Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone here actually watch Bridgerton? It seems to be the latest show my dad isn’t going to stop badgering me about until I actually watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Did anyone here actually watch Bridgerton? It seems to be the latest show my dad isn’t going to stop badgering me about until I actually watch it

Yep!

It's bad!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's a trashy soap opera but with some nice costumes. It's fine for what it is.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

just watched the first season of the leftovers.

why did reviewers think this was bad? i thought this was a fantastic opening. yes, the first half nudges along, but it needed that. really great opening on the whole, i thought.

and then it gets better? can't wait to keep going.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

swickles posted:

Dr. Pimple Popper was the 2nd most watched showing during the Super Bowl last year which is kind of funny.

It's a show that sucks you in once one gets over the grossness of the stuff shown, especially the doctor cutting into the patient and grabbing at the growth, etc.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKQ8HnkEu9o

Remember when TV shows had trailers like this? And then it turned out that half the episodes were actually about a marriage where one wife was spending too much on her shopping? And there were no dragons, or sharks being punched in the nose?

Those days were wild, man.

OH MY GOD Margene wants her husband to buy her a car! Will he? THE loving STAKES, MAN.

Modern HBO would have had Bill meet the living reincarnation of Joseph Smith by now. And now is episode four.

abelwingnut posted:

why did reviewers think this was bad? i thought this was a fantastic opening. yes, the first half nudges along, but it needed that. really great opening on the whole, i thought.

You could be one of that rare breed of posters that actually really likes the first season, and reckons the rest of the show, past about midseason two, is a bit of a downstep.

It is unfortunately now your solemn duty to fight in the Leftovers Blood Wars, until your enemy, the people who prefer Seasons Two and Three, are dead.

:(

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cael posted:

just wondering if it’s like a “get through the first 4 eps of Expanse before quitting” situation.

I'm sorry, what??

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Open Source Idiom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKQ8HnkEu9o

You could be one of that rare breed of posters that actually really likes the first season, and reckons the rest of the show, past about midseason two, is a bit of a downstep.

It is unfortunately now your solemn duty to fight in the Leftovers Blood Wars, until your enemy, the people who prefer Seasons Two and Three, are dead.

:(

well, i guess, tell me what was bad about it? i'm not great at watching things and constantly miss things. what am i missing?

i could also think s2 and s3 are even better than s1!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like the last big show I heard buzz about was about a girl playing chess. I don't really thing grounded tv dramas are gone. Seems more like a self selection thing.

Although certainly there's MORE fantasy around right now. Probably at least in part because its more doable on TV now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Klowner posted:

I'm sorry, what??

I've heard a lot of people say the first 3 episodes of The Expanse aren't that great and I agree. I almost gave up on it but episode 4 got me hooked.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

abelwingnut posted:

Oh man, go find the thread for the first season, so many people on here hated it. I’m another one that loves the first season, though all three are great in their own ways.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

abelwingnut posted:

well, i guess, tell me what was bad about it? i'm not great at watching things and constantly miss things. what am i missing?

I originally found Leftovers season 1 to be extremely overly dour and irritatingly self-important, but went on to love seasons 2 and 3. These days, I feel a lot more favourably towards 1, but I still think it has some really weak moments, including episode 4 and the opening to episode 6 (although the rest of that episode is real good).

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm hoping this means that whatever curmudgeon over at the studio is gone and B5 might get some more love, again. Someone posted it upthread, but the original CGI is all still around, waiting to be upgraded/remastered.

The bad exec is known and is still there, I think this is just WB being desperate for content.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

abelwingnut posted:

It was the overbearing intro and the annoying side characters.

