Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Oldstench posted:

If I agree to help Freedom kill the Duty squad at the farmstead, will I be unable to use the Bar anymore?

Also whoa! I'm Strelok? Who could have seen that coming? :)

you can also accept the quest to kill the duty people with freedom, but as long as you don't actually shoot any of the duty people they won't become hostile to you. the freedom squad should be able to handle them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
I think you can also avoid duty reprisals if you squeal to Voronin (sp?) in the duty base about Skull’s plan before joining either side.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Roobanguy posted:

you can also accept the quest to kill the duty people with freedom, but as long as you don't actually shoot any of the duty people they won't become hostile to you. the freedom squad should be able to handle them.

I will never not do this mission without the ability to carry gas tanks. Gotta blamelessly soften them up first!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Just finished and got the "good" ending. Was not a fan of the Monolith gauntlet at all. Good game though.

CoP next I think.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Oldstench posted:

Just finished and got the "good" ending. Was not a fan of the Monolith gauntlet at all. Good game though.

CoP next I think.

after that i highly recommend you at least check out call of chernobyl, but id recommend Anomaly. much more nuanced and survivalist. im surprised you havent played these games haha :)

also if youre playing CoP you can use the gunslinger mod, which i would HIGHLY recommend. it adds some guns and makes Everything Very Fancy

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

sea of losers posted:

also if youre playing CoP you can use the gunslinger mod, which i would HIGHLY recommend. it adds some guns and makes Everything Very Fancy

It will make you lament that it hasn't been ported to any other mod though

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I got tired of losing characters in Anomaly ironman so I'm playing a non iron man run and having a great time. So far I've got a mosin nagant, a shotgun, and 0 idea how the crafting system works. I found my second artifact in the wild yesterday and was very proud even though I died twice to get it.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Anomaly is pretty cool but it seems like the crafting system really depends on you finding the right objects, if you can't find basic tools in the beginning it's going to make it a lot harder since you won't be able to craft stuff like better backpacks.

Does anyone know which of the armors/artifacts in Anomaly are actually worth using?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Really don't bother with the artifacts until you can find the high tier ones and have upgraded containers. A better use of slots are the utility items you can buy from traders such as camelbacks and titanium grids, especially the upgraded versions that eventually become available. They give a great bang for your buck increase in stamina and carry weight that gives all but the highest tier artifacts a run for their money, without major downsides or worry about radiation/containers. Even the high tier carry weight increase artifacts that give as much additional capacity of an improved titanium grid when you take into account the weight of the container, for instance.

I personally roll with a camelback and then all titanium grids for the rest of my slots, then u carry a healing and bleed control artifact in my inventory which I'll pop on whenever I need after a battle.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Also, armor wise, early on I just constantly scavenge whatever armor that's in good condition/has better stats than what I'm wearing and keep exchanging it as my old one gets beat up. A good early suit to scavenge is an NBC suit which has good increase to carry weight capacity.

Save all your bottles of vodka and head over to Yantar because one of the sellers there will trade gear for booze, including a decent-ish armored suit that will tide you over for a while.

Really the problem with armor (and generally itemization overall in Anomaly) is that the good stuff is locked behind both faction rep and finding tools so techs can upgrade. Which means that better stuff like SEVA suits with the full array of environmental protection or exoskeletons capable of sprint can take a long time to show up.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I like wearing a pseudogiant hide (buff to ALL armor stats) and a bunch of body coolers (heat reduction and massive energy boost).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unless they changed it you can also often grab a sphere helmet early on off military guys and fix it with a helmet repair kit because helmet repair kits can fix really broken helmets. And a good helmet really helps with a bunch of environmental protection.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

sea of losers posted:

after that i highly recommend you at least check out call of chernobyl, but id recommend Anomaly. much more nuanced and survivalist. im surprised you havent played these games haha :)

I did play SoC way back in the day before mods fixed a lot of stuff and on a computer that could barely handle it. I remember something happening that kept me from continuing the story so I just gave up and didn't play it again until just now.

sea of losers posted:

Is gunslinger good for a first playthrough of CoP or does it break modify the game somehow so it's a completely different experience?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Gunslinger is completely stock mechanics but with modern animations and meshes for the guns. It's nice as of the latest beta on moddb. What you see in the videos is basically what you get.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Roobanguy posted:

sometimes.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Hey, either way, free poo poo

