Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Klyith posted:

are your posts supposed to be funny?

its not catered to people who will call people pedos for owning bitcoin and then helping them cash out the very next second so you may not be the proper audience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Slumpy posted:

its not catered to people who will call people pedos for owning bitcoin and then helping them cash out the very next second so you may not be the proper audience

so that’s a “no” then

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
also finding this thread to be surprisingly anti-drug, couple with poopoo peepee humor and calling people imbeciles its like a Raegan appreciation station in here

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

are your posts supposed to be funny?

Pathos is one of the cornerstones of comedy

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

"take their ball and go home" = halt trading on stocks so that people aren't dumping money into bubbles and losing it all in the crash

if you look at bitcoin's volatility and think it's a good thing, you're an idiot

if you think volatile markets are somehow gonna make all the rich people go bankrupt, you're a double idiot

Seriously. Saving people from still investing in a pump & dump that was very obviously unsustainable and about to crash is reasonable. It's also not the first time this has happened.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Fame Douglas posted:

Seriously. Saving people from still investing in a pump & dump that was very obviously unsustainable and about to crash is reasonable. It's also not the first time this has happened.

It's fascinating that the same people vehemently against crypto are absolutely pro wall street clowning retail investors. For their own safety, of course.

So when was the other time that retail traders were prevented from buying, but not selling, a stock while wall street was allowed to trade the stock as usual?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Poop-touchers demonstrating that a lot of wall street is a scam is good, but not touching the poop is still the best idea.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I'm imagining Jesus, not being tempted in the desert, but huddled over in his computer lair, counting his eGold Bitcoins and laughing maniacally at the environmental damage, enabling of pedophilia, hard drug and human trafficking, and paid murder he's contributing to by using them.

While outside the window, the devil laughs:

WWSD (What would shitcoiners do).

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

That's some expert level spin, have you turned red from Kool aid?

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's fascinating that the same people vehemently against crypto are absolutely pro wall street clowning retail investors. For their own safety, of course.

So when was the other time that retail traders were prevented from buying, but not selling, a stock while wall street was allowed to trade the stock as usual?

the poop jokes and thesaurus.com list of the word 'moron' doesn't lend itself to logic. bitcoin bad, market manipulation spun as best for the common person good

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
the whole wsb thing reads to me more like the bank run scene in its a wonderful life except they’re swarming potter instead

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/ICELEVEL/status/1354670938034327552

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

xtal posted:

nah they're absolutely right, the "people" being protected are hedge fund managers and it's definitely not the first time hedge funders have been saved!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I think bitcoin is bad.

Discuss my hot take.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Bitcoin: Bad, within scope of thread.

Stocks: Bad, not within scope of thread.

Slumpy: Goddamn I have not seen someone this desperate to get the last word, no matter how pathetic, in a long time. Necessary context: This is a thread with Seraph in it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

EorayMel posted:

I think bitcoin is bad.

Discuss my hot take.

thats why im all in on dogecoin baybeeeee

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

xtal posted:

Alright, so what do you think the end-game for GME is? That its natural environment is MOON and the filthy banksters are keeping the people from the riches they truly deserve?

Or is the price what the fundamentals say it is, that it's a dying retail brand that was in trouble before the pandemic and with the pandemic has even less reason for existing, thus its true value is close to zero?

Which is the actual consumer-friendly approach retail brokerages should take?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
the fundamentals aren't real

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

kw0134 posted:

Alright, so what do you think the end-game for GME is? That its natural environment is MOON and the filthy banksters are keeping the people from the riches they truly deserve?

Or is the price what the fundamentals say it is, that it's a dying retail brand that was in trouble before the pandemic and with the pandemic has even less reason for existing, thus its true value is close to zero?

This is really a mask off moment for this thread. Before now when I said you were Wall Street shills it was only an assumption.

Why are you even asking those questions to begin with? The decisions are being made for some stocks and not others. It's extremely clearly market manipulation from companies owned by hedge funds.

And people here still love it!

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
the poor hedge funds!!!!!!!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

kw0134 posted:

there is no real connection between stock price and anything, its all complete speculation, always

fundamentals, lol, i guess we should have pulled the plug on the stock market as it was climbing up because the fundamentals say that 'oh poo poo there is a once in a generation pandemic that is destroying lives'. but instead up everything went

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Slumpy posted:

the poor hedge funds!!!!!!!

