Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Greggs vegan dosage roll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It would be a distribution method that would reach population the normal one might not.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
too many different vaccines now. i cant choose. one of each please, barman

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

we should recycle for to save the environment for the little children imo
am i correct in thinking that pretty much everything is potentially recyclable, its just that the cost/benefit and current infrastructure makes it impractical, so we chuck certain things in landfills

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Bobby Deluxe posted:

am i correct in thinking that pretty much everything is potentially recyclable, its just that the cost/benefit and current infrastructure makes it impractical, so we chuck certain things in landfills

The ethos of reduce > reuse > recycle kinda prioritises how we should look at things.

Recycling for a lot of materials is more energy intensive than simply extracting raw new material, some things simply can't be recycled due to deterioration and some things simply can't be recycled due to the way they are made or mixed.

Think of pizza boxes, you absolutely shouldn't put them in the recycling bin as the grease will result in entire batches of recycled pulp being useless on the otherside. But not many people know that.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I wondered that but they put the please recycle logo thing on it so thought they must have figured it out.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i did not know that and now i am sad about pizza

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I like pizza

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

I wondered that but they put the please recycle logo thing on it so thought they must have figured it out.

Depending on the council they're either removed at the recycling centre and sent to landfill/incineration/etc, or they cut out the greasy bit (it's almost certainly the former because money)

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

I like pizza

I also enjoy pizza, but the £4 (on offer) White Rabbit vegan pizza I tried the other week was the blandest thing in history and I have decided to just make my own when can be arsed.

It's like the tomato sauce they used had been watered down the same way your nan turns Ribena into water

I haven't got any takeaway in ageeees because I don't want to inadvertently support hemale

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Do any vegan pizzas have the textures nailed yet?

I would like someone to figure out how to make one of those lovely pizza ovens work indoors. Apparently at the moment they might accidentally burn up all the oxygen or something and murder you without you knowing

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Without going all UKMT here, you are right Bobby, if we invested properly now in recycling infrastructure and education then yeah, we'd be helping to sustain our future impact, securing raw materials and reducing our reliance on sending stuff to landfill, incineration or developing nations so they can enjoy our filth instead.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Steakandchips posted:

Computer bits, particularly GPUs and CPUs, are hot right now due to low supply and very high demand.

If you have spare bits, ebay them for ££££.

A Ryzen 3600 last year brand new was £160.

They're going, used, for just shy of £200 now on ebay.

GPUs even more so.

Can confirm. I sold a pair of 1080s (not even Ti) plus a bridge on eBay for £740. One was new at release, but the other was bought a year or so ago for £295 and the bridge for £27 so those went for more than I paid.

Between bitcoiners and scalpers it's a good time to sell.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

Ratjaculation posted:

invested properly

there's your problem mate

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

I like pizza
i also like pizza but i keep forgetting to take my lactase :(

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Ratty explained it but here is something from the construction perspective:

You can recycle existing asphalt roads (I want to call it a pavement but iirc a pavement is not pavement but a sidewalk in here idk, the black hard surface you drive cars on it) with an efficiency of 10% to 30%. Meaning that the oxidized and hardened asphalt requires additional virgin bitumen+aggregate mixtures due to the breakdown of "soft" compounds that give the asphalt elasticity.

This is not necessarily an investment/returns problem at this point. It makes perfect sense for everyone if it was possible to utilize 100% of the RAP (recycled asphalt pavement) with losses due to the recycling procedures and it would be still an amazing environmental and monetary win. Cue the nerds (including me) working on alternative ways to increase the percentage of usable material in RAP. There are chemical compounds called "rejuvenators" that push the effectiveness of recycling and re-using effectiveness. It's not massive in numbers like 4% to 7% in some cases but if you apply that to country-wide it makes a huge difference.

The calculations on "carbon neutral/zero/negative" usually involves compensation for unavoidable processes. You have to balance the impact of making the rejuvenators vs the amount of recovery they provide. More research brings better and less carbon-intensive procedures.

There was a nice group of people I met in Birmingham who have an aggregate product that has negative carbon emission. They solidify industrial waste with carbon dioxide treatment which literally removes carbon from the atmosphere when calculated but not necessarily during the production phase if that makes any sense. The aggregate sales for a good price and they make a good business out of it but it is, due to technical limitations, not suitable for certain types of asphalt (Stone Mastic Asphalt requires much high performing aggregates) yet, which prevents it from becoming more popular. Germany, Netherlands, France and Murican's have good research on this subject as well. Imperial College has a neat Master's Degree under Civil engineering covering these subjects which I want to apply but lmao international fees (32k a year, yikeseroo).

