Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

is MHA not extremely popular? I was of the mind that they'd try to make it an enduring property and brand a la One Piece and Naruto. that movie did gangbusters in Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wonder whether MHA or Vigilantes will end first as they both seem to be heading towards their respective final arcs (it’d be nice to get an anime adaptation of the latter as well but I don’t think you could really get away with marketing it as a kids show).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I wonder if Hori changed his mind on what he planned to do with that villainous merger. I just keep thinking about that splash page that showed the different factions in the organization and how that panned out to a whole lot of nothing.

Most of these leaders are still uncaptured and active. I'd expect them to be various minibosses leading up to the final conflict.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

grieving for Gandalf posted:

is MHA not extremely popular? I was of the mind that they'd try to make it an enduring property and brand a la One Piece and Naruto. that movie did gangbusters in Japan

Shonen Jump seems to be moving away from ultra-long series since it causes burnout in their talent. MHA isn't especially long but it is the oldest currently running manga in Weekly Shonen Jump after One Piece.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

It's extremely popular, and it's also Jump's second longest running (active) series by a pretty decent margin over #3.

Hori's kind of all over the place in interviews - he originally wanted to wrap it up in 30 volumes, but cleared that pretty easily. He probably just has a fairly clear idea for where he wants things to end up, and I can't blame someone for wanting to wrap up their story within the next half decade, especially when a bunch of really successful SJ series have done just that fairly recently. I'd also be giving One Piece the side-eye in his position because lord knows I wouldn't want my finale to coincide with anything major in that series.

I think even at the current pace it still has at least a couple years of chapters before it fully wraps up. There's still quite a bit to cover, even if Hori kind of sets aside some of the more tertiary plots. We only get 40-some chapters per year. I think we're due for some sort of a breather arc here (or, at least as much of one as can be managed) and then a longer finale arc if we're truly in the end game.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I know there was a (kinda unremarked upon) 3 month timeskip already but honestly I wouldn't be shocked if they skipped straight into year 2 not long from now

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

JT Jag posted:

I know there was a (kinda unremarked upon) 3 month timeskip already but honestly I wouldn't be shocked if they skipped straight into year 2 not long from now

I legitimately don't think we're going to get a year 2 at this rate

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Aren't they extremely close to year 2 already? Like all they have left for this year is their finals and with everything going on right now, who knows if they'll even do those.

"You kids fought in a literal war with an army of villains and survived, I think we'll just go ahead and give you all an A for the rest of the year."

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rhonne posted:

Aren't they extremely close to year 2 already? Like all they have left for this year is their finals and with everything going on right now, who knows if they'll even do those.

"You kids fought in a literal war with an army of villains and survived, I think we'll just go ahead and give you all an A for the rest of the year."

What I'm saying is I don't think U.A. stays open after this. If it does it is going to be completely loving baffling.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

What I'm saying is I don't think U.A. stays open after this. If it does it is going to be completely loving baffling.

Why would they close? None of what happened here is UA's fault and they're probably one of the few place where these kids will be relatively safe from All For One's new villain army.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Rhonne posted:

Why would they close? None of what happened here is UA's fault and they're probably one of the few place where these kids will be relatively safe from All For One's new villain army.

If anything U A might end up a shelter for heroes overall. It’s almost definitely one of the most defensible locations available.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lord_Magmar posted:

If anything U A might end up a shelter for heroes overall. It’s almost definitely one of the most defensible locations available.

Ah, the Hogwarts scenario

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

UA in active competition between it, Hogwarts, and Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters to see who can endanger more children in a given year.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I think UA wins that one handily what with the entrance exam that involves giant murder robots and the yearly sports festival where teenagers are encouraged to beat the poo poo out of each other with their superpowers.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Still can't get over eraserhead going "welp, ok" to seven children joining the raid of a yakuza stronghold drug ring.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Funky Valentine posted:

d) all of the above and then they get married

The cousin to the suspension bridge effect, the maimed child/surrogate child effect.

Rhonne posted:

Considering he was obsessed with All Might being the one to kill him, he might have just gone off to find him instead of having anything to do with All for One's bullshit.

Also poor Spinner is slowly realizing he hasn't actually saved Shigaraki. He lost his gamer buddy. :smith:

Has Shigaraki considered the fact that destroying everything also means no video games

Not sure if he's thought this through

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 27, 2021

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Ytlaya posted:

Has Shigaraki considered the fact that destroying everything also means no video games

Not sure if he's thought this through

Turns out Shigaraki is a massive retro-game hipster and he's ok with destroying bideo games, because nothing good came out after 1998 obviously. :jerkbag:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I legitimately don't think we're going to get a year 2 at this rate

Oh, so you think we're just going to jump 10 years into the future instead? Well it's a bold decision but I can't say I disagree.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Oh, so you think we're just going to jump 10 years into the future instead? Well it's a bold decision but I can't say I disagree.

