Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Lots of good offenses are pretty simple and predictable anymore, as long as it's the right kind of simple it's okay. Like you can call the same couple of RPOs over and over and still be pretty hard to stop if you're executing them right. That was sort of the theory behind the Baylor offense under Briles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Fair enough. The 'rumor' on Chadwell is that he had NCAA sanctions at Charleston Southern so that may be why he wasn't contacted but internet etc.

It's not a rumor, he did run into NCAA trouble there -- I don't recall it being anything too severe, but obviously a school dealing with impending recruiting-related sanctions isn't gonna look in that direction. I think that and this being his first good year is why everyone stayed away from him this cycle.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

RumbleFish posted:

It's not a rumor, he did run into NCAA trouble there -- I don't recall it being anything too severe, but obviously a school dealing with impending recruiting-related sanctions isn't gonna look in that direction. I think that and this being his first good year is why everyone stayed away from him this cycle.

Sorry, to be clear I meant that the NCAA stuff is supposedly the reason we stayed away, as in it wouldn't be a good look to hire a guy that's had previous trouble when we're about to get nailed. I guess the one year thing maybe factored too.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

So my completely unqualified opinion--as a person who was excited about Muschamp's hire at UF--is that I'm glad Tennessee hired Heupel.

I'm wrong often enough that this may portend some creamsicle success.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
To sum up Josh Heupel in terms I'd understand, he's around 400 micro-Ellis Johnsons?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I somehow only just saw a picture of him and this mfer does look like Chumlee

lol Heupel beat Weinke in the 2000 NC and now he gets to fire Weinke as UT's QB coach.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 27, 2021

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
this Tennessee hire STINKS

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

zimbomonkey posted:

Boy it's gonna be hard to build a program as a springboard.

Boise State and Houston have done alright over the years. UCF is a truly great G5 job.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I somehow only just saw a picture of him and this mfer does look like Chumlee

Yeah that's why I've been giving him a hard time (apart from his declining W-L record). He just doesn't convey an air of intense discipline and leadership. Superficial though that might be I have to think it will not help in recruiting when he shuffles into momma's living room.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I hope UCF hires him.

Him and Jeff Scott as the coaches for the War on I-4 would legitimately be really funny.

MourningView posted:

Well yeah but unfortunately that's every G5 team. Either you're medicore or you lose your coach after a couple good years. Cinci is lucky that Fickell seems pretty picky but even they're losing coordinators and will probably lose him relatively soon.

I don't think people really appreciate how rare it is that someone like Fickell just decides to hang out. Granted, I can think of basically nowhere that's a better cultural fit for an extremely catholic midwestern football coach, as a city, than Cincinnati, but he really seems destined to leave for like 1 of 4 jobs (OSU, ND, PSU, mayyyybe Michigan?).

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1354492959534800903?s=21

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

DrunkPanda posted:

This is exactly what I thought when everyone was singing Danny White's praises. "But wasn't he the guy that hired Josh Heupel?". Hopefully he has another Heupel-like hire in him :)

Yes... ha ha ha.... YES!

I can't overemphasize how pleased I am that Danny White just brought his failure coach with him to Tennessee. It makes me feel better about the fact that my team hired a mediocre NFL wide receiver's coach to be their head coach last year

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

ok

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1354486436255379468?s=20

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Good luck with that hire Vols. At this point the last decade has been largely such poo poo that honestly it would be hard to surprise me with whatever we get from Heupel.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

FWIW re: Heupel Bob fired him less because he sucked as OC (wasn't great, definitely a few embarrassing games, mostly just uninspiring) but more because the program was getting stale and the defense was headed in the wrong direction, and Bob needed to do some shuffling that didn't involve firing his brother. Basically was a scapegoat to nepotism.

For that reason Heupel is EXTREMELY bitter toward OU and Bob in particular--they literally haven't spoken since he was canned. If Heupel is still in Knoxville in 2024 it'll make the OU-UTe game pretty fun.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

UGA hired the WVU DB coach Addae to coach the same spot here. Granted Kirby is like Saban where the D has his fingerprints all over it, is this a decent hire?

