Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
As promised, I figured I'd give an update regarding the forums finances and where we are at. I want to be open about such things - the money we make is to be managed by me on behalf of the community, rather than funding my own lifestyle, and as such there is no reason for me to keep these numbers private.

Income:
October 22nd - October 31st, 2020:
Raw store revenue: $8,401.55
Processing fees: -$509.30
Hosting cost: -$1,127.33

November 2020:
Raw store revenue: $7,903.01
Processing fees: -$635.22
Hosting cost: -$1,126.40

December 2020:
Raw Store Revenue: $5,549.14
Processing fees: -$463.28
Hosting cost -$1,138.45

Credit card processing fees are pretty harsh. Hosting costs remain relatively stable for now, but in the next year, costs will go up. We have some modernization projects that are going to require spinning up new servers and migrating to them, and, in the interim period, both new servers and old servers will co-exist. In addition, some of these new costs will be permanent and represent things that provide new functionality or development resources. It's wild that we don't have a dev database instance and I plan on keeping one around.

Other costs we will incur include bills for legal and accounting services. These will be for the purpose of keeping the business in good legal standing and are 100% unrelated to the initial transaction with lowtax - I gave my word that forums store purchases wouldn't go to him or making a deal with him, and I meant it. I have kept a strict separation between forums finances and my personal finances and that is how it will stay.

I would like to congratulate Skyl3lazer for spending the most the first month - he will get to permaban lowtax! He spent enough to pay for an entire month of hosting costs, super cool.

I think this has the potential to be a really good year for something awful. I intend to be proactive in growing this place, be it be enticing old users to return or attracting new ones, and I intend to do so without compromising the culture here. I think old-style internet forums are the best way to communicate online and I think a lot of people who have never posted on a forum would use them if they knew they were there.

Forums tech has been progressing nicely. I am still in the process of doing the legal legwork to hire Astral (it is more onerous than I ever realized to do this right.) We have some big improvements planned even if many of them are under the hood. There is a tech forum now that I expect will get much more active over the coming year as more stuff changes.

Overall, while we are covering our costs just fine, I could use more money for development work. I am not going to pretend that we're on our last legs, or struggling to pay hosting costs. That said, I am going to spend money on modernizing the software and software process around here. Developer hours are expensive and there is a lot of work to be done to modernize this place. It would be nice to have some sort stable base of revenue that doesn't so much depend on people making purchases each month. I am considering starting a patreon for this reason - recurring donations are difficult to implement in the store software we have, and it would be nice for planning purposes to be fairly certain we're gonna get at least $X/month. Please let me know what you think of this - my impression from the emails I've received is that a number of people are willing to contribute each month, and they currently don't have a way to do that.

I still don't have an update on the front page. There has been so much to do for the forums themselves that it's hard to even start thinking about the frontpage. I managed to get lowtax's name off of it, eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

As promised, I figured I'd give an update regarding the forums finances and where we are at. I want to be open about such things - the money we make is to be managed by me on behalf of the community, rather than funding my own lifestyle, and as such there is no reason for me to keep these numbers private.

Income:

November 2020:

December 2020:
Hosting cost -$1,138.45

Credit card processing fees are pretty harsh. Hosting costs remain relatively stable for now, but in the next year, costs will go up. We have some modernization projects that are going to require spinning up new servers and migrating to them, and, in the interim period, both new servers and old servers will co-exist. In addition, some of these new costs will be permanent and represent things that provide new functionality or development resources. It's wild that we don't have a dev database instance and I plan on keeping one around.

Other costs we will incur include bills for legal and accounting services. These will be for the purpose of keeping the business in good legal standing and are 100% unrelated to the initial transaction with lowtax - I gave my word that forums store purchases wouldn't go to him or making a deal with him, and I meant it. I have kept a strict separation between forums finances and my personal finances and that is how it will stay.

I would like to congratulate Skyl3lazer for spending the most the first month - he will get to permaban lowtax! He spent enough to pay for an entire month of hosting costs, super cool.

I think this has the potential to be a really good year for something awful. I intend to be proactive in growing this place, be it be enticing old users to return or attracting new ones, and I intend to do so without compromising the culture here. I think old-style internet forums are the best way to communicate online and I think a lot of people who have never posted on a forum would use them if they knew they were there.

Forums tech has been progressing nicely. I am still in the process of doing the legal legwork to hire Astral (it is more onerous than I ever realized to do this right.) We have some big improvements planned even if many of them are under the hood. There is a tech forum now that I expect will get much more active over the coming year as more stuff changes.

Overall, while we are covering our costs just fine, I could use more money for development work. I am not going to pretend that we're on our last legs, or struggling to pay hosting costs. That said, I am going to spend money on modernizing the software and software process around here. Developer hours are expensive and there is a lot of work to be done to modernize this place. It would be nice to have some sort stable base of revenue that doesn't so much depend on people making purchases each month. I am considering starting a patreon for this reason - recurring donations are difficult to implement in the store software we have, and it would be nice for planning purposes to be fairly certain we're gonna get at least $X/month. Please let me know what you think of this - my impression from the emails I've received is that a number of people are willing to contribute each month, and they currently don't have a way to do that.

