Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Galewolf posted:

I haven't watched Razor, was that the Cylon War prequel? No, that was Blood and Chrome, right? I should watch Razor, I haven't heard anything negative about it (which is as good as glowing praise nowadays).

Blood and Chrome is the miniseries pilot that was meant for a Cylon War prequel that never got greenlit. It's alright but nothing special outside of some bizarrely specific Deep Space Nine references.

Razor is the made for TV movie that came out during the break between Season 3 and 4 and its the one where Adama moves his flag to the Pegasus for an operation against an old rear end Cylon War era Basestar that went rogue and kept harvesting humans for reasons. It has the usual made for TV movie problem of introducing a brand new character who only exists in the movie and has no impact on the rest of the story whatsoever. Again, it's fine but I wouldn't consider it required viewing unless you really want to see the old school cylons in combat.

The Homeworld reference comes from the fact that the Basestar's hybrid is played by Campbell Lane, the guy who voiced the Bentusi in Homeworld, a spacefaring society that were integrated with their spaceships just like the Hybrids. Homeworld has some pretty obvious inspiration from the original BSG TV show, so it's more than a coincidence they made a such a blatant reference to the Bentusi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
^^^^^^^Edit: Ohh, that sounds interesting and my kinda jam. Will definitely give it a go, thanks posting buddy!

I think HIMYM missed a wonderful opportunity to tie up things with Victoria (the baker lady). During that time Victoria was pretty much the fan-favorite and it seemed like it was going somewhere. I might be biased because I was :swoon: with the actress back then and that was a heartwarming storyline if anyone remembers.

Re: Jason Segel

Isn't he in the Seth Rogen / SNL / Judd Apatow mafia? I think the movie "Knocked Up" cast is the epitome of that vaguely connected gang because holy poo poo that movie has a lot of people got famous later on / had more opportunities. I think that was Ken Jeong's "breakout" movie as well despite being on it for like 2 minutes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Randarkman posted:

It's been a while now, but I remember thinking the first season of Dexter was pretty rewatchable, it's just like a well-put together crime show starring a weirdo serial killer, and it has an intro sequence you don't mind sitting through every time.

e: someone already mentioend Dexter.

It's kinda funny that Dexter's role as a blood spatter analysis was such an important part of the show and just a couple years ago it was quietly announced that blood spatter analysis is completely made up.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, and he bangs some old (well middle-aged) hippie lady IIRC. I can't say I remember much from that episode, but I actually think Malcolm in the Middle was a pretty decent show all things considered. Bryan Cranston is great in it.

There was definitely a period in the mid-to-late-00s where lots of TV shows were going to Burning Man. Malcolm in the Middle definitely did it best. (Though during many drives out to Burning Man my friends and I have inevitably broken into a chorus of the "Go-ing to Buuuurn-ing Man. Buuuurn-ing Man, Buuuurn-ing Man" song from Lucy: Daughter of the Devil.)

Randarkman posted:

Wasn't it also the first mainstream sitcom to abandon the whole laugh track routine?

I don't know if it was the first for all sitcoms, but it was definitely the first family sitcom to do it. It was also the first family sitcom with a working-class family to put them in a one-story house. Because of the type of sets that were needed for the old three-camera sitcom shooting style, even the mega-poor Bundys had a two-story house (with a basement!)

EDIT:

Galewolf posted:

Isn't he in the Seth Rogen / SNL / Judd Apatow mafia? I think the movie "Knocked Up" cast is the epitome of that vaguely connected gang because holy poo poo that movie has a lot of people got famous later on / had more opportunities. I think that was Ken Jeong's "breakout" movie as well despite being on it for like 2 minutes.

Yeah, he's one of the original Apatow mafia. It pretty much all ties back to Freaks & Geeks (and if you look at that cast list, basically everybody there managed to hit big). I do kinda wonder about what that crew knew about Franco and his skeevy-ness before all the allegations finally came out.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 27, 2021

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

The early seasons of Futurama still manage to hold onto the heart that the Simpsons lost as it went on. Even the later futurama seasons that aren't as good as that season 3-4 peak remember that. It is always ready to gut punch you.

