Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Skwirl posted:

That's a very badly written review from a website I've never heard of before.

Are you John Hedrick?

Okay

How Wonderful! posted:

Scout Comics did not ring a bell but I browsed their website real quick and they've done some things I've enjoyed or heard good things about. I like Kristen Gudsnuk and thought Henchgirl was a cute enough comic (although when I read it it was in a TPB put out by Dark Horse), the handful of issues of Heavenly Blues I read were a little boring but very pretty (although again I read them from a different publisher), and I believe there is at least one person on BSS who has posted interesting stuff about Phantom Starkiller. I don't see any reason to think that it's a Comicsgate publisher and from what little I could find about The Re-Count it certainly doesn't look like it's in support of Proud Boy types.

I'm not saying it looks good-- that initial blurb definitely made me roll my eyes, and it isn't on Comixology so I guess I'll never know if I actually like it or not-- but I think some of you are jumping the gun a bit.

They do have it digitally on their own site, which is super weird. Not even sure what format it's in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I read it earlier today and I didn't love it, but it looks like Jonathan Hedrick is pretty new to the medium and a lot of my issues were bits of awkwardness with pacing, panel structure, measuring out dialogue from one panel to the next, etc.. General issues of flow and elegance, little pieces of craft nit-picking etc.. I think it looked quite aside from, again, a certain stiltedness to the structure of each page and panel-to-panel flow. Gabriel Ibarra Nunez has a nice kind of sandy angular style vaguely reminiscent of Alex Maleev, which set a nice, slightly grimy tone, like a political thriller from the 70s.

It's funny that the handful of reviews I found pounced on the probably coincidental timeliness of the story because to me it felt downright retro in many ways, harkening back to precisely that craze for cynical, hard-edged movies about how the political sausage was made in the 70s. It isn't partisan and in fact that lack of partisanship made me roll my eyes a bit, but many of those movies, while born out of a largely progressive frustration and disillusionment with the system, were also a little bit politically agnostic. I also felt that the very rapid escalation of stakes deflated the tension a bit. I would have rather had it be about a slightly smaller crisis, this Praeotorian Guard revolt amongst the secret service and the personal danger to the vice president. Having these guys in clown makeup come on TV and say they're literally going to target people who voted for the dead president and that they've hacked this and that to get voter rolls felt like it pushed the plot over the edge into silliness.

So-- was this a great comic? Not really. However it was far from the worst comic I've read this year, and if it was a bit wishy-washy about its politics it also was definitely not, at this point, legible as an alt-right thing or dog-whistly in any way. That being said, I think that wishy-washiness is in itself a bit damning of the overall product. The guerilla group at work in the plot is kind of coded part Antifa, part Proud Boy, and part juggalo, and I guess even in their very blandly catholic name, "The Masses," they're supposed to stand in for a general violent malaise or civic discontent. The issue is that while the far-right and the far-left are both very active right now in street actions and demonstrations they are very very different groups with very very different agendas and very very very different means of working towards those agendas. I think that pending a crisper articulation of who this group is and what they want in future issues this ambiguity is going to start to be a bad look. However, I'd chalk that up to cluelessness rather than malice on the part of Hendrick.

I will say that as much as I think the initial accusations in this thread were a bit unfair, they were also not at all unexpected or out of left field. To pitch a book like this in 2020 I think the writer needs to know where he stands and to signal that clearly early on. Sharpness and specificity distinguish good political fiction from bad or mediocre political fiction, even if that specificity is more in nailing down a particular cultural mood than anything else. Right now I think that there's a blurriness and waveriness to the boundaries of what's going on in this story that just feels somewhat noncommittal. I don't think anyone right now is looking for noncommittal political fiction. What crimes was the dead president convicted of? What party was he a member of? What do "the Masses" want other than revenge, and how complicit is the VP in whatever went down? These are crucial questions for a story like this and while an in media res opening is a tried and true strategy I think deferring answers to them was a misstep, and the longer Hedrick goes without addressing them the more detached and cagey and unpersuasive the story is going to be.

