Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

WHY DID YOU GIVE IT MORE POWER BY SHOWING ITS IMAGE?

I'm already fat, this is gonna keep me there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
My Dad says that brownie is gross and too sweet and too much food and he eats Little Debbie fried pies and oatmeal cookies every single day. It takes a lot to make my dad call a dessert gross.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
he just doesn’t like it because it’s brown

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
If it was a nanaimo bar tray I’d be in trouble, but I’m meh on brownies.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
joe you son of a bitch where's my check i need to go to costco

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I love brownies. Not a big chocolate fan, but something about brownie texture/flavor really does it for me. I prefer my brownie to be as simple as possible, meaning no swirls of peanut butter, no icing, no crumble topping. Like if Amish or Quakers made a brownies instead of barns / sturdy furniture.

I think the only thing standing between me and a diabetes support group is the fact that brownie looks too... adulterated. Thank god.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I got the new mailer which starts on 2/3 and they're having $5 off the Robert Irvine Fit Crunch bars. :getin:

It only has 3g of sugar. I'm not sure how they pull that off.

Marketing. I may be too late to stop this, but these will spike your blood sugar almost as much as actual sugar. Maltitol is one of the single worst sugar alcohols you can ingest, yet despite that, it's marketed as a sugar alternative. Sure, it's an alternative, but its rated almost as high as sugar on the glycemic index. Whey protein will also spike your blood sugar, because it's burned quickly. That's the reason you ingest whey protein. You want a quick intake of protein for muscle recovery.

Hopefully, because the sale starts on Feb 3rd, I'm not too late to give you warning. Sure, you may not care about your blood sugar. Not everyone is on low carb and no sugar diets. In that case, these are probably fine. I didn't like the flavor and the packaging made me feel embarrassed for buying them.

If you need suggestions on actual low sugar/low carb protein bars, feel free to PM me. Unfortunately almost none of them are sold at Costco. If you are really trying to just get protein with no carbs, you still can't go wrong with meat. Some beef jerky is loaded with sugar. There is a guy on SAMart that sells a really good beef jerky and depending on the flavoring you get, some of them are super low on sugar. He seems to use more of a smoky flavoring. The steak fry version is amazing.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

fischtick posted:

I love brownies. Not a big chocolate fan, but something about brownie texture/flavor really does it for me. I prefer my brownie to be as simple as possible, meaning no swirls of peanut butter, no icing, no crumble topping. Like if Amish or Quakers made a brownies instead of barns / sturdy furniture.

I think the only thing standing between me and a diabetes support group is the fact that brownie looks too... adulterated. Thank god.

You and I have the same opinion on brownies, chocolate and seemingly, life. I'm not a chocolate lover and always go with vanilla when given an option. A plain, soft brownie with some vanilla ice cream is my jam.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

ShowTime posted:

Marketing. I may be too late to stop this, but these will spike your blood sugar almost as much as actual sugar. Maltitol is one of the single worst sugar alcohols you can ingest, yet despite that, it's marketed as a sugar alternative. Sure, it's an alternative, but its rated almost as high as sugar on the glycemic index. Whey protein will also spike your blood sugar, because it's burned quickly. That's the reason you ingest whey protein. You want a quick intake of protein for muscle recovery.

Hopefully, because the sale starts on Feb 3rd, I'm not too late to give you warning. Sure, you may not care about your blood sugar. Not everyone is on low carb and no sugar diets. In that case, these are probably fine. I didn't like the flavor and the packaging made me feel embarrassed for buying them.

If you need suggestions on actual low sugar/low carb protein bars, feel free to PM me. Unfortunately almost none of them are sold at Costco. If you are really trying to just get protein with no carbs, you still can't go wrong with meat. Some beef jerky is loaded with sugar. There is a guy on SAMart that sells a really good beef jerky and depending on the flavoring you get, some of them are super low on sugar. He seems to use more of a smoky flavoring. The steak fry version is amazing.

I want to see more on that because I eat those very occasionally as a treat and I'm type 1 diabetic. I've never noticed them raising my blood glucose on my monitor and I don't have to bolus on my pump if I have half of one? It may be that I don't eat anything at all with sugar in it otherwise, but I'd like to know more. Especially since it was my Endo that recommended low-sugar (NOT sugar-free) protein bars. I'd like to warn him if that's true.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

fizzymercy posted:

I want to see more on that because I eat those very occasionally as a treat and I'm type 1 diabetic. I've never noticed them raising my blood glucose on my monitor and I don't have to bolus on my pump if I have half of one? It may be that I don't eat anything at all with sugar in it otherwise, but I'd like to know more. Especially since it was my Endo that recommended low-sugar (NOT sugar-free) protein bars. I'd like to warn him if that's true.