I think the idea was they don't hold up as well as you might think, not that they're a festering garbage fart

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I didn’t know much about Segel but his “dispatches from elsewhere” show was weird and fun.

ElbowRooming
Jan 27, 2021
Toapapper2020
I don't know if this has been posted yet but...https://mobile.twitter.com/SimianJimmy/status/1353860648392916999

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Galewolf posted:

Have you seen Freaks and Geeks?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That's such a stupid idea.

Obviously, everyone on the show should be trans

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
change the story so Harry ends up with the Chinese girl Ching Chang instead of Ron's sister, or whatever borderline racist name she had

if they don't give rowling an aneurysm then what's the point of making it?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

What's so racist about being called Ron's sister?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Randarkman posted:

What's so racist about being called Ron's sister?

listen here you little poo poo

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
gingers

*shudder*

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6LwAIS6etk

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Frau Blücher's name is scaring horses in heaven now. :rip:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Blücher!

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

RIP Zorya Vechernyaya

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1352680744498286592

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

pacerhimself posted:

Not an American here so never watched it when it was airing but apparently, it was the proto Apatow mafia, no?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

pacerhimself posted:

I caught a few episodes now and then. Pretty good as far as Paul Feig's work goes.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Galewolf posted:

Not an American here so never watched it when it was airing but apparently, it was the proto Apatow mafia, no?

Yeah, somebody covered it much better before me but I replied too soon before scrolling down. It's a bunch of the same actors that always appear together in Apatow movies, and also 'Undeclared' is a bit in the same boat.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Last Christmas in London Paul Feig was hawking his godawful Christmas RomCom with the terrible Dragon Lady from Gaem of Throbs and I missed a chance to yell YOU HACK from a balcony.in hearing distance :argh:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Paul Feig/Eyebrows lady/RomCom is a deadly combination.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think Freaks and Geeks was the first time a show I was watching got cancelled.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Galewolf posted:

Last Christmas in London Paul Feig was hawking his godawful Christmas RomCom with the terrible Dragon Lady from Gaem of Throbs and I missed a chance to yell YOU HACK from a balcony.in hearing distance :argh:

Lol the movie that takes the lyrics to Last Christmas literally where she's in love with the ghost of her heart donor.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Randarkman posted:

Wasn't it also the first mainstream sitcom to abandon the whole laugh track routine?

Later series of M*A*S*H didn't have a laugh track due to it becoming more of a black comedy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
M.A.S.H intentionally dropped the laugh tracks during scenes in the operating rooms but I think they kept the laugh tracks everywhere else right up to the end.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 28, 2021

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

M.A.S.H intentionally dropped the laugh tracks during scenes in the operating rooms but I think they kept the laugh tracks everywhere else right uo to the end.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Whorelord posted:

Later series of M*A*S*H didn't have a laugh track due to it becoming more of a black comedy.

Actually they never wanted a laugh track, it was forced on them by the network and it was present throughout all the seasons. They did switch to a more subdued audience when the show became more of a drama and the last season mostly omitted it.

That's all confusing enough but it's made even more confusing by the fact that the entire show is available without the laugh track.

I think no laugh track is the way to watch it, the creators absolutely hated the fake laughing.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I could've sworn I remember watching it without any canned laughter, apparently it was always broadcast in the UK without it, guess I thought that was universal.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Whorelord posted:

I could've sworn I remember watching it without any canned laughter, apparently it was always broadcast in the UK without it, guess I thought that was universal.

They accidentally broadcast it with the laughter in the UK once and they got so many complaints they had to issue an apology.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Does any other country use laugh track in their TV shows? Who came up with this poo poo?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gotta be the Brits

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
brits definitely have it: Blackadder series 1 is absolutely ruined by the laugh track, where the canned laughter happens after all the unfunny jokes (most of them), and not after any of the actually good jokes

it grinds my gears

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Majority of the Bri-ish comedies are so bad that it's back to back laugh track sometimes.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The peak of British comedy:

https://youtu.be/Xaq4nN2QwEI

This one doesn't have a laugh track so you know it's top notch.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
You've identified that the majority of comedies, including British ones, are terrible yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dark Place is the funniest show ever made.