Anyway, the art was nice and while Hedrick's scripting was, again, a little awkward, I think there's an appealing hook to the plot and I've seen many writers get a lot better very quickly when actually given an ongoing book to write.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 21, 2020

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I can't say I'm super familiar with Scout Comics, but I've read a handful of their series and some of them were really good! I particularly enjoyed Henchgirl and Electric Black.

So yeah, The Recount doesn't look amazing but it shouldn't be dismissed out of hand based on the publisher alone.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Was Mirror canceled or did it end on its own terms?

Edit: Also, does anyone know what the status of Isola is? Not sure if it's dead or just Covid'ed.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 24, 2020

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...
Oh hey there. In the spirit of Small Business Saturday, and enjoying independent/small press comics, I thought I’d share some of my favorite places to get good stuff from…

Spit and a Half – This legendary zine distro is run by John Porcellino (King Cat Comics) and has been around forever distributing comics and zines from a wide variety of creators. They’ve got an amazing selection of stuff to check out. If you're someone who wants to get started in reading small press books this is a great place to start.

Copacetic Comics – The online version of this Pittsburgh shop has a great selection of unique titles. Definitely check out their SALE section where you can get some amazing deals. I recently picked up the Treasury of Mini Comics volumes 1 & 2 for $18.

Floating World Comics – This publisher/distro has an incredible assortment of work by a variety of artists (Al Columbia, Mat Brinkman, Shintaro Kago) and also publishes All Time Comics which is a simultaneously a love letter to and deconstruction of super hero genre comics.

Desert Island – This New York shop is worth checking out solely for their publication Smoke Signal which recently evolved from a broadsheet anthology into a series of artists’ portfolios/monographs. Also, they’ve started a Mystery Mail subscription. Send them money and get…?????

Domino Books – Austin English’s one-man outfit distributes work by up-and-coming small press artists and also publishes the thoughtful critique/criticism magazine But is it… Comic Aht?

Breakdown Press – This UK based publisher produces gorgeously crafted books of amazing comics from a variety of artists like Dash Shaw, Shaky Kane, Jon Chandler… AND they’ve been publishing an impressive line-up of alternative manga titles (Ebisu Yoshikazu, Yokoyama Yuichi, Sasaki Maki).

Peow Studio - Sweden’s first Risograph print shop has morphed into a publisher of fun, vibrant titles. They’ve recently started up their first anthology book EX.

root fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 30, 2020

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I’m trying to find a paperback non-library edition of Volume 4 of horror anthology “Harrow County” for my wife and it’s impossible to track down. Anyone have any idea why? 1-3 and 5 are easy enough to find.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It seems like everything has low print runs these days and immediately becomes hard to find after a few months.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Nanigans posted:

I’m trying to find a paperback non-library edition of Volume 4 of horror anthology “Harrow County” for my wife and it’s impossible to track down. Anyone have any idea why? 1-3 and 5 are easy enough to find.

print runs decrease with each volume sadly..i have 3 or 4 series i got in late on where one volume cost more than the rest combined..usually it's volume 4 for me..Mind MGMT, promethea in tpb, always the drat 4. What ends up happening is anyone who isn't fast at release now has to pay 2-3x for the pleasure of an entire run. A fun one is absolute Transmetropolitan in 3 volumes...that third one came out as vertigo was being scrapped by at&t and average $300+..luckily they are reprinting those under black label so at some point in 2022 i should be able to finish that set..hopefully

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

zer0spunk posted:

print runs decrease with each volume sadly..i have 3 or 4 series i got in late on where one volume cost more than the rest combined..usually it's volume 4 for me..Mind MGMT, promethea in tpb, always the drat 4. What ends up happening is anyone who isn't fast at release now has to pay 2-3x for the pleasure of an entire run. A fun one is absolute Transmetropolitan in 3 volumes...that third one came out as vertigo was being scrapped by at&t and average $300+..luckily they are reprinting those under black label so at some point in 2022 i should be able to finish that set..hopefully

Yeah, I just shelled out nearly $30 for a used copy of volume 4 while the others were all between $14-17. Oh, well. She loved 1-3, so now she'll have 4-8 for Christmas. :)

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So I just finished the Hellboy/BPRD Series: The Devil You Know.... and I dunno. It left a bad taste in my mouth. Felt very underwhelming. Hellboy definitely seems like "the ride" was way better than "the destination".

