Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CitizenKain posted:

Hour 17 of being at work Going great!

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

Having experienced split brain and other issues(that on datacore defense only created downtime but no data loss) we do prefer to let updates simmer a bit, both on datacore side and on windows side. Also your post said server, singular. That is no good, it should be at least two servers(in a sync replica team) to avoid going down during updates.

Yeah it's a two service replica pair, should've been clearer about that, sorry.

When I said SAN I meant the entire thing. I've never encountered a SAN with only one array of storage so the thought never crossed my mind that someone would implement that, which is dumb because of course someone has somewhere, and isn't backing it up

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I’m getting mad at the stupid loving Salesforce mascots with their dumb names like “Appy” and “Codey”. I’m trying to do some boring enterprise garbage here, not read a children’s picture book. Quit showing me these cutesy loading animations that look like I’m playing Neopets at work.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Not pissing me off - having a seriously good incident manager running an outage call rather than just dump it all on the poor engineer (me) who is trying to get it all fixed.

Such a huge quality of life change when theres 10-20 people on a call all watching your zoom and pointing fingers at each other.

Hopefully it will last, but some bean-counter is bound to try to get rid of them in the future !

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Lum posted:

Yeah it's a two service replica pair, should've been clearer about that, sorry.

When I said SAN I meant the entire thing. I've never encountered a SAN with only one array of storage so the thought never crossed my mind that someone would implement that, which is dumb because of course someone has somewhere, and isn't backing it up

It's surprisingly common as people think the server (which is equivalent as a single controller) equals as a SAN array chassis (which has usually two active controllers). Thankfully, it's easy to solve(just expensive) as you can convert single node volumes into mirrored ones with a couple of clicks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

For today's "Advanced Binary Editing & Analysis" cyber security class... the lady from the last class who couldn't get on Slack is having problems with g++ and vim.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I totally get that we need to use some liberal analogies with non-technical people to explain things in a way that means we all have an understanding...

...but I don't think telling a user a switch is full therefore his computer cant be connected (no wifi or outlying hubs permitted here) is going to be agreeable, when the user is saying the PC worked before lunch.
I also heard a story that another (non-IT) manager of that area is trying to sort out an extra switch for the area which just absolutely wouldn't happen (its a gov. network, not ours, our strategy is to reduce where possible, not expand) so why you would suggest that is...curious.

I could hear the conversation going round in circles and getting louder from my office and I ended up stepping in and just calming things down a bit. I think when he gets back from patching the dudes PC back in I might ask for his reflections upon that particular ticket.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

They are building a house, 2 lots away from me. Loudest loving poo poo ever. Dumptrucks, backhoes, the semi trucks that need to haul poo poo in/out, dropping off dumpsters, BEEP BEEP BEEP backup alarms

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Not pissing me off.

It turns out our "digital marketing" team used an external website builder/hosting, and that builder was written in... Flash.

The company tweeted saying to use their live chat for website updates.

It's not pissing me off because it's not my problem, not my team's problem and the boss is backing us up on this one.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lum posted:

It's not pissing me off because it's not my problem, not my team's problem and the boss is backing us up on this one.

:unsmith:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bob Morales posted:

For today's "Advanced Binary Editing & Analysis" cyber security class... the lady from the last class who couldn't get on Slack is having problems with g++ and vim.

there need to be admissions tests for these kind of classes

"please generate helloworld.exe, you have three minutes"

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
pissing me off: our engineers wanting to blame connection issues and synthetics blips on GCP having a networking incident in us-east1 without doing any investigation.

like sure, it might actually be GCP's problem, I'm more than happy to justifiably throw something at the feet of an upstream provider.

but we literally do not know the root cause and I'm not willing to just wave my hand and blame GCP without a shred of evidence other than correlation that they're actually at fault! It's just sheer laziness.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Potato Salad posted:

there need to be admissions tests for these kind of classes

"please generate helloworld.exe, you have three minutes"

Any time I take a class that is pushing my knowledge I pre read like the whole first couple chapters of what ever info they send out just so I dont feel dumb at the beginning of the class. The threat of embarrassment is such a strong motivator for me and i dont know how it isnt for others.

pissing me off: I feel like poo poo. I got really solid into a weight lifting routine and have been feeling great all month and I woke up just feeling like utter trash on wednesday and I still havent kicked it. Haven't been out of the house in like 3 weeks so its just sinus crud triggered by indoor allergies. The thought of sitting in front of my computer screen for 9 hours today is just dreadful.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Windows XP machines in 2021...
A lab that has multiple lazer optical measuring devices that cost $10k each somehow didn't think to upgrade their computers.

