Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

King Byo-Gen seems to be a bird

Huh, I initially thought he was some kind of weird unicorn or something. Wonder if he’s supposed to be a corrupted Healing Animal

I’m also curious why Toei felt the need to hide the name of his actor up until now. Last season made sense since Darknest was actually a woman wearing armor but that doesn’t seem to be the case here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
His art.

He has talons under his cloak and presumably wings as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

His art.

He has talons under his cloak and presumably wings as well.

Huh, Shindoine has really weird taste in men then.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Larryb posted:

Also it seems that King Byogen is voiced by Hozumi Goda.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hozumi_Gōda

King Byogen drinks, and the coffee of Sukoyaka is bitter indeed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I gotta say, Nodoka just running off and leaving Daruizen out to dry is not really something I expected from this franchise (though it makes perfect sense looking at it from her perspective, he basically ruined a large chunk of her life after all), especially him saying that Nodoka is just as selfish as he is at the end.

I’m very curious to see what happens in this regard following next week’s episode.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 24, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Two Tropical Rouge VAs have just been revealed:

https://twitter.com/precuredolphin/status/1353578057563398146

And another Symphogear actress joins the party (in this case, Laura is Prelati)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 25, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And the Tropical Rouge school uniforms:

Kind of Sailor Moon-esque in my opinion, I like this.

Also apparently there’s going to be a Symphogear/Sentai crossover of some kind:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=LQVYmIziMrQ

Related, is Symphogear worth watching? It looks cool but I’ve heard it can sometimes be a bit skeevy towards its main female characters.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 27, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Symphogear is worth watching.

Also the Symphogear Mobage has also done crossovers with Godzilla, Nanoha, Attack on Titan, and Gridman so I'm not super surprised they're doing one with Kiramager.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The first person gets pretty uncomfortable with a particular character and implies some very unnecessary things, but it gets kind of walked back in following ones since there's a director change.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

symphogear is fantastic

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

The first person gets pretty uncomfortable with a particular character and implies some very unnecessary things, but it gets kind of walked back in following ones since there's a director change.

Good to know, is every series in direct continuity with each other?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Justin_Brett posted:

i don't know if it's the director change because the one behind the series is directly involved with every season.

Larryb posted:

Good to know, is every series in direct continuity with each other?

yes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Are there any Symphogear movies? If so, are they any good/canon to the series?

Finally, is the series legally available anywhere in the west?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
No movies (so far), and I think it's still on Crunchyroll?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Are there any Symphogear movies? If so, are they any good/canon to the series?

Finally, is the series legally available anywhere in the west?

No, n/a, the whole thing is on Crunchyroll though the subs aren't as good as they could be.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

No, n/a, the whole thing is on Crunchyroll though the subs aren't as good as they could be.

Gotcha, though like is the case with Futari Wa is there a fansubbed version out there that’s slightly better quality sub wise?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Gotcha, though like is the case with Futari Wa is there a fansubbed version out there that’s slightly better quality sub wise?

Yes. Commie did the first couple of seasons long before there were official releases (and when it didn't look like there was going to be one, the show has a huge amount of music) and they kept going even after the whole thing was officially picked up in its final season. There's about 6 variant versions of the Commie one where people mostly have slap fights with how to translate certain proper nouns, but are otherwise 99% the same as Commie.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is Symphogear officially over now or are there any plans for a continuation?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It wrapped up pretty conclusively with the fifth season. It could have something more, and obviously the mobile game is still putting out content, but for the moment there's nothing animated in the works.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

So is Symphogear officially over now or are there any plans for a continuation?

It's officially over. The show ended really really really decisively and tied up basically every plot line it still had up in the air AND ALSO made the main pairing official. You never say never for things like this, but season 5 was clearly set up to be the final season well in advance and it shows.

If there's any hope of a continuation it will probably be in adapting the stuff from the Mobage, and that stopped following the canon of the show about a month after it launched.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And speaking of mobage stuff, has there been any word on when the second season of the Magia Record anime is supposed to start yet?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

And speaking of mobage stuff, has there been any word on when the second season of the Magia Record anime is supposed to start yet?

