Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

TheHan posted:

She understands english perfectly.

Women are simply not allowed to have names here, are they? Ink Witch knows this and so she avoided mentioning her name, but Corpse Bride didn't, so now Eldritch horrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I can't believe Snout is getting a literal loving speech bubble. God loving dammit no dialogue.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

yeah actually they will posted:

I think he definitely has a name

Oh, so he does. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Why is the Ink Witch suddenly wearing a hat?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Because Mookie forgot she wasn't wearing a hat.

This isn't a joke answer.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Invisible Clergy posted:

They're both based on Mrs. Mookie and modeled after her. She's the only woman he's in regular contact with since he had to stop perving on burlesque models when the troupes he used to announce for threw him out for being too creepy. Consequently, she's probably the only woman he can get to model for him.

Wait, hang on, WHAT.

I mean it's less and less surprising the more I think about it, but do you have a source/more info on this?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hello, I'm a Person with Job. What's your name?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

oh no, more necromantic vines

what the gently caress are necromantic vines

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Zerilan posted:

I can't remember that happens to racist knight character for poo poo, but 50/50 it's either "Celesto explodes him for being an rear end in a top hat once to Dominic" or "he's repentant later and his racism was all Siggy's fault somehow." Wild card option: both.

I don't think we ever see him again. He does look pretty much identical to Brett Taggarty, who is killed by Celesto for being a domestic abuser and JOCK, so that's probably what what you're thinking of.

Breetai posted:

Wait, hang on, WHAT.

I mean it's less and less surprising the more I think about it, but do you have a source/more info on this?
He spoke about it in reasonable detail in the blog posts that accompanied each strip on the old version of the deegan site, so the comments may be lost to the sands of time. The upshot is he used to orbit a couple of circles of steampunk burlesque models and attached himself as the announcer for their shows so he could have women to photograph in bathtubs with fake blood all over them for his deviantart channel/personal masturbation files that he stored on the deegan site in an unprotected folder. Eventually, the women who were models in these shows compared notes about him being a sex pest and they told him to get lost. There may be some information about this on his deviantart page, but I strongly advise against going there since it's all just photos of naked, bloody women pretending to be dead.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I remember Goons finding his hosted spankbank, and I remember him advertising burlesque stuff a lot, but I have no recollection of Mookie ever being outed like that IRL or whatever. I thought he was, unlike Buckley, someone who's issues were entirely confined to their words and 'art' and don't recall ever hearing anything about him behaving badly in actual real life.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

As i recall it was just a general image folder. Like you delete the filename off some site thing and here you are, a big unorganized pile which has the bloody bathtub pictures in it. Very little detective work needed to find them.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I remember Goons finding his hosted spankbank, and I remember him advertising burlesque stuff a lot, but I have no recollection of Mookie ever being outed like that IRL or whatever. I thought he was, unlike Buckley, someone who's issues were entirely confined to their words and 'art' and don't recall ever hearing anything about him behaving badly in actual real life.

We do know from existing blog posts on the Star Power blog that he was ousted from the burlesque community because a bunch of them turned against him. I'm not sure if the specific circumstances mentioned above were just conclusions goons came to or something actually detailed by him or others, though.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Maybe his emceeing was poorly paced, had too much alliteration, and referenced jocks too much?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Nothing super detailed in his blog posts, but the end was described as "abrupt" and impacted his self esteem, so I could see how it could be read as him crossing a line somewhere.

Mookie posted:

I’ve been battling a bad case of depression for the past few weeks now. This latest and lengthy bout with depression comes from a singular source, and I’m finally ready to speak about it: My working relationship with The Slaughterhouse Sweethearts recently came to an abrupt end.

Mookie posted:

I’ve been seriously down-in-the-dumps since my dismissal from the burlesque troupe I was a part of. It unearthed a lot of self-esteem issues that I’ve struggled with for years, triggering a two-month bout of depression that made me feel “absent” from October, my favorite month and host to my favorite holiday.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 29, 2021

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Billy Gnosis posted:

Maybe his emceeing was poorly paced, had too much alliteration, and referenced jocks too much?

for real though, mookie as an announcer would be like dennis miller commentating football. way too into making himself the star with his ~clever wit~

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Invisible Clergy posted:

I don't think we ever see him again. He does look pretty much identical to Brett Taggarty, who is killed by Celesto for being a domestic abuser and JOCK, so that's probably what what you're thinking of.

Zereth posted:

You forgot "never appears again". I don't think the guy has a name.

NOT SO, he actually does undergo a redemption arc and becomes a semi-important character during the March Across Maltak. He has an orc love interest and everything.

I don't remember the details intimately but I'm pretty sure it's something like "Dominic's prediction for him shook him up so much he reevaluated his life."

Riot Bus fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 29, 2021

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

gently caress. In the decade or so since I read this, I have forgotten a few ancillary characters like this. Good catch.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Riot Bus posted:

NOT SO, he actually does undergo a redemption arc and becomes a semi-important character during the March Across Maltak. He has an orc love interest and everything.

I don't remember the details intimately but I'm pretty sure it's something like "Dominic's prediction for him shook him up so much he reevaluated his life."

