Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
It’s Three Olives so it’s probably real-time neighborhood watch alerts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Three Olives posted:

Welcome to my prison:

Why do you have a bin in front of a door (or is it a window you never open)?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It looks like a bigger but otherwise normal window.

Are y'all browsing on iPhone 4's or something?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Acer 27 inch 1440p 144hz IPS monitor.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Wasabi the J posted:

Looks like it's a ring light on a webcam and a censored portrait TV, likely showing schedules and emails above the weather.

Bingo.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Tell me more about this setup please.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Coredump posted:

Tell me more about this setup please.

50" Android TV, boots into a webpage as the screensaver. Webpage has linked widgets to various services, so it pulls my work calendar, task lists, NY Times Headlines, weather, etc, during business hours when I am in my home office. When it is time for my husband to come home from work it displays his travel time home. After work hours it just displays NY Times headlines. weather and several smaller photo frames with family photos, then after bedtime it shows a dim giant satellite photo as kind of nighttime ambiance.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I want to move away from my Ikea Galant as it is just so cumbersome and want more of the butcher block look. I should look for the "thick veneer" ones there, eh? Or just anywhere else that sells like Home Depot?

E: How is bamboo?

https://www.lowes.ca/product/kitchen-countertops/leadvision-bamboo-countertop-255-x-72-x-15-in-894966

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 22, 2021

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Steakandchips posted:

Why do you have a bin in front of a door (or is it a window you never open)?

What’s going on around the ceiling fan?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Anybody seeing significant sag on their monitor arm? I picked up the Amazon Basics which claims it supports up to a 34", which is what I have. However, I'm seeing quite a bit of sag in the main arm joint.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

ILikeVoltron posted:

Anybody seeing significant sag on their monitor arm? I picked up the Amazon Basics which claims it supports up to a 34", which is what I have. However, I'm seeing quite a bit of sag in the main arm joint.

It's not just a size of monitor but also a weight limit. No sag on my monitor arms but it's not Amazon Basics and meant to hold 33 lbs.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

benisntfunny posted:

It's not just a size of monitor but also a weight limit. No sag on my monitor arms but it's not Amazon Basics and meant to hold 33 lbs.

Monitor is 18lb, monitor arm supports up to 25lb, so it's well within specs

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have the 25 pound arm and my 34" ultrawide weighs 12 pounds and it feels like it is at the limit of what the arm supports to be honest. I have to really ratchet it down so it stays where I want it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

tighten the screw if it's a gas arm

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Head Bee Guy posted:

What’s going on around the ceiling fan?

Spinning fan blades caught in the frame? And it's a normal sized window? A trashcan and shredder are like 6 inches deep, you can still easily open the window? I can open the one above the screens just fine too? Also it's our home office, nobody but my husband, an AT&T employee or myself have been in that room in years, we don't have trash bins and shredders hanging out in our living room.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Spinning fan blades caught in the frame? And it's a normal sized window? A trashcan and shredder are like 6 inches deep, you can still easily open the window? I can open the one above the screens just fine too? Also it's our home office, nobody but my husband, an AT&T employee or myself have been in that room in years, we don't have trash bins and shredders hanging out in our living room.

why is your husband’s employer important to this story?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

why is your husband’s employer important to this story?

i think the husband and the AT&T employee are two separate people, the only people who have been in that room

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

plester1 posted:

i think the husband and the AT&T employee are two separate people, the only people who have been in that room

ooh scandalous

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The room is so ugly no-one else wants to go in.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

i meant the black/gray schmutz

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I didn't know 3O got married. Grats man

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Head Bee Guy posted:

i meant the black/gray schmutz

Looks like an artex ceiling so probably just how the light hits it?

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Finally got around to cleaning up my home PC now WFH setup.

Previously had a huge Cooler Master Cosmos full ATX case, a tiny 24" 1080p display, a super narrow Ikea Lisabo desk, and cheap plastic dining chair.

Got this desk from Amazon, an Eames Aluminum Group knockoff from Laura Davidson, a 27" 4k monitor, transferred my old system into a new smaller case, added an RTX 3080, and cable managed everything.

The filing cabinet is from EQ3, and I got it free left over from a staging job at work. Sitting on top is a V600 scanner with a dust cover that I sewed out of felt.