Research takes time and money, as well as people that desire to be doing something that will bore the bollocks out of people during dates :v:

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 29, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i want the recycler / manufacturer from prey where one machine uses lasers and poo poo to break junk down into raw materials and the other machine builds you a cool nerf crossbow you never really use

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

love 2 reprocess something into raw materials that are larger than the original item

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i mean that would solve a lot of problems

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Galewolf posted:

Ratty explained it but here is something from the construction perspective:

You can recycle existing asphalt roads (I want to call it a pavement but iirc a pavement is not pavement but a sidewalk in here idk, the black hard surface you drive cars on it) with an efficiency of 10% to 30%. Meaning that the oxidized and hardened asphalt requires additional virgin bitumen+aggregate mixtures due to the breakdown of "soft" compounds that give the asphalt elasticity.

This is not necessarily an investment/returns problem at this point. It makes perfect sense for everyone if it was possible to utilize 100% of the RAP (recycled asphalt pavement) with losses due to the recycling procedures and it would be still an amazing environmental and monetary win. Cue the nerds (including me) working on alternative ways to increase the percentage of usable material in RAP. There are chemical compounds called "rejuvenators" that push the effectiveness of recycling and re-using effectiveness. It's not massive in numbers like 4% to 7% in some cases but if you apply that to country-wide it makes a huge difference.

The calculations on "carbon neutral/zero/negative" usually involves compensation for unavoidable processes. You have to balance the impact of making the rejuvenators vs the amount of recovery they provide. More research brings better and less carbon-intensive procedures.

There was a nice group of people I met in Birmingham who have an aggregate product that has negative carbon emission. They solidify industrial waste with carbon dioxide treatment which literally removes carbon from the atmosphere when calculated but not necessarily during the production phase if that makes any sense. The aggregate sales for a good price and they make a good business out of it but it is, due to technical limitations, not suitable for certain types of asphalt (Stone Mastic Asphalt requires much high performing aggregates) yet, which prevents it from becoming more popular. Germany, Netherlands, France and Murican's have good research on this subject as well. Imperial College has a neat Master's Degree under Civil engineering covering these subjects which I want to apply but lmao international fees (32k a year, yikeseroo).

Research takes time and money, as well as people that desire to be doing something that will bore the bollocks out of people during dates :v:

After Virus, lets get some Mangal 2 or Tayyabs in London and talk about roads.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

rear end fault

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

After Virus, lets get some Mangal 2 or Tayyabs in London and talk about roads.

For real, tho :heysexy:

I had Tayyabs last week, dried meat specialty and chicken tikka (attentive readers might notice that those are both mains), it was glorious :getin:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You should do a boring talk.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Probably everything about my life job is exceptionally boring to anyone, including me.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

I bet my job is more boring than your job

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

Back in the day people could describe their job in one or two words

Now it takes half a page

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

rear end fault
the fault in ur rear end

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
And then I said, kiss MY rear end fault!

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Drain down from rear end fault is a legitimate problem, you jerks :mad:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Gasmask posted:

Back in the day people could describe their job in one or two words

Now it takes half a page

Ratjaculation posted:

rear end fault

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/rantingauthor/status/1355217981236772864?s=19

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I bought one single share this afternoon and here's what happened since then:

lol :stonks:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Is that good or bad?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

basically $GME is overrun now with clueless morons like me who don't even know how to tweak the settings on the trading apps

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

WBS had 4 million subs yesterday, today it's 6 million. Random old colleagues and family is calling me to ask about it which is just :psyduck: as I have absolutely no idea about it besides shitposting in the stonks and GBS thread.

Apparently RH and other apps let you buy now when it is up 40% and not during the 190 dip lmao. People who don't have aftermarket / regular broker access look at all the gainz they can't have while hedge funds become rich overnight again, from what I gather.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

Lol are you buying whole shares

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Don't buy shares. It only encourages them.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

no way a whole share was like $340.

e - the deposit I made was less than that

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Fraction shares are for poor people :smuggo: (it's me, I'm the poors)

I was saved by Trading 212 before I partake in this insanity so yeah no stakes in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have nothing but loathing for stock market traders.