Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
Let me know if people are sick of Mad River shots; I doubt if I'll make it anywhere else this year (laziness + season pass + covid)

The single chair got me nicely above cloud cover today and in general conditions were pretty clear.

Usually following a single, sole track of skis into the woods leads me to exciting places, but sometimes it just leads to having to basically clambor down trees or do some cross country skiing. Maybe I should have an AT setup...

The woods off Bunny finally had enough of a dump to carefully and slowly slog through. This is outdated nostalgia: this little waterfall was a common place to duck off and smoke a bowl... back before everyone just carried oil pens that you can literally hit during a run if you want. Also now that I am weekday season pass and doing this poo poo before work, it's kind of the first time in my adult life that I am doing a lot of skiing without any cannabis...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

They are predicting 66" in Mammoth and 68" in Lake Tahoe in the next 48 hours.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

80” is the low end estimate through the weekend I think edit: noaa point forecast for mammoth at 9900 ft is 76-102” by Friday

Desperately need this system to deliver. Of course my work week is busy af so who knows if I’ll be able to duck out for some turns before Friday

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 26, 2021

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

that's a really exciting forecast to read from the East Coast and I will cross my fingers for y'all!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

kiimo posted:

They are predicting 66" in Mammoth and 68" in Lake Tahoe in the next 48 hours.

I think most people who go to Mammoth a bunch have stories of being stuck in storms of that size or larger

I remember when I was in middleschool there was a New Years eve storm that dropped like 100" in 2 days and folks were stuck up there for days

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Let me know if people are sick of Mad River shots.

I enjoy the pics but obligatory gently caress MRG.

The Glumslinger posted:

I think most people who go to Mammoth a bunch have stories of being stuck in storms of that size or larger

I remember when I was in middleschool there was a New Years eve storm that dropped like 100" in 2 days and folks were stuck up there for days

I have been to mammoth 1 time and we may have been driving on a closed highway to get there. hooray for subaru and snow tires. The resort couldn't even open one day, just nuking snow and no vis.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

spwrozek posted:

I enjoy the pics but obligatory gently caress MRG.

clearly you're not a golfer a snowboarder :allears:

I don't disagree with the senitment, but MRG rules. The terrain overall seems pretty hostile to boards, but, I'm talking out my rear end because I've been on skis since 1991 and I've literally never ridden a board. I should probably go take a season of lessons at Sugarbush sometime; I kinda sorta know how to skateboard.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

clearly you're not a golfer a snowboarder :allears:

I don't disagree with the senitment, but MRG rules. The terrain overall seems pretty hostile to boards, but, I'm talking out my rear end because I've been on skis since 1991 and I've literally never ridden a board. I should probably go take a season of lessons at Sugarbush sometime; I kinda sorta know how to skateboard.

I mostly board but I also ski. MRG looks cool though. just seems like all three of the hold outs should just get over it.

I skied alta one day. I toured on the split right next to it and we popped out on a run on the way back to the parking and I felt cool. I wouldn't want to board Alta honestly, some of it kind of sucked on skis. I have never had to stop mid run to hike up so often in my life.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

spwrozek posted:

I have been to mammoth 1 time and we may have been driving on a closed highway to get there. hooray for subaru and snow tires. The resort couldn't even open one day, just nuking snow and no vis.

Trying to find my condo in the Mammoth Ant Farm

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

that's a really exciting forecast to read from the East Coast and I will cross my fingers for y'all!
Yeah, we're hopefully gonna get a sick 1"-3" tonight on this coast. Face shots for days!

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Squaw is skiing pretty good before the storm, even!

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Keep posting those, so I can live vicariously through them. I had planned on getting to MRG this year, but then lol covid (I'm in NY), and this is probably my last winter in the eastern US, so welp.

(Although I'm still more pissed that Magic is off limits. I love that place.)

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Steve French posted:

Squaw is skiing pretty good before the storm, even!

I really want to ski Squaw some time, terrain looks awesome

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

LostCosmonaut posted:

Keep posting those, so I can live vicariously through them. I had planned on getting to MRG this year, but then lol covid (I'm in NY), and this is probably my last winter in the eastern US, so welp.

(Although I'm still more pissed that Magic is off limits. I love that place.)

Noted. I am actually eyeballing a trip to NYS to see my parents and get some amount of childcare, a thing we otherwise lack. The only way it works is if I can spend a full 7 days there without leaving their house, drive directly back here, and then take a COVID test immediately. It's only a moderate pain in the rear end for me but unless you are able to stay indoors and not interact with society for a week, yeah, it's pretty obnoxious.

Mad River is mostly VT plates this year, some MA. I've mostly been going weekday mornings, and it's dead.

spwrozek posted:

I mostly board but I also ski. MRG looks cool though. just seems like all three of the hold outs should just get over it.

