Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

bawfuls posted:

I dunno, he was on the ‘07 and ‘13 Sox teams but not the ‘04 one that really has historical significance. Meanwhile as a Cub he was absolutely key to their 2016 run. Not only putting up 5.6 bWAR in the regular season (3rd best of his career) but he had an excellent October, winning NLCS MVP, posting a 2.02 ERA across 5 starts, and racking up 19.3% cWPA.

He was also very good in both 2007 and 2013 for Boston but he didn’t win a series MVP and those championships certainly don’t mean as much to Boston as 2004.

While all of this is true, Jon Lester was the first person to show Re2pect to Derek Jeter and he did it by tipping a Red Sox hat so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

I dunno, he was on the ‘07 and ‘13 Sox teams but not the ‘04 one that really has historical significance. Meanwhile as a Cub he was absolutely key to their 2016 run. Not only putting up 5.6 bWAR in the regular season (3rd best of his career) but he had an excellent October, winning NLCS MVP, posting a 2.02 ERA across 5 starts, and racking up 19.3% cWPA.

He was also very good in both 2007 and 2013 for Boston but he didn’t win a series MVP and those championships certainly don’t mean as much to Boston as 2004.

It's definitely true from a team standpoint that the Cubs championship was more important, but for him personally, he was with Boston when he beat lymphoma and I have to imagine that counts for a lot.

Closer than I was thinking, though! Totally forgot he wasn't there in '04. Feels like he's been pitching forever.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

clearly lester needs to retire an oakland a, after the magical...what, 10 games he pitched for them?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

I work with a few of the old Midway guys who built the electronics for those arcade cabinets. I never knew about a MLB Jam, I'll have to ask them about it next time I'm in the office which may not be for awhile yet.

more falafel please posted:

I worked at Midway, but I didn't start until 2006, well after the arcade era. There was MLB Slugfest, which was the (console) spiritual MLB version of NBA Jam.

Wow Midway games had a bigger presence in Chicago than I realized. I went to junior high school with the son of an executive producer there. It was cool seeing his name in the credits after beating Mortal Kombat II.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Poque posted:

Totally forgot he wasn't there in '04. Feels like he's been pitching forever.
It's more that 2004 was more than forever ago. No one from the 04 team is still playing and only 6 players who played in mlb in 04 played in 2020.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Wow Midway games had a bigger presence in Chicago than I realized. I went to junior high school with the son of an executive producer there. It was cool seeing his name in the credits after beating Mortal Kombat II.

Yeah, for those of us in the Chicago game industry that have been around a long enough time, there's basically "ex-Midway", "ex-EA Chicago", and youngins.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

bawfuls posted:

Obviously nothing will ever equal 2004, but that 2013 team comes closest of any of the other three. You had the combination of the bombing, "our loving city," the beards, and winning at home.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

TheFlyingLlama posted:

clearly lester needs to retire an oakland a, after the magical...what, 10 games he pitched for them?

Ya he can probably get some Bonilla style payment over 10 years and make 750k during the season he actually pitches!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The two guys I work with are both unlock-able players in NBA Jam which was a weird revelation when I first started working there.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
https://twitter.com/baseballcontext/status/1355278201875017728?s=20 :thunk:

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Mystery Team strikes again!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

out: the knucklepuck
in: the 12-6 curvepuck

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/status/1355339642044882945?s=20

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
NY media is going to town on him for his alleged involvement with the short sellers.

E: also barstool has it out for him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

(frank costanza voice) you sold short!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/1355345919185743873?s=21

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hey good job by the Cardinals

That is awesome

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rockies sending 50 million !!!

Lamo the sport is stupid

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Uhhh that has to be a record amount right?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
The Cardinals were gonna win the division anyway.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Baseball is so hosed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hmm well maybe 50 mill isn’t so crazy

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

They just straight purchased him lol

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
And it looks like they're not giving up anything of note.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1355347218878902273?s=20

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

talk radio here is gonna be lit tomorrow :getin:

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
So now the question is do the Rockies trade Story before the season or in July?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This is incredibly dumb, the hell is wrong with these teams? Sign a huge name player to a massive contract and then pay someone else $50 million to play for them. Makes the Darvish trade look like a steal.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess they were afraid he’d opt in with them???

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Nooooooooo

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Great he goes from my second favorite team to my most hated team

And why would they pay the cards to take him geez

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Great now I have to hate Nolan Arenado for the next 6 years well he owns Cubs slap dick starters.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Sucking Goldschmidt AND Arenado out of the NL West lol

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Poque posted:

Sucking Goldschmidt AND Arenado out of the NL West lol

They're trying to assemble the best infield of the 2010 NL West... just need Machado for SS and then I'm not sure who the best 2B from the 2010s in the NL West was. Ketel Marte?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Kiké gone

Arenado gone

Giants gonna win 100 games this year

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Popete posted:

This is incredibly dumb, the hell is wrong with these teams? Sign a huge name player to a massive contract and then pay someone else $50 million to play for them. Makes the Darvish trade look like a steal.

The Rockies thought process has always been a bit different than every other team

but this might take the cake

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Glad he’s out of the division ... I guess? Now he’ll get imbued with Cardinals devil magic in October though.

Pretty weak rear end trade after all the hype about what it’d take to get him

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 30, 2021

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Poque posted:

Nooooooooo

Let’s hope that sub-.800 OPS away from Denver holds up because he’s going to destroy the Cubs for years*

*Or year. Apparently he’s still gonna have opt-outs the next two winters.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Oh I completely misread that tweet and thought the Cards were shipping the cash

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I just don't see how the MLB can continue to sustain itself with single digit teams actually giving poo poo at any given time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
lol the Rockies are literally killing any reason for their fanbase to care. They actually locked in their beloved star for his entire career and dump him anyway.

Cleveland is also signing Eddie Rosario. Good to see they decided to finally get an actual outfielder for the first time since Michael Brantley after they already dumped Lindor.