The constant bait-and-switches with the Ogdru Jahad were annoying. Hellboy killed "The Dragon" in the Storm and Fury? Nahh, just a shard of it. Johann absolutely went Full Hero and murked it in BPRD? Nah, just one of the 7.

Rasputin coming back was jarring, and then the whole fight itself felt pretty weird. I dunno, having humans go underground and all the major characters die was just... weird. I guess I was hoping for a happy ending with humans reclaiming the Earth and all that stuff about prophecy being a load of bunk.

Also, I know Hellboy/BPRD has always been strongest when it has melded a bunch of different religions and mythologies together, but the end point of the series is pretty jarring when contrasted with Christian theology.
Which, given how often Hellboy used Saint's medals, Rosaries, and Crucifixes to fight off various evils, seems strange that the ending is so anti-theologicall friendly.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So I just finished the Hellboy/BPRD Series: The Devil You Know.... and I dunno. It left a bad taste in my mouth. Felt very underwhelming. Hellboy definitely seems like "the ride" was way better than "the destination".

The constant bait-and-switches with the Ogdru Jahad were annoying. Hellboy killed "The Dragon" in the Storm and Fury? Nahh, just a shard of it. Johann absolutely went Full Hero and murked it in BPRD? Nah, just one of the 7.

Rasputin coming back was jarring, and then the whole fight itself felt pretty weird. I dunno, having humans go underground and all the major characters die was just... weird. I guess I was hoping for a happy ending with humans reclaiming the Earth and all that stuff about prophecy being a load of bunk.

Also, I know Hellboy/BPRD has always been strongest when it has melded a bunch of different religions and mythologies together, but the end point of the series is pretty jarring when contrasted with Christian theology.
Which, given how often Hellboy used Saint's medals, Rosaries, and Crucifixes to fight off various evils, seems strange that the ending is so anti-theologicall friendly.

The thing is he already revealed the ending years ago in Makoma with art by Richard Corben (RIP)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Picked up a signed copy of Matt Allison's cankor.. Way too hyped for that to show up. Anyone else get into cankor?

https://www.adhousebooks.com/books/images/previews/AD.CANKOR.PREVIEW.pdf

matt allisions stuff is straight-up jack kirby meets charles burns, i need more!!!

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 14, 2020

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Solid Blood was very underwhelming but it did give me the feeling of reading the seventeenth issue of a series.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

bobkatt013 posted:

The thing is he already revealed the ending years ago in Makoma with art by Richard Corben (RIP)

Yeah IMO the problem with late-stage BPRD was the execution. Also Hellboy coming back was honestly not the greatest move. If he'd shown up only at the last minute to wipe the Earth clean, that would have been one thing, but having him back on the stage didn't work for me.

We always knew the end would be 'humanity barely survives to make a new world, Hellboy and the Dragon die fighting' and Makoma is fantastic. The stuff around the lilies, and the new Eden, in Hellboy in Hell? Absolutely heart-breakingly beautiful, that Hellboy would make this new world and never get to see it. That's the ending of Hellboy, for me, and it's also the Makoma ending; Dragon and HB fall together, a new garden is created, and the Earth in BPRD is left behind to slowly fade away as humanity carves out hidden spaces. That works! That fits the tone.

Really, Hellboy in Hell is the perfect HB conclusion, coming on the heels of the Storm. Mignola should have left it there and let BPRD go on without Big Red.

I have Hellboy Opinions.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Yeah IMO the problem with late-stage BPRD was the execution. Also Hellboy coming back was honestly not the greatest move. If he'd shown up only at the last minute to wipe the Earth clean, that would have been one thing, but having him back on the stage didn't work for me.

