Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Waller's plan was beyond dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DC Universe has finished moving stuff over so Batman:TAS, Batman Beyond and the CG Green Lantern series are now on HBO Max.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Is DC Universe just dead, then?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Yes. They're rebranding it to DC Universe Infinite and focusing on the comic stuff, moving the delay to 6 months and everything TV just got moved over to HBO Max instead. I think the only TV show not making the move is Stargirl which is just going to be a straight up CW show next season. It is still going to be on HBO Max, just not going to premier on it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Toshimo posted:

Dead, beheaded, with a stake in its heart.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

muscles like this! posted:

Yes. They're rebranding it to DC Universe Infinite and focusing on the comic stuff, moving the delay to 6 months and everything TV just got moved over to HBO Max instead. I think the only TV show not making the move is Stargirl which is just going to be a straight up CW show next season. It is still going to be on HBO Max, just not going to premier on it.

Not everything has made it over yet, a lot of the animated shows and movies are still missing

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Not everything has made it over yet, a lot of the animated shows and movies are still missing

Yeah, I went looking for Justice League Unlimited and it ain't there yet.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Will Superman ever show up on HBO max?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Will Superman ever show up on HBO max?

Probably.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Holy poo poo, I just heard someone argue the retcon to Batman Beyond was good because "it fits within the story and doesn't change anything and it's totally in character for Amanda Waller."

These are the same people who think Rey Palpatine was a good idea.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The retcon is worth it just for the even older Bruce Wayne cameo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The hilarious part was Marvel Unlimited announcing their delay was dropping to 3 months literally about a day after DC announced that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nanigans posted:

Holy poo poo, I just heard someone argue the retcon to Batman Beyond was good because "it fits within the story and doesn't change anything and it's totally in character for Amanda Waller."

These are the same people who think Rey Palpatine was a good idea.

I guess from that perspective, Waller was a major character of JLU, and the episode does wrap up her character more than it does Terry or Bruce.

Like if you set aside whether you feel genetic determinism diminishes either Terry's accomplishments or the potential of the rest of the human race that isn't the engineered to be the spawn of Bruce Wayne, the episode doesn't really add anything for Batman Beyond aside from just returning to the world after 4 years (which sorta feels less exciting after 15 years).

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess from that perspective, Waller was a major character of JLU, and the episode does wrap up her character more than it does Terry or Bruce.

Like if you set aside whether you feel genetic determinism diminishes either Terry's accomplishments or the potential of the rest of the human race that isn't the engineered to be the spawn of Bruce Wayne, the episode doesn't really add anything for Batman Beyond aside from just returning to the world after 4 years (which sorta feels less exciting after 15 years).

Well, I can't really set that aspect aside as it's really hosed up and stupid. But yes, I suppose if you're viewing it as an end to Waller's story, it's better, but still also dumb because even though Waller decided it was morally wrong to murder someone to create a Batman, she still found it perfectly acceptable to literally take away someone's ability to have their own children in some twisted eugenics experiment. So she really learned nothing, because even if she made nice with Batman and the League, she never learned the lesson that breaking the law and toying with people's lives is wrong even in her quest for peace.

Aghghghg, it's just so dumb.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
This is such a weird minor observation, but I just binged both seasons of Harley Quinn, and on top of really liking the show and loving Ivy (Lake Bell is a treasure), one thing jumped out at me as I glance back over the eps: Did they mess up and just not manage to get Katey Sagal to play Mrs Quinzel? The sitcom opening they do in that episode makes her look blatantly like Peggy Bundy and there's the meta joke that Sagal played Kaley Cuoco's mother on like 3 different shows.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Nanigans posted:

Well, I can't really set that aspect aside as it's really hosed up and stupid. But yes, I suppose if you're viewing it as an end to Waller's story, it's better, but still also dumb because even though Waller decided it was morally wrong to murder someone to create a Batman, she still found it perfectly acceptable to literally take away someone's ability to have their own children in some twisted eugenics experiment. So she really learned nothing, because even if she made nice with Batman and the League, she never learned the lesson that breaking the law and toying with people's lives is wrong even in her quest for peace.

Aghghghg, it's just so dumb.

From memory Waller didn't decide to not murder Terry's parents because it was wrong.
It was because the woman she hired to kill them (Andrea Beaumont) refused to do it.