I still don't have an update on the front page. There has been so much to do for the forums themselves that it's hard to even start thinking about the frontpage. I managed to get lowtax's name off of it, eventually.

nice

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ok cool

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I'm an Old School Poster (tm), but I gotta say I love how refreshing your transparency is Jeffrey. The drama with [INSERT OLD OWNER'S NAME HERE] is what brought me back to the site, but this sort of up-front stuff is what's keeping me coming back after like nearly a decade in the wilderness

thanks for being cool about this and giving me a place to shitpost that doesn't use my actual name

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Revenue going down..

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

u da bomb

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

there's a front page?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

lmao at how much lowtax lied

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

thanks for being a cool transparent owner, jeffrey

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I would sub to a Patreon.

Master J Plus
Apr 20, 2010

by Hand Knit
Diversify and open a Something Awful weed dispensary

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

the money we make is to be managed by me on behalf of the community, rather than funding my own lifestyle

I know you said this but have you tasted my artisan cookies yet?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

obviously 3 months are too short to draw conclusions from, but I'm curious if you have a general sense based on prior years what the inflow was. Is revenue higher? Lower? Returning to baseline?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Rarity posted:

I know you said this but have you tasted my artisan cookies yet?
For full disclosure I ate some fancy cookies about a month ago, but I paid for them with my own money.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

It would be nice to have some sort stable base of revenue that doesn't so much depend on people making purchases each month. I am considering starting a patreon for this reason -

Thanks for the transparency. If I were you though please consider an OnlyFans over patreon. There's been a lot of horny going around.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

low key sex master posted:

I'm an Old School Poster (tm), but I gotta say I love how refreshing your transparency is Jeffrey. The drama with [INSERT OLD OWNER'S NAME HERE] is what brought me back to the site, but this sort of up-front stuff is what's keeping me coming back after like nearly a decade in the wilderness

thanks for being cool about this and giving me a place to shitpost that doesn't use my actual name

seriously

thanks for not just occasionally swinging by to say PLEASE GIVE ME MONEY BECAUSE $current_reason

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug
I'd kick in a few bucks every month to a patreon.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

ChubbyChecker posted:

lmao at how much lowtax lied

THE FORUMS (my expensive cookie habit and my need to rent a 30 bedroom house in the middle of nowhere Missouri and a GTR) WILL COLLAPSE WITHOUT YOUR SUPPORT

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Income:

November 2020:

December 2020:
Hosting cost -$1,138.45

How do these figures compare to historic income and costs? For example, is there usually a dip in income from October -> December?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You misspelled Sky13lazer in the op.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Itdbecoolif the patrons on patreon got one free av/title text change per month or something in exchange for their continued support.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

obviously 3 months are too short to draw conclusions from, but I'm curious if you have a general sense based on prior years what the inflow was. Is revenue higher? Lower? Returning to baseline?
The data I have is highly variable - my first impression is we're a little lower than the average was a couple years ago, but that could easily swing up or down and it's close. That's not including lowtax's patreon income which was all just money on top of numbers kinda like these. January is already higher than December was fwiw.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

The Hambulance posted:

I'd kick in a few bucks every month to a patreon.

same

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I'd throw in if you opened a Patreon.

Thanks for the cool info.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I will be more than happy to throw five bucks a month at a patreon now that I know it's going towards dev costs and not somebody's new water heater

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I was doing a patreon for the forums 'before' quite happy to reinstate it. (Wasn't much but I get a lot out of this forum.)

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
:toot:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Numbers going down?? You're fired!!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

You rock, Jeff!

E. Also I got :five: on it

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 27, 2021

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Income:

November 2020:

December 2020:
Hosting cost -$1,138.45

This is very interesting, thanks for the transparency.

I know I'm fine to kick in $10/month on a Patreon or whatever to help keep the lights on/pay for coders here. I've gotten almost 15 years of use out of this place and $10/month seems cheap to keep it going.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I think a Patreon's a great idea and I'd definitely contribute to it. We already have good Discord representation within SA so there's some cool expansion we can do on that front to "justify" some of the Patreon tiers.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
How difficult would it be to setup some sort of SA subscription for recurring revenue instead of going through Patreon since they'd take a cut. Offer something like something awful.com email addresses and other cheap nerd poo poo in exchange for a sub.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Typically I think we slow down around the holidays, but I'm not sure if COVID affected that trend this year. COULD BE TALKING OUT OF MY rear end, THOUGH!

Still, thanks OP. Nice to have it laid out like this.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Thank you for everything you are doing Jeffery.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I just want to know what sort of shitposting will end up in the dev database, if only the tech folks have access to that.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

adding a recurring income stream seems reasonable for figuring out the development plan, but is there an idea of how much per month we'd all want to fund operations in perpetuity with a cushion for risks? obviously the development would flow off of the poster's needs and what the internet in year+x is like, but is there a plan for $100k/month to discourage donations, etc?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Keep shitpostin', comrades! Every av someone buys on your behalf is more money to the forums.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
This is cool and good, thank you.

Bring back old megathread boring non-FYADy GBS

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I would contribute $5/mo to a Patreon for the forum. I get enough value out of the forums that $5/mo is a bargain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Voted 5 and moved on :) good post OP!

fake edit:

It would be nice to have some sort stable base of revenue that doesn't so much depend on people making purchases each month. I am considering starting a patreon for this reason - recurring donations are difficult to implement in the store software we have, and it would be nice for planning purposes to be fairly certain we're gonna get at least $X/month.
I think this idea is: not bad