It's a NIMBY thing for me; intellectually I agree with you but selfishly one of the nice things about Mad River is how relatively little traffic there is there, and opening it up to a wider audience can only be detrimental to that. I'd feel more strongly about it if Sugarbush wasn't literally right up the road, substantially more built up, and also, as far as I can tell, a substantially nicer place to snowboard from a terrain and lift accessibility standpoint. Mad River being a weird co-op operating on state land seems to make it even more insular from change.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 27, 2021

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Eejit posted:

I really want to ski Squaw some time, terrain looks awesome

It’s very good and I’m happy to be here. If you’re ever in the area hit me up and I can probably show you around. Just know that a lot of the time a lot of the goods require a good bit of traversing :)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

what's this poo poo that it might pour rain instead of blizzard and ruin Tahoe

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

kiimo posted:

what's this poo poo that it might pour rain instead of blizzard and ruin Tahoe

lol I don’t know where you are hearing it but that’s bullshit. This is going to be an abnormally (for Tahoe) cold storm and the snow levels are supposed to stay below like 5500 the entire time, much of it closer to 3000.

(though this feels like a troll)

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

If so it’s not a funny one that’s exactly the sort of poo poo that would happen!!!!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Anytime I go to Alta solo and ride a lift with randos, I get at least a few people from the east coast telling me how nice it is not having snowboarders and then spout a bunch of 90s Era anti snowboarder anecdotes. It's just a drat marketing thing, to out of touch people who are invariably pretty bad at skiing. It's pretty laughable. I like the bird better anyway unless I'm trying to go tour grizzly or Catherine's. Main chute laps are pretty great late season touring too.

Speaking of, the wind transport served up some great turns off knucklehead traverse today. Even the chopped up stuff off road to provo was awesomely soft.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

spwrozek posted:

I skied alta one day. I toured on the split right next to it and we popped out on a run on the way back to the parking and I felt cool. I wouldn't want to board Alta honestly, some of it kind of sucked on skis. I have never had to stop mid run to hike up so often in my life.
Alta would generally suck on a board and no ones missing out on much by their ban, as you saw. I don’t ski there much compared to the Bird cause I’d usually rather ski than traverse.

People who bitch about snowboarders or love Alta specifically for the ban are universally dipshits tho no question.

Edit: fun fact, an argument about the Alta ban in an earlier incarnation of this thread is what spurned me to finally cough up :10bux: so I could :justpost:

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 27, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Snowboarders vs skiers is some 80s/90s type of stuff. At our resort, we basically have a bunch of distinct factions.

1. NYC daytrippers on their first 3 days of skiing/snowboarding (related NYC daytrippers who are 7 days a year intermediates and who love to talk about how much better things are out west)
  2. Hardcore locals (grew up skiing when the resort was still called Great Gorge/Vernon Valley and hates sharing the mountain especially with ski racers and park rats
  3. Park rats
  4. Guys who think they are park rats but are actually using snowboarding as an excuse to day drink and vape in public
  5. Ski racers and ski race families (hated by locals and guys who think they are park rats)

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DeSpell_/status/1353784685063712771

be careful out on the trails so you dont get dominated by the local wildlife

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

MacPac posted:

Capercaillie not loving around.

I had a grouse have a go at me when I was out hiking once. Followed me for like 200 meters afterwards.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Storm is delivering so far here in Mammoth, extremely light and dry too. This is the first real snowfall our 1 year old puppy has seen and she’s loving it.

Not sure how to embed Imgur video of the frolicking pup:
https://imgur.com/a/cxSd6yT

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 28, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bawfuls posted:

Storm is delivering so far here in Mammoth, extremely light and dry too. This is the first real snowfall out 1 year old puppy has seen and she’s loving it.

Not sure how to embed Imgur video of the frolicking pup:
https://imgur.com/a/cxSd6yT

Yes to all of that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Steve French posted:

lol I don’t know where you are hearing it but that’s bullshit. This is going to be an abnormally (for Tahoe) cold storm and the snow levels are supposed to stay below like 5500 the entire time, much of it closer to 3000.

(though this feels like a troll)

Haha definitely not a troll I read it on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1354162064747417600

casque
Mar 17, 2009

kiimo posted:

Did you read it? Because it's talking about the future, not the present.

Cold and snowy at Tahoe. Hoping tomorrow morning brings more than the 8" of fresh we had this morning.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Question for the thread as a whole: I'm planning on moving to East Idaho this fall, and I'm curious about some of the ski areas around there. Jackson Hole and Grand Targhee have a good amount of info on them, but I'm more curious about some of the smaller areas, 3 in particular:

- Pebble Creek
- Kelly Canyon
- Maverick Mountain

Pebble Creek seems to have a good reputation online, don't know much about the other two besides Kelly is small-ish but closer to where I'll be living, and Maverick is in the middle of nowhere, cheap as hell, and apparently has a John Wayne statue sitting in the corner of their lodge.

