Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Zeluth posted:

My desk suggests I have something going on. Entering your office requesting a job is my thing.

Who is beholden to who?

Poor communication, you're fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
A few months ago we spent a half day doing mandatory Office 365 training. In case you're wondering you open a Word file exactly the same way you did in Office 2016.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
We have our own compute cloud service with good rates for internal uses, but, instead, we're now paying Microsoft :homebrew: to use theirs so the project owner has to send out reminders when we're using too many hours.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Paying me to post on SA is also pretty dumb, but they don't know they're doing it.

Also, if anyone guessed that the social media person is related to the HR manager, nice work you aced it.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I work at a substance abuse rehab. I'm one of the daytime coordinators for the men's section, which involves corraling all 15 or so patients at their shared home when I start my shift at 7am, distributing meds, and driving them in the giant van (which, to be fair, is a fairly nice van) to the main rehab facility where they spend most of their days in groups or meetings (taught by therapists or other staff, including myself).

Then, after their day's courses and groups are done, transporting my 15 male patients out to a variety of locations, ranging from the gas station to buy cigarettes/etc (distributing the individual wallets to everyone from our main mobile storage is a complicated process as-is, and dealing wallets out of a big van to a bunch of alcoholics and addicts while parked in a 7-11 parking lot isn't a great look), to the gym, vape store, etc. After that, getting everyone together to go to an AA/NA meeting, supervising all of this to put out fires whenever, ranging from individual needs per person (just needing to talk, needing to take meds that they forgot to take that afternoon, talking down someone so that they don't just straight bolt from the facility that moment, etc) to getting between verbal or physical altercations, and on and on. It's like herding 15 cats, except all of the cats have severe drug or alcohol problems.

Each shift is 12 hours but is never actually that short. I've worked many difficult jobs before, ones with profound amounts of stress like making live changes to software that millions of users were publically logged in and active on at that same moment. I've been pressed under the pressure of writing deadlines looming over me, and I've worked at director-level positions for some fairly prominent companies. I've worked "difficult" jobs. This is different. None of them can touch the degree of daily emotional labor that this one requires. And I promise that I'm not saying all of this as some sort of bullshit "oh I'm a savior to these lost souls and the work I do is so great and I change lives every day, thank u everyone" blar blar blar. I'm just trying to honestly frame all of this from my experience and how it's relative to this particular thread.

As addiction statistically touches almost all of you in some capacity, ranging from a friend or family member struggling with it to perhaps you yourself directly, I'm sure you can imagine that this industry is full of more funerals per year than I'd like. The success ratio isn't good and the survival odds aren't great. But I have to believe that the work I do at the ground level, being directly involved with these guys each day, matters and makes at least some difference, even if it's just helping one single person stay sober that day.

I have to, because the way that the ownership treats personal rehabilitation and programs of recovery as a product is awful. The "dumb poo poo" this job does is being so disconnected from the actual work we do and making addiction an abstraction for money. They continue to allow more and more patients to admit to this rehab every day despite us not having a facility large enough to hold all of them, not hiring more therapists, only having ONE nurse for all of the patients, and certainly not adding more coordinators like myself to help cover the needs of the patients. When at the main facility, between the co-ed groups, it's a total of two people - me and a female equivilant for the women's side - responsible for 40+ total patients at any moment. I'll get chewed out by our clinical director if she so happens to see one patient being outside a classroom for 5 seconds because they had to, say, go to the bathroom quickly, or if they had to step out for a second because the subject matter was getting a bit intense, or if they're still actively detoxing from the drugs that got them in there in the first place.

They won't hire more staff at my level, but they'll keep admitting more and more patients. The numbers just aren't feasible. And I promise that my cost to the company is peanuts. I could make more money managing a Sonic fast food restaurant if I were to cap my week at 40 hours.

Sorry about all of the words on this; I didn't mean for the post to be this long! I've thought about making a thread about my experiences at this job because, as I'm sure ya'll can imagine, there are stories every single day. However, I don't particularly feel like loving up a dance with HIPPA compliance in some way so I've left it alone.

Edit: I want to add that I really don't want to make it sound like the whole place is a sham. It isn't. And possibly minus the top brass, every single staff member, from the therapists to the case manager to myself, care deeply about the work we do. We wouldn't work for the wages we get if we didn't. Our hearts are in it 100% and I work with some really special people. It's just red tape and upper management bullshit and emotional exhaustion that leads to things like me parked in the work van by myself on my bi-weekly Zoom session with my own therapist, crying while parked in a McDonald's parking lot :gbsmith:

Floodixor fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 30, 2021

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
You people need to seize the facility and claim it and its resources as your own. You poor good soul.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

My boss is not a very good manager, so he was sent to a management training class. At this class, he learned about the concept of "scrum". We are not in software development, but he decided that we could do "scrum" too. So he asked us to do daily e-mails about what we're doing/planning to do.