Seriously though I can't remember why I disliked parts of season 1 but I distinctly remember watching season 2 and thinking Damon lindelof must have been listening to feedback because he made some huge changes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

HBO Max has hit their 2023 paid subscriber target.

https://www.engadget.com/hbo-max-didnt-expect-to-have-this-many-subscribers-for-another-two-years-182503219.html

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
loving over the cinema industry will do that for you I guess

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

gotcha re: s1 of the leftovers.

i can see how it becomes overly depressing, but...it feels highly accurate to what would occur in that situation. i don't know, that really felt like one of the stronger elements.

i can also the hate for some side characters. i'm not really sure what's going on with david, the prophet dude. that whole situation feels really wrong and plays to stereotypes way too much.

onward to s2.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

abelwingnut posted:

Yeah I have no clue, I loved every season including the first and each season is so different to each other that I don't care about ranking them. Each piece of that puzzle is important

That said season 2 made me cry a lot

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Escobarbarian posted:

loving over the cinema industry will do that for you I guess

I think the pandemic is more to blame for that...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
AMC was in a bad spot before covid, it just hastened their imminent demise.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
pouring one out for all the cinemas who won't make it through the pandemic (just kidding, I paid 12 dollars for that bottle of water, I'm not wasting any of it)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32sA_i1kzCc
This looks like it could be interesting. Kind of like an unofficial adaptation of Roadside Picnic, except its all of America/the world.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this! posted:

This looks like it could be interesting. Kind of like an unofficial adaptation of Roadside Picnic, except its all of America/the world.

This is by the guy that created Almost Human and it stars Jonathan Tucker. So it'll be really good and last maybe 10 episodes.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

muscles like this! posted:

The video isn’t available here, what is it called?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I watch the trailer "oh cool, a new scifi show" glance down "FUUUUUUCK it's on network tv."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Independent Spirit Awards TV noms:

quote:

Best new scripted series
I May Destroy You
Little America
Small Axe
A Teacher
Unorthodox

Best female performance in a new scripted series
Elle Fanning - The Great
Shira Haas - Unorthodox
Abby McEnany - Work in Progress
Maitreyi Ramakrishnan - Never Have I Ever
Jordan Kristine Seamón - We Are Who We Are

Best male performance in a new scripted series
Adam Ali - Little America
Nicco Annan - P-Valley
Conphidance - Little America
Amit Rahav - Unorthodox
Harold Torres - ZeroZeroZero

Best ensemble cast in a new scripted series
Winner: I May Destroy You

Loving the noms for I May Destroy You. It’s still crazy to me that I was the literal actual only person to vote for it in the TVIV poll when it was by far the most acclaimed show of 2020.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oasx posted:

The video isn’t available here, what is it called?

Debris, it starts on nbc March first.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what the gently caress is I May Destroy You

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Escobarbarian posted:

Independent Spirit Awards TV noms:

Loving the noms for I May Destroy You. It’s still crazy to me that I was the literal actual only person to vote for it in the TVIV poll when it was by far the most acclaimed show of 2020.

I've seen literally none of those.

The Klowner posted:

I think it's a British tv drama or something like that. Didn't seem appealing to me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The Klowner posted:

Michaela Cole's new show and an HBO production. It's pretty good, but goes tough places.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

I've seen literally none of those.

Ok let’s go!

I May Destroy You - BBC/HBO half-hour drama about a young writer who has her drink spiked and is raped. Follows the aftermath of this and her friend group in general, with various themes around consent, social media, and various other parts of modern life. It is extremely smart and powerful and also very funny at times.

Little America - Apple anthology series where each episode tells a different immigrant’s story, inspired by a magazine’s article series. Really lovely stuff.

Small Axe - BBC production of five movies directed by Steve McQueen (Hunger, 12 Years a Slave, Widows) about the Afro-Caribbean community in London between the 60s and 80s. Extremely good poo poo, probably shouldn’t be considered TV but that’s how Amazon have labelled it in the US release so there you go.

A Teacher - Hulu show where Kate Mara is a young teacher who fucks a student. Didn’t watch this one but it seemed to be generally well-reviewed, if considered a little slow.

