Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bogus Adventure posted:

Insider information or outright lying tend to be the key elements for most securities regulations crimes. There's a reason why the SEC hasn't started going after people, or why financial newspapers/channels aren't screaming that this is illegal. They are whining because their vulture capitalist tactics have been turned on them. They are getting hoisted by their own petard. And it's hilarious.

Also, this interview with Chamath Palihapitiya is great:

https://vimeo.com/505481322
The interviewee is good but the interviewer seems to keep implying he's a dangerous rear end in a top hat misleading the public. Even though he hasn't told anyone to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

AFewBricksShy posted:

I am just happy that after reading about what happened with Gamestop, I can finally understand what is happening at the end of Trading Places. That confused the poo poo out of me for years.

When did the Secretary of Videogames make his announcement?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Khorne posted:

The interviewee is good but the interviewer seems to keep implying he's a dangerous rear end in a top hat misleading the public. Even though he hasn't told anyone to do anything.

Yeah. Chamath seems kind of meh as a person, but I like how he goes after the CNBC anchor. The argument against all of this seems to be "people shouldn't trade on the stock market because they might get screwed." Which is true, but has never stopped hedge funds from hurting people before.

Lol

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

AFewBricksShy posted:

I am just happy that after reading about what happened with Gamestop, I can finally understand what is happening at the end of Trading Places. That confused the poo poo out of me for years.

I think that's something different, someone posted a really good explanation of the ending in the "basic poo poo you don't understand" thread but I forgot it because I have poo poo for brains.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Checking out bb gme nakd amc on Twitter there are a lot of people begging people to buy these stock’s. The great 2021 reddit swindle

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Olewithmilk posted:

I think that's something different, someone posted a really good explanation of the ending in the "basic poo poo you don't understand" thread but I forgot it because I have poo poo for brains.

Donkey and Ray Stantz intercepted the SecAg report, and changed it to say, "lol OJ is hosed" from "OJ is fine"

The Dukes were hoping to buy low and sell high after the SecAg said, "lol OJ is hosed". So they started buying as much as possible the moment the market opened in an attempt to corner the market.

Donkey and Ray Stantz did the opposite. They started selling stock they didn't yet have when the price was really high (thanks to the Dukes driving up the price). Then after SecAg said "OJ is fine", the price plummeted as everyone realized there would be no shortage of OJ. Then when the price was really low, Donkey and Stantz started buying stock to cover their earlier sales.

So they sold high and bought low to cover those sales. The Dukes bought high and could only sell low.

No actual value was added to the American economy, it's just legalized gambling. Though their insider trading was not legal.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Thats the one, thank you.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

It's not quite that but it's really close. Stuff has changed since the 80s.

Gods, now I gotta watch Trading Places.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

"merry new year! AHHAhahahaHa!"

Burns
May 10, 2008

Have any brokers splatted on the sidewalk yet??

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It's such a great movie, gorilla rape aside. I love all the nods they give to The Marriage of Figaro.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Burns posted:

Have any brokers splatted on the sidewalk yet??

The shorts are mostly due Friday iirc. Check then

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/LaurenWitzkeDE/status/1354890848270503938
:qq:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Bogus Adventure posted:

Insider information or outright lying tend to be the key elements for most securities regulations crimes. There's a reason why the SEC hasn't started going after people, or why financial newspapers/channels aren't screaming that this is illegal. They are whining because their vulture capitalist tactics have been turned on them. They are getting hoisted by their own petard. And it's hilarious.

Also, this interview with Chamath Palihapitiya is great:

https://vimeo.com/505481322

Thank you for posting this. It was dead-on and I'm really glad he didn't get sucked into the host's concern trolling. None of those jackals have ever given a poo poo about retail investors taking losses

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Speculation is not the same thing as investing, my dudes

someone give this nerd a wedgie

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Quit that crying old man. Pick yourself up by your bootstraps

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
In for 10k and holding. Good luck dudes.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

You must be loving kidding me.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Honestly this whole thing is incredible. I love how wall street types are completely abhorred that the poors are taking the very weapon they use to and turning it against them. And now that they're losing at the game with the rules they made they're furious.

I honestly laughed for a good 10 minutes straight when hearing about this.

edit:
Here is the guy who did the research and figured out Gamestop was undervalued and being over shorted. "DeepFuckingValue"

This guy lost $15M today.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Am I correct in thinking Reddit could’ve saved Toys R Us when they slashed and burned that company a couple of years ago?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ruddiger posted:

Am I correct in thinking Reddit could’ve saved Toys R Us when they slashed and burned that company a couple of years ago?

Huge maybe but likely not. That isn't really the case here.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
watch biden bail out the hedge fund managers and start a class war lol

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Pawn 17 posted:

This guy lost $15M today.

