Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm kinda touched by the face masks in Compu-toon. Good Boyce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Old grandpa isn’t dead yet noticing that dump truck rear end.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

There was no need to murder that man so violently, Anja :allears:

Classic Kevin and Kell (April 5-9, 1999)

First appearance: Ray Flambeau. He's a bit dim! :haw:

And I feel dirty because I made that joke.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kazoi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/26/01

Brenda Starr 9/23/45

So is this Basil's first appearance? Could be! Or it could be just a random peeping tom in an eyepatch and cape.

Smokey Stover 5/8-10/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

The Little Tavern was a chain of White Castle-esque burger joints that was popular in the DMV area before going out of business in the early 2000s.

Bonus ad! Meet Peter Pain, Ben-Gay's mascot. Also, we're only a couple months past V-J Day here and the theme of soldiers returning to a hero's welcome is already showing up in ads.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh man it's like Smokey Stover is deliberately drawing this out for a 2021 audience :allears:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (May 29, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 29, 1999)

Garfield Classic (May 29, 1989)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Circus Windows Mildred is on the freaking Moon!

Also the 10th and final volume of Bad Machinery goes on sale today!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The other day I drafted a post criticizing Heathcliff, saying that it is a strip you can safely scroll past because, for as "crazy" as it is is, most of the time it's just something like Heathcliff and the kid watching a pug driving a Go-kart with a pug's face on the front, and the kid says "Pug-Kart." And that's it. Then, two weeks later, you'd see the exact same visual gag but now there would be two pugs driving and the caption would be "Go-Pugs." The strip isn't just lazy, it's repetitive.

I wound up not posting it because I thought "What do I care, that's a hyperbolic take; it lands a joke every now and then and it's not that derivative." Then, this week:

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

To quote Nick Wiger in that article about modern Heathcliff, “I think I am actually mad.”

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

The other day I drafted a post criticizing Heathcliff, saying that it is a strip you can safely scroll past because, for as "crazy" as it is is, most of the time it's just something like Heathcliff and the kid watching a pug driving a Go-kart with a pug's face on the front, and the kid says "Pug-Kart." And that's it. Then, two weeks later, you'd see the exact same visual gag but now there would be two pugs driving and the caption would be "Go-Pugs." The strip isn't just lazy, it's repetitive.

I wound up not posting it because I thought "What do I care, that's a hyperbolic take; it lands a joke every now and then and it's not that derivative." Then, this week:

To quote Nick Wiger in that article about modern Heathcliff, “I think I am actually mad.”

At least when they flipped the artwork, they flipped BACK the diplomas.

e: actually, I don't think it's flipped! The therapist's leg and arm interact differently with the chair. I think completely redrawing it, but copy/pasting a punchline, almost loops back around to charming again.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 27, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 29, 1999)

Gene's got a point, with twenty folk you could sail the seas for American gold and fire no gun; shed no tears!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Huxley posted:

At least when they flipped the artwork, they flipped BACK the diplomas.

e: actually, I don't think it's flipped! The therapist's leg and arm interact differently with the chair. I think completely redrawing it, but copy/pasting a punchline, almost loops back around to charming again.

I did notice that it appeared to be completely redrawn. Which is nice. But it's still the same "joke," two days apart.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Samovar posted:

Gene's got a point, with twenty folk you could sail the seas for American gold and fire no gun; shed no tears!

Jesus, that Barrett's Privateers thing really has legs

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

PainterofCrap posted:

Jesus, that Barrett's Privateers thing really has legs

Well, more legs than the last of Barrett's Privateers, anyway.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

The Good Innvandrer

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i’m a fan of the grotesque but even i can’t look at pondus longer than, like, a second

and i like basil wolverton for god’s sake

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 20, 1943)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the incoming factoids about Too-Tikki

She's based on Tuulikki Pietilä, Tove's life partner/gal pal.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Strong look from Val in the thigh highs.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I don't think I've seen anyone get so repeatedly owned in a comic strip as Fowler Hitz.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SubNat posted:

Moomin and the incoming factoids about Too-Tikki

Oh poo poo I just realized I've never read this one.

also that it's really loving dark hundreds of dead birds what the gently caress moomin this isn't curl up with a cup of tea material

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh poo poo I just realized I've never read this one.

also that it's really loving dark hundreds of dead birds what the gently caress moomin this isn't curl up with a cup of tea material

Hey life in Finland is rough.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Dykes to Watch Out For
Continuing on with the next chunk of "Serial Monogamy"...

pp. 109: Ok. "____s I Have Known" is a popular little joke format deriving, I think, from the naturalist Ernest Thomas Seton's 1898 book Wild Animals I Have Known. Sample riffs include the novel Riots I Have Known, the memoirs Five Germanys I Have Known and Pianos I Have Known, Dead People I Have Known, Barney Fife and Other Characters I Have Known, and so on.

