Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I started playing it and I can't believe how much of a relief it is to not have a bunch of waifus and other perverse poo poo assaulting my mind. Is there any other JRPGs that are wholesome like that, and also that don't have the same combat style since I want something more chill.

Thanks
Lord Wormskull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Isn't Dark Cloud 2 kinda like this actually. Is it on the PSN Classics or whatever.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ni no kuni 2 i think, havent played that one but i can't imagine they'd make the sequel less chill. other than that, uh. dragon quest xi has some horny stuff but its not bad and mostly played for jokes outside of a couple costumes. i'll keep thinking and see what i come up with

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Disclaimer. I’m not a SJW but sometimes you want to take a break from being titillated by poo poo designed to titillate 15 year olds and hosed up boomers. You know what I mean.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ni no Kuni 2 is cool, Studio Ghibli didn’t work on it directly like they did the first one but the devs managed a pretty good imitation of them anyway, all the characters are super charming and likable, even just random NPCs from one-off side quests and stuff. They also changed up the gameplay completely, they got rid of the Pokemon stuff and it’s a real-time action rpg now with the light attack/heavy attack/dodge scheme that you’d expect from a game like that and you can switch between which party member you control on the fly. I really loved it

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Isn't Dark Cloud 2 kinda like this actually. Is it on the PSN Classics or whatever.

That's exactly what I was gonna suggest for you. DC2 is a masterpiece. DC1 is good too but it's a 2001 PS2 game so there's a LOT of rough edges in there. Like you have to keep finding sources of water in the dungeons or your Thirst Meter will run out and you will die. Not a joke, that's a real game mechanic.

Rogue Galaxy was made by the same people and was originally gonna be Dark Cloud 3 but it sort of lacks when compared to DC2. It's still a fine game to play, but the combat is a bit clunky.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

rogue galaxy was one of my favorite ps2 rpgs

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wormskull posted:

Disclaimer. I’m not a SJW but sometimes you want to take a break from being titillated by poo poo designed to titillate 15 year olds and hosed up boomers. You know what I mean.

got you, bro. i hear someone on this forum is making a reverse recruitment hack that should cater to your tastes.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I feel like all Final Fantasy games fit this as well, tbqh.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

i feel you, sometimes it sucks gettng pandered to. after some thought i vote dq11, there's pretty much no horny stuff until you get jade and most of that is costumes you dont have to put on or jokes about rab reading nudie mags. dark cloud 2 is also pretty fuckin cool and not very horny

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

apart from some costumes, agreed. and since this is the Level-5 thread, I think Dragon Quest VIII is the best in the series and also fits despite some of Jessica's costumes, too

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

yeah this too.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Gonna go ahead and add Dragon Quest games to that as well. Aside from a few Puff-Puff jokes, which are completely benign and AIDS free themselves, those games are wholesome as gently caress. DQ4 & 5 in particular.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

That's exactly what I was gonna suggest for you. DC2 is a masterpiece. DC1 is good too but it's a 2001 PS2 game so there's a LOT of rough edges in there. Like you have to keep finding sources of water in the dungeons or your Thirst Meter will run out and you will die. Not a joke, that's a real game mechanic.

Rogue Galaxy was made by the same people and was originally gonna be Dark Cloud 3 but it sort of lacks when compared to DC2. It's still a fine game to play, but the combat is a bit clunky.

Lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

you can usually avoid the puff puff jokes in the earlier games anyway and the games telegraph them a mile away.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
lmao i forgot you could get thirsty in dc2.

dark cloud 2 has one of my favorite game aesthetics of all time but I never once finished it because the gatekeeping mechanic of equipment upgrades forces so much replay. The time travel mechanic is so sweet tho, and the music is extremely relaxing.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I feel like everyone here has already played them but all but Mario RPG/Paper Mario series.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Grandia 1 fits this 100%

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

dragon quest monsters 1 and 2 also do a good job here but 1 can be a little rough around the edges if you play the original game boy version

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wormskull posted:

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Dark Cloud 2 is a sick game and a lot more playable than the original but borderline unplayable without a guide. Gear upgrades are so important and it’s all on this branching tree evolution system where you’ll end up with horrible garbage weapons if you don’t know what you’re doing. This game also destroyed my brothers brain after he sunk like 80 hours of grinding into it and the ps2 hdd got corrupted by a glitched out viewtiful Joe 2 demo

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Dark Cloud 2 is a sick game and a lot more playable than the original but borderline unplayable without a guide. Gear upgrades are so important and it’s all on this branching tree evolution system where you’ll end up with horrible garbage weapons if you don’t know what you’re doing. This game also destroyed my brothers brain after he sunk like 80 hours of grinding into it and the ps2 hdd got corrupted by a glitched out viewtiful Joe 2 demo

looking up the gamefaqs guide to weapon upgrades more than 50% through the game counts as a traumatic event.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Dark Cloud 1 is nice because I just wanna rebuild some towns, man.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
I liked Ni No Kuni 2 better than 1. The city biulding was comfy

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Wormskull posted:

I started playing it and I can't believe how much of a relief it is to not have a bunch of waifus and other perverse poo poo assaulting my mind. Is there any other JRPGs that are wholesome like that, and also that don't have the same combat style since I want something more chill.

Thanks
Lord Wormskull

all of the quintet games are really wholesome especially soulblader and you can build cities in them

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Yea I’m really not into the combat in NnK1... When I play JRPGs I just want to select menus and watch poo poo transpire. Not kite a lumbering boss in a circle collecting blue orbs to shoot fire at him until he does a AoE effect.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I wish 2 was on swinch.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

all of the quintet games are really wholesome especially soulblader and you can build cities in them

those games own

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

FF12 is the right amount of chill and activity in a JRPG if you have to move around in a battle, for this gamer. Methinks 2012 shall be the year of the JRPG for me since I haven’t gotten really into one since high school.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

The Tales series is not too horny. Tales of Vesperia was probably my favorite

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

leave final fantasy 12 alone, it just wants to play itself in peace

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

in lufia 2 people do gently caress but theyre married

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

talking about DC1 makes me want to play it again lol. i haven't touched it since beating it almost 20 years ago

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

in lufia 2 people do gently caress but theyre married

Do you have to put a stacked MILF Summon and a demure jailbait pet in your party that keep trying to give you and the player character a boner.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It’s an old story but I summoned Shiva one too many times in Final Fantasy 7 for the PC and my mom called me a sick pervert in so many words. And it scarred me for life.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Wormskull posted:

Do you have to put a stacked MILF Summon and a demure jailbait pet in your party that keep trying to give you and the player character a boner.

no you have to marry your wife and father a child, it's a wholesome game

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I told this story before but when I picked up my FF7 preorder from Funcoland the clerk said "yo that game's awesome there's a part where a girl almost gets raped!” It was a long car ride home with my mom.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

P-Mack posted:

I told this story before but when I picked up my FF7 preorder from Funcoland the clerk said "yo that game's awesome there's a part where a girl almost gets raped!” It was a long car ride home with my mom.

Lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Actually the girl was a guy who was dressed up in girls clothes to infi—*car tires screeching into a sharp u turn*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I was watching the Mortal Kombat movie at a friend's house when his older brother walked in on the Kano vs Sonya fight he said "yeah, rape her!" in a Beavis voice. 90s gamers stay chad.