We always knew the end would be 'humanity barely survives to make a new world, Hellboy and the Dragon die fighting' and Makoma is fantastic. The stuff around the lilies, and the new Eden, in Hellboy in Hell? Absolutely heart-breakingly beautiful, that Hellboy would make this new world and never get to see it. That's the ending of Hellboy, for me, and it's also the Makoma ending; Dragon and HB fall together, a new garden is created, and the Earth in BPRD is left behind to slowly fade away as humanity carves out hidden spaces. That works! That fits the tone.

Really, Hellboy in Hell is the perfect HB conclusion, coming on the heels of the Storm. Mignola should have left it there and let BPRD go on without Big Red.

I have Hellboy Opinions.

And I agree with them. :hai: Bringing Hellboy back was a terrible move.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
More Hellboy ending:

Hellboy in Hell should have been the end of HB's personal story, but I still think the even worse decision was bringing back Rasputin. He had a perfect sendoff as it was, with the entire point being that for everything he did he was still basically nothing at all to the Dragon, that even the greatest efforts of the most powerful mortal didn't do anything more than put a tiny crack into the prison and then just fades away. But instead he just turns into a giant so the series can end in a fist fight I guess. For the sake of, what, adding another plot twist to Varvara? Black Flame was so much better as a villain for the BPRD books, but maybe I just feel that way because the character design stuck with me so strongly.

Also, I remember for a while wondering if the impression we were supposed to get was that it wasn't actually Hellboy who came back at all, but Roger. Still not 100% sure on what they were going for, there.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Thank you all for putting that stuff in spoilers. I know the rule is they don't have to be, but I asked for the last two library editions for Christmas.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Judgement posted:

More Hellboy ending:

Hellboy in Hell should have been the end of HB's personal story, but I still think the even worse decision was bringing back Rasputin. He had a perfect sendoff as it was, with the entire point being that for everything he did he was still basically nothing at all to the Dragon, that even the greatest efforts of the most powerful mortal didn't do anything more than put a tiny crack into the prison and then just fades away. But instead he just turns into a giant so the series can end in a fist fight I guess. For the sake of, what, adding another plot twist to Varvara? Black Flame was so much better as a villain for the BPRD books, but maybe I just feel that way because the character design stuck with me so strongly.

Also, I remember for a while wondering if the impression we were supposed to get was that it wasn't actually Hellboy who came back at all, but Roger. Still not 100% sure on what they were going for, there.

Yeah, I think they just got so into hinting that he could come back, time and again, that they felt they had to go through with it. There was a hint that Rasputin was coming back instead of the Black Flame, there was the one soul Baba Yaga didn't use to empower Koschei but instead dropped it between the roots of the tree... the possibility of Rasputin's return was there, but frankly I think that if he'd shown up again he should have been the Rasputin from Conqueror Worm. That was his strongest moment, to me. "The music of the spheres... is Chaos." He managed to feel like the terrifying, inhuman occultist he was supposed to be, someone who saw the end of the world coming and decided it was better to hasten it on its way.

He should have been completely chill in Hell on Earth, because he didn't have to lift a finger; the events he had planned for Earth transpired more or less in full.

I also didn't like the idea of one of the Seven being summoned without the others; the Seven Who Are One, are One, it's in the name. The only dragon we needed was the one HB fought in the Storm, and the only expression of their nature we needed from them was their monologue in that fight. The Seven really got cheapened over the course of the BPRD series, IMO.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
More spoilers about "The Devil You Know".

I will echo what has been said about Rasputin and the Dragon. Rasputin's return was certainly foreshadowed, but just making him a big monster to fight was silly. He was never just a big bruiser like Black Flame. I am also missing Volume 2 of "The Devil You Know" so I may be missing out on how he came back exactly.

Also, I do think the Ogdru Jahad got cheapened. They were used too many times. I think they either should have come in the form of Nimue and gotten killed or waited until the very end when the Osiris club did their thing and tried to possess them. They became less big bads and more plot devices by the end, which was a shame.

