Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Escobarbarian posted:

Ok let’s go!

I May Destroy You - BBC/HBO half-hour drama about a young writer who has her drink spiked and is raped. Follows the aftermath of this and her friend group in general, with various themes around consent, social media, and various other parts of modern life. It is extremely smart and powerful and also very funny at times.

Little America - Apple anthology series where each episode tells a different immigrant’s story, inspired by a magazine’s article series. Really lovely stuff.

Small Axe - BBC production of five movies directed by Steve McQueen (Hunger, 12 Years a Slave, Widows) about the Afro-Caribbean community in London between the 60s and 80s. Extremely good poo poo, probably shouldn’t be considered TV but that’s how Amazon have labelled it in the US release so there you go.

A Teacher - Hulu show where Kate Mara is a young teacher who fucks a student. Didn’t watch this one but it seemed to be generally well-reviewed, if considered a little slow.

Unorthodox - Netflix miniseries in Yiddish. I don’t know much about this one but it seems to be about a young Jewish woman in an arranged marriage who runs away. Looks like it was super acclaimed, drat I should watch this probably

Thanks for the rundown. Gotta say, none of that sounds appealing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

In hindsight, I love season 1 and have enjoyed it throughly on 3 additional occasions in binge form bit I remember being one of the crowd that had reservations when watching it at the time.

NOOOOO! This is not allowed.

You must either love the first half of the show and not like the back half, or love the back half and not like the first.

And then the two sides must fight to the death. It is law.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Open Source Idiom posted:

You must either love the first half of the show and not like the back half, or love the back half and not like the first.

TWO FAN ENTER, ONE FAN LEAVE!

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1354808708325273601

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah, Thomas Sidney Jerome Sturridge is an English actor best known for his work in Being Julia, Like Minds, and The Boat That Rocked, of course.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1354806628491567110

Gwendoline Christie as Lucifer is inspired. I'm in.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm always here for Charles Dance

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I'm always here for Charles Dance

I prefer a Christopher Waltz

i'll see myself out

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That's some pretty loving good casting.

Shame it's gonna be years before they get past the bit Gaiman just adapted for radio last year.

I know that makes me sound sour, but I'm not. It's just weird listening to someone adapt something really well, and then wait a bit for the same person to adapt their own work again.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Rhyno posted:

I prefer a Christopher Waltz

i'll see myself out

Better see yourself out >: (

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love how it's a great cast and I'm like "Asim and Sanjeev? Awesome!".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sturridge had been rumored for a while but nice to finally get a cast list for a show that's been filming since October.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

I read the first 20 or so pages of the Season 1 thread yesterday. Some of the takes are hilarious.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Every Lindelof show thread will for sure have a contingent of people convinced the show is going to be a mystery box that just strings along plot reveals. The Watchmen thread had the same thing, where people were convinced it was going to end on a cliffhanger for a season 2 despite everyone involved saying “it’s one self-contained season”.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think its limited to Lindelof. Its just a thing now with viewers trying to outsmart the show they're watching and not get swerved. So for every correct Westworld guess there's 3 crazy rear end Breaking Bad theories.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think its limited to Lindelof. Its just a thing now with viewers trying to outsmart the show they're watching and not get swerved. So for every correct Westworld guess there's 3 crazy rear end Breaking Bad theories.

There’s a certain amount of antipathy to it with Lindelof shows because some people are still real mad about Lost.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I'm just gonna say it

Search Party is better than Lost

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Maybe as good as the Leftovers even

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
how big a factor is cringe comedy in Search Party ?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
It's low cringe in my opinion. It's more laughing at bad decisions made by stupid people for the first couple seasons. The 3rd and 4th season make it seem more like everybody in the entire world is absolutely insane, so maybe their decisions in the first couple seasons weren't quite as unrealistic as we maybe thought. I imagine everybody in this universe finds themselves in increasingly complex crises on a regular basis.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Aardvark! posted:

It's not cringe at all, and season 4 is just some next level poo poo at the end, it's mental

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I never thought I wanted a Chantal episode but it's kind of amazing.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Just discovered Somebody Feed Phil on Netflix. Good stuff, Phil is great, but it makes me miss Bourdain

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
He is like the less cynical version. Phil would be annoying if he wasn’t just so drat earnest.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He has an identical show called "I'll have what Phil's having" that aired on PBS. It really is like Bourdain where he had three different shows that were the same thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Aardvark! posted:

Going against the grain a little, I'd argue there's some cringe in the first season, particularly the memorial and double date episodes early on, but there's way less as it goes along.

And it's never PEN15 levels of cringe.

Later seasons go increasingly bizarre and satirical; the world becomes less like the Office UK and settles towards Community / 30 Rock levels of weirdness, with even weirder stuff lurking around the edges.

Midnight Pooptrain
Oct 13, 2012

2001's Father of the Year
BBC's The Victim was so drat heavy. I am glad it didn't poo poo itself like Bodyguard or The Capture. It also made me realize how wasted McDonald was on Boardwalk Empire.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Inspector 34 posted:

I never thought I wanted a Chantal episode but it's kind of amazing.

I hate it and I hate the producer for not grabbing the director by the ear when they suggested doing it. How has a show I had never even heard about until a few days ago managed to succumb to its own hype.

I have a lot of issues with this season.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I did not like the brainwashing stuff it just felt dumb and dragged down the whole season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
:siren: THIS WEEK'S DICKINSON SO AMAZING SO GAY :siren:

Seriously, it was very, very good.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I enjoyed Resident Alien.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Three and a half hours

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

No thanks

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't you want to be a part of the Zeitgeist

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

zoux posted:

Don't you want to be a part of the Zeitgeist

its being rebranded as Zakgeist

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The 4K print of Clockwork Orange due this year will have the scene of where the dude is forced to watch all the insane poo poo will be replaced with the Snyder Cut.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

zoux posted:

Three and a half hours

What?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

the snyder cut I imagine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't think I can stomach sitting through 3.5h of a DCU movie.