Uh, I would trust your own doctor and ask him instead of some dude on the internet, just saying

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Yeah I'm kinda being a nard and asking them to show their proof.

But also my Endo just said "eat low sugar protein bars for a fun treat but NOT CANDY BARS" and kinda left it at that. And let me tell you what, they are largely abysmal and I don't want to lose the Fit Crunch bars.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

fizzymercy posted:

Which part specifically? If you just search for glycemic index sugar alcohol or glycemic index sweetener you can see many lists and articles about how different sweeteners, artificial or not, affect your blood sugar levels. Your doctor is right and wrong. Some sugar alcohols are perfectly fine, but they aren't all created equal. Some of them are worse than straight sugar. A lot of also comes down to how much they put in a food.

Erythritol has always been my go to. It isn't absorbed but tastes pretty sweet, without that "off" flavor some of them have. Monk fruit is another one of my favorites. You even need to be careful with some of the good ones though. Sometimes they are "cut" with bad sugar alcohols. The sugar alcohol game is absolutely wild. Everyone wants to be able to print that magic "low carb, low sugar" or "no sugar added" phrase on their packages. That's not always the case.

Whey protein is also a weird one, because some studies have shown that it decreases your blood sugar levels over time. It spikes initially, but some studies have shown that when eaten with other high glycemic foods, over time they tend to have a lower blood sugar level than if they didn't ingest whey. I'd honestly just start Googling and reading articles/studies. There are a lot of published studies and they tend to have various results. There hasn't an end-all, be all type study for whey. Most of the studies I have been able to find are using a pool of like 10-30 subjects.

I was fat for a very long time and about 3 years ago I started researching low-sugar, low-carb diets and gradually over time have just absorbed a lot of information. It takes going into a store, reading packaging and searching for specific ingredients to find out how they affect people. Then you join a couple different sub reddits, read the studies that get posted and just end up with a lot of info.

pnumoman posted:

Uh, I would trust your own doctor and ask him instead of some dude on the internet, just saying

And he isn't wrong. But like I said, not all of them are created equally.

Edit: When it comes down to it, you kind of have to research it yourself. That's why I didn't post any articles. It's up to you to do the research yourself and not listen to a guy on the internet.
Edit 2: Last edit, i'd also like to add that it's not like doctors haven't been wrong before. You should for sure listen to them and again, the doctor isn't necessarily wrong, just not as specific as they could have been. Research it yourself, read up on all the specific alternative sweeteners, speak to your doctor about what you find, etc. And i'm sorry I turned this into another big thing, like my take on Kirkland brand peanut butter. That's why I initially recommended people PMing me if they were interested. Now we are back to talking about low carb, low sugar diets and I didn't necessarily want that.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 30, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ShowTime posted:

Yeah I'm not diabetic and my blood sugar is just fine so I don't care about it spiking, if it even does. But yeah, the packaging is terrible. Someone else said that it looks like an "AS SEEN ON TV" product and that's a pretty good description.

fizzymercy posted:

Well if you're measuring your glucose levels after you eat the protein bar and it's just fine then I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'd still ask your doctor of course.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 30, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah I'm not diabetic and my blood sugar is just fine so I don't care about it spiking, if it even does. But yeah, the packaging is terrible. Someone else said that it looks like an "AS SEEN ON TV" product and that's a pretty good description.

Well if you're measuring your glucose levels after you eat the protein bar and it's just fine then I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'd still ask your doctor of course.

The name alone makes it sound cheesy but it's the Dad pose and the proper name on it that really sends it over the top.

I didn't just buy a fishing pole I got Ron Popiels Pocket Fisherman!

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Honestly the packaging and having liar liar pants on fire Robert Irvine as a face is what made me start deep diving into conspiracies about dying from maltitol.

For the record the reason they don't affect me much is because I don't eat the full bar. Turns out eating in moderation because maltitol makes me want to die from farts was a good thing.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

LadyPictureShow posted:

Oh goddamn. I've had a serious yen for brownies lately, and we have to go to Costco soon.

...I'm gonna be getting fat as Hell.

There's like, nearly 8000 calories in there. Not to shame, you do you, just FYI.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hell yeah if I eat half the tray I can get 100% of my daily required amount of Riboflavin. That means it’s good for me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

calories are like vitamins where if you eat too many at once only a small amount actually get absorbed

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Whooping Crabs posted:

There's like, nearly 8000 calories in there. Not to shame, you do you, just FYI.