I mean really, how many characters got to embody the Dragon? Nimue, The Black Flame, Rasputin at the end, then the Osiris Club. How come so many could do it?

I still wish Hellboy had been able to say "screw your prophecy" at the end and prevent the end of humanity (on the surface). I think that would have been more thematic with him always rejecting his destiny throughout the series. He technically fulfilled his role of destroying a world in Hell.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 21, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I liked all of my "try" these pulls so that's... expensive.

The Cimmerian Frost Giant's Daughter- Missed this whole series being a thing, looks like little monthlies of Conan stories under different subtitles..the story on this isn't mind-blowing, but the interiors are fantastic...reminds me of frazetta
Blade Runner 2029 - seems alright so far, again, interiors are solid enough to keep it going. Assuming this is going to be a 12 like the series before it
Knock Em Dead - entirely set up in the first issue with a cliffhanger ending so not much substance, but I like the premise enough..art is ok, ventures into anime a lil more then I'm into but it's different..
Night Hunters - just buy this one and sub, trust me
Sam and his talking gun - Another "art is more interesting than the story they are setting up" so far

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

More spoilers about "The Devil You Know".

I will echo what has been said about Rasputin and the Dragon. Rasputin's return was certainly foreshadowed, but just making him a big monster to fight was silly. He was never just a big bruiser like Black Flame. I am also missing Volume 2 of "The Devil You Know" so I may be missing out on how he came back exactly.

Also, I do think the Ogdru Jahad got cheapened. They were used too many times. I think they either should have come in the form of Nimue and gotten killed or waited until the very end when the Osiris club did their thing and tried to possess them. They became less big bads and more plot devices by the end, which was a shame.

I mean really, how many characters got to embody the Dragon? Nimue, The Black Flame, Rasputin at the end, then the Osiris Club. How come so many could do it?

I still wish Hellboy had been able to say "screw your prophecy" at the end and prevent the end of humanity (on the surface). I think that would have been more thematic with him always rejecting his destiny throughout the series. He technically fulfilled his role of destroying a world in Hell.

Personally, I think after Liz' prophecy in King of Fear, where Hellboy tells her to 'do it' and she burns the surface world away, I was pretty ok with HB being unable to save the world, or even not being present at all for the final battle - but again, I think Hellboy in Hell was the perfect ending to Hellboy's character arc, including the bit where he saw the damned souls rising as gulls, and witnessing the new garden he could never reach. It was somber, but beautiful and heroic. It really fit him, having already had his battles, and getting to rest. Plus, again, nothing has ever come close to the Dragon. The Ogdru Jahad were supposed to be 'not the wheel, but the hand that turns the wheel.'

But hey, Hellboy in Hell will never stop being wonderful, and I can just ignore the BPRD conclusion and read young Hellboy having historical adventures.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

zer0spunk posted:

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

zer0spunk posted:

Colour me intrigued, is there a digital release anywhere? I'm not too keen on the idea of spending $30 x4 to ship the paper all the way to Australia.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Alris posted:

Colour me intrigued, is there a digital release anywhere? I'm not too keen on the idea of spending $30 x4 to ship the paper all the way to Australia.

I don't think there's a digital release outside of people who kickstarted it getting pdf versions as they come out.

You don't have any comic shops in australia? It's orderable in the diamond catalog. If you have an AU amazon that might have it, forbidden planet UK would be a shorter distance shipped option. You might have to get creative. Or just wait and buy the full 1-4 run and not pay shipping 4 times, but I would ask comic shops

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 30, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thanks to whomever recommended the IDW TMNT comic. I've read the first two trades and it's really solid. I love the rationale why Splinter and the Turtles are together.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dawgstar posted:

Thanks to whomever recommended the IDW TMNT comic. I've read the first two trades and it's really solid. I love the rationale why Splinter and the Turtles are together.

