Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

2001 is awesome but I wouldnt have loved it as much if I didn't see it on the giant IMAX screen.

Its so immersive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

wyoming posted:

That sure was something.

This owns.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

teagone posted:

This owns.

I dunno, I don’t think illiteracy and proud ignorance is good

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Gatts posted:

Oh, no, Teagone is absolutely correct. It owns. It's just that it self-owns.

Personally it makes want to strap the guy into a chair and make him watch it start to finish.

Maybe bring in a Jigsaw puppet right as the ape scenes to tell him,

"Those right there were the only action scenes in this movie."

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

It's perfectly in line with their delusions that WS was a spy thriller and that Black panther was inspired by the godfather or other such nonsense.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

2001 is awesome but I wouldnt have loved it as much if I didn't see it on the giant IMAX screen.

Its so immersive.

I first watched 2001 when I must've been like 15 or 16 in my pitch black basement at like 1am on a school night on an old CRT TV and it still blew me away. The stargate sequence followed by the room with the old man freaked me the gently caress out and I needed to switch to MTV or something for a second lol

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gatts posted:

It 100% owns as an indictment of capeshit fandoms.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

wyoming posted:

That sure was something.

self-own aside, Attack on Eternal looks kinda good.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

wyoming posted:

That sure was something.

The OP was indeed dumb as poo poo, but I feel like the "No why" was a joke.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
https://io9.gizmodo.com/netflixs-sandman-adaptation-has-found-its-dream-devil-1846150244

Not hating this Sandman casting.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

McCloud posted:

It's perfectly in line with their delusions that WS was a spy thriller and that Black panther was inspired by the godfather or other such nonsense.

To be somewhat fair even with people in superhero costumes, Winter Solider managed to be less silly than the Pierce Brosnan Bond films.

Also Black Panther was the story of a son coming to terms with the darker aspects of his father's legacy, so if you squint and do other things likely to give severe eyestrain, I can see how one might consider The Godfather.

But yeah, otherwise those comparisons are overblown bullshit put forth by a bunch of overblown bullshitters.

I'd have loved them to have just borrowed Tom Ellis for Lucifer and made his stuff in Sandman a prequel to the Lucifer show - which is exactly how it played out in terms of the comics. That said, I'm not disappointed to see Gwendoline Christie getting a meatier role than loving Phasma.

Oh, and in other news, "Elizabeth Olsen's" attempted con of me continues and we're getting to the meat of things.
The last few exchanges follow:

quote:

Her: Well you could be the one in charge of my charity money my secretary

Me: Well, as somebody who did poorly in his only college Accounting course well over 30 years ago, I'd be kind of completely unqualified to do that.

Her: You can if you really do want this offer
Her: All you need is to keep money and send it out too the less privileged

Me: What would I actually need to do? I already have a full-time job, so I don't know that I'd have the time to give the work the attention that it would. And it'll be awhile before I reply to your next message because I have to leave for that job in about 10 minute. Early morning shifts doth suck.

Her: Yes this doesnt affect your job and would only contact you whenever I need you to send money too an organization and you get paid for your services

Me: That seems reasonable. And if it's something to people in need that I can do from, I'd be a horrible selfish poo poo to not at least try. How exactly would we start?

Her: I would need some of your personal information to be my lawyer so we go and agreement for your safety and mine

Me: I can see that. You do have a charity to protect, after all. What sort of personal information? I've been told by my younger co-workers that it can be risky to send that sort of thing over the internets.

Her: Yes I know that but you have too trust me because am not here too hurt you from your good will.

Me: Tell me what information you need. I'll to talk to some other people. I kind of have "managers" too.

The last two bits were from just now.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Best super hero movie coming through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK5yejcKCis

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

The OP was indeed dumb as poo poo, but I feel like the "No why" was a joke.

I checked that person's twitter feed out of the morbid curiosity that drives pretty much all my time on twitter, and they literally post nothing but stuff about comic book movies. Like, they have no opinions on anything that isn't comic book movie news.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Everyone posted:

The last two bits were from just now.

Lol this is a dedicated con attempt

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I pray this con artist meets that guy who makes stand up shows talking about trolling online scammers.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol this is a dedicated con attempt

And the fun continues to continue:

quote:

Her: You involving third party is going against my rules

Me: Understood but you really can't say "No" to these people.

Her: Yes I cant because helping them means the world to me
Her: Believe me on this john

Me: I can't get into specifics but their my dad's friends from work. Just tell me what info you need.

