Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
okay i puit my life savings into circuit city now whjat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Klyith posted:

shorting stocks does provide a very useful service: liquidity on a stock that might otherwise unrealistically spike in price.

This is dumb because 'valuations' and 'fundamentals' don't really matter when you decide to treat stocks like what they really are. Turns out you can just gamble and buy a shitload for no reason and number goes up

(edit: because some big brain on the other end decided that number should go down)

Victis fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 29, 2021

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Zombiepop posted:

gently caress the rich.

Blessed are the fornicates, may we bend down and be their whores
Blessed are the rich, may we labor, deliver them more

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Philthy posted:

HOLD THE LINE

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

posts itt going to bat for billionaire hedge fund managers and decrepit crying boomers on CNBC sure are something...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Philthy posted:

Hopefully that $10 turns I to something big!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I've been following this for weeks now and it's very, verry funny. Also anybody thinking of getting into this now, this is the "shoeshine" phase of any bubble, so if you're in this for any other reason than to feel the thrill of losing half your money in minutes while you're desperately telling yourself it'll "go back up any minute now", don't.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Son of Rodney posted:

I've been following this for weeks now and it's very, verry funny. Also anybody thinking of getting into this now, this is the "shoeshine" phase of any bubble, so if you're in this for any other reason than to feel the thrill of losing half your money in minutes while you're desperately telling yourself it'll "go back up any minute now", don't.

Already losing money on AMC, can confirm!

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Son of Rodney posted:

I thought people started doing this earlier this week?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I got in on this on monday and got out of it today. I had a ton of lols and I'm now a hundredaire :feelsgood:

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
glad everything is so hosed on RH i get a few screens closer to adding money but AMC has tanked in the mean time so this is good, i guess!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Katamari Democracy posted:

I thought people started doing this earlier this week?

It's started getting bonkers this week but the wallstreetbets guy depfuckingvalue has been doing this for literally years. It gained tracktion end of 2020.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

KazigluBey posted:

posts itt going to bat for billionaire hedge fund managers and decrepit crying boomers on CNBC sure are something...

quote the posts. i want to lol at them but i'm lazy

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Dear Watson posted:

HOLD THE LINE

DO SOMETHING

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

CheeseThief posted:

The message was hold until Friday, right?

It's nearly 5pm in the UK right now, when should I expect to see some tears? I don't even know where to be checking for up to date news on this other than here. I am too old to understand how to read reddit's front pages and I don't have a Twitter account (see previous i.e. old).

There is no short squeeze happening yet and it doesn't look like it's going to happen today anymore. Wsb is already moving the goal posts to next week.

Nobody has any idea what the current situation is or what is gonna happen with the stock. Most people on wsb are basically semi-illiterate MAGA types trying to scam and talk each other into participating in shady pump and dump schemes and make a quick buck off each other and outside suckers. They have no idea what they are doing and nothing written there should be taken at face value and certainly not when regurgitated through financially illiterate media.

Talen_Soti
Mar 30, 2010

Dear Watson posted:

HOLD THE LINE

Buy and hold! gently caress hedge fund traders who screw everybody!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Except for one or two idiots, I’ve not seen anyone take the hedge fund/billionaire aides, just acknowledging reality that the stock is way overvalued and will eventually crash down to earth, most likely in a meteoric fashion and that the US government is poo poo and will no doubt “fix” this “exploit” by further loving over retail investors “for their own protection” and bailing out the hedge funds “for the good of the economy”

E. Also, some legislator will unironically claim that their newly proposed legislation preventing retail investors from engaging in options/futures/derivatives or whatever is “necessary to protect the free markets!”

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 29, 2021

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

KazigluBey posted:

There is literally, unequivocally, unironically NOTHING wrong with exploiting rich people out of billions for personal gain. Under any circumstances. Full stop. No argument. Zip it. Dirty buttplug in your mouth. Accept it. Hush now. Shhhhhhhh. No. Shhhhh. Okay? Okay. Don't @ me, bitch.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Talen_Soti posted:

Buy and hold! gently caress hedge fund traders who screw everybody!

Aren't you tired of being tired all the time and the government and investment brokers keeping you down? *shows pic of a boot stepping on a face* Well, now there is a solution! Buy this new revolutionary convection oven that will give you so much free time and finally give you the opportunity to fight against those who keep you down and make you feel less tired! Order now!

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i bought the fuckin dogs stock what is wrong with me

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Per Matthew 19:24 we are doing the hedge fund managers a favor by taking their money.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Gamers rise up and fight the man! Buy PepsiCo stock today! Mountain Dew and Doritos for all!

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

What a time to be alive. Make number go up.

