premise of the movie was a total lie.

-Godzilla v Kong trailer finally dropped.

1 - Godzilla being a villain is a great idea. It's a great reason for the 2 to fight and is fitting for the final part of this story.

2 - mechagodzilla does not belong in this movie. This story is about Godzilla vs kong and it should stay that all he's going to do is muddle the story.

3 - this film is more focused on kong which I'm ok with.

4 - this film will clearly not have the cinematography of the other films.

5 - why do you have a kid communicating with the monkey? It's dumb.

Edit:

6 - I'm probably going to have fun with this movie most likely which basically all I care about for these movies at this point.

7 - while it's true that kong always has a relationship with man. I feel off put because kid characters in the last movie being not so interesting.

8 - the main reason I'm ok with kong being the main focus is that Godzilla already had a lot of focus and spotlight on him. Everyone see this as Godzilla winning so of course you focus on the underdog. And I always feel that Kong wasn't explored as a character enough.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Uhhh I think realism went completely out the window once they introduced helicarriers, giant underwater bases, and hollow earth.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gripweed posted:

:mods:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bootleg Trunks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Csif5l_6c

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Uhhh I think realism went completely out the window once they introduced helicarriers, giant underwater bases, and hollow earth.

KotM was so bad at visually selling the advanced tech that I'm not surprised people keep forgetting it was even in the movie.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The warbats are some f'd up lookin mofos.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"Fans have been waiting 59 years for this" is kinda overstating it. Like I hope it's a fun time but hey, the first time was fun too if a bit rough. This wasn't a film we needed or had any reason to expect until after 2014.

Plus it's probably the last Monsterverse flick, so Hell, go nuts.

I do think not having Hedorah in the series has been a missed opportunity if only because, man, a Hedorah realized with top-qualtiy CGI would be really neat. You could do all sorts of crazy poo poo with that. Ah well.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It was never a concern in big monster movies

Anyone claiming otherwise is just doing a weak marketing strategy

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Well right; that's the issue.

Part of what made Skull Island good, for example, is the specific image of Kong pulverizing Huey helicopters. Even when they introduced fictional locations and technologies - e.g. G14's MUTO containment facility, in the fictional city of Janjira - they're immensely plausible. The city looks like a city. The facility is just a bunch of wires and scaffolding, with multiple references to Jurassic Park to convey that it's like a shoddy zoo. They didn't even put a roof over it. The "hollow earth", in Skull Island, is just some large caves. All this stuff grounds the action: the creatures may be impossibly huge, but the human characters have major limitations.

But it's not just that the designs in Godzilla 2 are stupid, but that they're hugely unimaginative. The idea's that they're responding to the events of G14 with five years, a huge budget, and seemingly no oversight. They built an utterly enormous plane and massive warehouses, which are both boring and implausibly elaborate. It's the worst of both worlds, and better off being forgotten. Also, the "hollow earth" becoming a global teleportation network?

Mechagodzilla's a fun concept, obviously, but it needs a handwavey explanation (e.g. aliens, time travel, 50 years reverse-engineering a Godzilla corpse...) or it's going to overwhelm the film with all sorts of questions.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 27, 2021

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Kong built it as a totem of his enemy to focus his libidinal rage against.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
So there was that tweet posted awhile back with the apex map showing facility's and I've come up with a theory. I think there is no fake Godzilla, real G is attacking all the sites cause he can sense the King Gihdora head and he is aware the humans are trying to put something together to kill him.

Like maybe Godzilla doesn't like humans but isn't interested in destroying them. Apex gets desperate and trying to usurp him with an artificial titan and it super pisses big G off.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Mechagodzilla's a fun concept, obviously, but it needs a handwavey explanation (e.g. aliens, time travel, 50 years reverse-engineering a Godzilla corpse...) or it's going to overwhelm the film with all sorts of questions.

Speaking of, if they're this worried about Godzilla, why not just hit him with another Oxygen Destroyer? I don't believe there was any dialogue in King of the Monsters about them being unable to produce more.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Mechagodzilla has historically come from aliens, humans building it from future aliens having built a Mecha King Ghidorah, then humans building it around the bones of the original Godzilla which occasionally cause it to go berserk. We're already set up for a new Mechagodzilla to be built around the bones of an old Godzilla, using the decapitated head of the space alien Ghidorah just within the things shown in the two previous movies. Anything less silly would be the thing that doesn't fit.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Anyone know if War of the God Monsters is worth a blind buy? Its available for preorder now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1354464167303000064?s=19

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Ugh why does it have to be an anime series

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wish that studio that that the MIB, Godzilla, and Extreme Ghostbusters shows were still around.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Anime is OK

It is OK

Okay is anime

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Godzilla but it's animated in/around CalArts-style (Teen Titans Go, ThunderCats Roar, Pony Life, Star VS, Gumball, Steven Universe, etc)

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Basebf555 posted:

The anime will not hurt you

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Anime is OK

It is OK

Okay is anime

My reaction has more to do with the specific Godzilla anime they did a while ago, which I hated. I'm guessing some of the same people are involved in this.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

My reaction has more to do with the specific Godzilla anime they did a while ago, which I hated. I'm guessing some of the same people are involved in this.

I don’t have much reason to think they would be. That was purely a Toho thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Not so actually

Those movies were specifically a Toho venture and went through Polygon studios

This has nothing to do with Toho and is being done by the Castlevania people

I'm not sure why its being called an anime honestly- it's just an adult animation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's good to hear, I really like the Castlevainia series.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Is it worth checking out, I've been tempted but worried it was done in the trendy cheap animation style?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Is it worth checking out, I've been tempted but worried it was done in the trendy cheap animation style?

It's a lot of gore and not much else. It does look cheap, like they tried to keep it as static as possible to save money.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea the animation isn't anything great but I really enjoyed the characters and the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They should get Genndy Tartakovsky to direct a kaiju show.