Her: Drivers license

Me: They won't let me send something that shows a physical address. At least not until they finish their tracing this Twitter account info and running their background check. "Wit-Sec" is really strict sometimes.

Her: Why informing third party
Her: This should be between us

Me: It's their job to check everything so they do. Besides, a Driver's License from me wouldn't help. Remember my job. I check dozens of Driver's Licenses a day (along with their credit card info). I mean, it's not like that pic on my Twitter profile is actually me. They're not going to let me put my real face up on Twitter.

Her: Send me your Text number

Me: I don't have a text number. Or at least I don't know what my text number issue. I don't actually own a cell phone. Too risky. There's a reason the Agency guys call them "tracking devices" that can make phone calls. I have an e-mail address. Will that work?

I do love that "she" hasn't quite grokked the idea that her hypothetical mark has U.S. Marshals looking after him.

Really this wouldn't be happening if so many of my online RPGs hadn't slowed to a pace that makes glaciers impatient. But I'm really loving bored, and this kind of passes for an RPG.

I do wish I could actually pass this stuff along to the real Elizabeth Olsen - or better yet to Mary-Kate and Ashley, since they'd be her "big sisters." However I don't know how to find whatever private continent Mary-Kate and Ashley bought with all that Olsen Twin movie money they made in the 90s.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 29, 2021

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Seconding that since Netflix has Lucifer, why the hell, heh, is Tom Ellis not Lucifer? I know the show is wildly different from the comic in Lucifers case but its still obvious casting that would be funny.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think Gaiman himself is involved with the casting and writing of Sandman.

Can't wait to see who's Death.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Darko posted:

Seconding that since Netflix has Lucifer, why the hell, heh, is Tom Ellis not Lucifer? I know the show is wildly different from the comic in Lucifers case but its still obvious casting that would be funny.

I think that would set up an expectation for him to play it like he does on Lucifer, and I don't think the weird catty thing he does on that show is a good fit for what the character is doing in Sandman.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Darko posted:

i only watched most of the first episode and clips here and there but I don't know what his smug-errific portrayal of Lucifer has to do with the comic book portrayal of a dude who's usually just morose and closed off.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Shageletic posted:

i only watched most of the first episode and clips here and there but I don't know what his smug-errific portrayal of Lucifer has to do with the comic book portrayal of a dude who's usually just morose and closed off.

I was somewhat non serious, just because Ellis has so much charisma, I'd like to see him act more, but he has played that at times when the show rarely decides to get serious and mythological. It's suuuuuuuuuuper removed from the comic though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shageletic posted:

Samael in The Sandman is androgyne and there's several panels where he actually looks a lot like Gwendolyn Christie. Tom Ellis in the role could not be less like the character if he actively tried.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
And con over from my perspective. My last post:

quote:

And we're done. This was fun for a bit. I was going to spin out a whole story of how "John" was in Witness Protection because his dad used to kill people for the CIA, but I'm tired now. You're not Elizabeth Olsen. You're some kind of con artist. A legitimate charity would not need to go through this silly crap to get my bank account info. An actual Hollywood star would not be following 20 times the number of people who follow her. And speaking of lovely things and people, you are a lovely person doing a lovely thing. I am a stranger to Elzaibeth Olsen, but outside observation shows that she does a lot of real charity and cares a lot about real disadvantaged people. You have mimicked her identity to con people into giving you access to their information and bank account to steal money. That is a deeply lovely thing to do. I will report you to Twitter. And the FBI. I doubt either of them will do anything. I'll also report you to the Disney corporation. They have worldwide influence. And they absolutely loath anything that dilutes their brand. Which this does. If I could figure out how, I'd report you to Elizabeth Olsen herself, I would. And most likely I will. That bit about how terrifying it is to be the subject of a celebrity's attention? That was real. I hope you "enjoy" it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The X-Men movie world is kind of grim. Just a few decades after WW2, the United States funds the creation of robots that's only purpose is to genocide mutants.
The original timeline is especially grim when considering this. https://xmenmovies.fandom.com/wiki/25_Moments

Even in the good timeline created by DOFP, the US government basically forces Xavier to use the X-Men as special ops team or risk them doing nothing about anti mutant sentiment. After saving a crew of astronauts and seeing an alien force invade one of the X-Men, they almost immediately turn on mutants despite any help they've given them over the years. They were clearly planning to do something to mutants at some point based on the anti mutant weaponry they had days after the Phoenix event in Jean's old neighborhood. In general, unless a human is a known friend to the X-Men almost every human is a bigot to mutants immediately upon learning they are near one. The main exception to this is the start of Dark Phoenix when the X-Men go to save the astronauts. Even when facing an unstoppable alien force, humans don't try to work with the X-Men until the train is overwhelmed and basically one solider is left. About a week prior, that solider's son's hero was one of the X-Men. Despite this, he hates them and doesn't consider freeing them to fight the aliens until after his entire unit is basically killed.

