Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

lmao yeah halt a stock indefinitely because your friends need a way out after I bought 2DTE calls, shameful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

naked short bear

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I'm gonna just buy everything on the halt list.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

the simulation is unraveling

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

cr0y posted:

The news was Nokia saying " we don't know why this is happening"

Yeah but it's still halted

Edit: it's back

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Yeah, but how many of those have > $25 in their portfolio?

Ahh that's the catch! So if I had $30k then I can only day trade with $5k indefinitely? That makes much more sense!

I mean normal stocks not meme stocks lol

well with normal stocks it could actually be worse, meme stocks at least have insane trade volume so provided your sell price is near the bid/ask spread its like 1000% guaranteed it will sell because there is so much trading going on

on a normal stock if you try to sell your position as soon as you start to take a loss you need someone willing to buy the stock immediately. well guess what, don't you think that a million other people want to dump their stock as it decreases in value as well?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Even build a bear is getting in on this doomed 2000s brands nonsense lol.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
gently caress yes NOK unhalted. Buying more.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
wow i missed pltr bouncing off $40

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Ok so I'm probably an idiot, but how do you set both a Stop (for if the bottom drops out) and a limit sell (so I can automatically cash in on a boost) on Vanguard. I have 4 shares left, which I have a limit sell order up for $990. If I try to also set a stop order, it tells me "This order cannot be accepted because you have other open sell orders for this security. If all of these were to execute, the result would be a short position in this account."

Clearly there is the stop-limit option, but that seems to only be for more control over a stop, not for also selling high if that were to occur, but again, idiot here.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I remember following the trainwreck of bitcoin years ago, particularly MtGOX when they were in their heyday and they constantly stopped trading with convenient "server issues" whenever the price started to plummet (but never when it surged).

Good to see the big kid markets are equally capable of doing that crap in broad daylight when it's their rear end.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

well with normal stocks it could actually be worse, meme stocks at least have insane trade volume so provided your sell price is near the bid/ask spread its like 1000% guaranteed it will sell because there is so much trading going on

on a normal stock if you try to sell your position as soon as you start to take a loss you need someone willing to buy the stock immediately. well guess what, don't you think that a million other people want to dump their stock as it decreases in value as well?

Fair point. What about safe stocks like AAPL, TSLA, AMD, etc etc. I guess those are more long-term gain stocks though.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
LOL

https://twitter.com/business/status/1354498286124675077?s=20

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Schwab only let me do one purchase with my $0 brokerage account. I'm waiting on a bank transfer that won't clear until Friday. Also cashed out some of my ESPP (also Schwab), but that won't clear until Friday either for whatever reason. What can I do right now to get in on the fun?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Aruan posted:

legitimately whats going to suck is reading the horror stories about people who did this with retirement accounts. i saw some guy who got a bunch of cash on a business credit card and memeing with it. a ton of them bought on margin, took loans against their 401ks, etc.

not being an idiot is some definite FOMO at times, but also nice to know oyu won't lose your home

I have $750 locked into gme until at least tomorrow morning and while I am definitely not going to starve if it blows up, that’s still a lot of money to me and I already have a racing heart. I can’t imagine the stress stroke I would have if I used any sort of margin or anything for that.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

cant wait to find out the core of this is an even stupider turboconspiracy like barron trump schemeing to become independently wealthy or some poo poo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bhaal posted:

I remember following the trainwreck of bitcoin years ago, particularly MtGOX when they were in their heyday and they constantly stopped trading with convenient "server issues" whenever the price started to plummet (but never when it surged).

Good to see the big kid markets are equally capable of doing that crap in broad daylight when it's their rear end.

Big boy markets seem to crash when it surges too

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SPACs seem to be the safer money print. Is there a list of SPACs that are looking like they'll pop sooner rather than later? This thread got too dense too fast.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
Bought some more shares of AMC gonna ride this out and see how high my 69 shares do

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Biden's gonna shut down reddit before sending those stimulus checks.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

SPACs seem to be the safer money print. Is there a list of SPACs that are looking like they'll pop sooner rather than later? This thread got too dense too fast.

Look for fistenergy posts and the person with the Chrono across doggie av! Hope this helps - I bought FTOC!!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

gandlethorpe posted:

Biden's gonna shut down reddit before sending those stimulus checks.

Based Biden spent his early access stimmy on GME

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Deviant posted:

cant wait to find out the core of this is an even stupider turboconspiracy like barron trump schemeing to become independently wealthy or some poo poo

2020 and 2021 has taught me that the stupidest outcome is probably the most likely

and i can't think of anything more stupid than a bunch of reddit posters creating a massive pump and dump* that takes off to become so widespread that it breaks trading apps, forces multiple trading halts and has major investors losing their mind on tv.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

SPACs seem to be the safer money print.

What a sentence this is

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 27, 2021

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/CafeDeCheshire1/status/1354472920064679937

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
in all seriousness though it's been a fun learning experience with you guys.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
If somebody finds the full Chamath interview can you please post it here? I'm looking but not finding.

Henry Scorpio
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe it just collapsed on its own?
This situation is pretty hilarious, but how is this not a pump and dump scheme that the SEC will prosecute? I suppose intent matters, and maybe if it is for LOLs / to destroy hedges it doesn't count?

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

I'm also interested in that Chamath interview if anyone finds it.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...
I just bought 10 shares of Build a Bear workshop. I'm in on all the BB-Memes.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Handen posted:

If somebody finds the full Chamath interview can you please post it here? I'm looking but not finding.

This is all I could find

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

mongeese posted:

I just bought 10 shares of Build a Bear workshop. I'm in on all the BB-Memes.

This made me LOL but then I checked out the share price and...up 50% today so what do I know
All aboard the BB train!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bbw train hell ya

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

A friend is trying their best to hodl like hell and I check in on them every day to make sure they're hydrating (yes) and sleeping (barely). Isn't there a saying in investing about how you can either eat well or sleep well?

I wish that friend and all of you the best of luck.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

George H.W. oval office posted:

Even build a bear is getting in on this doomed 2000s brands nonsense lol.

Sold some Feb 5 puts on BBW because IV is like 500% heh.

It'll crash, but I bet not all the way down past 3. Everyone is making millions today and I'm getting excited about selling 1.5K in puts.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

https://twitter.com/randileeharper/status/1354475994481004544?s=19

This is such a strange week.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Henry Scorpio posted:

This situation is pretty hilarious, but how is this not a pump and dump scheme that the SEC will prosecute? I suppose intent matters, and maybe if it is for LOLs / to destroy hedges it doesn't count?

It's a short squeeze in gmes case. The sec is absolutely gonna look very hard at wsb for all the other meme stocks but gme is a unique situation in which a bunch of random people on reddit saw an opening to win big.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

NOK is trading a 750M volume right now. They froze trading like twice.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This whole thing ends with the top moderator of the WSB subreddit selling their account to a hedge fund manager for some six figure sum and shutting the sub down

ooo, or putting all posts into the mod queue and selling access to inside information!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

FCKGW posted:

This whole thing ends with the top moderator of the WSB subreddit selling their account to a hedge fund manager for some six figure sum and shutting the sub down

It'd have to be more than six figures at this point.