Deku when he wakes up from his coma:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGg5gSqekw

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

MorningMoon posted:

Still can't get over eraserhead going "welp, ok" to seven children joining the raid of a yakuza stronghold drug ring.

Really put LockRock in perspective. He seems like a dick at first, but later it comes out that "yeah I'm not really cool with fighting alongside child soldiers police."

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Vengarr posted:

Really put LockRock in perspective. He seems like a dick at first, but later it comes out that "yeah I'm not really cool with fighting alongside child soldiers police."

In the same vein thinking back to Midoriya in beginning when he's thinking that not even his mom would tell him he can be a hero, then it turns out she was right not to encourage him with each passing arc.

Wonder how All Might is feeling right now?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

All Might told Izuku at the start he was going to get hosed up and only changed his mind when the boy nearly killed himself to save Katsuki of all people.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Funky Valentine posted:

All Might told Izuku at the start he was going to get hosed up and only changed his mind when the boy nearly killed himself to save Katsuki of all people.

Yeah, he was probably right in the sense that Midoriya would have just inevitably gotten himself killed, so he might as well have the power to have a better chance of surviving when doing dangerous things.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

So why did Almight scratch out the 4th's info? Why so secretive over danger sense?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Sub Harrison posted:

So why did Almight scratch out the 4th's info? Why so secretive over danger sense?

Probably because it was meant to be something else but with the accelerator kicking in now I imagine its an arc thats hit the cutting room floor.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

Deku has an impulsive need to save everyone in danger and now he has spider-sense powered up by One For All. The kid is going to go crazy.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Sub Harrison posted:

Can't let Naruto know who his father is for reasons.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Probably because it was meant to be something else but with the accelerator kicking in now I imagine its an arc thats hit the cutting room floor.
I doubt it, they called attentoin to crossing out that information and how All Might didn't want him to know about the 4th (he did at least mention the power) and when Danger Sense activated a few chapters ago it nearly knocked deku out cold

it's getting a lot of set up!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Maybe it drove the owner nuts or something.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Either Deku's in OFA's quirk headspace and/or in a comatose dream struggling to deal with danger sense.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 28, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Izuku, waking up: ...am I in Heaven?
*sees Katsuki running at him*
Izuku: Oh no, Kacchan's here! THIS MUST BE THE OTHER PLACE!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Maybe it drove the owner nuts or something.

When they had that one flashback panel shows the previous holders passing on One For All, the 4th was the only one not shown dying in battle. Maybe danger sense was just too much for him and he killed himself. I could see All Might finding that out and going "mmmm, don't like that! I'm going to go ahead and not tell Midoriya about this until I can figure something out."

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Lamebot posted:

Either Deku's in OFA's quirk headspace and/or in a comatose dream struggling to deal with danger sense.

Yeah that's what I'm expecting, too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lamebot posted:

My guess is with it jacked up on OFA he'll have near complete situational awareness as poo poo goes down and be unable to do anything about it.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Sub Harrison posted:

I have two theories:

1) The 4th was a self-sacrificial maniac like Deku and burned out faster than any other holder because he just couldn't stop breaking himself to help people he knew were in danger. I think this is more likely because the thing most likely to break Deku, who wants to be "a hero who will save everybody" would be having to face the fact that he can't, in near omnipotent high definition.

2) The 4th was the exact opposite of the above and prioritized running and hiding from imminent danger. Maybe kind of a poo poo hero and a bit of a stain on the whole successor system? Maybe took the directive of protecting OFA a bit too strictly. The only reason I can entertain this one is because the 5th (Black Whip) holder seems like the kind of guy who might track him down and make him hand it over for the greater good, if he somehow caught wind of the situation.

Either way, the power is more of a curse than a blessing at first blush, it's the kind of thing one might rather hide and hope it never comes up. I'm sure Deku's going to find a way to wrangle it for good, though. Probably going to be the topic of the next few chapters.

If we're foot-to-the-floor on pacing right now, this would probably be the time for Deku to have a good chat with all of the previous holders and figure some things out.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 28, 2021

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Danger sense is a real double-edged sword depending on how sensitive it is.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is danger sense for when Deku is in danger or whenever there is any danger at all?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

The way it presented, it alerted him specifically (and overwhelmingly) that Shouto was in imminent danger, snapping him back into consciousness after he passed out from breaking all of his limbs.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, for someone who will break all of his bones to save the day it's probably pretty alarming for the guy trying to keep him safe that he's just been handed constantly updating minimap showing him all the opportunities he has to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Shere posted:

The way it presented, it alerted him specifically (and overwhelmingly) that Shouto was in imminent danger, snapping him back into consciousness after he passed out from breaking all of his limbs.

Who do we need to tie to train tracks to get him out of his coma?