Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Search Party is a comedy, about a group of self-obsessed New York millennials trying to solve a mystery with the power of social media.
Wait Wait Wait! Don't run away!
It's actually really good. The first season started a bit slow and was basically what I just described, but it really spirals away from there and delves into
dark places. At the same time, it's also a comedic farce. Often times the plot progresses due to random occurrences and lucky or unlucky breaks.
I guess this is what I like about it so much. It wildly fluctuates between a deep depiction of psychological trauma and absolute ridiculous circumstances. As the seasons progress, it just oscillates further, giving me an emotional backlash in a good way.

So what's this show about?
Honestly, I barely remember the first season, because that one was a bit bland but I'll try to summarize it a bit.
Dory (Alia Shawkat aka Maeby from Arrested Development) doesn't really feel fulfilled in live. One day, she notices a missing persons poster for an acquaintance from college and feels the irresistible need to help find her. She ropes her three friends Drew. Portia and Elliot into helping her search.
Drew is an office nerd and sort of a douche, Portia is a naive actress who can't stand the feeling that someone may not like her, and Elliot makes his living by bolstering to a completely ridiculous degree. In short, those are exactly the kind of people who would be awful at dealing with dangerous real world circumstances and make everything worse.

At the end of the first season, the series takes a hard turn as this premise blows up and the real plot starts.

Season 2:
After the gang kills a man and haphazardly bury him in the woods, they scramble to get rid of the exceedingly growing mountain of evidence.
Season 3:
The investigation catches up with Dory and Drew, but it turns into a really public trial. During all of this, Dory straight up snaps and manages to convince herself and even the court of her innocence. This grabs the attention of a man called Chip, who really bought that story and is a bit obsessed with her. Meanwhile Dory tries to come to terms with her conflicting realities.

And now that you are sort of catched up, watch season 4! So far there are 6 episodes out and they're all incredible.

Alia Shawkat plays her role incredibly well, it's a bit creepy to be honest. In general, the cast is great, if not exactly likeable.
Also, if you care for representation in media, it's the only series I can think of with an Iraqi-American main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Show rules.

I'm like 100% sure this is gonna be its final season, but, hey, watch that not be the case, and for the show to spin out into another completely insane thriller.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show is so great! The wait between seasons 2 and 3 was v frustrating so I’m really glad 4 started so soon after

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Season 4 would have to really gently caress up to not end up being maybe the best show all year

Goddamn the show within a show and Porsche playing Dory is so money

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I feel like this show is a lot like the Good Place in that you have to invest in the first season for the story, but it's a completely different show than the first season lets on. I burned through all the episodes over the last couple days and I'm digging it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Simone Magus posted:

Season 4 would have to really gently caress up to not end up being maybe the best show all year

Goddamn the show within a show and Porsche playing Dory is so money

I liked how she was irritated that Drew was played by a black dude, while completely oblivious to the fact that she's whitewashing Dory.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ann Dowd is a treasure

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

cant cook creole bream posted:

I liked how she was irritated that Drew was played by a black dude, while completely oblivious to the fact that she's whitewashing Dory.

Haha yeah.

Also "I'm gonna make her thing that she's always chewing gum"

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
it took me 3 tries to get through the first couple of episodes (I wasnt paying attention) but I'm drat sure glad I did because it is bonkers in all the right ways. I have no idea where it is headed, but there's no possible way I could have seen the path to where it is now so I'm hopeful they stick the landing, whatever it turns out to be

S4 didn't grab me at first but eps 4-6 have me fully on board the Chip and Dora crazy train

Elliot is still the best though

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

isaboo posted:

Elliot is still the best though

drat straight

Oof, phrasing...

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Woof, I’m not feeling this season at all. I’m fine with the plot moving slowly if the trade off is character growth like in the other seasons, but it’s 5 episodes in and other than Dory being broken down everything else might as well not have happened.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Woof, I’m not feeling this season at all. I’m fine with the plot moving slowly if the trade off is character growth like in the other seasons, but it’s 5 episodes in and other than Dory being broken down everything else might as well not have happened.

:( totally disagree, this season is nurts

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
Best show of 2021.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I guess it doesn’t help that I binged season 3 before starting season 4 and, IMO, season 3 had everyone’s character progress a shitload even if the trial itself was absolutely nonsensical.

Goddamn, Cassidy was so good, season 3 owned.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I guess it doesn’t help that I binged season 3 before starting season 4 and, IMO, season 3 had everyone’s character progress a shitload even if the trial itself was absolutely nonsensical.

Goddamn, Cassidy was so good, season 3 owned.

Yeah we binged the whole thing and are disappointed by S4, I think it was a letdown after hearing from everyone here it was the best yet. The whole thing is just upsetting to watch and I don't really see the point of it, it reminds me of Kim on 24 when she keeps failing to escape and all the horrible stuff happening to her.

E: Funniest moment of the whole season though was doll drew having a little toy obelisk. Did the public even know about that?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Annabel Pee posted:

E: Funniest moment of the whole season though was doll drew having a little toy obelisk. Did the public even know about that?