They are complaining that the new software won't work. Apparently me telling them the new software is 64 bit and xp is 32 bit wasn't enough....

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 24, 2021

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

joebuddah posted:

Windows XP machines in 2021...
A lab that has multiple lazer optical measuring devices that cost $10k each somehow didn't think to upgrade their computers.

They are complaining that the new software won't work. Apparently me telling them the new software is 64 bit and xp is 32 bit wasn't enough....

Wait, expensive industrial machinery with software that actually runs on (semi) modern hardware? I didn't think that existed.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
The lifespan of laboratory equipment can be twenty or thirty years, maybe even longer as the good stuff often gets hand-me-down to less well funded departments/teaching spaces. The software that run this equipment is often a POS and will only work with the machine it was coded for, newer versions of the software that can run on modern computers will often deliberately not work with the older machines.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
This story is totally going to end with them buying x64 Windows XP from a reseller and then wondering why their XP drivers don't work anymore isn't it

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
This wasn't on the device controller, it was on the SPC computer.( Where they input the data to) . That's why I was baffled.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Why on earth would you be Facebook friends with all your coworkers and most of the upper management and then proceed to poo poo talk the company, by name, on Facebook?

And why do you have to be one of my direct reports? I don't need this!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Did some firmware updates on our sonicwall routers last night and one - the most important one - didn't come back up. Turned out to be a bad sfp module at the datacentre and it came back up once they swapped it out but I was dreading it being my fuckup because of this:

Why would you have these options right next to each other in a drop down menu?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

A minor one that's still there in modern Windows when you RDP.

On the start menu if you click your profile pic, you get Change account settings, lock & sign out. Great nothing wrong here. Go down two and you get Disconnect, Shutdown and Restart.

Why is disconnect here and not on the above menu with all the other signout related options? Why is the least destructive option (log out but leave all your poo poo running) right next to the two most destructive?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

tactlessbastard posted:

Why on earth would you be Facebook friends with all your coworkers and most of the upper management and then proceed to poo poo talk the company, by name, on Facebook?

And why do you have to be one of my direct reports? I don't need this!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

bitterandtwisted posted:

Did some firmware updates on our sonicwall routers last night and one - the most important one - didn't come back up. Turned out to be a bad sfp module at the datacentre and it came back up once they swapped it out but I was dreading it being my fuckup because of this:

Jesus loving Christmas

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

me: hey was the registration for this widgetA submitted?
co-worker: yes I requested addresses
me: is it done? I'm not seeing it in the database
co-worker: yes it was completed
me: but there's nothing there, can you confirm if there was an issue?
co-worker: I requested for widgetB and widgetC, not widgetA

:mad:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

bitterandtwisted posted:

There is zero reason for reset with defaults to be an option in that menu. Put it as a tickbox on the reboot page or something.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Some personal poo poo pissing me off: Apparently the Corsair Commander Pro straight up doesn't work on some X570 boards, including mine. The internal USB headers don't get passed through to the OS and the fans also just randomly disappear from the controller software.

I bought this thing expecting to be able to use it and did my cable management with that expectation; now I have to find an alternative, tear open my rig again, remove this hunk of junk, and redo all my cable management.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Today I learned that "dogfooding" is a thing. I had to actually look it up. I guess "open public beta testing" was too long to type out so someone decided to make up a word for it? :shrug:

e: I was wrong, it's when a company uses its own product internally. I guess the term's been around for a while. Never heard of it before today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_your_own_dog_food

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 27, 2021

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DizzyBum posted:

Today I learned that "dogfooding" is a thing. I had to actually look it up. I guess "open public beta testing" was too long to type out so someone decided to make up a word for it? :shrug:

Dogfooding is using your own products, not open/public beta testing. Essentially the company “eats its own dog food” and uses its own products. This often includes having internal users test as part of a release cycle.

In other words it means the product has to be good enough for your own internal use cases before you release it to the public.

I’m 100% in favor of this as long as the people in charge favor honest feedback. Nothing is worse than a company that makes a subpar product, forces its use on its own employees, and doesn’t listen when those employees say why it sucks.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I would argue its worse when a company makes a subpar product and then uses a different product internally because it sucks.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

I've never heard that definition before.