Nope. Air date TBD.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

Not quite true! Discotech released Season 1 and Season 2 with a retranslation.

No dub, though, and I don't blame them there, Symphogear would be a nightmare to dub due to the song focus.

Discotech are quite good with releaseing stuff so presumably the rest is forth coming.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 27, 2021

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Omnicrom posted:

Yes. Commie did the first couple of seasons long before there were official releases (and when it didn't look like there was going to be one, the show has a huge amount of music) and they kept going even after the whole thing was officially picked up in its final season. There's about 6 variant versions of the Commie one where people mostly have slap fights with how to translate certain proper nouns, but are otherwise 99% the same as Commie.

translating ame no habakiri is dumb

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

you heavenrended my eotena

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I remember the last 2 seasons having an okay CR translation, I just haven't rewatched the earlier ones on CR (Gonna do that when I get the Blu Rays)

Also hopefully the Ranger crossover with XDU leads to Precure at some point

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I remember the last 2 seasons having an okay CR translation, I just haven't rewatched the earlier ones on CR (Gonna do that when I get the Blu Rays)

Also hopefully the Ranger crossover with XDU leads to Precure at some point

Sort of surprised that hasn’t happened already honestly, the two shows do share a fair amount of voice actors in common after all (up to and including the upcoming Tropical Rouge as mentioned a little ways above).

In case anyone missed it, we’ve got two actresses revealed for said season already:

https://twitter.com/precuredolphin/status/1353578057563398146

Incidentally, I believe the former is the second mixed race actress to play a Cure in this franchise (the first being Cure Lovely’s VA who’s half Filipino).

Speaking of, here’s some voice clips for Cure Summer which I believe came from a bandaid app or something along those lines:

https://www.reddit.com/r/precure/comments/l5w1pk/cure_summernatsumi_manatsus_voice_preview_cv/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 28, 2021

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Motto posted:

you heavenrended my eotena

Yeah, watching HC with their subs has been intresting. Most of the time it seems like sensible translation decisions (Replacing Pottpuri's 'deshu' with her speech being slurred to effect ) but then sometimes they'd just be goofy for goofy's sake (Erika's cry of "What?!" being motion tracked to her agpe mouth).

And that's nothing compared to their SAO2 subs. Oh boy. Those were. A Thing.

And that time where they translated ChibiUsa, a name that has been accepted for, what, 15 some years up to that point, to MiniUsa, presumably to gently caress with people.

Commie were wierd.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 28, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tropical Rouge cast announced:

https://twitter.com/precuredolphin/status/1354899372618616833

The OP is titled "Viva! Spark! Tropical Rouge Precure" by Machico (singer of the OPs for Konosuba and voice of Tokai Teio in Uma Musume), while the ED is "Tropical I N G" by Chihaya Yoshitake, who sang the EDs for Star Twinkle.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 28, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, have some more prototype Precure designs. This time of Star and Milky:

https://twitter.com/precuredolphin/status/1355167062683910148

Also a bonus chapter of the Smile manga has been translated:

https://twitter.com/puritikuma/status/1284640316709011461

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 30, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Welp, Daruizen’s down (for now at least), King Byogen has gained a more humanoid body and Shindoine’s the only general still left standing, so far I’d say Healin Good is at least poised to go out on a high note if it keeps up the current momentum.

Also we’ve got some samples of the Tropical Rouge OP and ED:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7shk2dX2nsM

And our first trailer for the series itself:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GoMZuz-0hAY

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 31, 2021

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Grace just dunking on Daruizen was great and perfectly justified. Glad they went that route instead of having Grace protect him

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Grace just dunking on Daruizen was great and perfectly justified. Glad they went that route instead of having Grace protect him

That moment alone has elevated Nodoka to one of my top favorite Pinks.

Judging by the above trailer Tropical Rouge is looking pretty good as well (the humor seems rather Smile-esque).

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Much respect for Rabirin and basically everyone else going "Well yeah, why would you want to help him? He sucks."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I do like King Byo-gen’s new look.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Just watched Madoka Magica and the Rebellion movie! Loved the show, while the movie... not so much.