If it helps, up til this year I mainly skied Gore, Whiteface, and Magic, so any comparisons with those areas is a plus.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I don't know about those three areas, but are you close enough to visit Sun Valley? I went there for a trip a few years ago and had a really nice time. It didn't seem very crowded and there was a lot of terrain. The grooming was very good as well.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I don't know about those three areas, but are you close enough to visit Sun Valley? I went there for a trip a few years ago and had a really nice time. It didn't seem very crowded and there was a lot of terrain. The grooming was very good as well.

I'd be about 3 hours away, but I feel like if I'm going to spend that much I might as well just go to Jackson Hole. Grooming isn't really a big thing for me (rather have less of it in most areas), but not crowded is good.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

double post

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Where in east Idaho, Teton Valley or more like Idaho Falls/Pocatello?

I have never been to any of those 3 but I do know Idaho Falls doesn’t have a ton of skiers. At least, not enough to make Targhee crowded so I doubt they’d make those spots crowded either.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

MacPac posted:

My friend you have not lived until you’ve had the ever living dogshit scared out of you by a forest turkey while alone in the woods on too many edibles

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

bawfuls posted:

Where in east Idaho, Teton Valley or more like Idaho Falls/Pocatello?

I have never been to any of those 3 but I do know Idaho Falls doesn’t have a ton of skiers. At least, not enough to make Targhee crowded so I doubt they’d make those spots crowded either.

Idaho Falls or Pocatello (I can't go much east of there, I'll be working west of Idaho Falls)

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

kiimo posted:

Ahhhhh, I interpreted your message as referring specifically to _this_ storm. But yeah, for sure it's a concern that that will become a trend long term; we already tend to have pretty warm storms that are very snow level dependent, with rain at the base and snow up top. And not insane vert like e.g. revelstoke or whistler to make up for it.

casque posted:

Cold and snowy at Tahoe. Hoping tomorrow morning brings more than the 8" of fresh we had this morning.

I think it will; based on what's on my deck after clearing it this afternoon it's been coming down about an inch an hour, and opensnow has been saying this wave will likely be closer to 24 hours of heavy snow instead of the 8 hours we got last night. Are you in north or south lake area?

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

casque posted:

it is kinda depressing to be teaching my kid to ski and also thinking that skiing might be a much smaller thing here by the time she's my age (40 this year). Granted, I'm doing everything in my power to set her up to be able to leave the US for someplace less dystopian, but, we'll see...

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Counting down the days til a helicopter takes me from where this picture was taken over to that ridge

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I grew up in Pocatello, spent tons of time at Pebble. My Father has gotten a season pass there ($300 this year) since 2001. When I was in high school the place was owned by a classmate's family and I think the current owners went to school with me as well and bought the place a few years ago when they sold their youtube channel for millions of dollars. Or something like that.

The short version is that Pebble has really good terrain that is quite challenging in its steepness, and would be an amazing resort if they ever got decent snow. On a good year $300 would be a steal. On bad years (like this one) they won't open till January. On any kind of year you're going to beat up your equipment on rocks. It sure seems like they have a lot more bad years since the '90s and 2000s. The resort never gets as much snow as the nearby resorts due to the geology of SE Idaho..

The drawbacks of the lovely snow are offset a bit by the proximity to town, you can be on the hill in 20 minutes or so, and the very-much-a-local's-mountain feel. If you are ambitious enough for a not very difficult hike up from the top there's access to lots of really cool terrain. Also awesome apres soaking down the road at Lava Hot Springs.

I've never been to Kelly Canyon but the reputation it had was for pretty easy terrain, kind of the opposite of Pebble Creek, which I again stress is quite steep. There's also Pomerelle resort, by Twin Falls which is kinda flat, but has some ok tree riding and gets dumped on every year.

Based on the last several years' snowfall, with snow sports my only priority, I'd probably pick Idaho Falls just for its proximity to JH and Targhee. There's also fun WW rafting/kayaking over there in the summer.

Pocatello is closer to SLC but you're still looking at 3 hours to get to the resorts.

Whichever city you end up in make sure to poo poo on the residents of the other one or you'll never fit in.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

Steve French posted:

I think it will; based on what's on my deck after clearing it this afternoon it's been coming down about an inch an hour, and opensnow has been saying this wave will likely be closer to 24 hours of heavy snow instead of the 8 hours we got last night. Are you in north or south lake area?

North; I got a few runs in at Squaw this morning. The snow was nice.

I should be able to get a couple hours in tomorrow morning and friday morning. It's nice to see all this snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

LostCosmonaut posted:

Idaho Falls or Pocatello (I can't go much east of there, I'll be working west of Idaho Falls)

Idaho National Lab?