Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

so i guess this means the nbc-wwe relationship is fine

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/1353686735415291907/photo/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NBC continues to NBC the poo poo out of their coverage of anything that isn't football.

50 C-level or absolute no-name 'celebrities' got nearly as much screen time as the 25 best womens golfers in the world.

E: and a big chunk of their footage was of the women standing around waiting for the men to miss putts

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 25, 2021

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

NBC continues to NBC the poo poo out of their coverage of anything that isn't football.

50 C-level or absolute no-name 'celebrities' got nearly as much screen time as the 25 best womens golfers in the world.

E: and a big chunk of their footage was of the women standing around waiting for the men to miss putts

that seems to be more of an event format problem tbh if 2/3's of the field is male celebrities

ed
also holy poo poo that dude who they cited on twitter is uh not good

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

that seems to be more of an event format problem tbh if 2/3's of the field is male celebrities

ed
also holy poo poo that dude who they cited on twitter is uh not good

which dude

and yeah part of the problem which aa doesn't dive into is that for the am portion of the pro-am it was 52 celebrities, 2 of whom were women; i get not every women's sport event has to be a celebration of women and womanhood but it's incredible that they set themselves up for failure at every stage

especially making the leaders for the actual tournament for money wait behind mardy fuckin fish

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh yeah the event format itself doesn't help but this also smacks so hard of NBC doing that thing they do in the Olympics where they'd rather tell sob stories than show the actual events and the athletes themselves.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

Oh yeah the event format itself doesn't help but this also smacks so hard of NBC doing that thing they do in the Olympics where they'd rather tell sob stories than show the actual events and the athletes themselves.
I constantly rail against the human interest stories in their Olympics coverage but apparently a lot of the viewing audience actually like them??

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Josh Lyman posted:

I constantly rail against the human interest stories in their Olympics coverage but apparently a lot of the viewing audience actually like them??

Olympics draws a really casual audience that's a lot broader than most sporting events. Like my wife will get into the olympics and otherwise does not watch sports at all aside from rooting for Germany in the world cup because she lived there for a few years.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EDIT: ^^^ that too, yeah.

Josh Lyman posted:

Drama and emotion sell, always have. It's basically the televised version of a facebook/IG post from UpWorthy. "This Sick And Dying Puppy At The Shelter Made A Miraculous Recovery And Got Adopted By These Schoolkids! [Begin slideshow]"

Hell, look at every single video segment Tom Rinaldi did for ESPN over his years there.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Declan MacManus posted:

which dude

and yeah part of the problem which aa doesn't dive into is that for the am portion of the pro-am it was 52 celebrities, 2 of whom were women; i get not every women's sport event has to be a celebration of women and womanhood but it's incredible that they set themselves up for failure at every stage

especially making the leaders for the actual tournament for money wait behind mardy fuckin fish

they quoted some guy doing breakdowns on twitter on length if every segment type since I wanted more info and got a bunch of retweets from kevin sorbo and Charlie kirk

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The main primetime olympic events also have a pretty good amount of downtime during them when they’re live.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I wonder if Comcast just cuts out the middle man and buys WWE eventually. It would be cheaper than constantly having to pay rights fees in the long run.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Akileese posted:

I wonder if Comcast just cuts out the middle man and buys WWE eventually. It would be cheaper than constantly having to pay rights fees in the long run.

Seems like they could be hesitant to take on the legal liability and ongoing PR struggles of actually owning a wrestling league, but maybe it's not actually that big of a deal.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Vince would never sell for anywhere near where it's worth.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Akileese posted:

SAG-AFTRA just smiled and they don't know why.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Akileese posted:

If they were going to buy a terrible fringe sport it seems like they'd get a better deal on NASCAR.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Elitist Bitch posted:

If they were going to buy a terrible fringe sport it seems like they'd get a better deal on NASCAR.

If they get NASCAR they also get IMSA, it’s a two-fer! :haw:

Deathlove posted:

SAG-AFTRA just smiled and they don't know why.