Just have to get my Tolomeo desk lamp mounted now.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Is this a good thread to ask where people get their desks from? I'm in the market, what do you even use to determine what you want? I know about how long I want it to be, and I probably want a sit/stand; where is a good place to order from?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Is this a good thread to ask where people get their desks from? I'm in the market, what do you even use to determine what you want? I know about how long I want it to be, and I probably want a sit/stand; where is a good place to order from?

just like scroll the last 10 pages dude: IKEA, Home Depot (Husky), Amazon, and various direct-to-consumer manufacturers that are easily findable.

If you’re lost about ideas (“how do you determine what you want?”), it’s worth scrolling just to see all of the different setups people have.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Some things to consider for sit/stand desks:
  • Want frame only and use your own surface? Complete kit?
  • Warranty, what does it cover and how long?
  • Manual crank, electronic motor, counterbalance, hydraulic/pneumatic? This affects max weight you can put on the desk in some cases.
  • Single or dual motor if electronic? This can affect not so much speed, but also the smoothness of height transitions.
  • 2-stage or 3-stage legs that will affect minimum and maximum heights.
  • If electronic, do you want memory settings or just basic up/down controls?
  • Swaying stability at high heights. Important, not so important?

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 28, 2021

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

Three Olives posted:

50" Android TV, boots into a webpage as the screensaver. Webpage has linked widgets to various services, so it pulls my work calendar, task lists, NY Times Headlines, weather, etc, during business hours when I am in my home office. When it is time for my husband to come home from work it displays his travel time home. After work hours it just displays NY Times headlines. weather and several smaller photo frames with family photos, then after bedtime it shows a dim giant satellite photo as kind of nighttime ambiance.

What is the webpage it boots up into? Something like Dakboard?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

just like scroll the last 10 pages dude: IKEA, Home Depot (Husky), Amazon, and various direct-to-consumer manufacturers that are easily findable.

If you’re lost about ideas (“how do you determine what you want?”), it’s worth scrolling just to see all of the different setups people have.

This was a good call.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Some things to consider for sit/stand desks:
  • Want frame only and use your own surface? Complete kit?
  • Warranty, what does it cover and how long?
  • Manual crank, electronic motor, counterbalance, hydraulic/pneumatic? This affects max weight you can put on the desk in some cases.
  • Single or dual motor if electronic? This can affect not so much speed, but also the smoothness of height transitions.
  • 2-stage or 3-stage legs that will affect minimum and maximum heights.
  • If electronic, do you want memory settings or just basic up/down controls?
  • Swaying stability at high heights. Important, not so important?
I got my current desk from Amazon for $100, and it's lasted 7 years; I guess with a sit-stand I have to worry about the motors, so the warranty does become important, and given that I've made my cheapass desk last this long without issue, I feel like I don't need to be worried about anything but the motor, really, on the warranty?

I definitely want a complete kit, I don't want to gently caress around with anything custom. Reading through the Wirecutter reviews, I think they're right that if it's a hand crank I'm way less likely to actually use the stand function. I don't think I need anything crazy-high or low (I'm 5'11"; this seems like the answer to both the 2- or 3-stage question and the swaying stability question). Again, reading the Wirecutter review, memory settings seem like a significant plus, but not mandatory.

Reading through this thread and the Wirecutter reviews... Are the people who've gotten Uplift desks pretty happy with them? I've got a significant amount of savings, and am just about to start a new job getting paid a lot more, it seems like a pretty reasonable spend for something that's going to last me a decade. Are the C-frames pretty stable? I'd like the legroom, but I am a bit of a klutz, I don't want to accidentally knock it over by bumping it.

Also, as far as the tops go, what are the advantages of, like, the bamboo over the laminate? Just appearance?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

So I got one of the 70” autonomous.ai desks last week to replace my lovely Amazon corner desk that was too short and hurt my back.

Thing owns, btw - I know there was some skepticism a few pages back but it seems nice and sturdy, motors work well. Heavy fuckin thing.

Anyway, I want to get a drawer to mount under the desk for holding poo poo like the wireless keyboard/mouse I use for work, etc. The drawer autonomous sells looks like hot loving garbage and is way too small. Any recommendations for a better mountable drawer, preferably at least 3” deep and able to fit at least sheets of paper laid flat?

