Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

astral posted:

Your best bet would be to get a $1 starter kit from Amazon and do a bunch of speed tests with the trial SIM to get a feel for the speeds in your area at various times:
https://www.amazon.com/Mint-Mobile-Starter-Verify-Compatibility/dp/B0786RD524/

Speedtest.net, at least, seemed to be whitelisted and not count towards the 100MB.

Hey neat. I didn't know those were a thing. I have a dollar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Hey guys, I’m looking for a cheaper wireless plan. My partner and I both use < 1gb of data combined. We’re paying ~$55+tax right now for Google Fi.
Mint Mobile seems pretty nice at $15/month each (3gb), but I’ve seen mention of Mobi (never heard of them before) as well. Any of you have experiences with Mint?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Valicious posted:

Hey guys, I’m looking for a cheaper wireless plan. My partner and I both use < 1gb of data combined. We’re paying ~$55+tax right now for Google Fi.
Mint Mobile seems pretty nice at $15/month each (3gb), but I’ve seen mention of Mobi (never heard of them before) as well. Any of you have experiences with Mint?

Mint mobile runs off the t-mobile network exclusively, so if you live outside a metro area ymmv on whether you have signal or not. Even though I could use Wi-Fi calling while I was at home, I ended up switching to Boom so I could use the at&t network and have had no problems with signal since (aside from taking a back road that leads through a national forest, but that's kind of to be expected).

Otherwise, the service was good and super easy to change out your plan at next renewal if you realized you started regularly using more/less data than you planned.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
If your data needs are going to stay low, you could also look at Tello. They’re now sending GSM SIMs for the T-Mobile network and you can get 1 GB of Data and unlimited talk and text for $10/month.

(I haven’t tried them yet so can’t say first hand how the service or support is.)

edit: I should’ve been clearer, they do have plans with more data, too, but you can get it down pretty cheap if you need limited data or minutes.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Valicious posted:

I've been on Mint for a very long time and it is great. They (via Tmo) have great coverage inside buildings thanks to 700MHz band 12.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Ting has the new Flex plan for $10/line and then $5 for 1gb of shared data, so for 2 lines that's $25/month total + taxes/fees

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MorrisBae posted:

Ting has the new Flex plan for $10/line and then $5 for 1gb of shared data, so for 2 lines that's $25/month total + taxes/fees

Yeah their email read like this was replacing the old plan. I have one phone on their old plan that wavers from $7-13 a month and I'm not actually looking to change that to be $10+ but maybe I just need to port out or do a second line on my Google Fi account.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Valicious posted:

I'm another Mint convert. If you have good T-Mobile coverage they're awesome. plus they have a nice referral program if want to take advantage of that

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have recommendations for an unlocked cell phone? Android preferred, cheap is nice. Brother is looking for recommendations.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Rexxed posted:

Yeah their email read like this was replacing the old plan. I have one phone on their old plan that wavers from $7-13 a month and I'm not actually looking to change that to be $10+ but maybe I just need to port out or do a second line on my Google Fi account.

I think the original bucket plans are grandfathered in, but who knows for how long

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone have recommendations for an unlocked cell phone? Android preferred, cheap is nice. Brother is looking for recommendations.

Pixel 4a

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I’m gonna give Mint Mobile a shot. Anybody wanna toss me their referral code?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
I'll take a referral too - Mint Mobile just went up to 4GB for $15/month today

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

MorrisBae posted:

I'll take a referral too - Mint Mobile just went up to 4GB for $15/month today

I PM'd the other poster about a referral, you don't have PMs. If it's ok with the mods I can post a link and edit it out once you've used it?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I PM'd the other poster about a referral, you don't have PMs. If it's ok with the mods I can post a link and edit it out once you've used it?

Someone else already helped me out - but thanks for offering!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

MorrisBae posted:

Someone else already helped me out - but thanks for offering!

