Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

PookBear posted:

I played at release and loved this game but it was very much still unfinished. Is it worth playing again, or is there an update on the horizon I should wait for?

there hasn't been like a "50% more stuff all at once" type patch, but it's absolutely been a steady stream of fixes. You can see here almost all the perks are fixed, most of these were 0 at release: https://www.bannerlordperks.com/perk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

PookBear posted:

I played at release and loved this game but it was very much still unfinished. Is it worth playing again, or is there an update on the horizon I should wait for?

Getting better, but still not there. For me, it has riding around on a horse chopping up fleeing peasants, so it's already good.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

PookBear posted:

Basically same story here, giving it another shot now so wondering if there's any QoL mods I should pickup or any issues I should look out for?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Hey,

So is there any way to increase leadership reasonably other than leading armies?

Does that mean you can't really gain leadership until you become a vassal?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think super high morale and buying drinks for your men in the bar are the other options.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TescoBag posted:

Hey,

So is there any way to increase leadership reasonably other than leading armies?

Does that mean you can't really gain leadership until you become a vassal?

In essence, no and yes respectively. There are other ways like high morale, but that's really really slow compared to leading armies.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Delamore posted:

Basically same story here, giving it another shot now so wondering if there's any QoL mods I should pickup or any issues I should look out for?

There's a bannerlord tweaks mod that reduces the worst parts of the grind and leveling, but I could not get it to work. It's really not necessary, but with that said there are some leveling curve changes in 1.5.7 which are supposed to help. I'm only playing 1.5.6 atm, so I'm not sure how effective they are.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
So, looking at wikis isn't helping - I'm trying to find a one handed polearm for use whilst mounted up, something with decent swing/length so that I can use bow/arrow and polearm/shield
Are there one handed polearms that cover this? I've only been able to see two handed so far.

Also, subsequent question - wanderers are randomly generated, right? If they all happen to die, that's it, no more are made after initial worldgen? The world I made just had 4 female hirable NPCs and I wonder if there's a limit, or if re-rolling is a thing.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Iymarra posted:

So, looking at wikis isn't helping - I'm trying to find a one handed polearm for use whilst mounted up, something with decent swing/length so that I can use bow/arrow and polearm/shield
Are there one handed polearms that cover this? I've only been able to see two handed so far.

Also, subsequent question - wanderers are randomly generated, right? If they all happen to die, that's it, no more are made after initial worldgen? The world I made just had 4 female hirable NPCs and I wonder if there's a limit, or if re-rolling is a thing.
I've never seen a one handed polearm that you can swing, only thrust, even when swinging is a 2H option. It could probably be modded in. Couched damage from a one handed lance will still one shot everything, but setting it up obviously takes longer than harvesting looters with every swing of your scythe.

Honestly, on all my mounted archer characters I go bow, two quivers, and swingy 2H polearm. I might swap to sword and shield for a siege or something but it's not necessary in open combat.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Out of boredom poked around to see if any Napoleonic mod is in the works.

Just one. But they are doing single and multiplayer guys. We've not got a coder, but that is cool we making assets!

Going to be a long long wait.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Iymarra posted:

If you really want swing and shield, you're limited to one-handers, so I'd just look for the longest one-hander you can find. Personally I'd just go with a two-handed polearm and have three modes: bow/arrow, shield only (in transit), and polearm-only (whip it out once you're close enough to use it). The shield won't do you much good while you're swinging anyway.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

What kind of a coward uses a shield?? *Slides bow and arrow under the rug*

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Incidentally, if one of our more learned posters could help, I would love an explanation as to why samurai and friends never used shields.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tree Bucket posted:

Incidentally, if one of our more learned posters could help, I would love an explanation as to why samurai and friends never used shields.

Real samurai? Wasn't iron super rare on the island, so having an actual sword and even halfway decent armor would make you invulnerable against the peasants with their wooden stick weapons? I'm not learned, but didn't they also use heavy capes/cloaks to catch arrows and function in a similar fashion to shields in the western nations?

