Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Once again proving my point that border collies always look like they're up to something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I've never felt more judged by a dog than by Quigly. I would cuddle the hell out of him

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Would pet Quigley until they are tired of it.

Here's Thomas not judging the lack of petting goin on or anything.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a bit of a tough but ever-present subject:

I posted about my old girl a couple months back, and her blind eye has since gotten progressively worse and more hosed up, bulging, the lower inner eyelid has been pushed up and out by something, etc. We got a vet appointment and they said that it is like 99% probability a cancerous tumor in her eye socket that is pushing her eye out and inflaming the area(the side of her face), but there is a slight chance it's just an aggressive infection. They prescribed antibiotics and painkillers, and said that if she doesn't improve after a week, that we should absolutely consider euthanizing her because she is in a lot of pain from the inflammation.

It's been a couple days and I don't know if the antibiotics are actually doing anything, but it seems like the painkillers are working much better than the one she had been prescribed before. This morning she actually hopped around a bit while waiting for me to get her a treat, which she hasn't done in like a year. Like, little hop-hop-hops. But I have a question about euthanizing her or not. It's probably some kind of aggressive cancer that is going to kill her eventually since it's right by her brain and if it isn't just straight up a brain tumor it'll probably metastasize into one in short order. But as of right now, she's actually acting pretty normal, basically like she was prior to the eye problem began, and she can even eat relatively normally when she was having trouble chewing before, likely from the inflammation. The rest of her body is fine, her kidneys, liver, bloodwork etc are all aces.

My question is this: if the painkillers are doing their job and she seems to be doing okay besides the ugly malformation of her eye, is it okay to just continue the painkillers, maybe increase the strength over time if necessary, and let her go out on her own, rather than pull the trigger on euthanasia immediately? Before I started her on the painkillers, she wouldn't even get up to greet me when I came home from work, but now she gets up and is ready to go out to piddle right away.

As well, I'm not completely averse to euthanasia, if she becomes crippled by the growth or something happens to her cognitive functions, I would absolutely do it to save her the suffering. My other dog that was with her developed severe dementia and didn't even recognize her own bed at a certain point, and so I was able to make the decision a lot easier since, well, I felt like she had already "died", in that her brain just was completely gone at that point, she didn't recognize anything and so was in a near-constant state of terror of the unknown. But Rosie, she's still sharp as a tack despite being over 18 years old, it's just physical frailty and this eye thing that's slowing her down, so if she can continue on while on painkillers, I would like to do so if possible.

It's tough. She was my sister's dog, and when my sister was murdered, she became our dog, so I've got an especially powerful connection with her. If she goes out in her sleep, I'd be bummed the gently caress out of course, but I've come to terms with losing her eventually for the most part, and don't think it'd weigh on me nearly as much as actively making the choice myself. Cowardly, maybe, but also, if she's able to continue on largely okay on painkillers, as long as they're not inhibiting her daily life, I'd like to let her continue on for at least a little while longer.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jan 21, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Whatever you decide to do will be the right decision. Trust your heart.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Definitely going to have a very normal and not at all deranged day. Totally going to let my human dad get a lot of work done without interference.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Definitely going to have a very normal and not at all deranged day. Totally going to let my human dad get a lot of work done without interference.

That is an amazing blanket. Is the hat integral, or just comes with the package?
2 awesome 4 u

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

https://gfycat.com/defianttestyguppy

I bless you hooman. And you. And you.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

We had two bags of treats, seventy-five pounds of jerky, five bundles of two-ply toilet paper, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored balls, ropes, kongs, frisbees... and for the human, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a package of pork rinds and two dozen ibuprofen.
Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious work from home situation, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
We don't deserve dogs

https://cbs12.com/news/inside-your-world/dog-follows-waits-for-days-for-owner-outside-hospital

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

I posted about my old girl a couple months back, and her blind eye has since gotten progressively worse and more hosed up, bulging, the lower inner eyelid has been pushed up and out by something, etc. We got a vet appointment and they said that it is like 99% probability a cancerous tumor in her eye socket that is pushing her eye out and inflaming the area(the side of her face), but there is a slight chance it's just an aggressive infection. They prescribed antibiotics and painkillers, and said that if she doesn't improve after a week, that we should absolutely consider euthanizing her because she is in a lot of pain from the inflammation.

It's been a couple days and I don't know if the antibiotics are actually doing anything, but it seems like the painkillers are working much better than the one she had been prescribed before. This morning she actually hopped around a bit while waiting for me to get her a treat, which she hasn't done in like a year. Like, little hop-hop-hops. But I have a question about euthanizing her or not. It's probably some kind of aggressive cancer that is going to kill her eventually since it's right by her brain and if it isn't just straight up a brain tumor it'll probably metastasize into one in short order. But as of right now, she's actually acting pretty normal, basically like she was prior to the eye problem began, and she can even eat relatively normally when she was having trouble chewing before, likely from the inflammation. The rest of her body is fine, her kidneys, liver, bloodwork etc are all aces.

