Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/BMarchetich/status/1354630691032428547

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I still maintain that natively speaking English causes brain damage

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

https://twitter.com/LaurenWitzkeDE/status/1354890848270503938

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:yeshaha:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

getting pretty sure the Dudes in Charge are planning to purposefully crater the stock market and blame it on the democrats

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

:sickos:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I still maintain that natively speaking English causes brain damage
it's true. language literally structures and wires the brain within thought-constructs of the linguistic framework. and english language is among the dumbest.

honestly if americans were actually better forced to be bilingual from an early-age it would greatly enhance and fix up brains because it does enhance thought and thinking. my one biggest regret is not doing that at a young age because being multi-lingual rules and now i'm far too dumb and rotted away to learn. i can barely remember english words/names as it is.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Xaris posted:

it's true. language literally structures and wires the brain within thought-constructs of the linguistic framework. and english language is among the dumbest.

honestly if americans were actually better forced to be bilingual from an early-age it would greatly enhance and fix up brains because it does enhance thought and thinking. my one biggest regret is not doing that at a young age because being multi-lingual rules and now i'm far too dumb and rotted away to learn. i can barely remember english words/names as it is.
If it's really that great then do it now anyway. Otherwise don't just complain that kids should be forced to do it but you shouldn't which is just loving lazy.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

we have mandatory bilingual education in canada where you learn french as a second language from like, grade 4 through 8, but there's also an option for parents to full-on throw their kids into French Immersion education where 50% of classes are taught in english and 50% are taught in french for all of elementary school

e: I only had the normal amount of french education plus another year in grade 9 and years later I remember enough french to guess what most stuff means and to say things like "sorry, I'm from Canada, my French isn't very good" and optionally "because Quebec speaks a bastard version of the language"

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 28, 2021

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Kazinsal posted:

we have mandatory bilingual education in canada where you learn french as a second language from like, grade 4 through 8, but there's also an option for parents to full-on throw their kids into French Immersion education where 50% of classes are taught in english and 50% are taught in french for all of elementary school
i did french immersion for grades 1-10, where all classes were in french, except english class

it's pretty handy

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
according to j-wep i don't speak french though because :canada:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

according to j-wep i don't speak french though because :canada:
stymie de la langue française

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I didn't do French immersion, just the normal grades 4-8 French, and it was a joke. each teacher started from scratch each year. would have retained more from extra recess.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Xaris posted:

ok so if english is the dumbest language what is the smartest language

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Kazinsal posted:

e: I only had the normal amount of french education plus another year in grade 9 and years later I remember enough french to guess what most stuff means and to say things like "sorry, I'm from Canada, my French isn't very good" and optionally "because Quebec speaks a bastard version of the language"

i was in french immersion in ontario for a few years, as well as receiving the normal french education, and while i can understand and read standard french, i can't get a lick of quebecois

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

:gizz:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

carry on then posted:

ok so if english is the dumbest language what is the smartest language
i'm gonna guess mandarin

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
obviously the answer is esperanto

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

a bunch of redditors zerg rushed wall st and wall st turned on their hax

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

infernal machines posted:

i was in french immersion in ontario for a few years, as well as receiving the normal french education, and while i can understand and read standard french, i can't get a lick of quebecois

they forked the french language in the 1600s and never backported any upstream fixes

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i only need three languages: u s and a

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/jenny2x4/status/1354874372662599680?s=21

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Man, those peasants sure are revoltin'!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Fabricated posted:

Man, those peasants sure are revoltin'!
You said it! They stink on ice

[Edit]NMN looks like the pissboy!

Ellie Crabcakes fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 29, 2021

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0iAcQVIokg&t=12s

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I'm just.... so happy seeing these people so upset. My god it's beautiful.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

shoeberto posted:

I'm just.... so happy seeing these people so upset. My god it's beautiful.

they will go home and slump in their $15000 lounge chair while nursing some $800 single malt staring blankly at a panoramic view of new york and learn nothing because it wasn't even their own money they were gambling

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

:yeshaha:

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i’m learning french rn and it’s a) ruining my italian and spanish and b) the most obnoxious grammar

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Xaris posted:

now i'm far too dumb and rotted away to learn. i can barely remember english words/names as it is.

i learned japanese in my thirties, it's a lot of work and you need native speakers to practice with daily, but it is definitely something that can still be done as an adult

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/jangelooff/status/1354846320494784515

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ahahaha!

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

did he really say that?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Roosevelt posted:

did he really say that?

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1354850858115211264

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

wow i would push that guy into a volcano to appease the gods. not just in minecraft

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

they’d probably be like “what the gently caress is this poo poo??? famine now!!”

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Roosevelt posted:

wow i would push that guy into a volcano to appease the gods. not just in minecraft
no gods no bastards

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/thenoelmiller/status/1354851870523576331?s=21

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stringent posted:

i learned japanese in my thirties, it's a lot of work and you need native speakers to practice with daily, but it is definitely something that can still be done as an adult

yeah ive got a friend who started learning chinese at age 34 and he’s doing pretty well at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I'm somewhat convinced that tomorrow there is a strong possibility that, because reddit users posted some rocket ship emojis and then elon musk said "gamestonk" on twitter, the entire financial system will collapse. It is just so believable that the elite wall street bankers learned in 2008 that they can get away with literally anything and somehow are now losing a bet they made so badly that they owe trillions of dollars