Yeah, my wife also pointed that out. I chalked it up to it just being in Dory's imagination but it was weird.

Season 2/3 question: what was up with the detective storyline? Nothing she did really affected the plot at all (like 99% of the gang's fuckups when covering up the crime happened before they knew about her) and then it was unceremoniously dropped in season 3 after faking out that it was going to be a big deal.

I'm just wondering if I missed something there.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah it seemed like a dropped plot that was going to lead to her having to team up with them to cover it up.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Annabel Pee posted:

Yeah we binged the whole thing and are disappointed by S4, I think it was a letdown after hearing from everyone here it was the best yet. The whole thing is just upsetting to watch and I don't really see the point of it, it reminds me of Kim on 24 when she keeps failing to escape and all the horrible stuff happening to her.

Ha! We got 'em!
We can all stop pretending to like this terrible show, now. See you next time goons.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Phew, that was driving me crazy. Close thread?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Ha! We got 'em!
We can all stop pretending to like this terrible show, now. See you next time goons.

I'm just saying i'm a bit dissapointed by the plot this season, I still love the show.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
While I do genuinely love this show, I gotta say, the idea of a honey pot thread, where most people are in on the joke amuses me. "Trust us. It gets really good in the final season. Yeah, the wait is absolutely worth it! Watch it now!"
The next time I put in the effort to make a OP will probably be that.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Just want to clarify that I absolutely enjoyed this show, especially season 3. Season 4 is still good television, just not very fun for me, unfortunately. At least as far as episode 5.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just saw this on Facebook and :psyduck:

quote:

I feel so bad for Dory, she’s been through so much horrible poo poo.
It’s heart-breaking seeing such a powerful and strong character being reduced to a confused shell.
I hope the writers bring her back to the badass she was in Season 3, a woman who stood firm and tough while everyone else was falling apart around her.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Lol, the best part about that comment is that the last two episodes make it very clear that Dory is at least partly choosing to go along with Chip's fiction because she'd rather live in his fantasy world than in the real world where she's just a loving murderer..

Whatever complains I might have about this season, Dory's breakdown has been well handled and is entirely consistent with her character.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm enjoying S4 (mostly the Dory/Chip plot) but I agree with everyone saying it's not exactly fun.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I liked Chip's actor on Difficult People but he's really doing a next level job here

One thing S4 is missing so far are the amazing guest stars, Louie Anderson was so loving good in everything ever S3

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I started watching Season 1 and had to turn off the first episode halfway through. Is this normal? I want to murder 3/4 of the main characters.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I started watching Season 1 and had to turn off the first episode halfway through. Is this normal? I want to murder 3/4 of the main characters.

That is the intended experience, yes. You're very much supposed to hate them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Just give it time and you'll work your way up to 4/4.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cole Escola was also great in At Home With Amy Sedaris which I JUST learned got cancelled :(

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Who's the 1/4? Because I can almost guarantee you, that you're wrong about that one.
Yeah those people suck and no, you aren't supposed to fall in love with their beautiful personalities.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Who's the 1/4? Because I can almost guarantee you, that you're wrong about that one.

Dory. The rest have been actively awful people so far, she just seems lost and looking for meaning in a life full of awful people.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Dory. The rest have been actively awful people so far, she just seems lost and looking for meaning in a life full of awful people.

She's very strong and misunderstood, for sure!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That's just point of view bias.
I barely remember season 1, but if the series was mostly following Drew, trying to make his ends meets on a cutthroat office. And then Dory came around and insists that they should totally invest their time looking for a random person they met in college, because it will be good for their karma and she hasn't really anything else on her plate, you'd be a bit more annoyed by her.

In that OP I was a bit tough on season 1 for a reason.

Please continue the show and tell us if your assessment changes over time.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 28, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

:allears:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

That's just point of view bias.
I barely remember season 1, but if the series was mostly following Drew, trying to make his ends meets on a cutthroat office. And then Dory came around and insists that they should totally invest their time looking for a random person they met in college, because it will be good for their karma and she hasn't really anything else on her plate, you'd be a bit more annoyed by her.

Drew's probably the best of them, even though he's basically an enormous, passive toddler.

If this show isn't ending this season, then the only ending I can see is Drew separating from Dory and going off on his own. And probably Portia trying to do the same (shame they seem to have dropped her friends from last season and given that plot to Drew).

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Drew literally (spoilers coming dude that is on season 1) tried to destroy a dude’s marriage so he could get his escape flight paid by his job instead of just putting it on his parent’s credit card, like he does everything else.

It was also a stupid move since like, did he expect the company to not fire him once the police came knocking? Why waste the time?

He also unnecessarily lied and manipulated his new girlfriend instead of just telling the truth and maybe dealing with her breaking up with him, after she trusted him with some really personal information.

He’s as lovely as the rest of them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Episode Eight.

Holy poo poo this recursive gag. The way it just escalates, reminds me so much of classic British comedy structure from the 90's. Like something The League of Gentlemen might do. The bit where they cut away to the third car killed me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Episode Ten

wtf I have no idea what I just watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I officially rescind my complaint RE: lack of guest stars

It's truly insane how good Sarandon looks