It acts as a great conclusion to Waller's character because she learned nothing. She was convinced her way was the right way. And in the end, her methods didn't fix anything. The world slid into a Cyberpunk dystopia.
The only way she was able to fix anything was in helping to create a new Batman, something she had always railed against.

She didn't become a better person. Just a bitter, old woman who never really improved.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
If nothing else that episode gave us the section with Bruce and Ace

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Hbo max has death in the family but it appears to be non interactive for me, which makes it really dull. It's just the red hood recap and a few other unrelated shorts.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Was Justice League Dark: Apokolips War any good?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bessantj posted:

Matt Ryan does good stuff as John Constantine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I watched all of it, which is more than I can say for most of the animated films in that continuity.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Justice League and JLU are coming to HBO Max Feb 1st while The Batman will show up later in the month.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

bessantj posted:

Skwirl posted:

I watched all of it, which is more than I can say for most of the animated films in that continuity.

Rhyno posted:

It is, however, really loving grim in parts.

Justice League and JLU are coming to HBO Max Feb 1st while The Batman will show up later in the month.

Hey, about time! Time for a full rewatch!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I guess there's not an HD version of Superman, which is kind of a shame, as it's the one I think I'm most interested in revisiting.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Skwirl posted:

jng2058 posted:

It is, however, really loving grim in parts.

Thanks, I've been thinking about watching it but I heard it was quite grim and I'm not sure if I can be bothered.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

bessantj posted:

Do you like snuff films?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
If you don't want to watch most of the Justice League and Teen Titans get really horrifically killed then I would not recommend.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

So they go though the whole rosters? Is it one of those "everyone is dead, let me undo all the deaths." type things or "well everyone is dead here, time to go to an alt reality." type ones?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

bessantj posted:

So they go though the whole rosters? Is it one of those "everyone is dead, let me undo all the deaths." type things or "well everyone is dead here, time to go to an alt reality." type ones?

It's one of those "lets assemble a rag tag group of the leftovers and make one last desperate assault" ones where they use a mix of whoever the writer wants to use that then turns into a "yeah this reality is too hosed, Flash, can you go back in time and fix this please?" at the end. Presumably so they can continue making the animated stuff cause they were in a very loose continuity I guess.

It is just very, very grim though. Like I didn't need to see Starfire, Aquaman, Hawkgirl, etc all get torn in half or punched into mush on screen tbh. There's a reason most of the classic "dark alternate future" stories skip over the part where the heroes fail, a genocide happens and start in the dark future.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Part of me has to wonder what the hell happened to DC in the 00s. I mean it was never quite as wholesome and whitebread as the old Marvel/DC dynamic made it seem, but they didn't quite take so many cues from it's fighting game dancing partner, either

I bet it's Johns fault

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Doctor Light in the years following Identity Crisis was the worst thing. Every appearance was him doing or saying something horrific. It was like every writer was in a one up contest to see who could have him be the most depraved. Then they had the Spectre melt him into a candle I think and I stopped reading comics monthly shortly after when Final Crisis finished but I remember being relieved when they did that.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

Flash, can you go back in time and fix this please?"

Ah, the cureall.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bessantj posted:

Ah, the cureall.

Or the cause.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/xmendirector/status/1355584409676570627?s=20

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If that was the whole of the GI Joe movie, I would be satisfied by it. Possibly more than I was by the full GI Joe movie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The opening really is all you need to see of the GI Joe movie, although to say something nice I think Burgess Meredith did a great job as Golobulous and could have done more villain voice roles if he'd wanted. To say something bad, boy howdy does Falcon sexually harass Jinx.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a lot of 80s or early 90s cartoons with amazing animation that drew me in only for the actual content to be totally vapid.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I have probably mentioned this before but in the UK, GI Joe was called Action Force.

The show had the same dialogue except whenever a character said “Yo Joe!” Or “GI Joe” They overdubbed it with an English voice actor saying “Full Force” or “Action Force.”*

They also changed the opening theme tune.

It was most noticeable for the intro to the movie, because not only did they change the intro song, they had to speed up the opening sequence to fit the new faster music.

Compare and contrast.

GI Joe the Movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ah2I166f_U

and Action Force the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2f2kXMbW_4

*= The same thing happened with Sgt. Slaughter, who was changed to Sgt. Slammer.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“International”

Does it seem more normal to people outside the US to see American flags all over something run by Americans and then be told that it’s an international effort with support from many countries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They should've tried censoring out the american flag.

They also could've kept Cobra's theme song even if they really didn't want the whole great american hero spiel.