And is still up 30 something million dollars. He's doing fine.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

ruddiger posted:

I'm not sure about that... After the 2007 recession Toys 'R Us was in hock to a private equity firm that set them up on a ruinous, unsustainable payment schedule. When the decade-long terms of the deal expired, Toys 'R Us couldn't pay the remaining money they owed, and the business still responsible for selling 20% of American toys at that time was liquidated. They call it vulture capitalism for a reason.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

ruddiger posted:

They already saved AMC, the company issued a ton of new shares like yesterday or so and between the funding they secured before all this poo poo and this new capital raise that took advantage of the stock price surge, they will be around for a long time.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

The best reply to this fat slobbering rear end clown is "they don't".

You create a neat little system that automatically fucks people for so long it becomes normal and you're used to it. Then suddenly technology and human ingenuity kick your rear end with mathmagic and you don't even actually have to sell any of your yachts yet and you're slobbering all over TV with no shame thinking you do not look like a rear end in a top hat.

One of my coworkers was responding defending Melvin capital about how a bunch of people were going to lose a bunch of money, and the guy just said "name one", no one gives a gently caress...

This whole thing has to be a psyop attack in response to US loving with Russia poo poo the minute Trump bailed. I wonder how them owning like 99% of our cybersecurity checks is gonna play out in all this.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

:yarg: :piss: :gary:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I wanted to buy meme stocks yesterday but the UK trading app won't process my verification so I guess dodged a bullet there (was intending to drop a g on AMC/BB).

That being said, I am astonished by the number of people thinking that the bigs at Wall Street are not capable of doing what they exactly did. They can do much, much worse.

"B-b-b-b-b that's not legal/ethical/nice :qq:" is like some extreme levels of being divorced from reality.

I am not well versed in the American justice system but I can only imagine an army of lawyers, analysts, and media backing of hedge funds and apps already covered everyone's bases so hard that all the pitchfork and torch crowd might just have to take it like a boss. It feels like that Game of Thrones episode, "They know full well of the consequences of their actions and still did it, it means they are not intending to face those consequences"

The unending tears from hedge funders and their media lackeys are the most :discourse: thing that came out of this thing. Kudos to people who got in early and left in time to enjoy their tendies, the BFC thread was quite helpful to curb my FOMO and make me consider blowing my money.

What are the chances of seeing more billionaire tears and people (again, billionaire lizards, not actual people) getting jailed for real in this situation?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Thank you for posting this. It was dead-on and I'm really glad he didn't get sucked into the host's concern trolling. None of those jackals have ever given a poo poo about retail investors taking losses

:tipshat:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

ruddiger posted:

It's not like the company see any money from there trades. A higher stock price might have let them raise more money with loans but not much else.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Lol

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Donkey and Ray Stantz intercepted the SecAg report, and changed it to say, "lol OJ is hosed" from "OJ is fine"

The Dukes were hoping to buy low and sell high after the SecAg said, "lol OJ is hosed". So they started buying as much as possible the moment the market opened in an attempt to corner the market.

Donkey and Ray Stantz did the opposite. They started selling stock they didn't yet have when the price was really high (thanks to the Dukes driving up the price). Then after SecAg said "OJ is fine", the price plummeted as everyone realized there would be no shortage of OJ. Then when the price was really low, Donkey and Stantz started buying stock to cover their earlier sales.

So they sold high and bought low to cover those sales. The Dukes bought high and could only sell low.

No actual value was added to the American economy, it's just legalized gambling. Though their insider trading was not legal.

You are allowed to sell stock you don't yet own?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
You borrow stock from someone else and sell it. Then at a later date you purchase the same amount of stock and return it. If the stock price has fallen you get to keep the difference. If i has instead gone up you eat the difference as a loss. It's a process called shorting.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

That vid's like two years old and the poster is a nazi. This post got me excited and then ruined all my dreams.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

PoPcornTG posted:

You are allowed to sell stock you don't yet own?

It is no longer allowed

It is still done and almost certainly was done with GameStop stock

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

eSports Chaebol posted:

It is no longer allowed

It is still done and almost certainly was done with GameStop stock

What's no longer allowed is selling stock you don't own and haven't bothered to borrow. If you do borrow the stock before selling it, that is allowed.

People still absolutely did the no longer allowed 'sell stock you haven't even bothered to borrow' in the case of gamestop though, yeah.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

reignonyourparade posted:

What's no longer allowed is selling stock you don't own and haven't bothered to borrow. If you do borrow the stock before selling it, that is allowed.

People still absolutely did the no longer allowed 'sell stock you haven't even bothered to borrow' in the case of gamestop though, yeah.

This seems very metaphysical

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMIyDf3gBoY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]