Unorthodox - Netflix miniseries in Yiddish. I don’t know much about this one but it seems to be about a young Jewish woman in an arranged marriage who runs away. Looks like it was super acclaimed, drat I should watch this probably

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

The Klowner posted:

A very dope show op

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

None of those have middle age white male anti hero protagonists and makes me uncomfortable

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

A Teacher - Hulu show where Kate Mara is a young teacher who fucks a student. Didn’t watch this one but it seemed to be generally well-reviewed, if considered a little slow.

Reviews seem to make it out like it handles that dynamic as hosed up as it really is from the student's perspective. Since Mary Kay Leternou it's always been "lol lucky dude" but the reality is they are victims of an abuser in a power dynamic and it fucks them up massively wrt their understanding of healthy sexual relationships.

Obviously now social media notoriety makes the guy a figure of renown with other guys but it's the equivalent of every time you meet a rape victim you go "oh yeah, you got raped a bunch of times, how was it?"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Anyone else watching Resident Alien on SyFy? Its just the pilot, and a lot darker than I thought it would be, but in a good way!

Only one person knows who I am. Its dark outside so I can just break in and kill it [a child]. Man, whiskey is great for helping me make rational and well thought out decisions!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

swickles posted:

Anyone else watching Resident Alien on SyFy? Its just the pilot, and a lot darker than I thought it would be, but in a good way!

Only one person knows who I am. Its dark outside so I can just break in and kill it [a child]. Man, whiskey is great for helping me make rational and well thought out decisions!

I watched it, and while Tudyk is doing a good job (and I do like the darker element to it), every other character around him is basically Supporting Genre Show Cast 101. I might pick it back up later if I hear good things, but I think I'm out for now.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

ShakeZula posted:

I watched it, and while Tudyk is doing a good job (and I do like the darker element to it), every other character around him is basically Supporting Genre Show Cast 101.

-This is the part where you ask about my childhood
-Well I really don't care :shrug:

I mean I'll keep watching if there are more scenes like that. The more they lean into generic "This small town has a BIG SECRET" murder mystery plot the better the alien character shines through

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wow season 4 of Search Party sucks.

EDIT: To clarify, I think I might just be allergic to drawn out kidnapping and abuse plots with no end in sight.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 28, 2021

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

DarklyDreaming posted:

-This is the part where you ask about my childhood
-Well I really don't care :shrug:

I mean I'll keep watching if there are more scenes like that. The more they lean into generic "This small town has a BIG SECRET" murder mystery plot the better the alien character shines through

I think I would've liked that stuff more if every character he interacted with hadn't just brushed it off and proceeded to interact with him as if he wasn't being a massive rear end in a top hat. Like, immediately after that exchange, she just laughs it off and then tells him her whole backstory anyway.

I am kind of curious how they'll proceed with some of the darker character bits. Obviously he's going to have a change of heart at some point and decide not to end all life on Earth, but there really isn't any way around the fact that he straight-up murdered the real doctor and doesn't really seem to give a poo poo, and has real designs on killing that kid. I do feel pretty confident that the teen girl who helps out at the doctor's office is going to turn out to be the nurse's daughter though.

I don't know, maybe I'll give it another ep or two. Pilots are tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

abelwingnut posted:

I think Season 1 suffered massively from the weekly release schedule (funnily enough, I think the next two benefited greatly from it).

It was depressing as hell, pretty slow moving and the show lacked a lot of forward momentum (thematically, everyone is just "stuck" and have no ability to move on). That, coupled with the wierd Holy Wayne stuff (that still doesn't work on rewatch) and the lack of clarity around what the gently caress the Guilty Remnant were doing made it a bit of week to week slog. Hell, they were still introducing main characters 6 or 7 episodes into the season. That's tough going when you're watching week to week and you're yet to fall in love with the characters.

People also had some Lindeloff reservations about whether he could pull this off and if it was going to be worth the time investment.

In hindsight, I love season 1 and have enjoyed it throughly on 3 additional occasions in binge form bit I remember being one of the crowd that had reservations when watching it at the time.