Awesome! Hopefully the service works out for you!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Pixel 4A or iPhone SE2 if those are within his budget. Below there you start making compromises, the cameras get a lot worse, the screens get a lot worse, the processors are slower and have less memory, etc.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Seconding the Pixel 4a. It’s a drat nice phone for the price and with most phones cheaper than that you’re going to feel the budget-ness in some way. If he still wants cheaper, perhaps the Moto G Power.

The only reason I’m against the iPhone SE2 is it looks like a phone from 7 years ago.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Switched to Mint two days ago after about 6 years on Cricket. Activation and number port were super quick and simple. Service in Metro Detroit seems great so far. I get signal at work in places I didn't with Cricket. Data speeds seem to be about 15-20mbps on average (Cricket was capped at 8). VoLTE, VoWIFI and HD call audio is all working on my OnePlus 7 Pro which I didn't even know was a thing because it was just never there with Cricket.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Had cricket before and coverage was good but no wifi calling. I was very happy with mint at home especially the easy wifi text and calling just sadly they didn't have good service in the places I regularly traveled like the long stretches of road between large cities in VA. Since switched to ATT proper for some higher speeds they hosed me on wifi calling and I miss it (also google voicemail doesn't work)

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I've heard AT&T nvmo's are a lot more reliable the further you get away from larger population centers. Would have no problem recommending Cricket if that network works best.

I forgot I bought my Mint sim during a promotion, so my 3 months of 12GB is now actually 6 months with 15GB of data. Not bad for $75.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

ATT is at least the same deal as cricket. $300 for a year of 8GB plus hotspot plus 1 month of rollover but without the 8megabit cap. WiFi calling will supposedly work if you have a specific phone model.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
If anyone in your household qualifies you can get a free or very discounted smartphone plan.

https://www.fcc.gov/broadbandbenefit

I am getting a SIM card through Safelink which is giving eligible people unlimited plans. I believe they’re owned by Tracfone.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Generally satisfied with my download speeds on Mint.

:devil:

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Mint is great so far

I purposefully drained my data down near the end of my first month to see how bad the 2G speeds are if I ever hosed up and went over 4GB

The good:

-2G hotspot is unlimited
-Browsing was fine
-The old rear end games I play online were fine if I didn't have to download much data
-Downloads were slow, but I lived through 56k so it wasn't unusable
-YouTube kind of works at 144p on hotspot if you let it buffer
-Uber looked like it was working fine
-Google apps all worked fine except Maps
-Facebook surprisingly was usable
-Twitter worked fast, but no images/videos
-Ping for gaming was decent (80ms)

The bad:

-Images take forever to load
-Streaming didn't work...at all (YouTube app/radio apps/Spotify) even at lowest quality
-Google Maps refused to acknowledge the connection other than the local map I had downloaded to the phone already - wouldn't let me get directions outside of the downloaded area
-Modern sites load but take loving forever/drop you down to a low bandwidth mode

So if I downloaded all my favorite music onto my phone, and downloaded all the maps I needed for a trip beforehand onto my phone, I'd probably be fine

Not bad for $15!

MorrisBae fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 9, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Republic Wireless is being bought by Dish. Dish bought both Ting and Boost last year, so they seem to be pretty serious about expanding into the wireless arena.

https://www.engadget.com/dish-republic-wireless-181925418.html

I've been a happy Republic user for years now, and I'm not happy to see this. I haven't heard a whole lot of great things about Dish. Still, I'm going to stay with them and see where this goes. If it gets bad enough, I can always jump ship and go to Mint.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Visible looks pretty hard to beat, now that they've expanded the discount party size past 4 to keep a $25/mo rate. Any nasty surprises?

Even with congestion-throttling and a device limit on tethering, it sounds perfect for general prepaid smartphone service.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

sweart gliwere posted:

Visible looks pretty hard to beat, now that they've expanded the discount party size past 4 to keep a $25/mo rate. Any nasty surprises?

Even with congestion-throttling and a device limit on tethering, it sounds perfect for general prepaid smartphone service.