Of course, he quickly realized that this didn't make much sense in a team where most of us do the exact same tasks every day. So he cut it down to Mon/Wed/Fri. And then he removed Wednesday because that used to be our weekly team meeting.

At some point, the top management ordered everyone to use Yammer more. So he moved the "scrum e-mails" to Yammer. This is when I stopped participating because Yammer is loving terrible and I'd usually see the thread like 3 hours later.

When we started using Teams, the boss decided to move the "scrum" there. So now there's a Teams channel called "Scrum e-mails". About half the time, the boss posts his own message in one of the other channels instead.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I can not clock out till 6:26 pm or it is considered leaving early, no exceptions. I am typically done with everything at 5:00pm. I spend the last 30 minutes of my day sitting in my car listening to podcasts.

I’ve worked the same job for 10 years.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
My previous job that I recently got laid off from was a terrible company that loved to gossip and use me as a scapegoat. Two weeks before I got laid off I had Covid and went to the hospital due to severe chest pains and vomiting. Once I was recovered and I called asking if I can return to work I got a letter in the mail the next day on my separation papers.

E- The rest is meh

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 30, 2021

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

DickParasite posted:

A few months ago we spent a half day doing mandatory Office 365 training. In case you're wondering you open a Word file exactly the same way you did in Office 2016.

We had the same thing. But there are old people at my company that are very scared of the move, and everything in general. These are the same people who work everything out of their C drive and then when the computer dies or they retire and IT takes the PC all of the work is lost.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

r u ready to WALK posted:

if my job told me to start turning on my camera during conference calls i think i'd quit

We have a company policy to disable all cameras. It's so that no-one inadvertently reveals secret stuff to anyone, like a whiteboard that wasn't wiped after a meeting showing in the background or something like that. Best to just have all cameras taped over all the time.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
My department/company has apparently been mismanaged for years, but it’s actually pretty good since I started in September, i began on the same day as the new VP for our department after not having one for 5+ years. I went to lunch with the guy and he described a bunch of truly stupid poo poo about the way the executives thought of our team.

As of like 6 months ago, they needed to get approval from the CEO to order like a $30 headset lol

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
Budget crisis! Mandatory furloughs for state workers!

I'm a salaried college Prof, so I have to declare my own hours that I will be furloughed, but the rule is that I cannot declare the hours when I would be in-class. So, I am furloughed during my off time.

The really lovely part is for the Adjunct Instructors (Adjunct Instructors are part time, no benefits, and paid just to teach a class or two). They are also furloughed, during their off hours.

Fill out all this paperwork, get it approved up the ladder, in order to not come to work during the times you are not at work, and since you're not coming to work, we're going to reduce your pay. Contractually the state cannot just reduce our pay, so we get to go through this extra layer of BS.

Best part? With the pandemic, all the classes are online.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Before getting my rear end fired for not wanting to get COVID-19 "to save the economy", my boss would send me messages at 2:00 am asking me for urgent pirated designs. No I didn't get a big bonus for my effort when they kicked me out, they even discounted me a lot like 80% of what I was supposed to get.

Katamari Democracy posted:

My previous job that I recently got laid off from was a terrible company that loved to gossip and use me as a scapegoat. Two weeks before I got laid off I had Covid and went to the hospital due to severe chest pains and vomiting. Once I was recovered and I called asking if I can return to work I got a letter in the mail the next day on my separation papers.

E- The rest is meh

Hahahaha. I got really sick before the roni pandemia blew up. They wanted me back in the office even if I wasn't 100% well yet. Everyone in my former workplace got sick, one guy nearly died. They act as it wasn't a big deal. They also make everyone work full hours and more even if it is forbidden, wish I had good proof to snitch on them.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puň essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

zoom meetings for "self care" which is an hour of listening to people bitch. I usually gamble on horses in another tab during these.