Yeah, I'm sure retail investors "investing" at the 11th hour into an obvious pump & dump aren't the ones holding the bags.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's almost as if there is one stock that is in the news a ton because of some ridiculous gyrations completely unhinged from reality. So answer the question: if it's being manipulated, do you think that all the retail investors are going to retire on GME riches once evil Robinhood removes the trading restrictions, or are they just lambs to the slaughter?

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

kw0134 posted:

It's almost as if there is one stock that is in the news a ton because of some ridiculous gyrations completely unhinged from reality. So answer the question: if it's being manipulated, do you think that all the retail investors are going to retire on GME riches once evil Robinhood removes the trading restrictions, or are they just lambs to the slaughter?

webull and ameritrade opened back up and the stock price shot up immediately after

Naked shorts were extended from 140% to 250% at the same time robinhood closed out trading.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

kw0134 posted:

A bit of both because that is how stocks work?

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
https://twitter.com/Chris2pherChase/status/1354854971221684225

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1354830697459032066

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And in the next tweets he states that he doesn't know whether it is true and whether the screenshot is even real, lmao.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

So you think that every retail investor is going to magically get out at a profit?

Or is it more probable that given the sort of nonsensical price fluctuations a huge number of people are gonna be left the bagholders once the music stops? Despite some nonsensical gibberish about "lol stocks" you can't squeeze money from a dead business. This is like when people were trading Hertz despite it being in literal bankruptcy. Some people made out like bandits when it went from $1 to $6, but a ton more blew up their account when it got delisted and is trading for pennies on pink sheets.

Also if there is naked shorting that should result in jail time. That's actual, literal stock fraud.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

kw0134 posted:

Also if there is naked shorting that should result in jail time.
couple coiners itt showing and squeezing their naked shorts / have records for doing so

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

kw0134 posted:

So you think that every retail investor is going to magically get out at a profit?

Or is it more probable that given the sort of nonsensical price fluctuations a huge number of people are gonna be left the bagholders once the music stops? Despite some nonsensical gibberish about "lol stocks" you can't squeeze money from a dead business. This is like when people were trading Hertz despite it being in literal bankruptcy. Some people made out like bandits when it went from $1 to $6, but a ton more blew up their account when it got delisted and is trading for pennies on pink sheets.

Also if there is naked shorting that should result in jail time. That's actual, literal stock fraud.

what is this magic investment where everyone profits

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Slumpy posted:

Index funds

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Nothing. Duh. But the investment that everyone is going "well this is heavily manipulated" is not a poster child for "let's have anyone who heard a 'tip' on WSB to go place leveraged and speculative bets using financial instruments they likely don't actually understand."

Like if your argument is solely that we're all adults and we should let people throw themselves into a burning pyre because they think it's fun, then fine. But let's not pretend that pretty much any time retail traders do something like this it ends well for the majority of them, or even more than a small fraction of them.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Slumpy posted:

Bitcorn, going by what you guys are always telling us.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Fame Douglas posted:

Bitcorn, going by what you guys are always telling us.

i just keep hearing this argument that "someone will be left holding the bags"

what investment results in everyone profiting? why is this an argument? is there like, an example?

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
lol @ people making reddit morons throwing money at socks into class warfare, I bet a wallstreet bigwig saw one of their competitors going balls deep in the shorts and decided to gently caress with them and simultaneously dupe some redditors out of their savings by buying a bunch of accounts, upvotes and reddit awards to build up mania on the moron gambling subreddit.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

kw0134 posted:

that pretty much any time retail traders do something like this it ends well for the majority of them, or even more than a small fraction of them.

???????????? when has something like this happened

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Slumpy posted:

what investment results in everyone profiting? why is this an argument? is there like, an example?

A company investing in materials and machinery to turn the raw materials into a more valuable end product ends up with the material seller moving their inventory and profiting, the customer getting something they desire, and the company pocketing the excess value produced. You can be a fraction of the company by buying its stock. You don't need a rube to hold the bag if the company you own is profitable.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

junan_paalla posted:

A company investing in materials and machinery to turn the raw materials into a more valuable end product ends up with the material seller moving their inventory and profiting, the customer getting something they desire, and the company pocketing the excess value produced. You can be a fraction of the company by buying its stock. You don't need a rube to hold the bag if the company you own is profitable.

i bought a walmart shirt we all profited

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Slumpy posted:

i bought a walmart shirt we all profited

you clearly valued it more than having money in your pocket so yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I literally cited an example: Hertz. Also, like... most of the financial bubbles in the last three hundred years? South Sea Company, tulipmania, railroad stocks in the 19th century, the Great Depression, the dotcom bubble... are you just unaware of all of economic history?