In Logan, mutants are experimented on well into this decade and there has been a plot to remove them from the genepool by putting chemicals in the food supply.
In Days of Future Past, the genocide robots have been extremely effective at their goals.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Spacebump posted:

The X-Men movie world is kind of grim. Just a few decades after WW2, the United States funds the creation of robots that's only purpose is to genocide mutants.
The original timeline is especially grim when considering this. https://xmenmovies.fandom.com/wiki/25_Moments

Even in the good timeline created by DOFP, the US government basically forces Xavier to use the X-Men as special ops team or risk them doing nothing about anti mutant sentiment. After saving a crew of astronauts and seeing an alien force invade one of the X-Men, they almost immediately turn on mutants despite any help they've given them over the years. They were clearly planning to do something to mutants at some point based on the anti mutant weaponry they had days after the Phoenix event in Jean's old neighborhood. In general, unless a human is a known friend to the X-Men almost every human is a bigot to mutants immediately upon learning they are near one. The main exception to this is the start of Dark Phoenix when the X-Men go to save the astronauts. Even when facing an unstoppable alien force, humans don't try to work with the X-Men until the train is overwhelmed and basically one solider is left. About a week prior, that solider's son's hero was one of the X-Men. Despite this, he hates them and doesn't consider freeing them to fight the aliens until after his entire unit is basically killed.

In Logan, mutants are experimented on well into this decade and there has been a plot to remove them from the genepool by putting chemicals in the food supply.
In Days of Future Past, the genocide robots have been extremely effective at their goals.

This is why X-men rule even when their movie franchise is a horrible mess dragged by way too much poo poo
Most other superhero comics and movies are about preserving the status quo from invaders or corruption, while the core idea of X-men past the initial Kirby/Lee run is that the world is a horrific place that wants to kill you and you shouldnt trust people in power at any point in time. Your parents are either real or metaphorical monsters, the president is one signature away from authorizing another madman to vivisect you at his whim (and if you are born not in the first world - you are probably already sold on slave or organ market), your teacher WILL fail you either from hubris or from going mad with power. Maybe someone will try to make you a false catholic pope or a vessel of space force.
watch disney make them cops of course

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 3, 2021

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Magneto was right.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

fatherboxx posted:

watch disney make them cops of course

Yeah, I mean, if there's a thesis to the MCU it's that moderate centrist governments are a force for good, and (per your point) challenging that status quo is bad. Killmonger is a dangerous radical foil to wise centrist T'Challa. HYDRA is a bunch of genocidal bad guy neo-Nazis who've infiltrated the benevolent SHIELD, a "good" shadow agency that does morally acceptable secret wetworks poo poo.

X-Men is entirely about marginalized characters who are targeted, exploited, and dehumanized by power structures as they are. Character conflicts are typically some metaphor for racism, homophobia, ableism, mental illness, trauma...half the time they're not even metaphors. So, yeah, the MCU seems like a lovely place for X-Men stories. Wolverine is like if Captain America only sort of volunteered, Project Rebirth traumatized him into insanity, and Nick Fury spent the next couple decades hunting Cap down like an animal so he could slice his rear end open in a laboratory. But watch Wolverine become Winter Solider: a victim of the bad guys who internalizes his trauma as a personal defect, and joins forces with the pro-government good guys because they're on the side of justice.

Magneto *was* right. But they're probably not going to open an MCU movie inside Auschwitz.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Wolverine is going to be treated like a detached outlaw who begrudgingly works with Shield despite shield and project x sharing like 85% of the same policies.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Xealot posted:

Yeah, I mean, if there's a thesis to the MCU it's that moderate centrist governments are a force for good, and (per your point) challenging that status quo is bad. Killmonger is a dangerous radical foil to wise centrist T'Challa. HYDRA is a bunch of genocidal bad guy neo-Nazis who've infiltrated the benevolent SHIELD, a "good" shadow agency that does morally acceptable secret wetworks poo poo.

