Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Zima exists in babylon 5

https://i.imgur.com/KnTQxEk.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 254 days!

Doctor Jeep posted:

just watch it for g'kar, him and londo are amazing characters
ds9 is better (and I usually don't like neither st nor sw stuff) but b5 is good too

ds9 vs b5 can be a contenious topic because both are so good

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Hell yeah

I should watch this after I'm finished with MacGyver in Space.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

devastating to see the SWAT show fail to live up to the film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N9oQUJJstQ

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Hell yeah

I should watch this after I'm finished with MacGyver in Space.

it's really just the best show, everyone who was ever on Star Trek is also on Babylon 5

jeffery combs, John Snyder, Walter Koenig, David Warner, and so on

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/0GC4AlT.mp4

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I like the scene in SWAT where they bust down a guy's wall and he thinks robot aliens are invading LA

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

devastating to see the SWAT show fail to live up to the film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N9oQUJJstQ

why did it matter that they used a dummy if the guys were already surrounded by cops and couldnt actually escape

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watched the latest episode of Wandavision and while the temporal mechanics of the Thanos snap and the post-Endgame return are still kinda handwavey I think it's cool that they're at least framing some of the story around the repercussions / consequences of it happening.

I didn't watch Spiderman Homecoming, but did that come up in the movie? People having to deal with coming back to existence after a few years of just being gone?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

gradenko_2000 posted:

I watched the latest episode of Wandavision and while the temporal mechanics of the Thanos snap and the post-Endgame return are still kinda handwavey I think it's cool that they're at least framing some of the story around the repercussions / consequences of it happening.

I didn't watch Spiderman Homecoming, but did that come up in the movie? People having to deal with coming back to existence after a few years of just being gone?

yeah, a bit. Far From Home is one of the better Marvel movies in the past.... well, out of all of them. the fight scenes with Mysterio are truly inventive and original

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6IUpuLoKlI

this is hell

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Let's be real: he would win

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

So he is planning to run in 2032 then?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

is this a prequel to 30 Rock?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Let's be real: he would win

he absolutely will win

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Egg Moron posted:

it's really just the best show, everyone who was ever on Star Trek is also on Babylon 5

jeffery combs, John Snyder, Walter Koenig, David Warner, and so on

Cool. I will check it out.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

It will be funny if he runs against Kamala

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 254 days!

Fleetwood posted:

in a better world this would be a smash hit rom-com

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes, but it wasn't explored in much depth.

The way they explain it is that the people who came back just reintegrate into society as if they time traveled ahead five years, but obviously five years have passed since then. So for instance Spider Man is in high school still, but thankfully I guess all his friends also got snapped so they didn't age five years while he was out of existence. Lucky him. The part that doesn't make sense is, if I remember from seeing the movie once, there's a guy who used to be a nerd or whatever but didn't get snapped and in the past five years became hot. It doesn't make sense because if this is someone that Peter Parker and his friends all knew before the snap, why is this guy still in their year in high school? Did he fail grade twelve five years in a row? Was he someone's younger sibling before? Are older siblings who got snapped now younger than their younger siblings who didn't get snapped?

If I remember right, in the movie this is mostly brushed off as an excuse to make jokes about how Peter Parker feels insecure because this guy who used to be a nerd like him is now a handsome hunk and he worries that Zendaya might be into this other guy instead, and then Spider Man almost assassinates the hunky guy with autonomous combat drones. The actual implications of jumping ahead five years aren't talked about much beyond the chance to make jokes like that.

Anyway the movie itself was good as MCU movies go, and the final Mysterio fight was great.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

People keep being baited that surely the most recent event will be of sufficient magnitude that the MCU/DCU will have to have some continuity beyond crossovers this time, then they switch to brushing it off via jokes or a back-reference in the opening scenes of only one or two other movies, and the bait-and-switch works every time

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

a dark future.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

in a better world this would be a smash hit rom-com

Swing State

"Right, Left, Love!"

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Bill Pullman as Kamala's hapless, rich husband

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Kamala's sister asks if she loves Dwayne Johnson and she can't give a straight answer

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
got around to watching Spider-Man: Far from Home and while I thought it was cute it also enacted one of my favorite but rarely played with questions of “what if superheroics were a false flag?”

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i did like how the movies response to the obvious observation of so were kind of hosed if nick furys either evil or just kind of a dumbass was just oh dont worry that wasnt the real nick fury he was on a special secret mission with aliens

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Holy jesus this third episode of Away is incredibly Orientalist.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The episode revolves around the Chinese astronaut having had a gay relationship with her Houston control center counterpart, and then the ground control lady is shipped off to a desk job after her supervisor finds a love note from the astronaut among her personal effects. This is depicted as being exceptionally difficult for the astronaut because China, and all the suppression of LGBT rights, and overbearing bureaucracy, and national interests taking precedence over personal rights, that that implies.