My question is this: if the painkillers are doing their job and she seems to be doing okay besides the ugly malformation of her eye, is it okay to just continue the painkillers, maybe increase the strength over time if necessary, and let her go out on her own, rather than pull the trigger on euthanasia immediately? Before I started her on the painkillers, she wouldn't even get up to greet me when I came home from work, but now she gets up and is ready to go out to piddle right away.

As well, I'm not completely averse to euthanasia, if she becomes crippled by the growth or something happens to her cognitive functions, I would absolutely do it to save her the suffering. My other dog that was with her developed severe dementia and didn't even recognize her own bed at a certain point, and so I was able to make the decision a lot easier since, well, I felt like she had already "died", in that her brain just was completely gone at that point, she didn't recognize anything and so was in a near-constant state of terror of the unknown. But Rosie, she's still sharp as a tack despite being over 18 years old, it's just physical frailty and this eye thing that's slowing her down, so if she can continue on while on painkillers, I would like to do so if possible.

It's tough. She was my sister's dog, and when my sister was murdered, she became our dog, so I've got an especially powerful connection with her. If she goes out in her sleep, I'd be bummed the gently caress out of course, but I've come to terms with losing her eventually for the most part, and don't think it'd weigh on me nearly as much as actively making the choice myself. Cowardly, maybe, but also, if she's able to continue on largely okay on painkillers, as long as they're not inhibiting her daily life, I'd like to let her continue on for at least a little while longer.

If the painkillers are doing their job, and she's having a good quality of life, then love the gently caress out of her while you've got her. If everything else is fine but the eye, and the pain killers stop the suffering, then let it ride.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

We deserve each others love.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Captain Invictus posted:

Echoing previous posts to say that whatever you think is best is the correct course of action. There is no cowardice here. I can't imagine your emotions. Sending love.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

the dichotomy of the sunbeam

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm so sorry, this is a real hard situation to be in and it's never a easy reality to have to face.

I think if she's still having good quality of life on the painkillers then there is no real harm in using them to keep her comfortable for as long as they remain effective. If it's time you'll know, you know your dog best and will do what's best for her.

Considering the possibility of euthanization is very uncomfortable and is a very difficult thing to think about. In my experience, vets don't bring up the possibility lightly so if they do its best to be prepared. I've found it comforting to think of it as one last thing I could do for them. A chance to say goodbye on set terms surrounded by family instead of random chance.

I hope you have many more good days with your dog and I'm very sorry she's ill.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Brute Squad posted:

the dichotomy of the sunbeam

Your slippers seem very angular.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
As long as she isn't in pain. You do need to make sure you have an honest conversation about it with your vet. Make sure you are looking at this from the perspective of the animal and not your own, probably the hardest part. I know my dogs are a huge part of me. Noone can judge you for whatever action you take.

Dap has mostly stabilized and I'm hoping he gets quite a few years but just the thought of losing him crushed me for a month.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 24, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's even more difficult because I'm not allowed to see the vet. they take the pet inside and you sit in the car waiting until they call you and talk to you about it.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I feel you buddy, I wish we could make this easier.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
https://twitter.com/dog_rates/status/1353756055117864965?s=19

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Arglebargledness is off the scale today. It’s ok, I didn’t want to do any work to begin with.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, the vet said that she's doing much better in terms of activity and attitude, but that if her eye continues to deteriorate like it is due to the pressure from the growth somewhere in her eye socket, that the eyeball will likely eventually rupture and basically that's a "That's All, Folks" scenario. She estimated we've only got a couple weeks, maybe less, with her before then, if the growth continues unabated. So at least I get a bit more time with her while she's in higher spirits before the end. Sucks they can't just get the eyeball out since it's toast anyways, but apparently that's way more involved surgery than I thought it would be so I guess there's nothing that can be done except spending time with her until the end.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Monty makes the best faces :kimchi:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

This is a dog who is very upset that his dad put a jacket on him for his last walk of the evening.

VERY upset.

Sirius Jayne
Nov 29, 2020

Jayne's getting Sirius

Captain Invictus posted:

Well, the vet said that she's doing much better in terms of activity and attitude, but that if her eye continues to deteriorate like it is due to the pressure from the growth somewhere in her eye socket, that the eyeball will likely eventually rupture and basically that's a "That's All, Folks" scenario. She estimated we've only got a couple weeks, maybe less, with her before then, if the growth continues unabated. So at least I get a bit more time with her while she's in higher spirits before the end. Sucks they can't just get the eyeball out since it's toast anyways, but apparently that's way more involved surgery than I thought it would be so I guess there's nothing that can be done except spending time with her until the end.