Edit: I think all of that ties into sword design, as well. The fragile, curved samurai style swords were designed for slicing up hordes of unwashed farmers. Western sturdy stabby swords were fine for chopping up farmers, but also had a bit more utility against someone in armor.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 28, 2021

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Tree Bucket posted:

Some quick googling suggests that, in fact, they did, and the idea that they didn't is a western pop-culture misunderstanding.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Voyager I posted:

Some quick googling suggests that, in fact, they did, and the idea that they didn't is a western pop-culture misunderstanding.

Dammit, pop-history! Why must you always be wrong.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If there is a pole arm that exists for your requirements, no one has noticed it because it probably has terrible stats damage wise.

My suggestion is learn to block manually and get yourself a second quiver of arrows and a rhomp. Unless that’s been nerfed.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

litany of gulps posted:

Real samurai? Wasn't iron super rare on the island, so having an actual sword and even halfway decent armor would make you invulnerable against the peasants with their wooden stick weapons? I'm not learned, but didn't they also use heavy capes/cloaks to catch arrows and function in a similar fashion to shields in the western nations?

Edit: I think all of that ties into sword design, as well. The fragile, curved samurai style swords were designed for slicing up hordes of unwashed farmers. Western sturdy stabby swords were fine for chopping up farmers, but also had a bit more utility against someone in armor.

I mean, Samurai didn't really fight against hordes of unwashed farmers, same way European medieval armies didn't have conscripted peasant rabble in them. You also have to consider that just like in most other places on planet, the sword was a status symbol, a personal defence weapon when travelling or otherwise off-duty and in actual battle mostly a backup weapon (though in close combat, a shorter sword or a dagger, both of which the samurai had, would often be more useful if you were already at the point where you could not use your primary weapon).

Up until the the Sengoku Jidai I'm pretty sure the Samurai mostly fought as mounted archers, and on foot wielded two-handed polearms like the naginata or its predecessors if they did not use bows. At this time there were relatively few non-Samurai in armies, and the armies were small. Come the Sengoku Jidai when warfare becoems endemic and increeases greatly in scope and scale, you began seeing large numbers of non-Samurai added to the armies, the Ashigaru who are often characterized as peasant draftees, but in reality kind of ran the gamut from that to full-time professionals, with the most common thing probably being like a part-time semi-professional (who practiced farming or some trade outside of the campaigning season to sustain themselves).

It's here you began to see some of the warlords introducing shock cavalry tactics instead and alongside the more traditional mounted archery, as well as massed formations of drilled footmen armed with pikes, bows and eventually matchlock muskets. I don't really have a good answer for why shields don't seem to have been* used (they were very much used in China and Korea), though obstacles, barricades and various types of deployable cover were common. Perhaps a part of the reason is thatthe era of large-scale, high-intensity warfare in Japan corresponds with a rapid development of battlefield tactics that resembled contemporary European pike and shot tactics where two-handed polearms and missile weapons dominated the battlefield.

*And it seems they were.

Voyager I posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. It's probably a consequence of extrapolating the tactics and weaponry of the Sengoku Jidai too far backwards in time.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 28, 2021

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. It's probably a consequence of extrapolating the tactics and weaponry of the Sengoku Jidai too far backwards in time.

Oh, ok. Like looking at a tercio and wondering why knights didn't use shields, sort of thing.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Keep in mind that armor was significantly more useful than vanilla bannerlord portrays it to be.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That's the big one. Even paper armour could do a fairly decent job of deflecting arrows. Heavier samurai armour made out of leather and iron would be even more effective.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Panzeh posted:

Keep in mind that armor was significantly more useful than vanilla bannerlord portrays it to be.

No, I'm sure it's reasonabl *is slain by three rocks*

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Stumbled upon this screenshot that I took a few months ago (I think)

Brilliant, they will never expect us to make a stand here

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

In the game logic it's a good choice, the water will cut down on charge damage from cavalry quite well. Still won't prevent them from being slaughtered by arrows, though.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

GruntyThrst posted:

In the game logic it's a good choice, the water will cut down on charge damage from cavalry quite well. Still won't prevent them from being slaughtered by arrows, though.