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I installed the Anomaly mod today, and it's (like many mods for stalker) a little short on explanation. Or perhaps something went weird in my settings. Do you need an upgraded detector to force visibility on certain anomalies or something? I tried taking the electric Anomaly tunnel in cordon and I can't actually see them anywhere in the tunnel.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Synnr posted:

I installed the Anomaly mod today, and it's (like many mods for stalker) a little short on explanation. Or perhaps something went weird in my settings. Do you need an upgraded detector to force visibility on certain anomalies or something? I tried taking the electric Anomaly tunnel in cordon and I can't actually see them anywhere in the tunnel.

iirc there are no electric anomalies in the tunnel, instead burnt fuzz. Anomalies should show up but the artifacts require better detectors to see.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Yeah the tunnel in Cordon used to be full of electric anomalies in the base games but in Anomaly it just has burnt fuzz so it's way easier to navigate.

I also know from experience that you can sometimes find a Battery artifact (usually in the concrete tube thing) with just a simple Bear detector (detector upgrades will let you find rarer artifacts, they don't help you physically see anomalies in the world though the higher tier detectors have screens which will show them as blips).

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Ah so they just... didn't change the little name and pop up text for the tunnel, then. I ended up slamming my face into the bridge camp until I killed the lot instead. It's a little weird having my exploits being broadcast over the radio.

Also Goddamn everything is expensive. I jacked an "okay" exosuit from some bandit pricks and chucked a decent armor/helmet set that needs repairing once I figure that out into a storage bin.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Anomaly just hit version 1.5.1, which includes the 3D modeled PDA and some other various improvements. Might try it to see if it runs better, but honestly I ran so many mods on top of that mod that I might wait until my preferred changes catch up before playing it again.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I've had access to 1.5.1 for a few days and dx11 performance is a wild improvement over 1.5.0. Thoroughly recommended.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I just got 151, after, I dunno, maybe 2 years of not messing with anomaly, got some updated mods for it too, but anyone recall the good weapon pack?
my tribute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU5OHDwwYwE

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Boomsticks and Sharpsticks is the usual recommendation. Might need compatibility patches. Some come bundled with it.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Some of the weapon mods break poo poo. I remember there's one that adds a huge variety of shotgun shell types (which is cool) but also makes all of those shotgun shell types waaaay overpowered (which is bad). For me the big anomaly plugins were ones that made stuff like inventory easier to manage, cut out some of the bullshit clutter, and fixed some AI and monster behaviors, like everything being totally silent.

I could go for a new playthrough tho, especially if it runs better.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Hasn't been any major updates to GUNSLINGER, there's an anim and model for eating bread now.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

communism bitch posted:

I've had access to 1.5.1 for a few days and dx11 performance is a wild improvement over 1.5.0. Thoroughly recommended.

The performance gain for me has been incredible. I turned on all the fancier graphics setting and it runs without a hitch. Load times have been faster as well.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
1.5.1 seems interesting, though I thought it was backwards compatible to saves (maybe it is and I just didn't do something right), but I started a new game with am actual name this time, but still loner. I didn't realize that was an option the first time.

Does the zone seem kind of empty to anyone else? There's a lot of various folks not around like I expected. The bridge path in cordon didn't have any mercs at it for instance. Maybe the defaulted "offline" ai stuff hadn't filled it yet? I guess I'll see in garbage.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
They changed a couple of things around with this last update. I don't think the bridge/railroad spawns the military dude on overlook at the sniper perch in Cordon anymore. However, helicopters seem to patrol military bases now, even with helicopter patrols turned off in options (I've seen them hovering near the military bases in both Cordon and Agroprom at least). This is kind of cool since military bases were relatively easy to roll over once you got going.

Some other changes that I've noticed:

They reduced the type of bad ammo to just old ammo now. It's still annoying clutter to me so I'm waiting for an add-on to update that removes it entirely.

There's some new expanded options such as head bobbing slider and weapon zoom levels and the ability to adjust how many concurrent quests you can take on from a quest giver at any given time.

Mutants seem to be tweaked a little. Psydogs appear to generate psy-fields and not just create hallucinations of themselves. Controllers got an overcoat added to their model; the first time I saw one I thought it was just a bandit until he started to melt my brain.

Corpses have weight and collision now.