In the grand scheme of things, this is the most trivial poo poo, but we have a cohort of office catladies who were aggressively demanding more (like, daily) social zoom meetings because they "miss being in the office". Which is to actually say that they miss gossiping past each other about things they watched on tv, things their cat did, and exciting anecdotes about people no-one in the office has ever met. This is particularly annoying, because I'm actually in a great position in terms of working from home since everything I do is personal client based, and if I clear everything by lunch then I can (unofficially) sleep through the afternoon. I cannot confirm nor deny resorting to fighting fire with fire by finding other members of the team who are excited to talk about Great Goals Of The 90s (hot tip: this is also a fun way to annoy people in the soccer forum) and also Weird Goth Bullshit, until ultimately the demand for hour-long calls to discuss Peter Beardsley and Ed Gein started to subside.

note: please do not point out that the moral of my story is that I made a bunch of cool friends out of spite in order to troll lonely people during a global pandemic, that would be quite rude

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
We had a gathering where everyone at the company was treated to dinner and an open bar.

The next morning, we were put into little groups and forced to "bond" by coming up with ways to improve our company's platform. Most of us just sat there. :geno:

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Since we've moved to work from home I mostly gently caress around all day. My boss doesn't care and acknowledges this, saying to just have something up on my laptop if IT every spies on me. He asks me to do things that we'll have to coordinate on, never gets back to me, then does them himself. We're supposed to have biweekly check in with our dept coordinator but the check ins are now mostly the two of us with questions for our boss, who doesn't show. The coordinator suggests things to do related to the grants im working under, which aren't really relevant or necessary but I mostly do them just to have something to do. Examples include adapting an extensive quarterly report template from their main grant to be used with mine, even though I won't ever actually use it to report since i already have a template we've been using for years with the granting agency, and all the extra detail from the other one is stuff they don't ask us to report on

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I make the schedule for our district and my managers are always like oh Mae you're so on top of the schedule you do such a great job and then they go and change everything after I've finalized it.

And then I get emails like 'why am I scheduled to be at two stores on this day' or 'how come I don't have my PTO' I don't know dogg ask our airhead rear end DM!!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

The lifers ive talked to at my org and conveyed my concerns with regarding how dysfunctional everything is have all told me "get out while you can because if you work here too long you might not be able to function in a normal workplace"

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
they started making us use this 20 year old software to log our time as salaried employees. you have to log each day individually with 10+ clicks that load slow as gently caress and assign the time to coded project numbers one at a time by entering the project number manually. it takes me 15 minutes a day of mind numbing clicking and entering because my job makes me touch a lot of projects on a daily basis. :waycool:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Currently contracted to the largest company I've ever worked for. Big billions and offices in scores of countries etc. Honestly pretty surprised how not terrible a lot of stuff is, but they have this bizarro thing where there are so many overlapping internal software processes. Like multiple document sharing/editing methods and so on. And part of that is they have like 5 ways to contact people, and different generations of employees have personal preferences, so you have to have like 3 chat apps, comment notifications and email open at all times.

The other day somebody asked me to use a bunch of image assets and sent them to me individually on a Google Slide rather than the files themselves. And you can't save images off Google Slides, oh no, you have to transfer them to Google 'Keep' and then open them in a new page because you can't download files from that either because reasons. And I can't make any edits on the weenie company laptop I have to use because it's all set up with security and VPN stuff, so I have to email it to myself and do it at my desktop, then send it back to the laptop.

This is my first job in COVID times since I finished my MA in December and it's pretty weird to just...work during the day and nobody is ever looking in on me. There are no meetings on a Friday, so I just went through the whole day and didn't speak to anyone other than via little popup comments. Pretty chill.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Have corporate branding that is hip and punk and cutting edge in a traditionally pretty dry industry, then hem and haw about homeoffice during a pandemic.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

My current job is actually pretty great, not much to complain about, aside from the workload/pace being a bit frantic at times but management is generally understanding and supportive of us. I have worked a few engineering jobs now though and I have to ask, does ANYONE in engineering/manufacturing use good ERP software? They all seem like they were written by some loving university student who just discovered Access. Why is enterprise software always so bad? I don't get it

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

My current job is actually pretty great, not much to complain about, aside from the workload/pace being a bit frantic at times but management is generally understanding and supportive of us. I have worked a few engineering jobs now though and I have to ask, does ANYONE in engineering/manufacturing use good ERP software? They all seem like they were written by some loving university student who just discovered Access. Why is enterprise software always so bad? I don't get it

Ive worked with multiple financial booking and some such softwares and they legit all look like they were made with windows 95. Coincidentally the users are mainly women above 40 who started working during the windows 95 era.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I have to wear an armband that buzzes and flashes when I get within six feet of another employee since covid came around. I work in a small control room monitoring a bunch of computers with 3 other people. So these alert armbands just go off constantly for 12 hours like we’re playing laser tag. :waycool:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pimpcasso posted:

I have to wear an armband that buzzes and flashes when I get within six feet of another employee since covid came around. I work in a small control room monitoring a bunch of computers with 3 other people. So these alert armbands just go off constantly for 12 hours like we’re playing laser tag. :waycool:

lol

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Pimpcasso posted:

what color armbands? O_o

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I think ERP software tries to just do so much, and every companies implementation needs to be so insanely customized that they’re all just bloated pieces of poo poo. Plus the devs probably underspend and overplan the engineering, they probably have to spend more on resources for implementation than they do on dev. Idk, but they are all extremely bad.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
About a decade ago a lovely vbs script did some real damage. Management was briefed on what a 'script' was and they made the only logical decision: 'NO MORE SCRIPTS!!'