Here’s a picture of said desk.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

thegoat posted:

What is the webpage it boots up into? Something like Dakboard?

I personally use Dakboard, but there are other options like Magic Mirror if you don't want the Smart TV stuff or to pay a subscription, or, frankly, if you want to get into the weeds, roll your own page.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Costco has the electric sit stand desk back in stock for $300.

.random
May 7, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Are the C-frames pretty stable?
Also, as far as the tops go, what are the advantages of, like, the bamboo over the laminate? Just appearance?

C-frames are pretty much equally stable from everything I’ve read, unless you have multiple huge monitors at the back of your desk. The weight of the desktop itself - and the front of the desk’s distance from the point of rotation - should provide sufficient downward force at the front of the desk to keep it from being easily toppled.

As to desktop materials, I can think of like 4 factors: weight/sturdiness, durability, looks, and cost.

weight/sturdiness: Unless you’re planning to dump a whole ton of stuff on top of your desk, weight probably doesn’t matter too much but just make sure you add it in when you calculate the max weight for the motors. Real wood might have less flex than, say, MDF, and the heavier wood might help resist a slight amount of wobble maybe. Also, some cheap desktops might use “honeycomb” instead of solid filling which could behave badly if you use clamp-on things like monitor arms. There’s a wide variety of cheaper materials so it’s hard to say exactly :ghost:

durability: real wood is going to last a long time, especially if it’s a quality wood that’s been sealed and such. Bamboo scratches/dents relatively easily, hardwood much less so. Laminate may or may not last long - HPL (high pressure laminate) will last a lot longer than other laminate surfaces. I definitely can’t tell you how long “long” is though for any of the above :v:

looks & cost: :j: & :dogcited:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
With these heavy rear end stand-up desks, how are they arriving via shipping? Are the packages light enough for one person to man-handle and assemble? Living that bachelor life. :smith:

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Hughmoris posted:

With these heavy rear end stand-up desks, how are they arriving via shipping? Are the packages light enough for one person to man-handle and assemble? Living that bachelor life. :smith:

My heavy rear end desk went straight to the UPS distribution center, and I had to go pick it up myself, in my pickup truck.

I put it together myself because I am of above average strength, otherwise I guess you need a dolly?

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

I got a 5 footer from Uplift and honestly can't recall if it came in one or two boxes, but I was able to ramp it up my front steps, and then muscle it up to the second floor alone (granted, I've also done this with a dresser and a mattress so ymmv). You assemble them upside down which makes the process easier, but you might need an assist to flip it without knocking it around and harming your floors or desk.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Hughmoris posted:

FedEx delivered mine - came in like, 3 boxes, each about 60 lbs. I had to haul it up the stairs to my apartment which wasn't necessarily fun, but I was able to do it by myself.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Hughmoris posted:

My desk from Flexispot by way of Amazon came in two boxes (though one day apart :negative: ). One for the frame and the other was the surface. They weren’t too bad to move on my own to get it from the living room into my bedroom with some box shuffling across the floor. Assembly was somewhat easy however some holes were not predrilled so that was a slight challenge.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

I have the 5ft Jarvis desk and it arrived in ~3-4 boxes via FedEx. The packages were light enough for one person to manhandle around and the desk was pretty easy to assemble by myself. The only tricky bit is that you assemble it by putting the desktop upside down on the floor and building up from it, and flipping the desk around alone was super awkward because the space was cramped and I didn't want to damage anything.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Assembly was somewhat easy however some holes were not predrilled so that was a slight challenge.

My desk was the same way. The legs and supports all had pre-drilled holes, but not the height controls or the cable management system. My guess is that they don't predrill holes for components that can be installed in multiple places, to avoid having the bottom of the desk look like swiss cheese.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You can always remove the top from the box and take that up separate from the other components in the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.random
May 7, 2007

If you have done a good job selecting your valet, he will easily be able to handle the packages.

I understand the difficulties of the bachelor life, too, but fear not: one day, should you be so lucky!, you may find that special someone who will complete your household and serve as your maid or butler to assist your valet with such tasks.