Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rynex posted:

Sorry but the moral of the Robin Hood story was that it requires the rich to stay rich so that the titular hero could keep taking from them and give to the poor.

Once the poor work out that they can be Robin Hood too, well... then it just becomes problematic.

the OG robin hood folktales were about a band of ne'er-do-wells loving with the local lawman, with no politics involved

by reimagining robin hood as a disenfranchised nobleman and making Prince John the antagonist, the modern version of robin hood is actually now about a member of the elite ruling class fighting to secure his hereditary privilege against a reformer bent on populist wealth redistribution (admittedly accidental, John only wanted to tax the rich because the poor were out of money)

so the app name is completely in line with the modern, pro-establishment version of the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I have 9100 dogecoins.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

P sure in Trading Places they were trading in futures contracts not stocks.

As I understand it, Winthorpe and Valentine where basically selling contracts where they are promising to sell OJ at $1.42/lb. The other traders (including the dukes) think the prices will be even higher, so they agree to buy OJ from Winthorpe and Valentine at $1.42. The real crop report comes out and the price of OJ tanks. Later Winthorpe and Valentine start buying contracts allowing them to buy OJ for $0.29. So they can buy at 29 cents and sell at $1.42 making them rich.

The Dukes on the other hand now have to buy OJ at $1.42 and sell it at 29 cents.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I'm looking forward to goons being wrong about this, like bitcoin and pretty much everything else they post about.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

satanic splash-back posted:

I'm looking forward to goons being wrong about this, like bitcoin and pretty much everything else they post about.

What's there to be wrong about? It already happened

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
still mad i only got enough bitcoin to get a fake ron paul check i didnt get before writing the whole thing of as a scam for idiots but it turns out plenty of idiots could scam themselves some profit along the way from bigger idiots until the real idiots are the ones who never got into the scam at all

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Just got an e-mail from Robinhood saying they'll open up trading again tomorrow but in a limited capacity so it seems like they're stuck between a rock and a hedge funder on this one.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Lol that one of these apps are going to one day allow people to Goonswarm the stock market

lmao

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Bogus Adventure posted:

Lol that one of these apps are going to one day allow people to Goonswarm the stock market

lmao

going to?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

It's close, but RH has pulled the plug on GameStonk trading.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

https://twitter.com/justinkan/status/1354853920762253315

Seems uh, extremely illegal if true. But also the kind of illegal that will never face any real consequence legally so, y'know, hold the line.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

I need something explained to me:

The hedge fund shorted the stock again after the price went up, right? So even if the first set of shorts are a loss, won't they stand to make a lot of money when the second set are due and the price has collapsed?

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN AN EXCITING BUISNESS OPPROTUNITY?
Elon tweeted a doge meme, the new pump is crypto you guys. doge up 16.5% in an hour, 285% today.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

satanic splash-back posted:

Wrong about what? This is running commentary on something that already happened. No one has said anything to be wrong about.

Goons aren't wrong about bitcoin or cryptocurrency as it exists today from a "is this actually useful" and "will this ever be used as currency" perspective. It is absolutely useless garbage propped up by tech illiteracy, ideology, greed, and naivety. At any given moment bitcoin could realize its true value: $0. Will it in our lifetimes? I don't know.

Bitcoin did make me feel more comfortable speculating on certain things that aren't fundamentally sound. Crypto showed that a certain type of person will throw money at nothing and that even institutional investors will gamble on something worthless.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 29, 2021

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Mr_Companie posted:

Elon tweeted a doge meme, the new pump is crypto you guys. doge up 16.5% in an hour, 200% today.

If Elon is tweeting about stonks and dogecoins, who is designing a death trap tunnel under LA????

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

CheeseThief posted:

The hedge fund shorted the stock again after the price went up, right? So even if the first set of shorts are a loss, won't they stand to make a lot of money when the second set are due and the price has collapsed?

Yes, supposing that the price does collapse by that time. Reddit needs to HODL now.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Oh poo poo yeah my doge is going up!!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Galewolf posted:

If Elon is tweeting about stonks and dogecoins, who is designing a death trap tunnel under LA????