- I didn't know anything about the show except that there was a subversive element to it, but I got where it was going from the Doki Doki Literature Club vibes early on. Mami being murdered via decapitation with her twitching corpse filling the screen sure reminded me a lot of the sudden tone shift there, jesus. I also got a lot of Undertale vibes from the show. I imagine this was an inspiration for both.
- I thought the art was a negative overall. The real world style and character designs were very generic, and while the labyrinth style was unique, it was also usually kind of grotesque in a way that didn't appeal to me. There were some standout sequences though, particularly during combat.
- The early running gag of Hitomi thinking Madoka and Sayaka are ~~~secret lesbians~~~ and running off crying out of jealousy was good. "I guess it's true what they say... two's company but three... three's a crowd!" *sob*
- I also enjoyed the few appearances of their embittered teacher early on. I liked that she and Madoka's mom turned out to be drinking buddies.
- Extremely down with Sayaka's instinct being to bring a baseball bat on the witch patrols. Although the Marth gimmick really worked for her, I wish she would've been a Bronx bruiser-style magical girl.
- "That was a bonafide battle to the death, for reals."
- The number of times we're saying the phrase "magical girls" aloud in this series is unfortunate; it really does not roll off the tongue.
- I think the twist that Soul Gems are gems made of souls was, uh, not a twist. I mean, there being a limit on how far your gem can be from your body was a surprise, but everybody acting SHOCKED about this didn't work for me.
- The end of episode 7 was a major highlight. Just some wild poo poo that was built up well character-wise.
- "So, if you ever feel like dying for the sake of the universe, call me!"
- "Hey God, if you're there? My life sucked."
- I thought the twist with Homura's backstory worked much better. I didn't understand what was happening until the scene where she shoots Kyubey in the park, and I LOVED the execution of episode 10. It reminded me so much of the peaks of Death Note where you're watching this intricate puzzle unfold.
- "And if that goes against the laws of this universe, then I'll just rewrite those laws." I want to know the percentage of anime that culminate with killing or becoming God versus the same percentage for all other media. With the exception of JRPGs, it can't be close.
- I was going to recommend the movie, Rebellion, but it takes a hard turn in the final 20 minutes. Extra spoiler room for folks who have seen the show but not the movie... OK, I dunno what the gently caress they were thinking with Homura's heel turn. Like... why? Did the creator just decide after the show was done that, in hindsight, it was actually creepy of Homura to try to save Madoka and retconned her into a nutjob with the overall theme being "love is bad?" Or maybe the guy got dumped during the writing process? What a hateful, nihilistic capstone.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it's because homura loves madoka op

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

rebellion rules

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rebellion isn't nihilistic, imo, and i don't really think the idea is that what happened is strictly a terrible thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

surf rock posted:

I was going to recommend the movie, Rebellion, but it takes a hard turn in the final 20 minutes. Extra spoiler room for folks who have seen the show but not the movie... OK, I dunno what the gently caress they were thinking with Homura's heel turn. Like... why? Did the creator just decide after the show was done that, in hindsight, it was actually creepy of Homura to try to save Madoka and retconned her into a nutjob with the overall theme being "love is bad?" Or maybe the guy got dumped during the writing process? What a hateful, nihilistic capstone.

I think a lot of people (somewhat ironically) took at face value that Homura's feelings for Madoka were good and just because they were the main characters and "it can't be wrong to love someone, right?" Except by that point in Homura's cycles, it pretty clearly mutated into an unhealthy obsession. Madoka wasn't a person anymore. She was a goal, and by "sacrificing" herself, Madoka snatched Homura's prize away from her. IMO, Rebellion was a logical extension of those feelings. Without Madoka being there as something she could continue to latch onto, Homura just spiraled into what you see at the end. And fittingly (or not), the time looping that gave Madoka the power to break universal laws to ascend also ensured Homura was able to break them right back. Except, she never actually grew up or healed from her ordeal. It would've been different if she had her memory wiped along with the rest of the universe, but well...

I'm just sad we're probably never going to get an animated continuation because I would love to see how the revived characters deal with the clusterfuck she created.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 2, 2021