Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

lollontee posted:

thanks, i just need this for a single oldass site to work for a couple of friends is all

lollontree are your "couple friends" the province of dailan, china?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

If you need to keep flash working for something of critical importance that is local to you*, the answer is to install a separate instance of a different browser, for example an old version of chrome/chromium. Never use that browser for the general internet.

*ex: a hardware device with flash interface

If you need to keep flash working for something of critical importance on the internet, use a VM to run your out of date browser. Windows Sandbox is easily enabled on any win10 system. It is a giant hassle. Use that hassle as a reason to stop using whatever website still needs flash in 2021.

https://hk.appledaily.com/news/20210117/FLXATT4LKVBGVEBRLAECJPTCHM/

quote:

The railroad system in Dalian, northern China, collapsed citywide on Tuesday for up to 20 hours after the Adobe Flash programing software stopped running.

Adobe had announced as early as 2017 that it would cease support for the multimedia software on Dec. 30 last year. The American software company eventually ended the operation of all Flash content on Tuesday.

Tuesday’s chaos arose after China Railway Shenyang failed to deactivate Flash in time, leading to a complete shutdown of its railroads in Dalian, Liaoning province. Staffers were reportedly unable to view train operation diagrams, formulate train sequencing schedules and arrange shunting plans.

Authorities fixed the issue by installing a pirated version of Flash at 4:30 a.m. the following day.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Hey all. I'm having a bizarre problem and Google's no help.

When I open a Google doc I cannot edit it. I can interact with every object and field in the page, I can even modify fields that allow keyboard input (like, I can search or I can edit the font size by typing in a number, etc.) but I cannot add text in any way to the main document.

I've also seen some weird behavior in other Google sites, like not being able to call out on Hangouts, or some buttons not working.

This happens only when using my main Firefox profile. Everything works correctly in other profiles and browsers.

Fixes I've tried: disabling extensions, safe mode, clearing cookies and cache. Any other suggestions?

Here's a short gif of what I mean. The text that's already there was added from another browser signed in to the same account.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Got any userscripts that hit all websites? I was locked out of my gmail on desktop for years because one had a completely innocent and harmless JS error in it and it caused gmail and google docs poo poo to completely freak the gently caress out.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, see if there are any errors in the console.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Geemer posted:

Got any userscripts that hit all websites? I was locked out of my gmail on desktop for years because one had a completely innocent and harmless JS error in it and it caused gmail and google docs poo poo to completely freak the gently caress out.
How can any userscript apply to every single website on the world wide web?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Disable all extensions should take care of a userscript problem, unless you guys are running userscripts without *monkey somehow.

Since it's an input related block I'd look for anything related to accessibility that's been set to non-default, and lastly look through everything set in about :config for any possibilities. If that's a blank you maybe should just say gently caress it and refresh the profile / make a new one.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

How can any userscript apply to every single website on the world wide web?

@include http*
?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

@include http*
?
Sure, that's how wildcards work. What I meant was, what could any userscript do, that would be applicable to every website?
Unless you're doing something silly like modifying the HTML standard on DOM objects, I simply don't see it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sure, that's how wildcards work. What I meant was, what could any userscript do, that would be applicable to every website?
Unless you're doing something silly like modifying the HTML standard on DOM objects, I simply don't see it.

I use one called youtube link title that converts all youtube embeds into links. Applicable to every website that isn't youtube.

VVV edit: yeah, there are some types of embeds that still show up, I think the type that it handles is just the most standard or "classic mode" one. But that's what SA and many other forums / user-posted social media use.

But the *other* think that youtube link title does is take standard text links to youtube and convert them into the video title (plus a hover thumbnail).

It's a really good script!

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 22, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

I use one called youtube link title that converts all youtube embeds into links. Applicable to every website that isn't youtube.
Aren't there an insane amount of ways to embed youtube on a webpage, though? Surely it'd have to catch those.
I mean, there's a userscript I use called SA Video Helper, which works on SA, but I wouldn't expect it to work everywhere else.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I just noticed I've been having an issue for a while now. Embedded youtube videos don't play for me. When they're in discord, these forums, news sites, etc, I press play and they either sit there loading forever or give me an error. If I click them and open them in youtube, they play fine.

I've started firefox in safe mode, but no luck fixing the problem. Anyone know how to solve this?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

What happens if you run Firefox with a new profile? That will narrow down if it's some weird setting or an actual network issue.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-remove-switch-firefox-profiles

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Knormal posted:

What happens if you run Firefox with a new profile? That will narrow down if it's some weird setting or an actual network issue.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-remove-switch-firefox-profiles

Okay, that worked.

Edit: and now having switched back to the old profile, videos are playing correctly. I have no idea why, but I'll take it!

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 23, 2021

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Hey all. I'm having a bizarre problem and Google's no help.

When I open a Google doc I cannot edit it. I can interact with every object and field in the page, I can even modify fields that allow keyboard input (like, I can search or I can edit the font size by typing in a number, etc.) but I cannot add text in any way to the main document.

I've also seen some weird behavior in other Google sites, like not being able to call out on Hangouts, or some buttons not working.

This happens only when using my main Firefox profile. Everything works correctly in other profiles and browsers.

Fixes I've tried: disabling extensions, safe mode, clearing cookies and cache. Any other suggestions?

Here's a short gif of what I mean. The text that's already there was added from another browser signed in to the same account.

Ended up fixing this by using Firefox's Refresh Profile option which essentially deletes your profile, makes a new one, and reimports your history and cookies. I have no idea what caused the original problem since I never touched Firefox's preferences or why it was only affecting Google sites, but :shrug:. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Is there an about:config setting for capping the number of tabs loading in background simultaneously?

Current behaviour:
1. open a page with many links
2. middle click a bunch of links
3. FF tries to load everything at once and slows everything to a crawl

Intended behaviour:
3. FF starts loading the first N tabs immediately and concurrently but only loads the rest of background tabs sequentially, either when one of the N tabs is fully loaded or when the user switches to a unloaded tab intentionally.

This is sort of what Firefox does after crashing with mutiple tabs open, upon restarting it remembers the URLs for each of the tabs but loads them one at a time, only after switching to them. So the functionality is already coded in, I just want to configure it to my liking.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Storm One posted:

Is there an about :config setting for capping the number of tabs loading in background simultaneously?

Current behaviour:

Intended behaviour:
3. FF starts loading the first N tabs immediately and concurrently but only loads the rest of background tabs sequentially, either when one of the N tabs is fully loaded or when the user switches to a unloaded tab intentionally.

This is sort of what Firefox does after crashing with mutiple tabs open, upon restarting it remembers the URLs for each of the tabs but loads them one at a time, only after switching to them. So the functionality is already coded in, I just want to configure it to my liking.

Staggered loading used to be a feature of Tab Mix Plus (:rip:) for loading a whole bunch of bookmarks.

But instead of improving the user experience for loading a lot of tabs at the same time, Mozilla decided to just make it more annoying to bookmark a lot of tabs at the same time.

I took a quick look for your use case. Maybe this one kinda does what you want? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/loadtabonselect/

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
I tried it and it does mimic the behaviour after a crash, where each tab is only loaded when selected. It works as described but that's not enough.

Only a set number of tabs should be auto-loaded in background concurrently and the remaining put on a queue, the intent being 1) not having to wait after closing one tab and switching to the next unread one, while 2) not tanking performance by pointlessly loading all tabs at once when it'll take me a while to read each of them one by one.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Is your middle-click set to load tabs in the background? (ie "When you open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately" is unchecked?)

Background tab loading is supposed to be mildly lazy / lower priority than your current tab.

Storm One posted:

Only a set number of tabs should be auto-loaded in background concurrently and the remaining put on a queue, the intent being 1) not having to wait after closing one tab and switching to the next unread one, while 2) not tanking performance by pointlessly loading all tabs at once when it'll take me a while to read each of them one by one.

Try setting network.http.max-connections to a lower number in about :config

It's not exactly what you want, but that will cut down the number of tabs that firefox is attempting to load at once by capping the number of connections available.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Klyith posted:

Is your middle-click set to load tabs in the background? (ie "When you open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately" is unchecked?)

Try setting network.http.max-connections to a lower number in about :config
It's unchecked, and I think the issue is JS-heavy sites killing performance with my old CPU, not a bandwidth or network latency problem. Everything is fine with mostly text-and-pictures-only sites. EDIT: i'll try it anyways

Storm One fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 30, 2021

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
qine

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Storm One posted:

I think the issue is JS-heavy sites killing performance with my old CPU

Deffo set up ublock with blocking of 3rd party scripts. Here's a simple guide for that setup.

It's a bit of a hassle for a month or two while you figure out which js your commonly visited sites actually need to function. But it makes browsing, especially on an older / weaker CPU, approximately infinity times better.

quote:

not a bandwidth or network latency problem. Everything is fine with mostly text-and-pictures-only sites. EDIT: i'll try it anyways

setting max connections lower will also reduce bandwidth used, but in this case that's a secondary effect and the main thing we're looking for is to make new tabs sit idle because new tabs #1-6 have used all the connections. that will require a fairly low number of max connections (it was 256 for a long time, so I'd start by lowering it to that and then maybe go even further down until you get behavior you like.)

it's kinda a blunt instrument and wouldn't be my first choice if there were still extensions that could get into the guts of tab loading.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Storm One posted:

Is there an about :config setting for capping the number of tabs loading in background simultaneously?

Current behaviour:

Intended behaviour:

Have you toggled browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand?
If to, set it to true and make sure you disable browser.tabs.loadInBackground
You might also wanna mess with browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground and browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Klyith posted:

Deffo set up ublock with blocking of 3rd party scripts.
Already using ublock as a global JS toggle and umatrix for finetuning 3rd party stuff. The issue is sites not working without JS at all, YT/Twitter embeds, etc

quote:

make new tabs sit idle because new tabs #1-6 have used all the connections. that will require a fairly low number of max connections
If it does work like that great, but I suspect it will throttle indiscriminately, like once the ceiling is reached, instead of tabs 1-6 carrying on as normal while 7+ halt, *all* tabs will temporarliy halt loading, and when I try to read tab 2, the text will still be jumping around all over the place because images are still loading in.

Still, I'm trying it regardless, dropped max-connections by a whole order of magnitude down to 90 to see if it makes any noticeable difference, good or otherwise.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Have you toggled browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand?
If to, set it to true and make sure you disable browser.tabs.loadInBackground
You might also wanna mess with browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground and browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground.

browser.tabs.loadInBackground needs to be true else middle-clicks will switch to the opened tab right away. Couldn't figure out what the other 2 settings did.

Also, gently caress you Mozilla for messing with the about :config page, I bet the option for sorting by user-modified prefs was really harming users or tanking performance or whatever :argh:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Storm One posted:

Also, gently caress you Mozilla for messing with the about :config page, I bet the option for sorting by user-modified prefs was really harming users or tanking performance or whatever :argh:

drat dude, got any more magic wishes left? I've always wanted a pony.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Hah, I knew whining about it on the internet would fix it :smugdog:

Anyway, after about a week of running with max-connections = 9, I couldn't notice any difference with the loading-several-tabs-at-once slowdown, so I bumped them back to the default 900.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
How does one check Extended Validation certificates on Firefox mobile on Android?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 15, 2021

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How can I keep Firefox from hiding tabs on the right when the tab bar is "full" and I'm opening new tabs? I want it to scroll the other way, i.e. hide the leftmost tabs rather than the rightmost tabs.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PirateBob posted:

How can I keep Firefox from hiding tabs on the right when the tab bar is "full" and I'm opening new tabs? I want it to scroll the other way, i.e. hide the leftmost tabs rather than the rightmost tabs.

if browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground is set to true, the tab bar will not move at all when you open a new tab (and the tab also won't load content until you select it)

if it is set to false, the tab bar will autoscroll to show a new tab you opened

if you have extensions that change tabs, they might be changing where the autoscroll goes

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Klyith posted:

if browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground is set to true, the tab bar will not move at all when you open a new tab (and the tab also won't load content until you select it)

The second part of the quote isn't quite right, I have browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground set to true and all tabs load all the drat time.

However, googling what that pref is used for lead me to this extension: Load Background Tabs Lazily

So thanks for indirectly helping me solve my remaining magic wish!

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Klyith posted:

if it is set to false, the tab bar will autoscroll to show a new tab you opened

if you have extensions that change tabs, they might be changing where the autoscroll goes

That's not what I mean.

I have new tabs/links opening new tabs set to be opened to the right of the current one.

The problem: If the bar is "full" and I am viewing a tab that isn't all the way to the right, and open a new tab, the rightmost tab(s) (beyond the new one) will be shoved out of view. I want leftmost tabs to be shoved out of view instead.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I'm just going to drop this here:

quote:

The attack works against Chrome, Safari, Edge, and until recently Brave, which developed an effective countermeasure after receiving a private report from the researchers. Firefox would also be susceptible to the technique, but a bug prevents the attack from working at the moment.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
you can't not post the firefox bugzilla entry
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1618257#c8
this comment in particular

lmfao

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Truga posted:

you can't not post the firefox bugzilla entry
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1618257#c8
this comment in particular

lmfao

I'm actually having trouble making sense of the post and its context. Is he saying that introducing a bug to block an exploit is "underhanded"??

Edit: oh my god, was the bug report originally filed by the guy who invented the tracking trick???

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 19, 2021

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Is he saying that introducing a bug to block an exploit is "underhanded"??

The opposite. It's underhanded to try to get a bug fixed to enable an exploit.

Edit:

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Edit: oh my god, was the bug report originally filed by the guy who invented the tracking trick?

Yep!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I''m having brain trouble today so I thought I was just reading things wrong, but it was because I was psychologically unprepared for that level of hamfisted duplicity. :psyduck:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
edit: since this was a mega efb, I'm gonna elaborate on this one bit of my original post:

quote:

(not that it super matters, tracking isn't really a "security" risk, just a privacy one. hence why the other browsers, who got told about it 6 months ago, haven't fixed it.)

IMO this type of thing is a lost cause for privacy. If you go to a website, and that website is interested in connecting you to other websites that you visit, they will probably succeed. If I go to pornhub, pornhub knows "I" (or someone at my IP) has visited their site. Yeah, you could use a VPN to disguise that. What do you know, the biggest emphasis on "they are watching which websites you visit :tinfoil:" as a basic element of privacy is being pushed by VPN companies. Which now include Mozilla. FF now advertises their VPN when you open incognito.

If I visit the urologist's office or my friend's house, the urologist or my friend know that I've been there. I might prefer that my friends don't know about which medical doctors I need to see. That's a realistic goal. If I don't want pornhub to know about my porn viewing, don't go to pornhub.

The thing that's problematic about tracking, is tracking across a variety of sites. And that's primarily about google & facebook. Those are the people who get permission by website owners to run 3rd party scripts on every website, essentially allowing them to follow you across the web. And the scary part of them isn't that they can track which websites you look at in incognito mode. It's that they're collecting data every moment of your life.

tldr I feel like people are being sold paranoia when they should be being sold the idea of Having Rights

Klyith fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 19, 2021

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Klyith posted:

edit: since this was a mega efb, I'm gonna elaborate on this one bit of my original post:

IMO this type of thing is a lost cause for privacy. If you go to a website, and that website is interested in connecting you to other websites that you visit, they will probably succeed. If I go to pornhub, pornhub knows "I" (or someone at my IP) has visited their site. Yeah, you could use a VPN to disguise that. What do you know, the biggest emphasis on "they are watching which websites you visit :tinfoil:" as a basic element of privacy is being pushed by VPN companies. Which now include Mozilla. FF now advertises their VPN when you open incognito.

If I visit the urologist's office or my friend's house, the urologist or my friend know that I've been there. I might prefer that my friends don't know about which medical doctors I need to see. That's a realistic goal. If I don't want pornhub to know about my porn viewing, don't go to pornhub.

The thing that's problematic about tracking, is tracking across a variety of sites. And that's primarily about google & facebook. Those are the people who get permission by website owners to run 3rd party scripts on every website, essentially allowing them to follow you across the web. And the scary part of them isn't that they can track which websites you look at in incognito mode. It's that they're collecting data every moment of your life.

tldr I feel like people are being sold paranoia when they should be being sold the idea of Having Rights
I'd love legal protections, but in the mean time I'm going to use technical measures.

And as far as technical measures go, you can defeat those third party scripts if you have the right browser settings and security. But to prevent server-side tracking requires a VPN too. (Or certain configurations of carrier-grade NAT). So while VPN advertisements shouldn't imply they are sufficient to prevent tracking, they're a pretty necessary part of preventing tracking.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Klyith posted:

How does a site track what I've done in Private Browsing? I know they can do that within the session but are they able to do that once the private session closes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How does a site track what I've done in Private Browsing? I know they can do that within the session but are they able to do that once the private session closes?

IP.

Fingerprinting of your computer.

Some other dodgy workaround they’ve found for setting a cookie equivalent elsewhere in your system (used to be flash cookies).