Young Bechdel is sitting here listening to "The Woman in Your Life is You," by the folk singer Alix Dobkin, off of her 1975 LP Lavender Janes Loves Lesbians, which of course Bechdel is also holding. Unfortunately judging by Dobkin's later years and her editorial writing, Lavender Jane Does Not Love Trans People so let's move on.

The Second Sex is a classic 1949 text by the feminist existentialist Simone de Beauvoir and remains staple reading for highschool and college students. The basic argument is that in a patriarchal society, women are defined as the shadow of men, and are only perceptible through the negative outline of what's constituted as masculine. She also argues that women have been shackled by the emergence of commerce and, eventually, capitalism, being at once excluded from many forms of labor and often coerced into simply serving as a reproductive unit to create future labor power. It's a good book.

Next to that she appears to be reading a Tintin album-- I can't make out the lettering on the bottom of the cover so I don't know if it's a real Tintin or a pastiche. Bechdel has written in various interviews about the influence Herge had on her art-- I think the thumbprint is pretty obvious.

Gyn/Ecology: The Metaethics of Radical Feminism is a 1979 book by the philosopher Mary Daly, linking "female energy" to the vagina and the fundamental power of creation. It came under fire by Audre Lorde shortly after its publication for being narrowly Eurocentric and rather oblivious to the myths and lives of women of color.

It also includes these following transphobic gems, which, no lie, shoved me all the way into the back of the closet in despair and disgust in college when I first read the drat book, so this page has turned into a true loving bummer to annotate!

quote:

"Today the Frankenstein phenomenon is omnipresent . . . in . . . phallocratic technology. . . . Transsexualism is an example of male surgical siring which invades the female world with substitutes."

quote:

"Transsexualism, which Janice Raymond has shown to be essentially a male problem, is an attempt to change males into females, whereas in fact no male can assume female chromosomes and life history/experience."

quote:

"The surgeons and hormone therapists of the transsexual kingdom . . . can be said to produce feminine persons. They cannot produce women."

She was also the dissertation advisor to Janice Raymond, who would go on to publish her thesis as the foundational TERF text The Transsexual Empire.

Young Bechdel, get your poo poo together!

pp.110: Alison Bechdel's parents will later become central to her two full-length graphic memoirs, Fun Home and Are You My Mother?

pp.111: This is just TV trivia. The Brady Bunch was a notoriously wholesome sitcom with a groovy twist, about a widower and a widow with three kids each who get married and wind up with this big rambling household. It ran from 1969 to 1974 and sure enough Florence Henderson, who played Carol Brady, the mother, had a series of affairs during her time on the show. One persistent rumor had it that she (36) dated the 16 year old actor of Peter Brady, which provided plenty of grist for the gossip mill.

Danny Bonaduce, who played Danny Partridge on The Partridge Family, was indeed arrested in 1991 for beating and robbing a trans sex worker.

Butch Patrick, who played Eddie the werewolf child on The Munsters, has been in and out of rehab several times.

pp.113: Bechdel is now reading Tintin Meets the Shakers which sounds like a delightful time. She's also singing "Simple Gifts," a Shaker tune I'm profoundly fond of, composed in 1848 by Elder Joseph Brackett. Some Shakers maintain that it was dictated by an African American spirit, a "gift song" handed down from heaven, which is a lovely and moving theological notion but I'll stick with giving Elder Brackett his shake.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 27, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The death of one man birb is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

The death of one man birb is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic.

And an opportunity to make coffins.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Normally I'd say that would be boring but really it sounds nice right about now.

Mark Trail

That turkey is very grateful the crane showed up.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Is Buck about to die? :pray:

Andertoons

It's called a gundam, mom! :rolleyes:

Apartment 3-G

"His temperature has been steadily going down now that he's dead!"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hahahaha wow I really want to stop harping on the art but look at them.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Thanks for meeting me here at Wowee, y'know it's Howgeefest this month

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

JethroMcB posted:

Thanks for meeting me here at Wowee, y'know it's Howgeefest this month
God I love their "macaroni and also cheez is added to it" and their Pretzel Halves and Pretzel Wholes...gently caress now I really want to go to Wawa.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Why does she suddenly need a glass to the door when the walls have been explicitly set up as being paper thin and blocking no sound?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Jeremy no don't name the cat after a talented racist.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The Shadow and Flyin' Jenny Aug. 13th, 1940

Axa

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Jeremy wanting to name the cat Clapton is giving the same vibes as 16-year-old Peter in Foxtrot being super into Bruce Springsteen

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

garfield hentai posted:

Jeremy wanting to name the cat Clapton is giving the same vibes as 16-year-old Peter in Foxtrot being super into Bruce Springsteen

Sometimes teens are into classic rock, I was obsessed with The Doors in high school.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I was a nineties teen who was really into Pink Floyd.

Because my dad was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SubNat posted:

She's based on Tuulikki Pietil, Tove's life partner/gal pal.

Too-Tikki is a lady? I literally never realized. But in hindsight, she is the best so of *COURSE* Tove based her off her gal pal.