Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Does this mean the Jedi Council were passing those kids around like a swap meet?

I think there was a skit in 'Chappelle's Show' that addressed this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The sequel trilogy is too pointless to bother making non-canon; the state of the galaxy after TRoS is basically identical to RotJ.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Not with that truly dire script as a foundation, they couldn't. No wonder they wanted the actors to improvise everything on set. It was the only way they could attempt any kind of salvage of the project.

Now id they had been able to write the thing, then absolutely they could have made it great.

It's still really funny the things Lucasfilm PR threw at Lord and Miller after the fact to justify their firing. Things like them trying to bring comedy to Star Wars or giving the actors advice, as if these are completely beyond the pale of sanity.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pigbuster posted:

The sequel trilogy is too pointless to bother making non-canon; the state of the galaxy after TRoS is basically identical to RotJ.
It's just really stupid to me because essentially the thesis of the post-RoTJ stuff is that nothing the original trilogy characters did mattered.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Chairman Capone posted:

It's still really funny the things Lucasfilm PR threw at Lord and Miller after the fact to justify their firing. Things like them trying to bring comedy to Star Wars or giving the actors advice...

The thing I remember from that was Emilia Clarke admitting she didn't know what film noir or a femme fatale was.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

Steve Mnuchin's wife made a movie, and by "made" I mean she wrote, directed, and stars in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TBBE3FyHlI

This trailer is amazing garbage. This comes across as someone's self insert Mary Sue story, the movie.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

8one6 posted:

The thing I remember from that was Emilia Clarke admitting she didn't know what film noir or a femme fatale was.

To be fair, actors generally need actionable direction. Telling her to do a scene "film noir" doesn't really inform her about what the directors think her character's objective in the scene is.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

8one6 posted:

That's a bad example, because both of those things are not directions for a scene. Plenty of directors have gotten good performances put of Clarke, so I doubt the trouble was with her.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Grendels Dad posted:

Pretty sure they would only replace the lovely new canon they introduced with an even newer and just as lovely canon.

Also, why is everybody talking about that dumbass' prediction all of a sudden? There must be five thousand Youtube videos with insider knowledge and predictions on that level, could someone elaborate on what makes DOOMCOCK's claims noteworthy? Or is it just an excuse to reminisce on how terrible most of Disney Star Wars is?

When DOOMCOCK comes people listen

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

muscles like this! posted:

This trailer is amazing garbage. This comes across as someone's self insert Mary Sue story, the movie.

Mnuchin is 100% a cuckhold

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's just really stupid to me because essentially the thesis of the post-RoTJ stuff is that nothing the original trilogy characters did mattered.

I'm not digging up the Disney tweet, but there was some pitch for some future line of comics or something about how "Don't worry, Rey, Finn and Poe still have plenty of Stormtroopers to fight! The battle's not over yet!"

And it's like, oh, cool. So nothing mattered and all those sacrifices were for nothing. Cool. Cool ending to the big trilogy. Can't possibly just have them fight some new aliens or take on Hutt mercenaries or something.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean there’s still nazis out there in the world so it’s not like what they did was baseless.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is this the first indication that they are making a direct sequel to the original Cloverfield?

https://www.ign.com/articles/cloverfield-new-sequel-from-batman-tv-series-showrunner-wont-be-found-footage

The article says that this will not be found footage like the original, but it will be a direct sequel to the original movie and not just set in the same universe like 10 Cloverfield Lane and The Cloverfield Paradox.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Finally. My boy returns.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I would watch a feature length nature documentary about what the cloverfield monster gets up to in the ruins of NYC.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Flying Zamboni posted:

I would watch a feature length nature documentary about what the cloverfield monster gets up to in the ruins of NYC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1lnqp9dx6g

Enjoy my embarrassing doc I made years ago.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Solo could have good if they had let Lord and Miller just do their thing.

It could have been good if they'd picked one plot. The film had about five, and we rushed through all of them so quickly. Han finding his way off his crime ridden homeworld would have been good. Han flunking out of the imperial flight academy and seeing the sharp end of the empire would have been good. Han teaming up with a criminal gang, just one, would have been good. Han having to negotiate a Lovecraftian stretch of space filled with giant monsters would have been good. The problem is the film tried to do them all, leaving it feeling like multiple tv episodes stitched together.

Chairman Capone posted:

Looks like one of the hangars from the Battlestar Galactica.

The art book for The Force Awakens was really eye-opening. The concept art had a lot of wild ideas for what Kylo Ren, Luke, the new stormtroopers (including a cool insectoid look), star destroyers, and TIE Fighters should look like... and they went with the absolute most derivative looks from the original trilogy.

Do you have a link or some scans or anything? This sounds really cool.

Chairman Capone posted:

It's still really funny the things Lucasfilm PR threw at Lord and Miller after the fact to justify their firing. Things like them trying to bring comedy to Star Wars or giving the actors advice, as if these are completely beyond the pale of sanity.

Which is great since Irwin Kershner, when asked what he thought made Empire Strikes Back work, just said 'I put in heaps of jokes.'