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I think this hire hilarious because my memory of him as a coach is in his first season at Oklahoma he went 10-3 after starting as preseason AP #1. Of course all his failures could be pointed at Katy Perry as well. It's telling that immediately after Heupel was ran off and Riley took over that Oklahoma managed to have the #1 ranked offense 3 years in a row.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

Of course all his failures could be pointed at Katy Perry as well.

Between the "call me" aimed at Knight and the LSU corndog that has to be the single greatest guest-picking in the history of Game Day.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

I think this hire hilarious because my memory of him as a coach

The Mizzou/Tennessee connection out of nowhere is making me laugh. Heupel was alright for Mizzou or at least good for Drew Lock while being bad in Heupel ways. And he would have taken the UCF job no matter what, not like he was pushed out the door. But Barry Odom wasn't particularly sad to see him go because it let him hire a guy with 'NFL experience' who would make Lock a first round draft choice and keep him for another year.

Obviously the man for this job was Derek Dooley. Who...well we don't need to mention the UT part of that.

I wish Odom would have sat out for a year so maybe Josh could hire Barry on his staff.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like contract is 6 years/4m yr. So less than what Pruitt was getting.

Buyout is 100% if fired in first 2 years, 75% if 3-4 and 50% in 5-6.

There's an extra year available to be added if we're hit with postseason bans or 8+ scholarships.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I want to know who was on the list before Heupel and turned down the job.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blue Raider posted:

I want to know who was on the list before Heupel and turned down the job.

Nothing confirmed but rumors are it was Franklin and Elliot at Clemson. If Clay Travis is to believed with Franklin it came down to money. Haven't heard why on Elliot, could be he just didn't want to deal with it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i figure franklin’s buyout would be loving enormous on top of potentially having to pay pruitt’s if things went south there

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/VolsScotchGolf/status/1354429523941584899?s=20

oh for fucks sake

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Joey Freshwater posted:

Haven't heard why on Elliot, could be he just didn't want to deal with it.

That's what I've been reading... again, unofficially

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

I love our passionate insane idiot fans.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

lmao i love it

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It gets better because this idiot is a self proclaimed "insider" on VolQuest. He knows a guy who knows a guy etc.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Has anyone made a volcel joke yet

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

History repeats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYAsxnRaTAg

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All for burning tshirts, mattresses, couches, etc but lighting your diploma on fire is another level of dumb

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If Heupel was really the third option that seems kinda crazy to me, especially if the first one was something crazy you had to know wasn't going to happen like Franklin

But also lol at diploma man

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Joey Freshwater posted:

All for burning tshirts, mattresses, couches, etc but lighting your diploma on fire is another level of dumb

Only got 4 likes out of it too.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

And I thought buying a book/movie/coffee maker then destroying it performatively was a galaxy brain act...

This is like Local Group brain.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Joey Freshwater posted:

Nothing confirmed but rumors are it was Franklin and Elliot at Clemson. If Clay Travis is to believed with Franklin it came down to money. Haven't heard why on Elliot, could be he just didn't want to deal with it.

...James Franklin?

Why on Earth would he take the UT job, fat stacks of cash or no

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Death, taxes,

https://twitter.com/mzenitz/status/1354484193934376961

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

he’s transferring to the mac my dude

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Burning a piece of paper that you can simply get reprinted and sent to you from the university for like 25 dollars isn't a particularly powerful statement.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

soggybagel posted:

Burning a piece of paper that you can simply get reprinted and sent to you from the university for like 25 dollars isn't a particularly powerful statement.

agreed, he needs to give himself a severe tbi both to forget his ut education and to show solidarity with the football players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Per John Brice of Football Scoop Napier and Fickel weren’t interested. There was some level of a deal in place with Franklin but he backed out. Elliot had said yes and backed out Monday night.

No idea of order but you’d have to guess Franklin was #1. White talked about there being two leaks in this coaching cycle, but didn’t go into details. I’m guessing Franklin was one and obviously Heupel was two last night.