Companion AI pathing is better and worse. They seem to be less prone to getting in your way but also often glitch out at an unseen enemy or get stuck in place, forcing you to reload a save. The companion wheel menu is nice, though.

The game seems more optimized overall but I've been getting more crashes when 1.5 was fairly stable, albeit not as fast.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Finally got a copy of Roadside Picnic from the library, and I'm digging it so far. I love how ragged stalkers come out of the zone.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

moot the hopple posted:

They changed a couple of things around with this last update. I don't think the bridge/railroad spawns the military dude on overlook at the sniper perch in Cordon anymore.

I've had that guy show up a few times in 1.5.1. Managed to snag a sphere helmet from him and fix it up so now I've got some shiny high-end headgear to go with my rags and rusty shotgun.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'm holding out for a localization update for gunslinger, which should happen in roughly a decade.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

Synnr posted:

1.5.1 seems interesting, though I thought it was backwards compatible to saves (maybe it is and I just didn't do something right), but I started a new game with am actual name this time, but still loner. I didn't realize that was an option the first time.

Does the zone seem kind of empty to anyone else? There's a lot of various folks not around like I expected. The bridge path in cordon didn't have any mercs at it for instance. Maybe the defaulted "offline" ai stuff hadn't filled it yet? I guess I'll see in garbage.

I thought the same thing and saw that the default was .5 stalkers and .75 mutants. When I started it said like 430 people in the zone, and starting in Cordon was maybe groups of 2-3z

I got an Anomaly add-on pack tonight which I had to start a new game for (worth it, holy poo poo) and I bumped stalkers up to .75 to start. Immediately saw the difference, Elevator had some bandits scurrying about and raising hell, Farm had 5 stalkers chilling at the fire alone...so far this change has been gaming nirvana haha

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't played in years. Last playthrough was using MISERY mod and I absolutely loved the pacing and all the extra items and details they added. What are the good mods now days? I've seen "dead air (?)" and "anomaly" mentioned over the last few pages. Are those the main new ones to check out if I enjoyed MISERY?

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Fosson posted:

I thought the same thing and saw that the default was .5 stalkers and .75 mutants. When I started it said like 430 people in the zone, and starting in Cordon was maybe groups of 2-3z

I got an Anomaly add-on pack tonight which I had to start a new game for (worth it, holy poo poo) and I bumped stalkers up to .75 to start. Immediately saw the difference, Elevator had some bandits scurrying about and raising hell, Farm had 5 stalkers chilling at the fire alone...so far this change has been gaming nirvana haha

Which pack are you using? I've been using this one: https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/addons/nekros-addonpack. Will be sure to up the population modifier.

Also I was occasionally getting a crash where the AMD Radeon software would come up saying the driver timed out. This appears to have fixed it: https://www.reddit.com/r/stalker/comments/ks2h8m/stalker_anomaly_crash_amd/

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Holy poo poo weapons overhaul 2.2 looks great!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Fj7qOLXZg

Think I might need to start a new game with this.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

moot the hopple posted:

Some other changes that I've noticed:

They reduced the type of bad ammo to just old ammo now. It's still annoying clutter to me so I'm waiting for an add-on to update that removes it entirely.

the ability to adjust how many concurrent quests you can take on from a quest giver at any given time.

Mutants seem to be tweaked a little. Psydogs appear to generate psy-fields and not just create hallucinations of themselves. Controllers

The ammo I kind of noticed, but I was WONDERING what the hell the psy effect I kept dodging away from in the wild was. I definitely tweaked the quests up just so I didn't have to cross half the Zone to do one quest.

Fosson posted:

Maybe I need to tweak the population settings and start a new game, it says it takes awhile but I jacked it all the way up and not much has changed yet. It's so lonely out there...and so few dudes to murder for their equipment.

I'd also be interested in that modpack you grabbed, the only one I looked at was iffy and not updated yet.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Jarf posted:

Holy poo poo weapons overhaul 2.2 looks great!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Fj7qOLXZg

Think I might need to start a new game with this.

holy poo poo at this mod being 2x the size of anomaly + stand alone lol

Fosson posted:

what modpack

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 12, 2021

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I've not really looked at this aspect of the game, but is there any multiplayer coop where you can run through the campaigns? Even if only one player can interact with NPCs and you have to all transition through maps together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Nope..

Ray of hope is the closest thing but is still in development.