Thanks for ruining brownies for me.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fallom posted:

calories are like vitamins where if you eat too many at once only a small amount actually get absorbed

Well that certainly isn't how that works for either things. Only water soluble vitamins are safe to eat in massive quantities. Fat soluble vitamins will kill or injury you if you eat too many

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Bum the Sad posted:

Wife wanted an air fryer and I didn’t want another appliance in the counter so I gave her a choice of combo units. Replace the Instapot with a combo pressure cooker air fryer, or replace the toaster oven with a air fryer toaster oven combo like the above. (Conveniently both sold at church)

She likes her Instapot so I bought that Toaster Oven on Sunday and it’s fantastic. The air fryer feature works great. I was able to blast my tots and tendies to crispy deliciousness in 10 minutes from frozen. Instead of 18-20.
I replaced my cuisinart convection toaster oven with a this air fryer toaster oven and they’re entirely different.

The convection toaster just had like a small computer fan built into the side wall where the controls were. The air fryer toaster has a giant rear end turbine ontop situated directly above the coils.

Thanks for this Burn the Sad. Partially based on this, as well as some other additional research, I bought one of these from church dot com as a surprise birthday gift; we'll see how well it goes over. The giftee has been looking for an air fryer at church the last couple times we've been to church together, but they haven't had them in stock. I'm not sure if it's this one that's been sought after, but I figure it's worth a shot.

I confess to some curiousity about it myself, since I could use a toaster oven at my current place, but baby steps.

minidracula fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 30, 2021

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I have this. I eat this every day....slices of it...it's going to last me 1 month but God is is delicious. My mom thinks it's the best brownie she's had.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Gaius Marius posted:

Well that certainly isn't how that works for either things. Only water soluble vitamins are safe to eat in massive quantities. Fat soluble vitamins will kill or injury you if you eat too many

(theyre takin the piss)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

This thread does keto and buys air fryers. I ain't taking my chances that someone's not gonna see that and kill themselves on vitamin a supps

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm with that dude's dad, the brownie tray is too sweet, to adulterated, and just isn't really that good. It's very meme though, it does have that.

The Tuxedo Cake is the absolute king of Costco sweet treats. It has yet to be bested.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Has anyone else tried the dried jerky? I bought the kirkland brand, was decent but not great. Some korean BBQ brand pork jerky that was a bit better, and HTY Sweet Beef Jerky that has a shelf life of 3 days after opening and doesn't seem like they actually dried it out sufficiently and has no desiccant in the bag. They're all basically jerky which I guess isn't going to be amazing but it didn't do much for me.

I mean for the price its still an amazing value compared to buying beef jerky anywhere else so if you eat 1lb+ of jerky a week you might as well save money.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

pentyne posted:

Has anyone else tried the dried jerky? I bought the kirkland brand, was decent but not great. Some korean BBQ brand pork jerky that was a bit better, and HTY Sweet Beef Jerky that has a shelf life of 3 days after opening and doesn't seem like they actually dried it out sufficiently and has no desiccant in the bag. They're all basically jerky which I guess isn't going to be amazing but it didn't do much for me.

I mean for the price its still an amazing value compared to buying beef jerky anywhere else so if you eat 1lb+ of jerky a week you might as well save money.

The HTY sweet jerky is supposed to be like that, it's a moist "jerky" and I keep it in the fridge after opening it. It's way too sweet for me though.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
If you don't live somewhere that gets Oberto's, then don't bother.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Laterite posted:

Obertos is some of the worst jerky known to man, and I feel bad because you are probably an unfortunate PNWer who has never had good jerky.

That said, Costco jerky is regional, in the Pacific Northwest they have Obertos, in California they have Pacific Gold, etc. although I’ve noticed that recently they’re selling a lot more fancy brands like Dukes. They also have a few Kirkland brands, like their Steak Strips, which are good quality but a little bland.

One thing to look out for is sugar almost all the jerky is packed with it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Laterite posted:

Lol what? Oberto's is garbage tier jerky.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That korean pork stuff is good for a bit but I got sick of it pretty fast. Very sugary too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just order your jerky from big John’s It’s some of the best you’ll get.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
KRAVE jerky is good if you can get it 50% off or BOGO at CVS with the extracare card.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Laterite posted:

What? Oberto's is the cheap stuff at a gas station. Jack Links is better.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

just lmao if you don’t snap into a slim jim

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Fatty Jerky

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Toilet paper limits are increased*. Enjoy your newfound wiping power.

*In this region, at least

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This Ninja Air Fryer/Pressure Cooker that I got at Costco is supposed to do jerky. Haven't tried it yet.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Anaxite posted:

Toilet paper limits are increased*. Enjoy your newfound wiping power.

*In this region, at least

I dont think I've ever bought more than 1 pack of TP from costco at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
There were really two kinds of people I saw who tried to buy multiple packs of TP last year: People who were panicking, and families with kids that use TP like it's going out of style.