The order was quickly reversed when they looked at the employee timesheets*

*of course nobody dismantled the horrible web of scripts in place but in our time reporting we simulated the scenario

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Me: “Here is a list of information and documents I need from you to handle this matter. I can’t get started until you give me answers and responsive documents to ALL these requests. Also, I bill by the hour, and I’m not cheap, so it’s in your best interests to bring everything to me in an organized manner and, preferably, in an electronic format.”

Client: “I totally understand. I’ll get [their assistant’s name] right on it!”

Two weeks later, I’ve received maybe half of what I need in slow drips, most of it in hard copies with absolutely no organization. I have also received a ton of documents that have only the most tenuous relevance to my requests upon review.

*another two weeks later*
Client: “So where are we on this? I can’t afford to keep spending money on this matter.”

*repeat*

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I have surprisingly little to complain about even though I basically work for real life quivalent of Arasaka. One thing to that is clearly obvious and counterproductive during covid is that we don't have an instant messaging system. So all our emails from reports to client email to trivial questions that gets CCd to the entire company is just one big dump in our Outlook.

I get why no IM system has been done. Because this company is literally hundreds of years old and if it didn't exist before it'll be a multi-year painstaking process to implement it.

In conclusion, Johnny Silverhand being able to just waltz into Arasaka Tower makes sense since they probably had to run any security upgrades through the Japan office and that is a loving nightmare of red tape.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

A Fancy Hat posted:

I had a zoom meeting last month and for the first 10 minutes they played music and told everyone to dance. Like a half dozen people were doing it (out of a few hundred) and they just kept that music on loop for the whole time. At the end of the meeting they said they didn't have enough "dance footage" and told everybody to put their cameras on.

Most of the meeting was talking about how we aren't getting raises or bonuses this year despite having one of the most profitable quarters in company history.

Those same people started dancing again.

No exaggeration I would rather dig ditches for a living than have a job like that. I have no idea how you do it (maybe I'm just miserable and hate fun or something).

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Pimpcasso posted:

Lmao

I assume you take them off when a manager isn't looking??

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

No exaggeration I would rather dig ditches for a living than have a job like that. I have no idea how you do it (maybe I'm just miserable and hate fun or something).

As someone whose job consists largely of digging ditches (archaeologist) I have to tell you it's definitely better than that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

At a certain point you just tune that stuff out. Or change your camera footage to be a static loop.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I work for a small home decor retail company with two stores. They recently moved to a new inventory management system from the old one that was "copyright 1997-2003" and changed how they defines SKUs.

Everything in sku #123-45-67 has the same basic structure, but the material and finish can be totally different. We might order 8 red chairs with white wood and 8 leather ones with brown wood, and they would all be under the same sku. Each individual piece gets an inventory number (this one red chair shares sku number 123-45-67 but gets inv number 3210; 3211 might be another red chair, or it could be a vase, just depends when the po went through) but there is no grouping of identical items whatsoever. The only way to know which inventory numbers go with the red ones and which go with the leather ones is by looking at the details of each item and comparing the fabric and finish names one by one.

Part of my job is to photograph all the inventory, and since I don't want to take 8 pictures of identical chairs, I have to take one and then hunt down all the matching ones in the new-but-still-lovely software that logs you out after 15 minutes and can't be open in multiple tabs.

And if we decide to order more with the same options in a few months, the only thing that will stop me from taking new photos is if I just happen to remember these are repeats. I have no idea how the sales team puts up with this poo poo when someone asks for a set of dining chairs.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Volmarias posted:

At a certain point you just tune that stuff out. Or change your camera footage to be a static loop.

Ah, like that scene in Speed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sent this email last year

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
We somehow started using Skype, Webex Teams, Microsoft Teams, and Slack all at once. Some people now just use one and passive aggressively refuse to answer any messages on the other platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DickParasite posted:

We should have had something like that, they decided to switch everyone to office 365 web edition and gave zero instructions. As it turns out outlook web has less features and function than the outlook client. It was determined that the web client is actually bad for most people and they're slowly rolling people to the better license.