Absolutely this. And then your rasslin’ profit margin goes way the gently caress down.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/yolo_pinyato/status/1354418062217289728

Portnoy spent 5 minutes definitely not being mad online after the NWHL told barstool to piss off

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/sbjsbd/status/1354416125535260677

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

They got the locations of Cleveland and Cincinnati reversed on that map.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mahoning posted:

They got the locations of Cleveland and Cincinnati reversed on that map.

I don’t think it’s supposed to be correct. Five of the six Florida team logos are in completely wrong locations, and all are clustered in the middle of the state, for example.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It has pretty much always been this way but it really is amazing how open sports are these days about existing largely as a thing for people to gamble on after a century plus of trying as hard as possible to hide that part of it

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
As someone with zero interest in gambling and who doesn't know anyone who's into it, it only became apparent to me in the last few years how many people see sports as a vehicle for betting money. Kinda sad.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

MourningView posted:

It has pretty much always been this way but it really is amazing how open sports are these days about existing largely as a thing for people to gamble on after a century plus of trying as hard as possible to hide that part of it

maybe in America, gambling has always been a big part of sports in Europe

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

zakharov posted:

As someone with zero interest in gambling and who doesn't know anyone who's into it, it only became apparent to me in the last few years how many people see sports as a vehicle for betting money. Kinda sad.

It's been a massive thing in Europe for decades now.

E: GIGI :argh:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

fartknocker posted:

I don’t think it’s supposed to be correct. Five of the six Florida team logos are in completely wrong locations, and all are clustered in the middle of the state, for example.

The central Florida teams are on top (under their proper RSN) and the Miami ones are on the bottom (above theirs). The Ohio one is a total graphic design gently caress up. A Great Lakes RSN is going to be for Cleveland.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
The Texas one is also hosed up and even the NOLA one is way too far West. I don't think there was any intention on making the symbols geographically line up.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Gigi Galli posted:

I mean it's always been big here but because of game fixing scandals (and because it was illegal most places) the leagues themselves used to work really hard to try to avoid talking about it. Like announcers had to find cutesy ways to allude to the spread like "and there are some people VERY interested in this field goal" if they acknowledged it at all. But now that more states are starting to legalize it they're all in on it as another way to make money and it's everywhere. I don't think it's a bad thing, I bet on games fairly regularly, it's just jarring after growing up with it being in the shadows.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
You guys are getting overly concerned with the map logo placement...hahah.

Also Bally Sport just sounds stupid. Or is that just me? Also watching Fox Sports North the other day every commercial break they kept pumping this Sinclair National News program that had a graphics package that looked like it was from iMovie.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 27, 2021

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

soggybagel posted:

You guys are getting overly concerned with the map logo placement...hahah.

Also Bally Sport just sounds stupid. Or is that just me? Also watching Fox Sports North the other day every commercial break they kept pumping this Sinclair National News program that had a graphics package that looked like it was from iMovie.

It sounds like a fitness club

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

LionYeti posted:

It sounds like a fitness club

You're not wrong. It was a fitness club

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bally_Total_Fitness

A different Bally's now sells exercise appreal and equipment

https://ballytotalfitness.com/

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Prime Ticket was a way better name than Bally Sports Socal. They could've just called it Ballys Prime Ticket and still had a better name.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Island Nation posted:

You're not wrong. It was a fitness club

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bally_Total_Fitness

A different Bally's now sells exercise appreal and equipment

https://ballytotalfitness.com/

The earlier incarnation of the company also made a very good early video game console.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Just makes me think of Bally Pinballs

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
makes me think of Bally's Las Vegas

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

makes me think of Bally's Las Vegas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdID_lAV2aE&t=73s

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I've only ever heard of the fitness club so this is a stupid name, to me.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

This whole nonsense is a bunch of ballyhoo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently Stugotz' mom died of COVID, according to the LeBatard Show local hour on Thurs.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently Stugotz' mom died of COVID, according to the LeBatard Show local hour on Thurs.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Gigi Galli posted:

Honestly, this was the single biggest culture shock thing for me the first time I went to London. I had no idea that sports on the TV was basically like watching the Gambling Channel and that there was a Ladbrokes on every corner.