It literally has a scene where the Chinese parents scold their child for only getting a 98 on his math test! And then the astronaut quickly pivots to telling her son to keep drawing his comics even if he's in the middle of test season just because "it makes him happy", as a reflection of what she's feeling now where she wants her child to do something that he likes rather than what society demands of him. In another scene, the astronaut says that her marriage to her husband is a loveless, passion-less one, made only out of respect and expectations.

The big resolution is when NASA engineers find a way to let the astronaut talk to her lover without their call getting monitored by the Chinese authorities, which is yet another allusion to China being an authoritarian surveillance state, but is also ridiculous in the context of them being the first manned mission to Mars, of loving course all their comms are being monitored.

And finally, the episode title is a reference to Mao's quote of "Women hold up half the sky".

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/andrewchen/status/1151496486028488705

maybe im reading this wrong maybe when american kids say they want to be vloggers what they really mean is that they want to be gay

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im reading a brief history of seven killings and the constant gratuitous references to domestic abuse and fags are really starting to get on my nerves i was willing to tolerate it for awhile because most of the characters are jamaican and for all i knows thats how jamaicans in the seventies talked but i only just noticed the white american characters also do it possibly even more than the jamaicans do

its reminding me of wandavision chat in thats its a grotesque freak show version of the seventies that i think is meant to make people in the modern day seem more enlightened by comparison but its really ruined by any rudimentary literacy of what was actually produced back then in terms of cultural output because even loving robert crumb could go at least a few pages at a time without talking about how much he wanted to beat women and how loving other guys in the rear end was unmanly

that this entire part of the book is about not bob marley just makes this even more obnoxious because theres a seventies icon right there who managed to be really famous despite basically never engaging in either of those tropes and he also very conspicuously stands out as the only character who doesnt deploy them come to think of it basically every character except not bob marley is a huge rear end in a top hat even one who kind of seemed written sympathetically just busted out a baby shaking reference out of nowhere

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Some Guy TT posted:

maybe im reading this wrong maybe when american kids say they want to be vloggers what they really mean is that they want to be gay

Surprising to see the chinese kids pick a job that involves getting as far away as possible from china

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

im reading a brief history of seven killings and the constant gratuitous references to domestic abuse and fags are really starting to get on my nerves i was willing to tolerate it for awhile because most of the characters are jamaican and for all i knows thats how jamaicans in the seventies talked but i only just noticed the white american characters also do it possibly even more than the jamaicans do

its reminding me of wandavision chat in thats its a grotesque freak show version of the seventies that i think is meant to make people in the modern day seem more enlightened by comparison but its really ruined by any rudimentary literacy of what was actually produced back then in terms of cultural output because even loving robert crumb could go at least a few pages at a time without talking about how much he wanted to beat women and how loving other guys in the rear end was unmanly

that this entire part of the book is about not bob marley just makes this even more obnoxious because theres a seventies icon right there who managed to be really famous despite basically never engaging in either of those tropes and he also very conspicuously stands out as the only character who doesnt deploy them come to think of it basically every character except not bob marley is a huge rear end in a top hat even one who kind of seemed written sympathetically just busted out a baby shaking reference out of nowhere

that is absolutely how people were in the 70s and that book owns

Farm Frenzy has issued a correction as of 13:44 on Jan 31, 2021

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Aren't super heroes just juiced up cops?

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think that guy is confusing R Crumb with somebody else

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

puve posted:

Surprising to see the chinese kids pick a job that involves getting as far away as possible from china

China is actually the Ohio of the east

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Lib and let die posted:

Aren't super heroes just juiced up cops?

unless they're just straight up military officers like captain marvel

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

from capitalism.png

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

The author fleeing Jamaica because its an extremely violent, homophobic shithole might have informed his perspective on his home country, that he was run out of for being a gay after having undergone gay conversion therapy in his church. Possibly his use of exaggeration could be to illustrate the knock-on effects of neo-colonialism, from the US for example, and unrelenting poverty have on a culture. I'm sure you can figure out why the "white Americans" (read: CIA) are equally as violent and stupid as the slum gangsters and what the author might be saying with this comparison. Marlon James is one of the more interesting contemporary authors, imo, please put more effort into thinking about his work than you would a Marvel movie.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

vyelkin posted:

Was he someone's younger sibling before?

It was something like this. He was five years younger than them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Fleetwood posted:

Will he drop the People's Elbow on her?

Some Guy TT posted:

I really wanted to be an astronaut when I was a kid. Then, around age 6, I was informed I needed glasses. Life has basically been all downhill since then.