No international calling and I've heard the pings for gaming are high

Assuming they don't stop the Party Pay discount or cap the data at some point, it looks good

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

MorrisBae posted:

No international calling and I've heard the pings for gaming are high

Assuming they don't stop the Party Pay discount or cap the data at some point, it looks good

They did introduce Mexico and Canada calling. I usually got pings in the 100ms range.

Data prioritization in my mid-sized city metropolitan area was intense - you go somewhere where there's a large mass of people not on WiFi and I regularly was pulling sub-5mbps, usually around 1mbps or less. It was a struggle to get anything to work over data at all during the sub-megabit times. I get that that's not as much of an issue right now but it's something to watch out for.

Customer service is all chat based, they rigidly follow a script, and if something weird happens, be prepared for it to drag on endlessly.

Their service also seems to be more reliable on iPhones based on my casual observation of their subreddit. Do yourself a favor and don't get the garbage free or cheap Android phones they offer, they're apparently electronic waste being sold as phones. I was using an iPhone 11 and never had to cycle airplane mode or anything to get data like a lot of people talked about.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Edited to remove request for referral since I've used a goon's now.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 23, 2021

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Nitrousoxide posted:

Gonna give Mint a chance. If anyone wants to throw me their referral code.

fbuy.me/q9Atw

Enjoy!

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
I've been on the old TMobile prepaid nerd plan ($30 for 5gb data, 100 min talk) for like a decade now. Is there any reason not to switch to one of the modern TMobile Connect plans to save a couple bucks and never have to worry about minutes again? TMobile Connect seems like an obvious improvement in every area, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything before I cut ties with the nerd plan forever.

I'd consider Mint, but I need a separate payment receipt for each month that I can show my work for reimbursement purposes.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The nerd plan has a few benefits. Firstly it has Binge On which zero-rates some video and music streaming services (so they don't count against your data). Secondly the Connect plans have a hard cut off when you use up your data while the nerd plan just gets throttled. If you don't care about those then the Connect plan should be a straight upgrade.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Will Verizon-locked phones work with Visible? IIRC T-Mobile and Sprint and MetroPCS will work on T-Mobile phones (I might be wrong) and I've seen phones listed as AT&T/Cricket as well so I'm wondering if Verizon allows you to use their locked phones on the MVNOs they own.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

to see.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Will Verizon-locked phones work with Visible? IIRC T-Mobile and Sprint and MetroPCS will work on T-Mobile phones (I might be wrong) and I've seen phones listed as AT&T/Cricket as well so I'm wondering if Verizon allows you to use their locked phones on the MVNOs they own.
I believe so, assuming they're not blacklisted for non-payment. Verizon will automatically unlock their phones after 60 days of service after purchase, so assuming you fulfilled that requirement it should already be unlocked. You should be able to run an IMEI check on the Visible website for compatibility and ask the r/Visible subreddit if you want to be sure.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Unfortunately it seems that they don't have an IMEI check for iPhones, which is what I'm looking at getting as I miss my 1st generation SE, but their deals on iPhones right now are hot buttered rear end.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

to see.

drat, those are some terrible deals. I am actually using my 11 that I got from them and I want to say I got $200 off with a $100 gift card back in the day. I see they're doing $150 gift cards right now, but still.

Their "chose your own adventure" style BYOD check does instantly flag paid off Verizon iPhones as compatible, and eSIM ready if you're using an iPhone that has it, so that's something.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of a good unlocked phone for around 200 or so max? Preferably cheaper.

I've got a moto g7 and I'd like to keep near the same specs if not better.

Wireless charging would be nice, but isn't a deal breaker.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Got through my 3 month trial for mint and they actually emailed me suggesting I downgrade from the unlimited plan to the 10 gig plan because I used so little data.

I was not expecting the company to downsell me on their own product, but I'll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Anyone know of a good unlocked phone for around 200 or so max? Preferably cheaper.

I've got a moto g7 and I'd like to keep near the same specs if not better.

Wireless charging would be nice, but isn't a deal breaker.

I can't vouch for any of the current models, but if you stick to an Android One device, you will get a couple years of updates and hopefully less preinstalled crapware https://www.android.com/one/