It only gets better. It’s such a good books. It has some weird hooks and recurring things every now and then but it really plays with just about every character and concept in the series/movies of past. Also if you particularly like one character, chances are they’ve had their own micro-series to go along with the main book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also all the Bebop & Rocksteady minis are required reading. Not so much for the ongoing story. But just to improve your quality of life.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I've got a stack of those trades, been meaning to catch up. I recommend the original Turtles run to anybody interested too. Available in those Ultimate Collections, which have the majority of the Eastman/Laird penned issues. Holds up, very inventive and fun.

Plus, the more versions of the Turtles you become familiar with, well, an angel gets it's wings, and you gain +10 luck stat.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also worth reading is the Archie TMNT from the '90s for how weird it is. Not worth reading is the Image TMNT series from the '90s that they recently started continuing at IDW for some drat reason. Never liked that version.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

Also worth reading is the Archie TMNT from the '90s for how weird it is. Not worth reading is the Image TMNT series from the '90s that they recently started continuing at IDW for some drat reason. Never liked that version.

I read a lot of the Archie stuff as a kid and it was way more fun and inventive than the cartoon, even if I remember bizarre things happening like Krang winding up as Shredder's head and being really mad they just sort of murked the Mighty Mutanimals off-screen. I wonder if it was the first place where April decided to be a kunoichi which now feels like a semi-regular (understandably) character beat.

Never touched the Image stuff. What was wrong with it?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dawgstar posted:

I read a lot of the Archie stuff as a kid and it was way more fun and inventive than the cartoon, even if I remember bizarre things happening like Krang winding up as Shredder's head and being really mad they just sort of murked the Mighty Mutanimals off-screen. I wonder if it was the first place where April decided to be a kunoichi which now feels like a semi-regular (understandably) character beat.

Never touched the Image stuff. What was wrong with it?

It was too '90s tryhard. Cyborg Dontello, scarred masked Raphael, Leo had his hand cut off. And then even dumber stuff like Raphael taking over as The Shredder and leading The Foot or Splinter spending a large portion of the series as a mutant bat.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

It was too '90s tryhard. Cyborg Dontello, scarred masked Raphael, Leo had his hand cut off. And then even dumber stuff like Raphael taking over as The Shredder and leading The Foot or Splinter spending a large portion of the series as a mutant bat.

That does sound unfortunate. Doesn't Leo lead the Foot at least in one incarnation?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dawgstar posted:

That does sound unfortunate. Doesn't Leo lead the Foot at least in one incarnation?

Answering this question would potentially spoil some stuff you've already said you wanted to check out. But let's just say the answer isn't just a simple yes or no.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

X-O posted:

Also worth reading is the Archie TMNT from the '90s for how weird it is.

I have a bunch of random issues of that for some reason, and thankfully, it includes the one where a time-traveling Raphael chin-checks Hitler.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

I have a bunch of random issues of that for some reason, and thankfully, it includes the one where a time-traveling Raphael chin-checks Hitler.

Between this and Sonic I wonder if just going completely off the rails is just what you do with a licensed comic at Archie.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've had this double-sided laminated board game poster listed in my SA-Mart sale thread for the longest time, and I thought I would post it here in the Indie Comics thread, just in case. If nobody is interested, I'll throw it up on eBay.

It came in issue #54P of Wizard: The Guide to Comics, from 1996. Back then I laminated it in heavy, rigid plastic to protect it while displaying it on walls, or to be able to play either side as an actual board game. It measures 20 1/4" by 13 3/4", with a clear border just over 1/4" around each side.

Madman by Mike Allred on one side:

Milk and Cheese by Evan Dorkin on the other side:

If you like Madman or Milk and Cheese, it could be a beautiful poster, even if you have no interest in playing either game. I'll have to roll it up in a poster tube to ship it, and I was hoping to get something in the $35 range, but I'm flexible.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Afterlift is good, if you didn't read it on Comixology.

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1356635739467862017?s=20

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'll second that it's a better premise than I thought. The whole thing kindof sortof revolving around a gig driver turned me off for a bit, but I enjoyed it when I actually read it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol chip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TMNT's still really good. I've been buying a trade a week since I don't get much weekly stuff (most days). If it keeps going on like this it might be out the 2012 cartoon for my favorite iteration of the franchise.