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 30, 2021

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/KivanBay/status/1355255431585689600?s=19

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Snowman_McK posted:

Which is great since Irwin Kershner, when asked what he thought made Empire Strikes Back work, just said 'I put in heaps of jokes.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gh7AcuxfxI

Checks out!

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

God and I thought they gouged you on the popcorn.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Chairman Capone posted:

Didn't Spiderverse come out like right after that, just to add insult to injury?

Edit: If they ever do another sequel trilogy I can at least take some solace in the fact that all the original actors will probably be dead by then, so maybe they'll stop rolling out increasingly decrepit-looking OT characters every chance they get. Then again Deepfakes are a thing and Disney has infinite money so even that's not a guarantee. Lord knows the sure tried with Rouge One and RoS.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 30, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

When people suggested at having the movie theater experience, but at home, I don't think they meant the way over priced food.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I dunno, I could see a common menu simulate a kind of shared experience for streaming releases. This one's kind of a lazy cash-in for a poo poo film but I could imagine Harry Potter dorks eating whatever dumb food Harry Potter eats while watching the latest Harry Potter release together.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I dunno, I could see a common menu simulate a kind of shared experience for streaming releases. This one's kind of a lazy cash-in for a poo poo film but I could imagine Harry Potter dorks eating whatever dumb food Harry Potter eats while watching the latest Harry Potter release together.

Avoid the Soylent Green box AT ALL COST!

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Hannibal Lector box when?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Anyone who orders the Lament Configuration is just poo poo outta luck.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Fartington Butts posted:

Hannibal Lector box when?

If they got the food stylist from the Hannibal TV show to make a meal kit, it would definitely be worth $130.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

AceOfFlames posted:

If they got the food stylist from the Hannibal TV show to make a meal kit, it would definitely be worth $130.

Even more so if they source the same ingredients from Hannibal, the movie.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Shin Ultraman looks neat

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Do you have a link or some scans or anything? This sounds really cool.

My book is boxed away now, but I'll try and get it out soon and take some pictures. Though just an example of how different the concept art was than from they used, these guys were one of the original proposals for Kylo Ren that got ditched for the Vader look:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Guavian_security_soldier

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Weren't the Knights of Ren from RotS also using earlier Kyle Ren concept art?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Weren't the Knights of Ren from RotS also using earlier Kyle Ren concept art?

Some of them might be, but from what I remember from the art book, they were developed later, after the basic Vader look for Kylo was settled on. I know in the earliest concept pieces for them they were just called "gang members" or something like that.

Phasma's design (a caped chrome stormtrooper) was another early Kylo concept design. Phasma's entire character actually came from Kathleen Kennedy seeing the unused concept art and telling Abrams to put that character into the movie. Explains a lot about how developed and central to the story Phasma was.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
There's a neat scene in the making of documentary for Attack of the Clones where Lucas is examining dozens of sculpted clay models prepared by the design crew, and only one of them goes on to become beloved character Dexter Jettster. Concept artist must be one of the most frustrating jobs in the world; 90% of whatever you make is, by design, left on the cutting room floor.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Rochallor posted:

There's a neat scene in the making of documentary for Attack of the Clones where Lucas is examining dozens of sculpted clay models prepared by the design crew, and only one of them goes on to become beloved character Dexter Jettster. Concept artist must be one of the most frustrating jobs in the world; 90% of whatever you make is, by design, left on the cutting room floor.

I did UI design for a few years. If anything actually gets picked up to go on to the next round of coming up with 50 of concepts I considered that a success. The disheartening part is coming up with a bunch, of concepts some I liked more than others, and get told to trash 'em all and keep going. Though I'd bet if they're doing clay models this is already far into the process past sketches and more sketches and more sketches.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Rochallor posted:

There's a really good interview with David Lynch where he's talking about getting offered the Return of the Jedi gig. He has this story about a meeting with Lucas who takes him to the production office to show off all these creature designs, and Lucas gets super excited by it all, but lynch just nopes the gently caress out of there. Lynch understandly plays it up for laughs, but the idea that for Lucas this is what the movie is about is kinda interesting

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rochallor posted:

Or they will reuse it decades later.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 31, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
david lynch make a star war

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rochallor posted:

The Lord of the Rings boxed sets were full to the brim of concept art, all of which was really good and a bunch of which i like a lot better than the finished work.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Chairman Capone posted:

Some of them might be, but from what I remember from the art book, they were developed later, after the basic Vader look for Kylo was settled on. I know in the earliest concept pieces for them they were just called "gang members" or something like that.

Phasma's design (a caped chrome stormtrooper) was another early Kylo concept design. Phasma's entire character actually came from Kathleen Kennedy seeing the unused concept art and telling Abrams to put that character into the movie. Explains a lot about how developed and central to the story Phasma was.

Wasn't Phasma's whole thing that Abrams really loves Phantasm and wanted a chrome stormtrooper to be like the ball from Phantasm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

He did name her after the film.

He also wanted to screen "Phanstasm" for the Bad Robot employees, and called Don Coscarelli and inquired about getting a HD version of the film to show. Coscarelli told him there was no HD version of the film, so JJ took it upon himself to have the movie upgraded.