See, that could have actually made for something of a decent central dynamic, at least to start with: Dominic acts like a crotchety rear end in a top hat to whoever approaches him for a reading, but past that front, he really is trying to reshape them into better people by telling them the hard, uncomfortable truths about what unpleasant fates their current behavior will lead them towards.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Regalingualius posted:

See, that could have actually made for something of a decent central dynamic, at least to start with: Dominic acts like a crotchety rear end in a top hat to whoever approaches him for a reading, but past that front, he really is trying to reshape them into better people by telling them the hard, uncomfortable truths about what unpleasant fates their current behavior will lead them towards.

In my opinion you'd need to make him not the constant viewpoint character for that, or you'd have to show his reasoning and his effort and show him failing sometimes.

A comic about someone who has prophetic powers, but is struggling to tell people prophecies in ways that will improve them as people, would be pretty fascinating. Maybe even structure it around individual cases, almost like a reverse murder mystery: The oracle sees various futures and relevant information, maybe talks to friends and other knowledgeable people to put it all together, then has to find a way to act on that information to get the best possible outcomes. You can have his rival, another oracle, be an rear end in a top hat for just telling people what they want to know - he gets better paid and his clients often go on to become worse.

But, y'know, that would require a basic degree of theory of mind about other people to write.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I do think that the idea of having a seer/oracle as main POV has a lot of really interesting potential. Back in the days of yore I actually took inspiration from Dominic Deegan to try writing my own story with that set up. Not gonna say it was substantially better since I was a kid, but as a concept, it's always stuck with me.

I think Dominic Deegan's primary weakness in execution is that Mookie feels the compulsive need to pad out Dominic's abilities with miscellaneous OP psionics, centers the story around him naturally being the most important person in the universe, and puts very little effort into playing with interesting cause and effect.

Also the fact that Dominic can't ever be wrong. A seer flexing their abilities to manipulate people innately has moral gray to it, but Mookie seems unwilling to explore that.

Also all the weird bigotry fetishization. But that's unrelated to seers.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
What's a good fantasy story with a seer or an oracle as the protagonist?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

toanoradian posted:

The Chronicles of Prydain if you count Hen Wen

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I'd say Re: Zero could count. The protag isn't a seer, instead he loops back to set points in time when he dies, but functionally it's being able to experience the future and different possible timelines...just with all the physical restrictions that living through it entails: feeling pain, the limitations of your own senses and movement. But it's still ultimately about looking at different futures and trying to figure out how to get to the best one.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Riot Bus posted:

Why is the Ink Witch suddenly wearing a hat?

the author has yet to develop object permanence

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Geez, he worked with Slaughterhouse? For the past few years they'd had a residency of sorts at the theater I worked at, a monthly movie-with-burlesque-preshow thing from spring to fall, until COVID shut us all down. They're a good group, very body and gender positive, and super protective of each other, so I'm not surprised if they gave him the boot just as soon as they put two and two together.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008

toanoradian posted:

Next, starring Nic Cage

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
So that piece of paper is just writing what the Ink Witch is saying right? No dialogue.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Look, it only counts as dialogue if it's text in a word bubble.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Who has less of a snout than Deegan, too.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

toanoradian posted:

Alex Verus.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

toanoradian posted:

Dune if you count it as fantasy.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Dune if you count it as fantasy.

Tolkien said Sci-Fi is basically the same thing so of course that counts.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Maxwell Lord posted:

Roleplaying Larry posted:

Next, starring Nic Cage

Avalerion posted:

Alex Verus.

Thanks for the recommendation, everyone, I'll add Prydain and Verus to my reading list.

GrossMurpel posted:

Tolkien said Sci-Fi is basically the same thing so of course that counts.

What did Tolkien say about isekai

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

toanoradian posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, everyone, I'll add Prydain and Verus to my reading list.

I've heard good things about Verus and as I think was touched on earlier in the thread their author, Benedict Jacka, is a very nice guy who also hates this comic.

Well Tolkien spent his whole life and much of his posthumous career coming up with ancillary material for a masturbatory pastoral fantasy, so I feel like he'd be into it.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

toanoradian posted:

I think he called it sugoi.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm starting to get the sense that corpsemommy understands and can speak Ink Witch's language? Which is weird and pretty much destroys the interesting aspect I thought Mookie was building up (a deaf character paired with a mute/non-verbal/illiterate character, and their struggles to communicate).

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 31, 2021

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
That would imply the existence of both an interesting concept and a non-immediately-resolvable conflict that affects the main character.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The low angles in panels 3 and 4 are pretty good. I don't think the perspective on the Ink Witch's arm is right, but it's more visually interesting than anything else mookie's done for this comic so far.

I also want it noted for the record that I almost typed "snout" instead of "mookie" there.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
So, er... Not going to acknowledge the eldritch horror with anything more than a shrug? Just beam everybody, including the possible monstrosity, into the ship? Guess they'll continue the discussion inside the white void that will be the ship's interior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

YF-23 posted:

The low angles in panels 3 and 4 are pretty good. I don't think the perspective on the Ink Witch's arm is right, but it's more visually interesting than anything else mookie's done for this comic so far.

Anytime you see the art style shift like that and Mookie trying a new perspective you can bet on it being traced.