Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

Maybe the aforementioned grooming is more important to her than roids when it comes to the character clause
I would hope so but that’s not what her tweets posted here said about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Blue Jays gotta be figuring that any warm body that keeps the game close enough for their offense to take over is good enough.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

hasn’t worked for Anaheim but maybe things are different in Canada

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Matz is whatever as a starter but this clears a 40 man spot for the Jays and Diaz and SRF weren't gonna stick even in the pen so sure why not.

Also clears 5 million for the Mets to spend on Bauer or Bradley or whoever.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GalacticAcid posted:

I do worry about him being in the AL East though lol that RBH heavy Yankees lineup is going to absolutely torch him

God I hope so.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The most memorable thing about Matz was his debut game.

I like him as a backend but hope he has lots of success in Canada.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My primary thought about that trade is that it clears a spot for Bauer

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I guess maybe she cut him because of the grooming grossness? Its hard to see any other reason to include Pettitte and PED guys but not Clemens.

Simple math works without getting all conspiracy theory about it. "I really want to get Sosa on the ballot because he needs every vote, but I already have 10. Guess I'll take Clemens off since one vote shouldn't make too much of a difference".

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

bees x1000 posted:

hasn’t worked for Anaheim but maybe things are different in Canada

The rotation is more or less Hyun Jin Ryu and some guys, but that's still better than anything the Angels have trotted out in the past few years.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Mets are making room for Bauer right?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Strasburgs UCL posted:

The rotation is more or less Hyun Jin Ryu and some guys,

Pearson will be quite good imho

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
When Matz is actually fully healthy he's a pretty high upside starter, the problem is that his elbow is made of hopes and dreams and if you raise your voice too loudly near him it shatters into a million pieces. Hopefully that will change now that he's away from the Mets' medical staff; remember Matz is the guy who showed up to the clubhouse on the day he was supposed to start a few years back with his pitching elbow "swelled to the size of a grapefruit", and the Mets medical staff just gave him a cortisone injection and cleared him to start.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Matz isn't really an innings eater, never pitched more than 160 innings in a season. He's had a hard time staying healthy. I like the dude and wish him a lot of success.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

I would hope so but that’s not what her tweets posted here said about it

Ah, hadn't really followed through the entire thing

If you're ignoring off the field stuff entirely then not voting for Clemens is ridiculous

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I’d feel a lot more confidence in the Blue Jays if they had traded for Musgrove lol

Maybe it’s tough to make blockbuster trade like that with somebody who knows your system as intimately as Cherington does Toronto’s

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

GalacticAcid posted:

Pearson will be quite good imho

Probably not fair to call Robbie Ray just a guy either, even if I have no idea whether he will ever be good again.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Tanaka back to Japan.

https://twitter.com/Rakuten__Eagles/status/1354708572576370691?s=19

I saw him pitch in Sendai in 2010. The only NPB game I ever went to. My wife threw my Rakuten hat away when we moved to America. :argh:

Edit:
Lol 2 years $8.6M per year. MLB financial are a joke. The dude is 32. Is the Kluber deal really better than that? IMO no.

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 28, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
His stuff the last 2 years was really nowhere close to the same. He pretty much lost his splitter.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

ScottyJSno posted:

Tanaka back to Japan.

https://twitter.com/Rakuten__Eagles/status/1354708572576370691?s=19

I saw him pitch in Sendai in 2010. The only NPB game I ever went to. My wife threw my Rakuten hat away when we moved to America. :argh:

Edit:
Lol 2 years $8.6M per year. MLB financial are a joke. The dude is 32. Is the Kluber deal really better than that? IMO no.

That can't possibly be accurate

E: like seriously, you must have missed a decimal somewhere. Here's the top salaries in NPB last year:

https://nbakki.hatenablog.com/entry/Top_100_Salaries_of_NPB_Players_in_2020

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Apparently the A's offered Semien 1x12.5 million with 10 million deferred. 1 million per year over the next decade. What a joke.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Apparently the A's offered Semien 1x12.5 million with 10 million deferred. 1 million per year over the next decade. What a joke.

man, can this team be a bummer

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm gonna miss Tanaka, and he's a Top 3 "I can't believe we didn't get that guy a ring" Yankee of my lifetime so far.

