Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Oh my god oh my god oh my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

I wish this toaster came in extra long slots because our current, modern toaster we have is OK, but the requirement for the super-long slots was for naan. You know how rad it is to toss some naan in a toaster? It's rad as hell.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007

Renegret posted:

non-costco related question

I have a convection setting on my oven but it caps out at 350 degrees. Is that, uh, normal? Or did the manufacturer halfass it to just check some options off a list so they can increase the price.

I never use it. I'm honestly not sure what to use the convection setting for, and since this is the first oven I've owned with one I've been fine just ignoring it.

Some manufacturers automatically adjust the temperature down in convection mode ostensibly to allow for following recipes which assume a conventional oven (almost all of them) and avoid overcooking or burning the dish.

For example, set the oven to 425, turn on convection and the oven temperature only goes to 375 but the total heat transfer is equivalent to 425 in radiant mode.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Or if you live somewhere with fan forced ovens in pretty much every house then every product or recipe gives two temperatures to cook at.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Koryk posted:

Some manufacturers automatically adjust the temperature down in convection mode ostensibly to allow for following recipes which assume a conventional oven (almost all of them) and avoid overcooking or burning the dish.

For example, set the oven to 425, turn on convection and the oven temperature only goes to 375 but the total heat transfer is equivalent to 425 in radiant mode.

It does 350 no matter what I put it at above 350 though. 375 will come up as 350, 500 also comes up as 350.

Still cool to know.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

norp posted:

Or if you live somewhere with fan forced ovens in pretty much every house then every product or recipe gives two temperatures to cook at.

what planet be this?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Australia - even a lovely $300 built in oven will be fan forced. So as long as a kitchen has been remodelled since like 1985 it'll have a fan in it.

It hasn't stopped the whole air fryer craze though.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

norp posted:

Australia - even a lovely $300 built in oven will be fan forced. So as long as a kitchen has been remodelled since like 1985 it'll have a fan in it.

I don't think you can buy electric or gas ovens that don't have convection settings in Europe.

My wife owned an ancient rusted oven that did convection and was probably sold in 1975

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

norp posted:

oh but that makes perfect sense, see. You need the fan to blow the scorpions out.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Convection ovens here are very much not standard and you pay extra for it. I just got one last month and I feel like I'm from the future now. In fact when I went oven shopping in November it was the first time I ever saw home user convection ovens.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
the fuckin big bag of chicharonnes they have now rules

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

These videos are great. I love that guy.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Convection ovens here are very much not standard and you pay extra for it. I just got one last month and I feel like I'm from the future now. In fact when I went oven shopping in November it was the first time I ever saw home user convection ovens.

I paid 500 for one in our old flat I practically gave the landlord for free upon moving out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

the cuisinart air fryer/toaster oven I got from Costco makes the best toast I've ever seen

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Convection ovens are so uncommon here even people who think they have them are often wrong, they just have a normal oven that also has a fan, which is still a step up but not true convective cooking. True convection, sometimes referred to as "european convection" but really should just be called "actual convection" has the heat come in with the fan, and the oven itself doesn't use any elements for cooking outside broiling. This actually makes for a pretty drastic difference in how foods cook so it's worth looking for if you're shopping.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The one I have is more than 15 years old at this point, but its still the best way to cook a lot of meats. Chicken legs, ribs (country style or otherwise), thicc pork chops. Its good at keeping the meats juicy.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I got the new mailer which starts on 2/3 and they're having $5 off the Robert Irvine Fit Crunch bars. :getin:

It only has 3g of sugar. I'm not sure how they pull that off.

I love em and they're a staple in my house but man I wish they sold them as a variety pack. They're so much more expensive off of amazon.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The bibigo dumplings are also on sale this month.

I offered one to my wife to try a year ago and she declined, but I kept buying them from time to time because I liked them. Then randomly one day, she commented at how good they smelled and asked for a bite. So I let her have one, and she gave a non-committal "yeah that's pretty okay I guess". They were gone by the end of that week. So, time to stock up, they make good work lunches on days we don't cook.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The packaging of the FitCrunch bars makes me feel like I'm ordering a Tony Little Gazelle. Real as seen on TV vibes.

They're good tho.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

ArbitraryC posted:

True convection, sometimes referred to as "european convection"

Given Australian appliances tend to be European models (since we have 240v single phase power) you might have hit the nail on why our ovens all have it.

I've never seen an oven that uses top/bottom elements when the fan is on. in fact my current oven doesn't even have an exposed bottom element, I'm not sure the "bottom radiant heat" setting does what it says but I literally never use that one....