Dogfooding is also expressed as "eating your own dog food" and it means that the company uses their own product(s). Like if, for instance, I worked for Juniper, then eating our own dog food would mean the entire infrastructure was run on Juniper equipment.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, I did more reading and found the actual definition, so I was wrong. I was worried there was a new buzzword being thrown around the office. This is fine. We already do this with our products.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

klosterdev posted:

I would argue its worse when a company makes a subpar product and then uses a different product internally because it sucks.

It's absolutely awful when you're using your own poo poo, and it's poo poo, everyone knows it's poo poo, and please can we use <not-poo poo product instead>, but no. We gotta eat our own dogfood and use our own lovely poo poo. And sell our own lovely poo poo, lying through our teeth because we know it's poo poo and the customer really would be better served with a competitor, because, gently caress, so would we.

Apropos of nothing, never in my life have I been more aware of the truth of the phrase "Sharepoint is the worst at what it does, except everything else."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

bitterandtwisted posted:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

I love the whole series that came from that event.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ConfusedUs posted:

I’m 100% in favor of this as long as the people in charge favor honest feedback. Nothing is worse than a company that makes a subpar product, forces its use on its own employees, and doesn’t listen when those employees say why it sucks.

Pissing me off: this

We're moving from Zendesk to Salesforce for ticketing and every single loving piece of feedback I've filed that isn't a "hey this literally doesn't work" bug report has been essentially WONTFIX'd. The gently caress is the point of user acceptance testing if you're just going to ignore every bit of feedback? :argh:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 27, 2021

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Had a new local firewall program pushed to my computer yesterday, didn't cause noticeable issues when on the network. But I take off the network to configure some hardware, and I can't talk to the equipment. I ask the team the manages the program what the deal is. Turns out that they block any https traffic when off network that isn't going to our citrix portal.
Our old firewall program did that as well, but I could turn it off temporarily, or at the very least look at traffic. I ask if there is a way to turn that off, I'm told no, but maybe they can whitelist a single ip range for a few hours on just my machine. No idea how they expect that to work when doing things after hours, or remotely.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I am once again responsible for a loving MFP printer I can neither fix, nor replace.

I'm sorry your papers are getting wrecked in the ADF, but I really don't have anything to give you and if I "send someone else", they won't have anything for you either. The only replacements we have are color, out of toner, and missing a 3rd tray for their precious labels.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

skooma512 posted:

I am once again responsible for a loving MFP printer I can neither fix, nor replace.

I'm sorry your papers are getting wrecked in the ADF, but I really don't have anything to give you and if I "send someone else", they won't have anything for you either. The only replacements we have are color, out of toner, and missing a 3rd tray for their precious labels.

So what would happen if this colossal paperweight were to "break"?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's more cringe than STPYO, but whatever.

I was on an interview today with 4 other interviewers. The candidate said a lot of disqualifying poo poo, but by far my favorite was this exchange:

:nexus: Any of you ever been to Mexico?
:raise: ...yes?
:nexus: Then you understand the importance of good sanitation services.
:aaaaa:

Honestly, I can't believe the interview went on for another 45 minutes after that.

Bonus exchange:

:raise: How would you go about researching a new technology?
:nexus: Well, first I'd search around the intranet, you know, look for any internal documents that mention it, look through Jira tickets that reference it, that kind of thing.
:raise: uhhh... Okay?
:nexus: Then I'd see if I could find the servers it's hosted on and try to log into them.
:confused: wait, what?
:nexus: never know what you might be able to get into if you snoop around enough, you know? At this other place I worked at, I found all KINDS of stuff. Financial records, you name it. I found what they were paying all their contractors and consultants, budget plans, tons of stuff.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

KillHour posted:

It's more cringe than STPYO, but whatever.

I was on an interview today with 4 other interviewers. The candidate said a lot of disqualifying poo poo, but by far my favorite was this exchange:

:nexus: Any of you ever been to Mexico?
:raise: ...yes?
:nexus: Then you understand the importance of good sanitation services.
:aaaaa:

Honestly, I can't believe the interview went on for another 45 minutes after that.

I had a guy tell me about his web comic, which featured a ghost, a transgender and a lesbian who were roommates and had wacky adventures, while we were waiting for the other interviewer to get there. My coworker didn't understand why I rushed it but when he handed her a card for his website and described it to her too, she caught on quickly.

The position didn't involve comics, animation, writing or anything like that. Just a tier 1 help desk.