At the same time, I'm super happy none of the other AL East rumors came to pass because I absolutely would not be capable of rooting against him.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

E: like seriously, you must have missed a decimal somewhere. Here's the top salaries in NPB last year:

So Tanaka is now the highest paid player in NPB history? That's cool.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i feel like a guy who was solidly above average in MLB should just go and absolutely wreck NPB. that slider, man

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bewbies posted:

i feel like a guy who was solidly above average in MLB should just go and absolutely wreck NPB. that slider, man

Also if he can throw his good split with the NPB ball, it's gonna be absolute slaughter.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm gonna miss Tanaka, and he's a Top 3 "I can't believe we didn't get that guy a ring" Yankee of my lifetime so far.

At the same time, I'm super happy none of the other AL East rumors came to pass because I absolutely would not be capable of rooting against him.

Mattingly, Tanaka, and... Mussina?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Did you misread the dollar figure as Yen instead of Dollars? Tanaka being the highest paid player in NPB makes sense to me.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Red posted:

Yes

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Inspector_666 posted:

I’m really sad Tanaka is not gonna be on the Yankees next year. Probably my favorite player on the team the last few years.

Red posted:

Mine are Tanaka, Mussina and Giambi. I didn’t move to America (and start following baseball) until the 90s, so I have no personal memories or anything of watching Mattingly.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Red posted:

Mattingly is before my time, really. I mean he played while I was alive obviously but before my fandom.

It's Moose, Tanaka, and probably Dellin right now. Moose and Tanaka are definitely the 1-2.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/susanslusser/status/1354862301447221252

Seems like a good deal. Could be a bargain if his improved power and plate discipline are legit. If not, he'll be a nice backup/utility guy.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Moose, Tanaka, and Kuroda :smith:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Inspector_666 posted:

Also if he can throw his good split with the NPB ball, it's gonna be absolute slaughter.

Yeah, I bet he rebounds great in Japan with the different ball (also competition level). I always loved watching Tanaka pitch, sad for MLB, great for NPB.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Red posted:

Mattingly was the saddest. Dude broke in during the ‘83 season, was a beast for all of the 80s on some brutal teams, wrecked his back and lost his power, and retired right before the dynasty started. He made the playoffs once in his career (his last year, and never made it out of the ALDS), retired, and then watched the Yankees win 4 World Series in 5 years 😩

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Steve Cohen might be going to jail lol :mets:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Chamale posted:

Steve Cohen might be going to jail lol :mets:

You must be new to America

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

GPTribefan posted:

Mattingly was the saddest. Dude broke in during the ‘83 season, was a beast for all of the 80s on some brutal teams, wrecked his back and lost his power, and retired right before the dynasty started. He made the playoffs once in his career (his last year, and never made it out of the ALDS), retired, and then watched the Yankees win 4 World Series in 5 years 😩

Don't forget the Yanks were cruising to the playoffs in '94 when the strike hit. That felt like his chance and I was heartbroken when it happened. Then the Wild Cards gets introduced and the Yanks make it with that and its like "FINALLY!" and then Joey loving Cora.

Then Steinbrenner trades for Tino and I can still remember holding my breath to see if Mattingly would play for another team. Mattingly as an Oriole would have broke me.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

GPTribefan posted:

Going further back, but check out Bobby Murcer.

Comes up with the Yankees in 1965 - the year after the greatest dynasty ever ended. Becomes a regular in 1969 and puts up a 136 OPS+ over the next 6 years with 3 top 10 MVP finishes and 4 all star appearances.

Gets traded to the Giants before they make the playoffs again and misses out on going to three straight World Series in 76-78.

Then gets traded back to the Yankees in 79, finally making the post season in 1981, but the Yankees lost.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1354905120329388034

:confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Mattingly is before my time, really. I mean he played while I was alive obviously but before my fandom.

It's Moose, Tanaka, and probably Dellin right now. Moose and Tanaka are definitely the 1-2.

It could be worse; you could be in your early 40s, and realizing all the players you loved as a kid are massive chuds.