X-Men is entirely about marginalized characters who are targeted, exploited, and dehumanized by power structures as they are. Character conflicts are typically some metaphor for racism, homophobia, ableism, mental illness, trauma...half the time they're not even metaphors. So, yeah, the MCU seems like a lovely place for X-Men stories. Wolverine is like if Captain America only sort of volunteered, Project Rebirth traumatized him into insanity, and Nick Fury spent the next couple decades hunting Cap down like an animal so he could slice his rear end open in a laboratory. But watch Wolverine become Winter Solider: a victim of the bad guys who internalizes his trauma as a personal defect, and joins forces with the pro-government good guys because they're on the side of justice.

Magneto *was* right. But they're probably not going to open an MCU movie inside Auschwitz.

The MCU did make Inhumans too, a show where the good guys are monarchists enforcing rigid caste system where the winners of a genetic lottery luxuriate and the losers toil in the slave mines digging for the resource that will inflict slavery on their children. And the villain is the one member of the royalty that wants to end that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xealot posted:

onal defect, and joins forces with the pro-government good guys because they're on the side of justice.

The same way we got X-Men Origins: Wolverine and then the movie that became First Class. I wish that now that Logan happened we got an R rated Old Magneto movie with Fassbender. I liked First Class a lot but it not just being two hours of "Magneto fuckin demolishes these Nazis" like they initially planned was a slight letdown.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It’s be sick if they got old man McKellan to appear in present day scenes at the start and the rest is flashbacks to magneto doing nazi hunting. Then at the end it skips back and McKellan fucks up modern day nazis as a grandiose conclusion.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

well why not posted:

It’s be sick if they got old man McKellan to appear in present day scenes at the start and the rest is flashbacks to magneto doing nazi hunting. Then at the end it skips back and McKellan fucks up modern day nazis as a grandiose conclusion.

Would be too good to be true, like look at the state the US is in right now and imagine a movie of McKellan Magneto cutting loose in it at the end

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

we don't deserve a movie where Ian McKellan crashed a helicarrier into a nazi rally with his mind.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I don't think Disney has the balls to put anything emblematic of nazis to film anyways, especially in any content directly associated with the MCU. Other than hokey jokes about knocking out Hitler, I can't remember anything about nazis mentioned in The First Avenger lol—been a a couple years since I last saw it though. At best, Disney would use another stand-in like Hydra for Magneto to hunt down.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

well why not posted:

we don't deserve a movie where Ian McKellan crashed a helicarrier into a nazi rally with his mind.

Why would you even type this sentence out knowing we can never have it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

We don’t deserve a movie where McKellan rips apart every railroad track in a city to defend young mutants from sentinels. Or one where he uses the spire of a tall building as a javelin through a mega sentinel piloted by nazis.

I’m available for spec scripts but only on this topic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

I don't think Disney has the balls to put anything emblematic of nazis to film anyways, especially in any content directly associated with the MCU. Other than hokey jokes about knocking out Hitler, I can't remember anything about nazis mentioned in The First Avenger lol—been a a couple years since I last saw it though. At best, Disney would use another stand-in like Hydra for Magneto to hunt down.

I think new Star Wars did it pretty good. Nazis are whiny young man children who are entitled to something, led by a gold draped nasty old piece of poo poo.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

teagone posted:

Red Skull vaporized some regular Nazis to establish that he is, like, twice as evil as them. See also: HYDRA's double-Nazi salute.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I think new Star Wars did it pretty good. Nazis are whiny young man children who are entitled to something, led by a gold draped nasty old piece of poo poo.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it's impossible to depict fascist dictatorships doing lovely things and have them receive their comeuppance be satisfying. But related to Magneto, I don't know if Disney would ever film the character owning straight-up nazis in WW2 era Germany. My mind immediately "Disney-fies" his backstory in the MCU as a German Jew oppressed by a Hydra equivalent experimenting on "miracles" in his youth so that the brand wouldn't have to worry about any actual nazi imagery in their film series. I'm probably wrong about all this though, lol.

Grendels Dad posted:

Red Skull vaporized some regular Nazis to establish that he is, like, twice as evil as them. See also: HYDRA's double-Nazi salute.

Oh yeah, good point. Forgot about the mega Hitler salute lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The MCU did make Inhumans too, a show where the good guys are monarchists enforcing rigid caste system where the winners of a genetic lottery luxuriate and the losers toil in the slave mines digging for the resource that will inflict slavery on their children. And the villain is the one member of the royalty that wants to end that.

The only MCU show that now counts as MCU is WandaVision.