Talen_Soti
Mar 30, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

Aren't you tired of being tired all the time and the government and investment brokers keeping you down? *shows pic of a boot stepping on a face* Well, now there is a solution! Buy this new revolutionary convection oven that will give you so much free time and finally give you the opportunity to fight against those who keep you down and make you feel less tired! Order now!

Its all in good fun until you get screwed over, eh? I don't have more than $5.00 in this show and if I lose it all, big deal, I just make lunch at home instead of fast food.
I don't care either way, its just fun to watch someone else sweat over money problems for a change.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i bought the fuckin dogs stock what is wrong with me

as far as I know, you can cash out bitcoins fairly easily...is the same possible for dogecoin?

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

kolby posted:

as far as I know, you can cash out bitcoins fairly easily...is the same possible for dogecoin?

Probably. Bitcoin is open source and Dogecoin is basically a copy of bitcoin in many ways. There are some finer differences if you research deeper. Edited for clearity.

Steeltalon fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 29, 2021

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Talen_Soti posted:

Its all in good fun until you get screwed over, eh? I don't have more than $5.00 in this show and if I lose it all, big deal, I just make lunch at home instead of fast food.
I don't care either way, its just fun to watch someone else sweat over money problems for a change.

Don't get me wrong, I've been laughing my rear end off for the last two days. It just sucks that the fucks at wsb managed to spin this scheme as some kind of act of class warfare and that social media is eating it up.

What's gonna happen is that the hedge fund company is gonna declare bankruptcy, skip out on most of the debt and the workers are gonna go on to new jobs and don't give a gently caress about this in a couple of months. Meanwhile, hundred of thousands(or even millions)of regular people will lose their money/life saving in this dumb ponzi scheme. Some of them old people who gonna end up in the streets. What a great cause to rally behind.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

GABA ghoul posted:

Meanwhile, hundred of thousands(or even millions)of regular people will lose their money/life saving in this dumb ponzi scheme. Some of them old people who gonna end up in the streets. What a great cause to rally behind.

Yeah this is how it looks to me too. Whoever said itt 'look around the poker table and if you can't figure out who the mark is it's you' is dead on.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Steeltalon posted:

Probably. Bitcoin is open source and Dogecoin is basically an exact copy of bitcoin in all except name.

My understanding is that Dogecoin differs from other coins in that it has a picture of a dog. This fundamental value proposition is currently causing its price to skyrocket.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 29, 2021

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Dogecoin?

Wow! Such value! Many profits! So number!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

Dogecoin?

Wow! Such value! Many profits! So number!

Very gambling!

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I wish we had atlas from the first bitcoin thread in here I d love to hear his take on it

Talen_Soti
Mar 30, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

Don't get me wrong, I've been laughing my rear end off for the last two days. It just sucks that the fucks at wsb managed to spin this scheme as some kind of act of class warfare and that social media is eating it up.

What's gonna happen is that the hedge fund company is gonna declare bankruptcy, skip out on most of the debt and the workers are gonna go on to new jobs and don't give a gently caress about this in a couple of months. Meanwhile, hundred of thousands(or even millions)of regular people will lose their money/life saving in this dumb ponzi scheme. Some of them old people who gonna end up in the streets. What a great cause to rally behind.

You, my good goon, make a valid point. I am, however about 2 weeks away from being on the street due to multiple factors: Pandemic causing John Deere to cut back on orders, causing my company to cut an entire shift last march with 2 weeks severance pay. Working odd tech jobs to keep the lights and heat on. Being told I'm either underqualified or over qualified for every job I've applied for, including being underqualified by an actual company and overqualified by the temp agency that they were hiring through. So I say, gently caress it. Let us enjoy our bread and circuses and let it all burn.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
How many pogs should I buy right now

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sir John Falstaff posted:

My understanding is that Dogecoin differs from other coins in that it has a picture of a dog. This fundamental value proposition is currently causing its price to skyrocket.

Unlike bitcoin, dogecoin has no maximum of coins that can be mined. So this literally useless meme asset that has absolutely no intrinsic value or application will constantly get even more worthless for all eternity

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Another Bill posted:

Yeah this is how it looks to me too. Whoever said itt 'look around the poker table and if you can't figure out who the mark is it's you' is dead on.

Are you the mark? It's you, right?

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

Can you short hedge funds? Asking for a friend.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

GABA ghoul posted:

Unlike bitcoin, dogecoin has no maximum of coins that can be mined. So this literally useless meme asset that has absolutely no intrinsic value or application will constantly get even more worthless for all eternity

It's like actual money but fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dErRj6V8_xQ

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
"Society is much like fruit. Once it matures, it is inevitable that it will eventually rot. As the economy grows, the private sector stagnates as elders and bureaucrats become more and more powerful... As time passes, this power becomes the status quo, and crushes the seeds of any possible reformation... such a sad trend."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

GABA ghoul posted:

Are you saying I should buy more or...?