I'm so sorry for your pain, and i'm just echoing the other wise words i've read here about this, in the hopes that it helps you. Our dogs are so much a part of our lives and while i don't know your situation i'm going to say i'm GLAD that there's a pandemic going on, and you may have the opportunity to spend more time with them than otherwise might be possible. Love on her and enjoy her and maybe there's some comfort in the image of her and your sister's spirits re-united in some way. Whatever you believe happens next, I think, there's some solace in knowing that you took her when she needed a home, you loved her and you've bonded, and you'll know when it's time, she may well tell you. dammit now i'm crying and gotta go hug my dogs. I have a friend who does some pretty awesome portraits from pictures. If you'd like to see about one DM me and I'll make sure that happens for you.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

This is a dog who is very upset that his dad put a jacket on him for his last walk of the evening.

VERY upset.

You monster!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sirius Jayne posted:

I'm so sorry for your pain, and i'm just echoing the other wise words i've read here about this, in the hopes that it helps you. Our dogs are so much a part of our lives and while i don't know your situation i'm going to say i'm GLAD that there's a pandemic going on, and you may have the opportunity to spend more time with them than otherwise might be possible. Love on her and enjoy her and maybe there's some comfort in the image of her and your sister's spirits re-united in some way. Whatever you believe happens next, I think, there's some solace in knowing that you took her when she needed a home, you loved her and you've bonded, and you'll know when it's time, she may well tell you. dammit now i'm crying and gotta go hug my dogs. I have a friend who does some pretty awesome portraits from pictures. If you'd like to see about one DM me and I'll make sure that happens for you.
Thank you for the kind words. Unfortunately, she has begun deteriorating rapidly, and no longer immediately recognizes mom. she still recognizes me because I interact with her multiple times a day, but she sometimes just stares blankly at mom. Her eye is getting much worse, and there was a moment when I let her out(I never put her on the chain when she goes out since she rarely wanders off when I'm standing there) and she did this weird thing where she just kinda stared off aimlessly and began walking. It almost felt like she was ready to walk off into the night and die in the cold. She eventually came back inside(I was getting my shoes on to go out after her) but it felt really telling. It wasn't her normal "she knows she's not supposed to do this and does it anyways", it was a "I don't think she is aware of where she is anymore, but came to her senses after a bit" sense. The tumor is likely pressing on her brain, or growing into it, and causing her to forget things a lot. So I think it's time, and I think she knows too. Also, despite being perky after taking her painkillers with her ears at attention and wagging her tail, her head slowly droops down, a little at a time, as she stands there. It's so sad. I love her so, but it's time. We have an appointment on thursday for a checkup, but I think we're going to change it to send her off instead. It's the vet who has tended to her for over a decade now, so I want her to be the one to give her the euthanasia, like she did for our other dog.

I'm gonna be a mess.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Captain Invictus posted:

Thank you for the kind words. Unfortunately, she has begun deteriorating rapidly, and no longer immediately recognizes mom. she still recognizes me because I interact with her multiple times a day, but she sometimes just stares blankly at mom. Her eye is getting much worse, and there was a moment when I let her out(I never put her on the chain when she goes out since she rarely wanders off when I'm standing there) and she did this weird thing where she just kinda stared off aimlessly and began walking. It almost felt like she was ready to walk off into the night and die in the cold. She eventually came back inside(I was getting my shoes on to go out after her) but it felt really telling. It wasn't her normal "she knows she's not supposed to do this and does it anyways", it was a "I don't think she is aware of where she is anymore, but came to her senses after a bit" sense. The tumor is likely pressing on her brain, or growing into it, and causing her to forget things a lot. So I think it's time, and I think she knows too. Also, despite being perky after taking her painkillers with her ears at attention and wagging her tail, her head slowly droops down, a little at a time, as she stands there. It's so sad. I love her so, but it's time. We have an appointment on thursday for a checkup, but I think we're going to change it to send her off instead. It's the vet who has tended to her for over a decade now, so I want her to be the one to give her the euthanasia, like she did for our other dog.

I'm gonna be a mess.

:glomp: So sorry to hear this but I'm glad you gave her a good life & a happy home while she was here. I know the feeling of losing a pet & having to make that tough decision, most recently it wasn't even my dog but a friend's husky that passed from cancer complications a couple years ago. He was a good dog but we knew his quality of life was deteriorating fast & he was having a lot of mobility issues on top of it. Me & my friend both stayed with him & enjoyed a few hours before he went, which IMHO was the most important part: sure it was sad but he was with familiar people, comfortable & loved to the very end.

Only thing I can add to that is to not let a situation like this ever put you off getting another dog, lots of people end up not getting another animal when it can be extremely helpful with coping from the loss. Only you can know when the time is right, but you've been a good dog dad & that girl was blessed to have you.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, I've had dogs previously who were put down, I won't swear off getting another dog but I won't be getting another right away or anything. It'll probably be a couple months, unless we stumble upon a perfect dog to adopt by accident.

She's just a confluence of special circumstances that is making it especially painful.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
I dread the day that I have to make that decision. I’m so sorry you’re going through this

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

hi

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hi

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Wishbone?!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

hi

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Hi?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof