Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Vinegar Syndrome has an advertisement for a Valentine's Day sale, with "a surprise new Peekarama release" and the UHD logo, here's hoping I'll get to triple dip on Hot and Saucy Pizza Girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1355172203101384707

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Arrow really really really wants me to upgrade from my Donnie Darko DVD. Not gonna happen. Same with Battle Royale.

The three basic releases intrigue me though.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
With Neon Genesis Evagelion release coming up, I hope they use the correct opening.

https://youtu.be/dVHdUakiEo4

Because anything less is just blasphemy.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ayooooo Battle Royale UHD! I'm in.

I'm in for a Donnie Darko upgrade as well. Maybe even the special edition. Arrows Crash and Tremors sets are great.

dorium fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 29, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Features on Donnie Darko are the same as the blu ray?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Features on Donnie Darko are the same as the blu ray?

not sure about the blu-ray features, but this is the content

https://arrowfilms.com/product-detail/donnie-darko-limited-edition-uhd/FCD2113

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I am apt to buy that Darko set after confirmation of video quality. It has a soft spot in my heart from being 15 when it did its thing a few years after release.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

taking the bus to see Donnie Darko in the "bad" theater across two town lines in a nearly empty theater is one of those weird post 9/11 moments of my childhood i remember kinda fondly. weird times to be a 13 year old and the movie was super cathartic in that time.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I haven't seen Donnie Darko in 20 years, but I get the feeling it hasn't aged well.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Commitment to sparklemotion is doubtful

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Origami Dali posted:

I haven't seen Donnie Darko in 20 years, but I get the feeling it hasn't aged well.

I watched it about a month or two ago and it’s still pretty good. CG effects are not that great, but it’s still absolutely unnerving. Don’t know if I want to upgrade though. I got the Arrow blu and it looks awesome.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure it would really benefit that much from the UHD treatment, it's not exactly an eye-popping movie. It has some slick cinematography I guess but the settings are pretty mundane and it's mostly just a character piece with the whole time travel thing thrown in to spice things up.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

It’s a pretty dark and shadowy movie, might benefit from the HDR. I guess the biggest draw is another chance to get the directors cut.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

another chance to get the directors cut.

but why

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I have the original Arrow Battle Royale blu set which I imported from the UK like a decade ago. Logical thing is to of course do it again for UHD.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

They're gonna make a US-oriented release for BR and DD, right? I know I could buy the UHDs and not have to worry about region-locking, but I'm also pretty lazy.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Boywhiz88 posted:

They're gonna make a US-oriented release for BR and DD, right? I know I could buy the UHDs and not have to worry about region-locking, but I'm also pretty lazy.

Battle Royale is the only UK exclusive.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have to wonder if that 100-page book includes the thousands of words of content from the website that they put up to explain the movie. The movie makes complete sense on its own but Richard Kelly has a reading of his own movie that requires extensive supplementation, which I think is also why he made the director's cut.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

dorium posted:

not sure about the blu-ray features, but this is the content

https://arrowfilms.com/product-detail/donnie-darko-limited-edition-uhd/FCD2113

I've never bought an Ultra 4k Blu Ray. I play my blu-rays on my standard PS4. I'm reading inconsistent information on whether I'll be able to play it. Does anybody have any advice?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

I've never bought an Ultra 4k Blu Ray. I play my blu-rays on my standard PS4. I'm reading inconsistent information on whether I'll be able to play it. Does anybody have any advice?

No PS4 is capable of UHD playback. You’d need a stand-alone player, an appropriate Xbox One, or either of the latest gen consoles.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Boywhiz88 posted:

No PS4 is capable of UHD playback. You’d need a stand-alone player, an appropriate Xbox One, or either of the latest gen consoles.

Thanks for the quick response! I'm sure I'll get a PS5 eventually, but not until there are some exclusive games worth buying it for. Any suggestions for a stand alone player?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Nihonniboku posted:

Thanks for the quick response! I'm sure I'll get a PS5 eventually, but not until there are some exclusive games worth buying it for. Any suggestions for a stand alone player?

Sony UBP-X700 from what I've heard. Has Dolby Vision support with a firmware update. This was the cheapest I saw:

https://www.rentproductsonline.com/...-blu-ray-player

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

Island Nation posted:

Sony UBP-X700 from what I've heard. Has Dolby Vision support with a firmware update. This was the cheapest I saw:

https://www.rentproductsonline.com/...-blu-ray-player

I have two of these and I like them. One of them has frozen while playing a couple of specific UHD discs, but that hasn't happened in a long time. Also I really like the remote that these and other Sony Blu-ray players come with.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I should be getting my Sony X700 today. It was only $178 on Amazon. I decided to put up with the manual DV switching, and crossing my fingers that it doesn't freeze constantly. If I'm unhappy with it I may upgrade to the Panasonic 820 at some point.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I really like my PS5 for playback but since they're still near impossible to get at cost, I know that's basically useless as a recommendation. The PS5 *is* loving gigantic though. Are standalone UHD capable players normal size?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just a reminder ps5 UHD doesn't have dolby vision. I'm going to end up getting a digital only console and a separate player.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Shiroc posted:

I really like my PS5 for playback but since they're still near impossible to get at cost, I know that's basically useless as a recommendation. The PS5 *is* loving gigantic though. Are standalone UHD capable players normal size?

Not any different in size than a normal Blu-Ray player.

I have the Sony UBP-X700 and it’s fairly solid. I don’t think I’ve run into any freezes although I only use it for discs, nothing else like streaming. Having to manually toggle Dolby Vision on and off is super stupid though and the user interface makes it feels a bit chintzy somehow.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I bought a Panasonic UB820 recently (after it turned out playing a 4k disc on xbox series x means trying to watch a movie while someone runs a vacuum cleaner under your tv - drat thing is silent while playing games, but throw a media disc in and it whooshes like mad), and I've been fairly happy with it.

Do wish it booted up a little faster, and having a tray-loader with an asthmatic little motor wheezing it out makes it feel very non-premium for how much it costs, but on the other hand you put a disc in and the disc plays and what else do you need

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have an LG UHD player, and no complaints here :shrug:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

This might be more a question for the AVS forums, but I thought I'd ask it here because I love you guys.

When I set my player to output 24fps, and I set my TV to 48hz, the effect is similar in my eye to frame interpolation (aka the dreaded Soap Opera Effect). Not nearly as dramatic, but there's a smoothness about it that feels wrong to me. But if I'm understanding correctly, a 24fps source presented at 48hz should be reproducing the look of film correctly. Does it look off to me because I'm so used to the judder caused by the 60hz output? Do I need to retrain my brain to get used to this smoothness?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Spatulater bro! posted:

This might be more a question for the AVS forums, but I thought I'd ask it here because I love you guys.

When I set my player to output 24fps, and I set my TV to 48hz, the effect is similar in my eye to frame interpolation (aka the dreaded Soap Opera Effect). Not nearly as dramatic, but there's a smoothness about it that feels wrong to me. But if I'm understanding correctly, a 24fps source presented at 48hz should be reproducing the look of film correctly. Does it look off to me because I'm so used to the judder caused by the 60hz output? Do I need to retrain my brain to get used to this smoothness?

My TV's 24p mode kicks in when I watch blurays or 24fps content in Plex on my ShieldTV (but not any of the paid streaming services, which is hilarious) and yes, particularly with horizontal pans I'm just so used to the 60hz judder that it almost looks interpolated. Turns out 24p with evenly-spaced frames is in fact quite smooth.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Spatulater bro! posted:

I would double and triple check your player/receiver/tv settings to make sure there isn’t some interpolation going on; AV equipment always seems to have the worst goddamn interfaces.

I feel you though, trying diagnose (potential) AV issues manually can be maddening since stuff can be so subtle your senses get messed up and then you start getting over sensitive and questioning everything :psyduck:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Iron Crowned posted:

I have an LG UHD player, and no complaints here :shrug:

Which one by the by? I'm debating between the Sony and LG player (I have an LG TV).

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://raven-banner.myshopify.com/collections/blu-ray-dvds/products/pg-psycho-goreman-limited-hunky-boy-edition

There's an exclusive Psycho Goreman blue ray apparently on this website

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Hmmm. its good, but not that good.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Is the movie any good? It seems like one of those things that works better as a joke trailer than a feature length film.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I loved it. Not perfect but really good imho. Full of heart

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

CPL593H posted:

Is the movie any good? It seems like one of those things that works better as a joke trailer than a feature length film.

The horror thread loves it but I thought it was ~fine~. It’s definitely entertaining, you won’t come out of it thinking you wasted your time, but I don’t see myself ever watching it again. It looks and feels like an adult power rangers so if that’s your thing you’ll dig it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

It’s $19 good, but not $39 good, if that helps.