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone else still seeing those Jimmy Dean turkey sausage egg muffin sandwiches? Those have become a breakfast staple, but I haven't seen them the last few times I've gone.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/the-best-toaster-oven/

Here is a nice article about toaster ovens. I bought the Breville a few years back (I think it was top dog on this list when I did so) and am so extremely happy with it. I use it constantly and the only time I use my big oven is when something won't fit in it. Heats up incredibly fast, even cooking, great temp control, all things that my big oven completely lacks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Barry posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/the-best-toaster-oven/

Here is a nice article about toaster ovens. I bought the Breville a few years back (I think it was top dog on this list when I did so) and am so extremely happy with it. I use it constantly and the only time I use my big oven is when something won't fit in it. Heats up incredibly fast, even cooking, great temp control, all things that my big oven completely lacks.

Podcaster/PC John Hodgman’s favorite appliance

Breville also makes the only credible Technivorm competitor, but it goes in the opposite direction by being super techy and customizable. Like apparently it has a setting that lets you use a Hario V60, etc on it in place of a basket

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 29, 2021

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
I really really really miss the spinach and mozzarella stuffed raviolis :(

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

norp posted:

Given Australian appliances tend to be European models (since we have 240v single phase power) you might have hit the nail on why our ovens all have it.

American electric ovens/ranges all have giant 240v 50amp plugs as well.

American houses have a few high amperage 240v plugs strategically placed for ovens, dryers, and electric hot water heaters.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Enos Cabell posted:

Anyone else still seeing those Jimmy Dean turkey sausage egg muffin sandwiches? Those have become a breakfast staple, but I haven't seen them the last few times I've gone.

Still see them and always plenty of stock. Just bought them 2 weeks ago

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

MrQueasy posted:

I'm tempted by the Cuisinart convection toaster oven they have for $200 at mine, is it worth the counter space? The Item in Question

Fallom posted:

the cuisinart air fryer/toaster oven I got from Costco makes the best toast I've ever seen

Wife wanted an air fryer and I didn’t want another appliance in the counter so I gave her a choice of combo units. Replace the Instapot with a combo pressure cooker air fryer, or replace the toaster oven with a air fryer toaster oven combo like the above. (Conveniently both sold at church)

She likes her Instapot so I bought that Toaster Oven on Sunday and it’s fantastic. The air fryer feature works great. I was able to blast my tots and tendies to crispy deliciousness in 10 minutes from frozen. Instead of 18-20.

Yeah my air fryer is nothing like my convection toaster over. The fan in the toaster oven is just to circulate the air to keep it consistent to cook the food evenly. The air fryer is more like a turbine blasting air around the food. I do like it though. It fits a frozen pizza perfectly.
I replaced my cuisinart convection toaster oven with a this air fryer toaster oven and they’re entirely different.

The convection toaster just had like a small computer fan built into the side wall where the controls were. The air fryer toaster has a giant rear end turbine ontop situated directly above the coils.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 29, 2021

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I recently learned that Costco has a Mortgage service. Has anyone used it?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I did and the companies they connected me with had lower rates and costs than any my realtor recommended. So much so that the other companies wouldn't even negotiate it and just told me to go with the Costco options.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I miss the Jimmy Dean Breakfast bowls. They're out at my Costco currently.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Coredump posted:

I miss the Jimmy Dean Breakfast bowls. They're out at my Costco currently.

Keep an eye out. Those breakfast bowls have come and gone a few times over the past couple of years. They might come back again. It’s amazing how much cheaper they are in bulk at Costco compared to the local grocery store.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Renegret posted:

Still see them and always plenty of stock. Just bought them 2 weeks ago

Thanks, hopefully we get a restock soon because I'm almost out.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I went to church today and saw the infamous brownie tray that’s going viral. I managed to keep on walking past it...

:negative:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The what now?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.delish.com/food-news/a35266294/costco-3-pound-fudge-brownie/

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Oh my sweet Lord

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A couple weeks ago I bought a dining room table from Costco and it came with a $100 Costco Cash Card by mail. After that promo was done they put it on sale for $200 off without the cash card. I chatted up a rep and expected to get the $100 difference but he gave me the full $200 off the purchase price and today the $100 Costco Cash Card showed up regardless.

PBUC

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Oh goddamn. I've had a serious yen for brownies lately, and we have to go to Costco soon.

...I'm gonna be getting fat as Hell.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 29, 2021

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

Oh goddamn. I've had a serious hen for brownies lately, and we have to go to Costco soon.

...I'm gonna be getting fat as Hell.

Costco: I’m gonna be getting fat as Hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Oh. Oh my.