That's the beauty of it. When they all die, the river simply washes their corpses away.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
What's the state of the game now? Last time I jumped in the game was kind of at a weird spot - a lot of the popular mods were defunct or hard to get working, but the game was also still pretty early access and rough

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

terrorist ambulance posted:

What's the state of the game now? Last time I jumped in the game was kind of at a weird spot - a lot of the popular mods were defunct or hard to get working, but the game was also still pretty early access and rough

Not much has changed tbh. Performance in combat is better though.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
They are actually updating fast enough that it's hard for modders to keep up because most updates still break mods. It's not that I want them to go slower, but I am looking forward to when it's Good Enough to have fewer, more substantive patches so that the mod scene can get healthier again. I have actively avoided going back to Warband because I have largely managed to get used to the new game's combat feel and (especially) troop controls, but I have a hankerin' for some full conversion mods.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I feel really lovely posting for tech support here, but I played 80 hours last April on Bannerlord, and it worked like a charm on my brother's c. 2018 hand-me-down computer.

Now, on the very same system, almost a year later, the launcher is crashing on start through Steam.

I've tried reinstalling, updating my graphics drivers, double-checking my firewalls and virus protection programs, and verifying file integrity through Steam, but I still can't play.

Anyone have any tips?

thank you very much

edit: thanks everyone, I think it's just that my OS is a POS; an update may have have pushed my CPU into obsolescence

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 31, 2021

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

DasNeonLicht posted:

I feel really lovely posting for tech support here, but I played 80 hours last April on Bannerlord, and it worked like a charm on my brother's c. 2018 hand-me-down computer.

Now, on the very same system, almost a year later, the launcher is crashing on start through Steam.

I've tried reinstalling, updating my graphics drivers, double-checking my firewalls and virus protection programs, and verifying file integrity through Steam, but I still can't play.

Anyone have any tips?

thank you very much

Is it straight crash to desktop? What version are you running?

downout
Jul 6, 2009

DasNeonLicht posted:

Anyone have any tips?

thank you very much

There might be a crash logs folder at C:\ProgramData\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\crashes, although others have mentioned this not existing. I haven't had to debug crashes, so I'm not sure.

That might have some details. It's also possible something is logged in the windows event viewer. Maybe in Window Logs > Applications or possibly System when it happens.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

My char is married and has been riding around with his wife for months now, and they are not having kids. Is there anything more needed to trigger this? I'm rarely waiting in a city or town, but from what I read I thought it wasn't necessary to stop and wait.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Its a pretty common problem apparently: https://old.reddit.com/r/mountandblade/search?q=wife+won%27t&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=year

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

HELP: My wife won’t stop having kids and locking them in a hostile castle. self.mountandblade

lmao

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Shear Modulus posted:

HELP: My wife won’t stop having kids and locking them in a hostile castle. self.mountandblade

lmao

:allears:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Smithing in Bannerlord: involves half a dozen raw materials with their own supply chains, two different character stats, an entire line of upgrades and perks, and countless combinations of hundreds of individual components, each of which can be reconfigured; it is central to the game's economy

Childbirth in Bannerlord: beby in castel now

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

honestly it would be sick if they implemented a parenting skill tree

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

drkeiscool posted:

got it, actually. if you use the console, the command is crafting.unlock_all_parts

its campaign.unlock_all_crafting_parts

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Muscle Tracer posted:

honestly it would be sick if they implemented a parenting skill tree

+3 to patience
-20% boredom in Forest terrain
Doubled vomit resistance

Maybe a kind of Smithy setup, where you hammer various genes together to create a well-balanced kid. (A quirk in the engine results in left-handed kids being worth twenty times more than the others.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Tree Bucket posted:

. (A quirk in the engine results in left-handed kids being worth twenty times more than the others.)

that's just realistic.