The same guy who designed the exits from the back seats in the Teslas in the event of a power failure.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I spent exactly the amount of money i would personally find hilarious to have lost on an imaginary dog coin. From here there are only positive outcomes

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

CheeseThief posted:

Yes but this was after removing RH users' ability to purchase GME.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Ignite Memories posted:

I spent exactly the amount of money i would personally find hilarious to have lost on an imaginary dog coin. From here there are only positive outcomes

$420.69?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
America. Do not bail these fuckers out. Lets go all the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-tYprm1WRo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
is there any share i can buy for 10 or 20 bucks and then like 15 years later i can cash sell it to have enough money to buy a house in 2036?

ten or twen bucks total for one share, i don't want to be worrying about remembering more than one share of stock market for 15 goddamn years

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Dear Watson posted:

Oh poo poo yeah my doge is going up!!

we are going to be rich my dude

Mr_Companie
Jul 4, 2003

ARE YOU INTERESTED IN AN EXCITING BUISNESS OPPROTUNITY?

It's beautiful.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Khanstant posted:

is there any share i can buy for 10 or 20 bucks and then like 15 years later i can cash sell it to have enough money to buy a house in 2036?

ten or twen bucks total for one share, i don't want to be worrying about remembering more than one share of stock market for 15 goddamn years

Taco Bell duh they're gonna win the war and own all food industry

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

Yum Brands, owner of Taco Bell among other fast food joints is at $102.53
:goonsay:

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
That’s too much. Doge is like 2 cents, way more manageable

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Take triple your investment out now and hold the line and see how it plays out, is my advice!

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Straight White Shark posted:

so the app name is completely in line with the modern, pro-establishment version of the story

Well gently caress, you're right.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Khorne posted:

Wrong about what? This is running commentary on something that already happened. No one has said anything to be wrong about.

Goons aren't wrong about bitcoin or cryptocurrency as it exists today from a "is this actually useful" and "will this ever be used as currency" perspective. It is absolutely useless garbage propped up by tech illiteracy, ideology, greed, and naivety. At any given moment bitcoin could realize its true value: $0. Will it in our lifetimes? I don't know.

Wrong in that everyone in the original bitcoin threads made fun of them and said anyone buying them or mining them was wasting their money & time.

Doesn't matter that bitcoin is essentially useless, goons were still wrong about it being dumb to buy them.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Apparently AOC is going to be on Twitch at 8:30 with Chamath Palihapitiya (from that CNBC interview) and some other people.

Edit:
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1354927288245231618

itry fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 29, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

hate to break it to you but I'm never giving them my business again after the outrageous price increase of bean burritos with extra onion. as others rise up to do the same, might want to start selling off your yum stock now before the dominoes come toppling down.

never get greedy with bean burritos, it never pays out

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Wrong in that everyone in the original bitcoin threads made fun of them and said anyone buying them or mining them was wasting their money & time.

Doesn't matter that bitcoin is essentially useless, goons were still wrong about it being dumb to buy them.

Kinda? Plenty of people still lost their shirts on it along the way.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the only lore i know about jeffrey is that he is some sort of bitcoin millionaire and he's pretty much the Ur Goon now, right?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

My 69 portfolio is all hills and valleys, or should I say heads and tails.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Clearly, the solution is for SA to make our own Awful Day Trading app. :v: :stonks: :j:

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Given that you can have them stolen or you may simply lose them (20% of all the bitcoins that have ever been mined are lost) if you forget your private key, and you have no recourse should either occur. it still seems pretty dumb to buy them regardless of their price. :shrug:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

mikemil828 posted:

Given that you can have them stolen or you may simply lose them (20% of all the bitcoins that have ever been mined are lost) if you forget your private key, and you have no recourse should either occur. it still seems pretty dumb to buy them regardless of their price. :shrug:

You don't need to own or even touch a bitcoin to invest in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
You can make money off bitcoin, but no one is sure why.